The Synonym Finder

The Synonym Finder

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Originally published in 1978 by the founder of Rodale Press, The Synonym Finder continues to be a practical reference tool for every home and office.
Published 1978 by Rodale Press (first published 1958)

Esther Bradley-detally
I don't use a Thesauras, and I suspect that is because I've been such a greedy reader, an ocean of words lives within my psyche and words spring up like wales larking in the ocean. I dunno, but a friend's husband (she is a writer) gave her The Synonym Finder, and it is fantastic. I will user it in teaching writing. I ordered one from Alibris Books on line, and this is a great site. Shipping is 3.95, and some books go as low as 99 cents.

So this is my year end's contribution to books that work for...more
Wade
I have used this book almost daily since the early eighties. For many years I had two shelves of thesauri and dictionaries above the desk; gradually, I narrowed that down to a few dictionaries and one thesaurus, this one. I happened to see the following review online recently and copy it here because i can't say it any better.

"This is the best thesaurus there is. It supplies more synonyms, analogs, parallels, equivalents and comparable words in English than any other source, online or off. No o...more
Nic Don
The Synonym Finder is an above-average, though dated, thesaurus that holds up fine today, but is no more useful than any other thesaurus: which is to say, not very. The Word Finder, however, is an incredible achievement that is still eminently useful and belongs on the desk of any writer or copy-editor. Rather than supplying alternatives to words, it provides a variety of common companion words: adverbs, adjectives and verb sets. Incredibly useful for any kind of writing.
Judith Kohnen
This is a must in your writing library! This book will not only provide you with a wide variety of words to use in all your writing, but will help you find “just the right word” to use. This book can also serve as a wonderful source for inspiration.
John Lee
I'm a writer and I'm shocked the cover hasn't fallen off of this book yet; I use it constantly. Excellent resource.
Donald
This thesaurus contains nearly fourteen hundred pages and a million and a half synonymous words. It is laid out in an easy to use format so the one word you’re looking for can be found quickly. Used in conjunction with a good dictionary, you should be able to use words in a way that readers can understand and enjoy.

This is one resource I would recommend for anyone serious about working with language, and should be a staple of every reference library. It is a comprehensive compilation of English...more
Evan
This is the best organized and fulsome thesaurus ever. But what is it about thesauri that make them useless to me when I am seeking that very precise word? Nine times out of ten I still don't quite find the word that has the subtlety and precision I want, yet I just know that it's out there. Most of the entries are ten-gallon words you wouldn't use in a million years unless you just wanted to look like a pompous ass. Maybe I need to make up my own.
Matt
This is the definitive thesaurus. It has synonyms for just about any word you might be looking for. And under words with multiple meanings there are subdivisions of synonyms for each different meaning. A great book for anyone who loves the English language (or anyone who can't quite find the word he or she is looking for).
Nathan
Apr 23, 2008 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students, Business Professionals
Shelves: reference
This book is the best thesaurus, or book of words and their synonym's, that I have ever used. I not only used it when writing papers in college, but I continue to use it when writing business correspondence. This book is a great addition to anyone's reference library that is involved in written communication.
Sandy
I gave this terrific book to my brother, the journalist. He decided it has been so useful to him that he credited it in his recent book, "Sacred Sea: A Journey to Lake Baikal". I thought that was pretty cool and thank Rodale for writing it and my friend Tom for first introducing me to it!
Cat
May 21, 2007 Cat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is the best book I've ever read. I've never had a thesarus, aside from the mandatory pocket thesaurus of middle school and high school, and let me tell you, I never knew what I was missing (a whole lot, apparently.) It's like having a cross-listed appendix of your dictionary.
Rachel
Feb 18, 2013 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
With a simple alphabetical arrangement this book has been expanded to include thousands of new words and expressions that have entered the language in recent years, and includes clearly labelled slang and informal words and expressions.
Amanda
i actually only have the Word Finder, but it has been my desk side companion of many years. in my often fruitless search for le mot juste, it has often come to the aid of this wordsmith in distress.
Elise
No writer should be without this book. My aunt gave it to me when I went to college, and I've used it on every document I've written for school or work.
Kristine Cheney
This book is a MUST HAVE for every author! I love it, but need to buy it in hard-cover since I use mine so often. This is a writer's bible! Very affordable!
Aubrey
May 03, 2010 Aubrey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Talked about on Dragon Page when talking about writing advice----also good podcast with GRRM:

Philosopher
The largest of synonym finders in English, as far as I know. Deserves to be on more shelves. Also deserves to be converted to electronic format.
Anita Smith
My grandmother (a former English professor) gave this to me when I went off to college. It is, hands down, the best thesaurus I've ever used.
Clayton Bye
If you're a writer and you don't own this book (or one like it), you're hampering your growth. It's an absolute must buy.
Patricia Burroughs
Even though I'm a purist and usually prefer Roget's, I have had this one for years and it has gotten a fair amount of use.
Rachel Olivier
This book is always by my side. I should probably get an up to date edition, but I love this one too much.
Katie
A must have for all wordsmiths! Go buy your copy now! Heck, splurge on the hard copy! It's worth it!
Kara
This is the most comprehensive thesaurus I've ever seen. I love it and use it often. It is my vade mecum.
Margaret Metz
This is the best thesaurus I've ever used. I enjoy using it and only wish I'd found it sooner.
Merrill Mason
Feb 18, 2008 Merrill Mason rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves words or writes
Shelves: favorites
My favorite writing tool. Much better than any thesaurus. Even helpful when titling your artwork.
Syrilda
Hands down, the best thesaurus money can buy. If you write, you must own this most helpful book.
Gretchen
Nov 23, 2009 Gretchen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gretchen by: Tom at Lippincott
This is just a sweet reference text; the easiest-to-use thesaurus out there.
Chris
Very good, high-quality, first-class, first-rate, superior, fine, excellent
This is a very helpful book, and I've made considerable use of it.
Scott
Sep 11, 2012 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The quintessential thesaurus for anyone who writes.
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Superior Person's Book of Words
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • Crazy English
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
Jerome Irving Rodale (surname accented on second syllable) (August 16, 1898 – June 8, 1971), was a playwright, editor, author, and founder of Rodale, Inc.

He was one of the first advocates of a return to sustainable agriculture and organic farming in the United States. He founded a publishing empire, founded several magazines, and published many books—his own and those of others—on health. He also...more
More about J.I. Rodale...
The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening How to Grow Vegetables and Fruits by the Organic Method Word Finder The Complete Book of Composting, Pay Dirt: Farming and Gardening with Composts