Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes

Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  20 reviews
THE MONSTERS ARE DUE ON BAKER STREET!Between the shadowy realms of fear and the unforgiving glare of science lies a battleground of unspeakable horror. In vile alleyways with blood-slick cobblestones, impenetrable fog, and the wan glow of gaslight, lurk the inhuman denizens of nightmare.CAN REASON PREVAIL WHEN ELIMINATINGTHE IMPOSSIBLE IS NO LONGER AN OPTION? Faced wit...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Edge (first published November 15th 2009)

Amy Sturgis
As Leslie S. Klinger says in the Forward, each of the stories in this collection is built on the premise of calling upon "the pillar of Victorian reason and intellect, Sherlock Holmes," "to confront the forces of darkness in every form." To my delight, a majority of these tales are quite good, and some are truly excellent.

Stephen Volk's "Hounded" ripped my heart into pieces as it considered an aged Watson followed by the spectre of the hound - or, perhaps, symptoms of his own failing mind. The...more
Kate
IVERALL: Generally creepy stories involving Holmes and monsters of some sorts. Some are pretty good, few are amazing, lots are meh. Worth the read but I prefer the companion "Gaslight Grimoire" much more.

Hounded - Stephen Volk (3/5): Weird enough, slightly eerie but just didn't quite do it for me.

The Death Lantern - Lawrence C. Connolly (3.5/5): Interesting reactions to watching brutality over and over again. Makes me wonder about all the violence we watch

The Quality of Mercy - William Meikle (4...more
Jeannie Sloan
Wonderful Sherlock Holmes stories.They were very entertaining and really showed well the Victorian mind set of the times in which Sherlock solved his crimes.
Phil
This is a brilliant book if you're into Sherlock Holmes, Gothic and Victoriana. Here's a review I wrote for Horror News.

Philip K.
This is a collection of Sherlockian tales in which, to quote Leslie S. Klinger’s Forward, “…the pillar of Victorian reason and intellect, Sherlock Holmes, would be called upon to confront the forces of darkness in every form.” Make no mistake. This is a collection of horror stories, not the usual Sherlockian investigations of human crime. In this book, Holmes and Watson deal with monsters, not twisted humans, but horrors out of myth and nightmare

In the opening tale, “Hounded,” by Stephen Volk, W...more
Lianne Burwell
After getting hooked into the recent Sherlock movies (Sherlock Holmes translated to modern times; highly recommended), I picked this collection up from the library. It's a set of short stories about Sherlock Holmes (the classic Victorian version) with a horror bent.

It was a slightly strange collection, since Holmes is so ultra-rational that throwing in horror touches is bizarre. Stories included the truth that was hidden about the Hound of the Baskervilles, the secret of Moriarty's fate at Reich...more
Rob
I do love me some Sherlock Holmes, and these stories are, on the whole, quite entertaining. There is only one serious flaw in the basic format of the book. Part of what I most enjoy about any Sherlock story is the mystery of each case. They generally start out baffling, seemingly impossible, but of course are ultimately explained through Sherlock's incredible deductive reasoning. In Gaslight Grotesque, however, the basic premise immediately gives away the solution. At the start of each tale in t...more
Michael
I've read a lot of Holmes short stories and this one is good but isn't my favorite. I kept putting it down and forcing myself to pick it back up and finish. It wasn't that I disliked the stories but I was indifferent about finishing.
William
May 18, 2010 William rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I've got a story in this one, but don't let that put you off... Stephen Volk, Simon Kurt Unsworth, Barbara Roden and many others more than make up for me :-)
Dave
A collection of fine tales featuring the world's greatest detective. You don't have to be a fan of Sherlock Holmes to truly enjoy this book.
Christopher Roden
i'd like to have made it three and a half stars, but that option's not available.
Riju Ganguly
his is a superb anthology and is very-very highly recommended to not only lovers of Sherlockiana, but also to all lovers of horror & macabre. Already several reviewers have given the summary of the stories, so I would simply state the reasons as to why you should try to get this book immediately, and thereupon immerse yourself in the depth of its grotesque as well as tight narratives:

1. "Foreword" by Leslie S. Klinger and "Introduction" by Charles Prepolec gives a good & neat idea about...more
Devyn
Jan 16, 2014 Devyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
horrible. this book was absolutely horrid. as a huge fan of sir connan Doyle's masterful Sherlock adventures, I found that these short stories did not stay true to the characters that he originally created. I tried to keep an open mind, but could not shake the feeling that in an attempt to modernize or create a scarier scenario, the authors changed the characters to suit their needs. it was insulting. but this is one girl's opinion.
Cathy
A very mixed bag. A few of the stories are excellent, a couple of others are genuinely lousy (both of the stories by the editors are in this category), and most of the rest are all right but don't quite come off -- they get the Holmesian tone wrong, or they're a little flat, or Holmes acts completely out of character, or the resolution is dull.

The best of the bunch: a Lovecraftian family curse that turns out to be horribly transmissable, and Professor Moriarty's revenge. There's a wendigo story...more
Kat
Jan 17, 2014 Kat rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I thought I might enjoy a more supernatural take on Sherlock Holmes, but these stories are real downers. I suppose the phrase "Nightmare Tales" should have warned me that this was more in the horror genre than just the fantastical. If you don't like depressing stories, then I don't recommend this book.
Vikas Datta
Grotesque is the correct title... promising material but fails to live up to expectations. There is Holmes, there is horror and creepy things but somehow the 'twain fail to meet. Some of it seems designed to make you squirm but without any logic, any coherence or valid linkages - present in at least four stories in the collection. Could have been much much better, or at least maintained the standards of "Gaslight Grimoire"
DavidO
The authors are very good at what they do, which is recreating the setting of a Sherlock Holmes story. I would have given it 5 stars but while the stories all started well, the last half was often, if not always, rushed. Each of these stories would have made a great novella. But as short stories I feel they just didn't offer enough. I would only recommend it to people who love horror and Holmes and short stories.
Heidi Ward

If you love Sherlock, you'll find things to like here, but like many anthologies, it's kind of hit and miss. Favorites included James A. Moore's Lovecraftian "Emily's Kiss," and Simon Kurt Unworth's exceedingly creepy "The Hand-Delivered Letter," in which Moriarty exacts a quite unexpected type of revenge.
David Read
Dec 04, 2010 David Read rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: die-hard Sherlock Holmes fanboys/girls
Okay collection of Sherlock Holmes stories written from a horror perspective. I dislike most short-story collections because you have to dig through a lot of insipid stories to find one or two good ones. Definitely true here. Only recommended if you're a die-hard Sherlock Holmes fan.
Annie
Couldn't finish it. Perhaps a bit too gruesome for this time of year. I get depressed enough at Xmas without help like this.
Ginger Weirich
Ginger Weirich marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Untold Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Supernatural Noir
  • Bewere the Night
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • The Return of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #1)
Soviet Policy and Its Critics Promises on a Ring of Stone Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes Rigor Amortis