Start by marking “Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1)

Wages of Sin (Cin Craven #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  976 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Dulcinea Craven descends from a long line of witches, and she has just inherited wild, untrained magical powers that she has no idea how to control. Now a ruthless vampire and an age-old demon are determined to enslave Cin and steal her power for their own. Her only hope is The Righteous, a band of warrior vampires who slay the rogue undead.

Among them is Michael, a fierce...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Wages of Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wages of Sin

Laura the Highland Hussy
I didn't quite know what to think about this series going in.

It's been rated highly by most everyone, and by all of my friends,so I was pretty sure I'd like it. BUT I'm not a huge fan of Urban Fantasy. I am very selective in the type that I do like (the Fever series, Mercy Thompson, Stormwalker). This book had every element that I like in an Urban Fantasy series: Love, magic, vampires, werewolves, and a likeable heroine. I am incredibly thrilled that I have the other 2 books in the series so th...more
AH
I just could not put this book down. Wages of Sin was a fantastic read. Set in London in the early 1800’s, it had that historical feel mixed in with paranormal elements and a touch of romance.

Cin Craven comes from a long line of powerful witches. She has not yet come into her powers – she is a bit of a late bloomer. Cin is being aggressively courted by a childhood friend Sebastian, Lord Montford. Cin realizes that Sebastian is a vampire and manages to escape by turning him into a weasel. Vowing...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
I really loved this book it has been on my shelf for a while, but for some reason I didn't read it, which was a BIG mistake. It was fantastic, it is set in the 1800's and is about Cin Craven, a woman from an ancient line of witches and also a viscounts daughter. When a vampire starts hunting her, she calls the Righteous a trio of vampires sworn to kill all evil vampires and that is when we are introduced to Michael, Devlin and Justine.

What I liked most about this book was the character of Cin, i...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Check out my review at http://shamelessromancereviews.blogsp...

After seeing numerous 'OMG this book is fantastic , I thought I would take this baby for a whirl.

So those of you that read my reviews often may know that I have a tendency to balk about some of the things on the cover of a book, the incorrect way things have been misinterpreted and so forth. Which is exactly what I going to do now.

Starting with the cover. This book is set is the very early 19th century. Where if my history is corr...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release August 08

It always gives me a thrill to discover a book by a new author…especially if after I finish their book I want to read MORE. Happily, this was the case with “Wages of Sin” by Jenna Maclaine. The author managed to strike just the right chord to create a fascinating historical tale of magic, vampires, and demons (oh my!) without leaving me feeling like I’d read it all before! I can hardly wait to see where she goes from here and I certainly plan...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jul 27, 2011 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Laura the Highland Hussy Hunsaker and AH
3.5 Stars!!!

This wasn't a bad book but it wasn't a 5 Star OMG booky either. At least not for me... but you all know how Picky Picky I am ;)

I'm kind of thinking its because it the girly wasn't American. I know... I'm awful ;) I just kinda think that girls back then who are English were snobs. I know Dulcie wasn't a snob but you know how it is.

I wish they all could be California GIRLS!!

description

Dulcie comes from a long line of girl-power witches when one day her parents kicketh the cauldron. She then find...more
Jessica
I read this when it was self-published, so maybe some of the things that drove me crazy are better now that it's made it through an editor. (Although, when I tried to give it another chance in its revised form, I found too many of the same problems, so I didn't ever finish the re-read).

Anyway, the sheer number of WTF? moments specifically related to the sociocultural context in which it was set made it almost completely nonsensical. (i.e., the world-building was crap. Those characters in that ti...more
Brandi ;)
I really liked this book. I enjoyed the main character, Cin, and the 3 vampires called The Righteous, Devlin, Josephine and Yum Yum, er I mean Michael.
Cin is originally a witch and not just any witch but she is a part of a line of very, very powerful witches. This little tidbit makes her attractive to the nieghborhood demon. She has to get help because she is only human, even thought she is a witch she has only recently come into her powers and has a little trouble controlling them. So she summ...more
(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes
Sometime it's wonderful when you find a book or series by chance. This was the case when I stumbled across Jenna Maclaine's Cin Craven series. I offered to read and judge some books for the upcoming RomCon and actually received Book 3 in this very series. Well that wouldn't do, I cannot read them out of order! I would have to get books 1 & 2.

So I started the journey with Wages of Sin and dove into the world of Cin Craven and 18th century England. Her name wasn't always Cin; in fact she was n...more
♥ Sarah ♥
Really enjoyed this! But first of all, I'm surprised that it wasn't called "Wages of Cin" instead of "Wages of Sin". You'd think, she'd take advantage of the pun, ya know?

But anyways, I really liked this book. It wasn't AS GOOD as I was expecting based on the reviews of Goodreads friends and people I follow. But it was very good! I don't know though, I was really tired yesterday while reading it so that may have played a role in that opinion.

I think the thing that I didn't like most about it was...more
Lynda Tatad
This is the first book in the Cin Craven series by Jenna Maclaine. I read a short story in an anthology that featured this vampire witch and the Righteous, a group of vampires that enforce the rules of vampires and protect the innocent. This book had come reccomended by a member of the Witches, Weres, Vampires and and more group, so I had to give it a try. I loved it!

Dulcinea Macgregor Craven grew up in the early 1800's in Surrey, England. A Viscount's daughter, she is descended from the Macgreg...more
Kerstin
Cin Craven is a hereditary witch, living in England during the 1800s. After her parents die in an accident, her power surfaces and she is finally able to use her magic which has been lying dormant for most of her life. Soon Sebastian, an estranged childhood friend shows up, proposing marriage to her which she refuses. Sebastian doesn't take no for an answer and tells her he will stop at nothing to make her his own, not even murder and Cin realizes that he has changed in more ways than one... In...more
Ren
I usually give the first book of the series 4 stars (rarely I give 5 stars)I do that because, even though the story was good, there still need more explanation which tell at the next book.

Dulcinea Macgregor Craven, or Dulcie,is a daughter of a Viscount, and she inherited magic from her mother, the famous Macgregor Witch.At one night, her parents got accident, and because of that Dulcie 's magic is awakened.In her mourning stage, her childhood friend, Sebastian come and want to marry her. When sh...more
Deborah

Review at my Blog

A vampire witch as a main character just sounds soooo cool, so I decided to give this one a try.

For some reason I thought the whole 18th century thing that was going on would only be a prelude. I really thought it would change to the present. I guess because there wasn't really a mention of the time it was set in, so I presumed ... wrongly. Bugger.

I would put this between books the likes of How To Charm a Rake and My Gentleman Thief or what not (I made these up), because this wa...more
K
*Interesting premise. A powerful witch turned vampire joins leagues with fellow do-gooder vamps to overcome an evil demon and save the world. The vampire-slayer theme is definitely not an original one but I thought the witch theme thrown in with it was a bit different.

*Good pacing but despite this I thought it was too wordy in spots. Like dialogue that tended to drag and over-description of irrelevant things.

*Character development was my main issue with this book, especially the development (o...more
Alexia Chantel
3.5 Stars

Book one in the Cin Craven series brings a great mix of historical, paranormal, and romance. Jenna MacLaine has a knack for stirring things up and creating a fun easy read.

MacLaine introduces you to the characters, Cin and the evil vamp right along with a tragedy. What a way to start a book! The pace is kept up throughout, you meet Michael and the Righteous. Some kick ass fighters that are fun to read about and come in rather handy for Cin when she finds herself in the thick of things.

T...more
Mrs. Badass
Overall, I enjoyed this book. I have a few issues, but they are mostly minor. It was a quick and easy read. Uncomplicated. I adored Michael and Devlin and Justine. The Righteous :) Cin and Michael? Eh. I didn't really believe it. It was just too fast, too love at first sight, too much deflowering :P and then Poof, the change. It worked for the story, but I just didn't feel it.

3.5/5 but I'm rounding generously up, these vampires don't sparkle, and are set in 18th century with corsets and breeches...more
Katyana
This was a really great start to a series. I am hoping that, moving forward, we'll get some detail about the various supernatural societies (the Vamps and their Dark Council, the witches and their clan, the werewolves), but this was a fabulous introduction to the characters. Definitely looking forward to more!
Darcy
I had a hard time getting into this one, my mind kept wandering, thinking about all the chores around the house I should do. Dulcinea annoyed me, her antics and thoughts turned me off. In the end this one just wasn't for me.
Linda
I absolutely LOVED this book and can't wait for the sequels.

You are the best, Jenna! Keep up the good work!

Linda
Theresa
Great start to the series. Exciting, with a wonderful plot. It explains the background details of the story world very well. Even how the team will continue on at the end. I love how the passionate romance doesn’t overwhelm the story.

Cin and Michael sure fell in love fast. It sounds like an Edward/Bella type meeting. They’d barely met and she’s the only one for him and he’s willing to run away and protect her for the rest of his life.

Near the beginning I don’t understand why Michael says she...more
Dorri
Dulcie was happy in her life as an aristocrat being the daughter of a Viscount and decendant of long line of witchs. She's been happy waiting for her magic to bloom and seeing the Ton of England. That is until her parents were claimed by death, she inherited her magic in a single uncontrolled burst and a vampire shows up at her door.

The vampire in question is her child hood freind, Lord Sebastian Montford, who shows up unexpectedly and takes an a bite of Dulcie quite against her will. With her p...more
Jonetta
Dulcinea Craven's world literally changed overnight when she found herself suddenly on her own and hiding from a childhood friend and now turned vampire. At a loss for what to do, she discovers the existence of a group of vampire slayers called The Righteous and, using her powers as a witch, summons them to her home. Dulcinea has an immediate attraction to one of the three who show up, Michael, referred to as the Archangel of the group.

I enjoyed the story but was troubled by some of the inconsis...more
Ithlilian
I did not know that this book took place in the 1800s before I read this for some reason. The language doesn't feel 100% genuine and accurate. It definitely doesn't compare to other books I've read in that time frame, and felt like more of an urban fantasy, but oh well, I'm not too picky about that. I appreciate that the novel started out explaining a little about the history of the main character Cin, and didn't just throw us into the mayhem and vampire hunting. On the other hand, we have to ex...more
Dawn
Dulcie is the daughter of a viscount and a witch. One night her family leaves for a party and they never return. While Dulcie (Cin) is in morning an old family friend has come to call on her, in part because he loves her but mostly because she has powers his master can use. In a fight to save herself Cin calls a group called the Righteous, vampires who protect people from other vampires who would harm them. Michael is part of the Righteous and it is almost lost at first sight between he and Cin,...more
Nina Ridyananda
Vampires will always be one of my favorite supernatural creatures.
I was a bit smitten with Michael, the Devil's Archangel. Okay, not a bit but a lot.

Dulcie loses her parents to an accident. She's a viscount's daughter and a descendant from a powerful witch family, Macgregor. She's a powerful magic-user. When her friend Sebastian comes back as a vampire and threatens her friends, she calls The Righteous, three vampires who devote their life to kill vampires going rogue, for help. The three Right...more
Historical Romance Books
Vampires, Witches, Demons, and Werewolves, -Oh My! “Wage of Sin” is a sinfully delightful read full of exciting twists and turns. Dulcinea Craven is a well to do Witch with no worries in life until her parents are killed on the way home from the ball. Now that her parents are gone, Dulcinea now has increased responsibilities. While in mourning, Dulcinea is confronted with a two thousand year old nut case female demon who threatens her life if she does not use her magic to open a portal to her ol...more
Jen
Well this was a pretty good book I think -
It has a pretty good storyline - and the author left it off really well - with lots of room to grow in the next few books that are out. I have the next 2 books ready to read -

In this story - Dulcinea plays the perfect roll to her high society status - but deep down , she wants more -

I had to ask my husband about the cover of this book - being that the book is from the 1800's and she is wearing a sleevless bright red - clinging gown - but she explains...more
Book Review Diva
Kathy Davie
The first in the paranormal-romance-adventure series, Cin Craven. I know, it's a busy little series. This story begins in 1815 England with a tragic loss for Dulcinea Craven. A loss compounded by the betrayal of a childhood friend. Under siege in her home, Dulcinea learns of The Righteous, a trio of avengers who can break this siege...if she can contact them through her witchcraft. Each step Dulcinea takes leads her deeper and deeper in toward a decision from which there can be no return.

Maclain...more
  • Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Forbidden Magic (Magic, #1)
  • Devour (Institut Scientifique, #1)
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files #3)
  • Dark Harvest (Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist, #3)
  • Blood Memories (Vampire Memories, #1)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Bond of Blood (Texas Vampires #1)
  • Matters Of The Blood (Blood Lines #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • La Vida Vampire (Oldest City Vampire, #1)
  • Edge Of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)
  • My Wicked Enemy (My Immortals #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
Jenna Maclaine has a BA in history from North Georgia College & State University. When she isn't writing she spends her time caring for the 80+ animals that share her family farm in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Official Website:

Jenna's MySpace Page:

Jenna's Facebook Page:
More about Jenna Maclaine...
Grave Sins (Cin Craven, #2) Bound By Sin (Cin Craven, #3) The Righteous The Eternal Warrior Strange Brew