Start by marking “A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)

A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  3,051 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
Take a trip to Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, where you'll meet the women of the Kauffman Amish Bakery in Lancaster County. As each woman's story unfolds, you will share in her heartaches, trials, joys, dreams ... and secrets. You'll discover how the simplicity of the Amish lifestyle can clash with the 'English' way of life---and the decisions and consequences that follow. Mo ...more
Published (first published March 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift of Grace

Holly
Jan 24, 2011 Holly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
May be the most annoying book I've read. I think the author went a little thesaurus crazy. No one 'walked' in this book. They sideled, sauntered, clomped, padded, shambled, tread, and schlepped. No one 'sat down', they 'sank'. I've never read anything like it. I always like stories with recipes as I love to try them out. I thought it was strange that the recipes in this book were not recipes for the foods mentioned in the story. It would have been interesting to see the shoo-fly pie recipe or th ...more
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
{{This review was updated to the Official Rating System on April 23rd, 2016. This book was first reviewed on June 5th, 2013.}}

About this book:

“When Amish Rebecca Kauffman gains custody of her English nieces, “blended family” takes on a whole new meaning.
Rebecca Kauffman’s tranquil Old Order Amish life is transformed when she suddenly becomes guardian to her two teenage nieces after her English sister and brother-in-law are killed in an automobile accident. Instant motherhood, after years of un
D.J.
Jun 26, 2014 D.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Can Rebecca be an Amish mother to two English girls?

I cannot imagine what it takes to write such a book as this… Amy Clipston has an amazing capacity for creating the perfect scenario!

It is perfect! A woman who left the Amish faith leaves instructions for her children to return to the family home if anything should happen to her.. and does Amy take the easy way out? Nope.

A Gift of Grace is a wonderful story about two sisters, forced to live with their Aunt and Uncle in an Amish community, after
Donna Zakem
Aug 24, 2009 Donna Zakem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two teenaged girls whose parents die in a tragic accident and are sent to live with their aunt and her husband in the Amish community in Pennsylvania. One girl adjusts much easier and better than her sister. Reading this book really opened my eyes to the way of the Amish and taught me about a whole other culture. It also taught me , as a Christian, that what I hear and believe sometimes, may not necessarily be what God is wanting me to hear and believe. An excellent book for a ...more
Camille
A Gift of Grace by Amy Clipston

This book is the first book in Amy Clipston's series, Kauffman Amish Bakery Series.

I have been hearing about this series for quite a while and have heard only the most positive things so I thought it was about time I take a dive into the series myself.

I have to admit, I was not disappointed!

In A Gift of Grace, Rebecca Kauffman has been trying to be a mother for years, with no success. Perhaps God just does not have it in His plans for her, or so she thinks. But whe
May 01, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My Gosh,this book was amazing. This book talks about healing, forgiveness and really listening to God. Yes this book is amish however this book is about a struggle through 2 english teenages, and the life of an amish family, and the loss of many things. I think anyone who reads this book will see that they can relate to one of the characters in this book some how some way. When you start this book I would suggest that you grab a box of tissues, it will be needed.

This book is the first book i
Anna
Jul 22, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
I listened to this as an audiobook.

The premise of this book really interested me. A childless Amish couple become guardians of their Englisch nieces when the girls' parents are killed in an auto accident. The two girls, Lynsey (spelling I'm not sure of as I never saw this in print) who is about 12, and Jessica (who is 15) have found their world completely turned upside down as they move from Virginia Beach and public school into an Amish community, where they are expected to adhere to a set of u
Rachel Brand
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect of this book and was pleasantly surprised. Although it is written in a rather simplistic manner, it suits the book and doesn't detract from the values of the story. Although written in the third person, I really felt like I got inside the heads of Rebecca, her husband, Daniel, and her nieces, Jessica and Lindsay. I felt like I was experiencing the hurt of the girls at being uprooted from their normal life and the confusion Rebecca had over what was the best ...more
Sydney
Jan 15, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't really describe my feelings for this book.

I originally enjoyed it about a year and a half ago (Jan 2013) but now rereading it, I realized that while I still do like it, I also noticed some things I didn't like.

I do like the plot, in a way. The girls parents died in an accident and now have to live with their Amish aunt and uncle and learn how to adjust some to their strong Christian values and simple way of living. I felt pained for Jessica and Lindsay, because I know how hard the loss
Sara
I loved this book - adored it - until the end. I will read the other books in the series because I enjoyed the characters enough to want to know what happens next. But I simply can't get over what happened at the end of the book that led to my disappointment.

(view spoiler)
2009
Zondervan
Fiction/Christian/General

Reviewed by Cindy Loven

Two neices, all of sudden Rebecca and Daniel Kauffman find themselves raising two neices, Rebecca's sister Grace, who left the Amish community when she was young and married and English man, has died in a tragic accident and left her sister as guardian over her two daughters.

Rebecca and Daniel, married fifteen years and childless, now have two teenage 'daughters' who have
Claudia
Mar 27, 2012 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a free Kindle download and I didn't expect it to be the great American novel, but, while the story had possibilities, the writing left a lot to be desired. Two teenaged girls are orphaned and find themselves under the guardianship of a very loving Amish aunt. The story is focused on the contrasts between their previous "English" life and the Amish life they must now live. Unfortunately, the novel barely scratches the surface of the many challenges they faced.
The most serious writing fla
Jean
Oct 06, 2011 Jean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I recently read a lot of heavy books, the Jaycee Dugard memoir, another on teen suicide, etc. So I decided I needed a light, feel good book before hitting my next more serious book. I downloaded this to my Kindle a while ago when it was free. This did the trick, it was light, but I didn't really enjoy it.

I hate to be overly critical since I only have a few minor things published, but the writing in this book is not great. The terms, "bit her lower lip" and crossed her arms over her chest" were r
Effie
Dec 21, 2010 Effie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a free Kindle download. I confess I don't understand the current craze of Amish novels. Most of the conflicts tend to center around whether or not someone will remain in the community or choose the worldly life. This novel, the story of two orphaned girls sent to live with their Amish aunt, was more full of stereotypes than actual emotions. Older sister rebels, younger sister embraces the faith. Amish family members make ridiculous accusations and the local bishop makes veiled threats. ...more
Abby
May 12, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I loved this book! This author is just amazing. I liked that she included the two teen girls in the book so I could relate to those. :) It was a really sad-sweet and inspiring story. And I learned some things from it which is always good! I am still quoting"compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" you will understand why after you read the book...which you, yes you whoever you are should totally read it!! Its wonderful
Julia Joachim
Aug 18, 2013 Julia Joachim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fourteen or younger girl, who likes bible school, enjoy quoting scripture, and believe that your life is defined by the men in it... Then this is the book for you. But if you are a grown up person who does not quote the bible on an hourly basis, and have half a brain or interest in literature,,, then I'd skip this book.
Karen Carmody
Apr 01, 2014 Karen Carmody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. This is the first Amy Clipston story that I've read. I have read other author's Amish stories and this one is not a disappointment. I love the characters. I was drawn into each of the character's lives and problems they were dealing with. I highly recommend the book.
Dora Wagner
Mar 05, 2015 Dora Wagner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february-2015, series
I really loved this first book in the Kauffman Amish Bakery Series. It was great beginning to the series. It was so good that I have been devouring the remaining books in the series.
Sonja
Aug 20, 2014 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not know if this kindle ebook is available as a paper or hard back book, but I read it on my Kindle for Free. Worth Reading.
Rebecca
Apr 06, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. A simple reminder to stop and listen for the shepherd's voice. I feel eager to read the rest of the books in the series.
Lori
Jan 11, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good....as some new twist from what normal amish fiction is....and leaves you hanging waiting for the next book =) Tears were shed and laughs were had.
Rylee Andrews
Aug 06, 2009 Rylee Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the characters and the combination of current-day life with Amish setting. Extremely well done - Kudos to Amy Clipston!
Vikki Sorensen
Feb 20, 2017 Vikki Sorensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book. The simplicity and duality of the two girls mirrors my own girls - one is really conservative and the other is really liberal. So I could totally relate to Rebecca trying to field the needs of both.

The writing style was simple but, for me, that just made it a fast read. And I loved reading about all the Amish traditions. It was a nice break from all the fantasy stuff I've been reading so I really enjoyed this.
Judy Adams
Feb 13, 2017 Judy Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great first book in the series, looking forward to the other 4. I love Amy Clipston books, it was hard to put this one down.
Rita
Jan 23, 2017 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I quickly became absorbed in the characters and felt so many emotions while reading. Amy writes from the heart and this book is no exception.
Judy
Nov 07, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked both the characters and the story line. I hope these characters continue on in the series.
'Chele
Dec 07, 2016 'Chele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love these books. There is pure, honest romance and feelings throughout each story. Plus each character grows as the story progresses. This one explains that sometimes it is best to let loved ones go.
Susan Jenkins (Tely)
Touching book about an Amish woman who becomes the custodian of her English nieces. It's interesting to see how the two girls settle into their lot in life. I'm hoping to read more of this series.
Britni
Jun 18, 2011 Britni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca is an Amish wife who's been told she cannot have children. When her sister Grace dies, she leaves Rebecca her two teenage girls giving her the chance to finally be a mother. It sounded intriguing to me and rightfully so. The book had a lot of potential, a great plot and characters, just poor execution in my opinion. The entire first half was great, Clipston developed not only each character fully but also developed the relationships between the characters. She posed realistic conflicts b ...more
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • Seek Me with All Your Heart (Land of Canaan, #1)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • A Widow's Hope (Miller Family, #1)
  • The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1)
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley, #1)
  • A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1)
  • A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley, #1)
  • The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1)
Hi, I’m Amy Clipston. I am an author of Amish and Christian fiction with HarperCollins Christian Publishing. Most of my books focus on the Amish community, faith, and love. I also write romance novels and young adult inspirational stories.

My books include:

Kauffman Amish Bakery series
• A Gift of Grace (3/2009)
• A Promise of Hope (3/2010)
• A Place of Peace (2/2011)
• A Life of Joy (1/2012)
• A Season
More about Amy Clipston...

Kauffman Amish Bakery (5 books)
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)