Exposure: The Unusual Life and Violent Death of Bob Carlos Clarke

Exposure: The Unusual Life and Violent Death of Bob Carlos Clarke

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews
One of the most controversial photographers of his generation — photographer to the major rock stars and models — Bob Carlos Clarke was also a troubled genius who, in 2006, killed himself. Exposure is a compulsive account of sex, love, genius and corrosive despair.
Published July 14th 2009 by Ebury Press

Bad Shepherd
As a fan of Clarke I'm tempted to give it 4 stars, but objectively it only deserves 3.

Very slow to get started on the real subject matter - Clarke's life - with a lot of waffle about how the author came to write the book. This could easily have been dealt with in a one or two page introduction or prologue.

When it does get to the point it is a fascinating, heart warming an ultimately heart breaking story of a man who never thought he was good enough or appreciated enough which is admittedly a gre...more
Alan Walters
Having been long interestd in Bob Carlos from a photographers point of view, some of his images galvanised my desire to shoot and develop my own prints more than 25 years ago, when I saw this in the local pound shop, it was a must.
Certainly one of the most unusual books I've read, but there again, science is my usial fair.
If your interested in the man and his life, it is an enlightening tale.
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
Craig Stevens
Craig Stevens marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Tashvox
Tashvox is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2013
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Haloise
Haloise marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2013
RJ
RJ marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Olifox
Olifox added it
Nov 28, 2012
Andrew Thompson
Andrew Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2011
Joan Smith
Joan Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2011
Bliss
Bliss marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2011
Simon Garfield is a British journalist and non-fiction author. He was educated at the independent University College School in Hampstead, London, and the London School of Economics, where he was the Executive Editor of The Beaver.

His published books include:

* Mini-The True and Secret History of the Making of a Motor Car
* Exposure: The Unusual Life and Violent Death of Bob Carlos Clarke
* The Error...more
More about Simon Garfield...
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks Mauve: How One Man Invented a Color That Changed the World Our Hidden Lives: The Remarkable Diaries of Post-War Britain To the Letter: A Celebration of the Lost Art of Letter Writing