Start by marking “The Synonym Finder” as Want to Read:
The Synonym Finder

The Synonym Finder

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  390 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Originally published in 1978 by the founder of Rodale Press, The Synonym Finder continues to be a practical reference tool for every home and office.
Published 1978 by Rodale Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Synonym Finder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Synonym Finder

Mona Nomura
Jul 19, 2015 Mona Nomura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It may seem peculiar to review a thesaurus but, this is not just any thesaurus. J.I. Rodale's The Synonym Finder is magic on paper. There are tens of alternate word choices for almost every common word in the English language. The choices are so extraordinary it even serves as inspiration. This, is a must have for all who read and write. It's my best friend.
Esther Bradley-detally
I don't use a Thesauras, and I suspect that is because I've been such a greedy reader, an ocean of words lives within my psyche and words spring up like wales larking in the ocean. I dunno, but a friend's husband (she is a writer) gave her The Synonym Finder, and it is fantastic. I will user it in teaching writing. I ordered one from Alibris Books on line, and this is a great site. Shipping is 3.95, and some books go as low as 99 cents.

So this is my year end's contribution to books that work for
Wade
Apr 08, 2013 Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have used this book almost daily since the early eighties. For many years I had two shelves of thesauri and dictionaries above the desk; gradually, I narrowed that down to a few dictionaries and one thesaurus, this one. I happened to see the following review online recently and copy it here because i can't say it any better.

"This is the best thesaurus there is. It supplies more synonyms, analogs, parallels, equivalents and comparable words in English than any other source, online or off. No o
James
Nov 06, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
Laugh if you want, but this is by far the most cherished book I own. I use it almost every day for freelance writing, poetry, short stories, novels, articles, blogs, etc. I love some of the more arcane synonyms and phrases for common words, and just flipping through randomly is fun for a word nerd like me. Plus it's heavy enough you could kill a grizzly with it, should you have the need. A must own.
Judith Kohnen
May 21, 2014 Judith Kohnen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must in your writing library! This book will not only provide you with a wide variety of words to use in all your writing, but will help you find “just the right word” to use. This book can also serve as a wonderful source for inspiration.
K.L. Romo
Awesome, awesome book. Couldn't write without it! I've shown my 17 year old daughter how valuable it is, so...........hopefully she'll use it for her schoolwork.
Mike
May 29, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, writing, poetry
I use this when writing songs. Granted, there are online synonym finders, but there's something about paper...
Donald
Jul 13, 2010 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writer-reads, 2010
This thesaurus contains nearly fourteen hundred pages and a million and a half synonymous words. It is laid out in an easy to use format so the one word you’re looking for can be found quickly. Used in conjunction with a good dictionary, you should be able to use words in a way that readers can understand and enjoy.

This is one resource I would recommend for anyone serious about working with language, and should be a staple of every reference library. It is a comprehensive compilation of English
Celeste Leon
Aug 01, 2015 Celeste Leon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use this all the time in my writing, better than a thesaurus!
Jarom Later
Nov 29, 2014 Jarom Later rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this thesaurus.
Evan
Jun 26, 2009 Evan rated it did not like it
This is the best organized and fulsome thesaurus ever. But what is it about thesauri that make them useless to me when I am seeking that very precise word? Nine times out of ten I still don't quite find the word that has the subtlety and precision I want, yet I just know that it's out there. Most of the entries are ten-gallon words you wouldn't use in a million years unless you just wanted to look like a pompous ass. Maybe I need to make up my own.
Matt
Jul 26, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is the definitive thesaurus. It has synonyms for just about any word you might be looking for. And under words with multiple meanings there are subdivisions of synonyms for each different meaning. A great book for anyone who loves the English language (or anyone who can't quite find the word he or she is looking for).
Nathan
Apr 23, 2008 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students, Business Professionals
Shelves: reference
This book is the best thesaurus, or book of words and their synonym's, that I have ever used. I not only used it when writing papers in college, but I continue to use it when writing business correspondence. This book is a great addition to anyone's reference library that is involved in written communication.
Sandy
Feb 27, 2010 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this terrific book to my brother, the journalist. He decided it has been so useful to him that he credited it in his recent book, "Sacred Sea: A Journey to Lake Baikal". I thought that was pretty cool and thank Rodale for writing it and my friend Tom for first introducing me to it!
Cat
May 21, 2007 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves:
This is the best book I've ever read. I've never had a thesarus, aside from the mandatory pocket thesaurus of middle school and high school, and let me tell you, I never knew what I was missing (a whole lot, apparently.) It's like having a cross-listed appendix of your dictionary.
Rachel
Feb 18, 2013 Rachel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
With a simple alphabetical arrangement this book has been expanded to include thousands of new words and expressions that have entered the language in recent years, and includes clearly labelled slang and informal words and expressions.
Elise
Jan 11, 2010 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
No writer should be without this book. My aunt gave it to me when I went to college, and I've used it on every document I've written for school or work.
Kristine Cheney
Feb 26, 2011 Kristine Cheney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a MUST HAVE for every author! I love it, but need to buy it in hard-cover since I use mine so often. This is a writer's bible! Very affordable!
Aubrey
May 03, 2010 Aubrey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Talked about on Dragon Page when talking about writing advice----also good podcast with GRRM:

Philosopher
May 23, 2009 Philosopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
The largest of synonym finders in English, as far as I know. Deserves to be on more shelves. Also deserves to be converted to electronic format.
Anita Smith
Jul 16, 2008 Anita Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandmother (a former English professor) gave this to me when I went off to college. It is, hands down, the best thesaurus I've ever used.
Clayton Bye
Nov 29, 2009 Clayton Bye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a writer and you don't own this book (or one like it), you're hampering your growth. It's an absolute must buy.
Patricia Burroughs
Aug 18, 2011 Patricia Burroughs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, nonfiction
Even though I'm a purist and usually prefer Roget's, I have had this one for years and it has gotten a fair amount of use.
Rachel Olivier
Aug 25, 2008 Rachel Olivier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is always by my side. I should probably get an up to date edition, but I love this one too much.
Katie
Sep 05, 2007 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for all wordsmiths! Go buy your copy now! Heck, splurge on the hard copy! It's worth it!
Kara
Sep 25, 2010 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mybooks
This is the most comprehensive thesaurus I've ever seen. I love it and use it often. It is my vade mecum.
John Lee
Sep 13, 2014 John Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm shocked the cover hasn't fallen off of this book yet; I use it constantly. Excellent resource.
Margaret Metz
Apr 23, 2010 Margaret Metz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, writing
This is the best thesaurus I've ever used. I enjoy using it and only wish I'd found it sooner.
Merrill Mason
Feb 18, 2008 Merrill Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves words or writes
Shelves: favorites
My favorite writing tool. Much better than any thesaurus. Even helpful when titling your artwork.
Syrilda
May 26, 2013 Syrilda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, the best thesaurus money can buy. If you write, you must own this most helpful book.
  • The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • Flip Dictionary
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Crazy English
Jerome Irving Rodale (surname accented on second syllable) (August 16, 1898 – June 8, 1971), was a playwright, editor, author, and founder of Rodale, Inc.

He was one of the first advocates of a return to sustainable agriculture and organic farming in the United States. He founded a publishing empire, founded several magazines, and published many books—his own and those of others—on health. He also
More about J.I. Rodale...