Bad Girls Go Everywhere: The Life of Helen Gurley Brown

Bad Girls Go Everywhere: The Life of Helen Gurley Brown

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  42 reviews
When reviewing the great figures of feminism, few would call to mind the creator of the Cosmo Girl, but as Jennifer Scanlon argues in her fascinating biography Bad Girls Go Everywhere: The Life of Helen Gurley Brown, the longtime editor of Cosmopolitan and diva of the New York magazine world powerfully changed the way modern culture views the single woman.
From Brown's fir...more
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

nicole
Jul 26, 2012 nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I've been poaching a lot of books from The Hairpin's recommendations and this piqued my interest immediately. I suppose it was the title. But the book should really be called What We Talk About When We Talk About Why Helen Gurley Brown Is A Feminist. Cause damn, that is all we talked about. Some chapters read like term papers when what I wanted was the sizzle I used to associate with Cosmo pages.

Don't get me wrong -- I appreciated the argument that HGB played a large, often unnoticed or undocume...more
Karen
I had never heard of Helen Gurley Brown before and as someone who came of age in the 1990s, I had spent very little time thinking about feminism or the role of women in the US other than to occasionally feel grateful that it was never an issue for me. This book inspired me to really examine some of my views of the past and present. The basic question is whether Helen Gurley Brown (author of Sex and the Single Girl and editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan for 32 years) is truly a feminist or not.

She w...more
Lambeam
This book is an academic treatise mysteriously packaged as a best seller. We have 200 pages of endless minutia on the life of HGB plus 40 pages of footnotes. We learn what clubs she joined in high school, about her acne, her weight and told (twice) that she was a thrifty while her husband was a big tipper. Far too much information. While the author makes a case that HGB was a feminist in a way - encouraging women to find self worth through work (along the lines of Betty Friedan)and - more than o...more
Sonal
Helen Gurley Brown has had an amazing career and really impacted women's issues even before she was the editor of Cosmo. This book was written more like a thesis or research paper and it didn't do much to humanize a fascinating woman well ahead of her time. It was interesting to read how Helen's adolescence shaped who she became and the choices she makes but the book just came across as too clinical.
Carol
really enjoyed, even if a few of the chapters read more like conference papers, and the subject came in and out of the picture. When she was there, she was very, very there.
Laine
Dense (and poorly written) bio of a free thinker. What a woman!
Unwisely
Like many books I've been reading lately, this one came from a reading list I made several years back. So I didn't really know what I was getting into. Short version: it's sort of a biography, and sort of a book about a book (which I've never read) Sex and The Single Girl. Which turned out to be really interesting.

I went to college just around the time third wave feminism was hitting, and while I'm vaguely familiar with major players in the second-wave - and of course I read Cosmo - I really had...more
Kristen
As a straightforward biography, this was good, and it was amazing to see how Helen Gurley Brown came from nothing to become a writer and the editor of a major magazine. That being said, I found I wanted much more critical analysis of Helen Gurley Brown's feminism, but what I got was Scanlon quoting her (again and again and again) as Gurley Brown says, "no really, I'm a feminist, Cosmopolitan is a feminist magazine, seriously" which was not enough.

I also wanted to read more on Gurley Brown's imp...more
Mary McCoy
If you're a fan of Mad Men, this is the perfect book to read before the new season starts. Author of Sex and the Single Girl (1962), and longtime editor of Cosmo, HGB comes out a cross between Joan and Peggy. She's part the adventurous sexpot who manages to negotiate affairs in the workplace, manipulate the boys' game to suit herself, and still come out looking professional. And she's part the driven, hard-working, creative career girl, hoping to get to the corner office by virtue of her brains....more
Kay
I found Scanlon's claims to be untenable at times, particularly in regards to arguments that Helen Gurley Brown was a founding member of the second wave feminist movement (she attempts to do so by pointing out that Brown's book "Sex & the Single Girl" came out a year before Betty Friedan's "The Feminine Mystique"). I agree that Brown was a woman who was bending the rules, but it seems to me that she still generally kept within the confines of social norms. She wanted to bend the rules, not b...more
Kristen Northrup
This would be a great choice for an ambitious book club, because I spent a lot of time going "Yes, but..." and frustrated that there was no one around to actually discuss it with. I did read Sex and the Single Girl about a year ago. The academic defending-a-thesis tone isn't too heavy, although it leads to some distractingly odd (ivory tower?) statements (by the author, not by Brown) about things like why women dye their hair, what is a healthy daily calorie count, and what a grain elevator does...more
Ann
For those of us that spent high school/college in the 70's and 80's, this book is a must read about a fascinating woman at the forefront of the "woman's lib" movement. Love her or hate her (I love her) it's an interesting view of the times and what made her so successful. It does read a bit too much like a doctoral thesis for me, but so fun to revisit the issues and see how far we've come (or not, as the case may be). She stood up to rabid feminists, (who still deny they set the movement back wi...more
Helen Gurley Brown is more interesting than the book itself. The book's thesis is encapsulated in this sentence: "Helen Gurley Brown...invited in to feminism another important but often invisible group, working-class women, largely but by no means exclusively white, whose goals included financial independence, the freedom to engage in sexual activity outside of marriage, and the enjoyment of, rather than a rejection of, the fruits of capitalism. Interesting thesis, and one which Scanlon proves r...more
Carol Littlejohn
Helen Gurley Brown is the "inventor" of the Cosmo Girl from Cosmopolitan magazine and author of 1962's book "Sex and the Single Girl." Practically everyone knows that, but what you might not know is that Helen Gurley Brown had a great deal to do with the rise of feminism. The author contrasts her life with Betty Friedan (writer of "The Feminine Mystique") since they both are contemporaries. Brown represented the single (and underpaid) uneducated woman; Friedan represented the well-educated house...more
Witchyrichy
After providing details about Brown's childhood and early work history, the book headed into more sociological territory, marking Brown as a founder of the second wave of feminism. There were general comments about how she guided Cosmopolitan but no real details. For instance, I was very interested in how they came to the decision to do the centerfold! The last chapter seemed thrown together, focusing more on her weight than on her continued accomplishments.
Mereke
Whether you find HGB inspiring or uninspiring, and I'm not sure which camp I'm in myself, this book reads like a college thesis that no one bothered to edit. The author, a clear fan of HGB, includes every mundane detail of HBG's life (never once calling her anything other than her complete and full name "Helen Gurley Brown") and then just repeats and repeats and repeats her thesis until you're so sick of it, you can barely soldier on to the next paragraph. I suspect it will make for interesting...more
Gail
This book should have been a long Vanity Fair article. Once you know she was for some, a feminist ahead of her time or in the eyes of others, retrograde and damaging to the women's movement, that's it.
no juicy gossip here, as it's a biography and not an autobiography and she hasn't really interviewed the author, but gone over her personal papers on file at smith college. I wouldn't recommend it, but some interesting discussion of the history of the feminist movement, and the differences between...more
judy
I hate to admit it but Scanlon's take on Gurley Brown as a feminist pioneer rings true. At the time I didn't think of her as a sister but after reading Scanlon I see that I was hung up on feminist orthodoxy. Gurley Brown does deserve recognition and I'm delighted that she is getting it while she is still alive (84?). The positive and negative here is that the author is an academic. Her analysis is superb but, sadly, the book isn't fun. As hard as Gurley Brown worked (and still does) she is the o...more
Karen
Interesting subject but the writing was dry and boring. I read half and then skimmed through the rest.
Eva
An interesting biography of an interesting, talented and spirited woman: longtime Cosmo editor Helen Gurley Brown. I found the dialogue around feminism thought-provoking, particularly Helen's identification of herself as a feminist, and Cosmo as a feminist magazine, despite some strong views to the contrary from other feminists. She is an interesting character, and her story is instructive. A piece of history.
Katherine
I think that Jennifer Scanlon successfully makes the argument that HGB was a feminist, although I continue to believe that she was a capitalist above all. Still, this book is a fascinating look at the life of a very fascinating lady. I enjoyed reading it with Sex and the Single Girl and would suggest doing the same.
Kaitlyn Wb
I liked what I read of this one pretty well, although it was VERY clear that it was written by an academic, who kept hounding the point that HGB was a feminist even if she was ignored by other 2nd wave feminists and liked sex. I did not finish this one before I had to bring it back to the library.
Darcie
One of the best biographies I've read. Seriously! More academic than the title lets on, the book incorporates traditional biographic-style material into the larger story of feminism as it unfolded during Helen Gurley Brown's life. Very interesting.
Angela
I think Helen Gurley Brown is absolutely fascinating. Only in the U.S., can someone grow up in "hillbilly" Arkansas, move to LA, work hard, become a trailblazing author, and then an enormously successful magazine editor.
Janet
I heard Helen Gurley Brown speak in 1985 when I was studying journalism. She was very funny and very smart.

I didn't learn a lot more about her than I already knew, but the book was still very interesting.
Jamie
So inspiring. I learned so much about Helen Gurley Brown and her life by reading this book that I found myself bringing her up in casual conversation. A well-researched portrait of my new professional idol.
Leila Cohan-Miccio
Great: gives a really compelling case for Helen Gurley Brown as feminist icon, despite all the problematic things you're thinking of as you read this. Her life would make a hell of a TV show.
Margaret Sankey
I'm still really hoping that this is where they're going with Peggy on Mad Men--an indulgent older husband who thinks she'd be great running a magazine. Clearly that wasn't Duck.
Christin
Gurley Brown, longstanding editor of Cosmo, authorized this impeccably researched biography. Take it from this non-Cosmo gal: A must-read for understanding modern womanhood.
Sandy
Hidden Forest Book Club (HFBC) Do not agree with her philosphy of life but found some details interesting. I found the writing style a bit dry - a thesis maybe?
  • Sex and The Single Girl
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today
  • Crazy Salad: Some Things About Women (Modern Library Humor and Wit)
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
  • When You Lie About Your Age, the Terrorists Win: Reflections on Looking in the Mirror
  • Mommy Wars: Stay-at-Home and Career Moms Face Off on Their Choices, Their Lives, Their Families
  • I Am Woman: A Native Perspective on Sociology and Feminism
  • We Killed: The Rise of Women in American Comedy
  • Basquiat: A Quick Killing in Art
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • A Year in Van Nuys
  • Edie: Girl on Fire
  • Spoiled: Stories
  • Us: Americans Talk About Love
The Gender and Consumer Culture Reader Bad Girls Go Everywhere: The Life of Helen Gurley Brown, the Woman Behind Cosmopolitan Magazine American Women Historians, 1700s-1990s: A Biographical Dictionary Significant Contemporary American Feminists: A Biographical Sourcebook Inarticulate Longings: The Ladies' Home Journal, Gender and the Promise of Consumer Culture