Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02 (Yotsuba&! #2)

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02 (Yotsuba&! #2)

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  2,637 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Ohhhhh! Yotsuba's back! Today, Yotsuba was drawing Jumbo, okay? That's Daddy's REALLY, REALLY BIG friend. He's real nice and I guess a big baby. But he's too big to draw in Yotsuba's sketchbook! So Yotsuba drew Jumbo on the street in front of our house! Cool, huh? But Ena's friend Miura, who has wheels on her feet, said Yotsuba was bad at drawing...she's wrong, right? RIGH...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Yen Press (first published April 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02

Bill
It is very, very hard to not be completely charmed by this series. If you can read this and not laugh or at least smile, you probably don't like Christmas or puppy dogs, either. Jerk.
Adiba
Great book! its hilarious, and cute. the book which is part of a series, is about a young girl most likely at the age of five or six, is exploring her neighboorhood. ists just short stories about random topic, and it doesnt have a seriously problem. the book's purpose is to make the reader laugh, and all i can say is mission accomplished!
Yu Qian
Yotsuba is young sweet 5 to 6 years old. She is always curious and happy. There is always a smile on her face. Without her mom she never feel alone. Her dad is always there along with his friend...Jumbo. When Yotsuba moved to a new neighbor she made a lot of friend and they made Yotsuba's day fun everyday.
Yotsuba is drawing those day... even though she draws bad her friend was there to make her feel better. Even she don't draw well her friend tell a lie that she draw wonder...it's not her faul...more
Elaine Lin
Yotsuba is a very cute and adorable girl that still is learning many new things in the world. She finds many new things around her block and has fun with her neighbors and her dad. Although she is an orphan, she has a guardian that loves her and now he's her dad. This is my favorite series because she's so adorable. My favorite part of this book is when Yotsuba pretends to be an assassin and took her water gun and threatened people to shot them. But her neighbor took it from her and shot her bac...more
Shelli
While I don't enjoy these books nearly as much as my daughter, who CONTINUALLY quotes them and can't wait for the next one, I still really enjoy them. Yotsuba is a highly energetic child (or possibly alien??) that does or says what ever she feels like doing or saying at that moment. Her no filter way of life probably wouldn't seem as cute if she were my neighbor or child, but giggles always occur when reading about this rambunctious young girl.
Mazohyst
This series put a smile on my face. How could you NOT smile at Yotsuba's hilarious antics? Her everyday adventures are just a delight to read. This is one of the very few manga that I would recommend for all ages, and assuming that everyone has heart or enjoys clean good fun once in a while, this manga is appropriate for anyone.
Chivitouille
Éste manga es sumamente divertido y es muy genial.
Si, posiblemente a simple vista la trama resulte algo sencilla pero es ahí donde reside su mejor característica, historias sencillas, cotidianas pero muy divertidas.
El dibujo me encanta mucho, complementa de manera perfecta a la historia a mi parecer. No se necesitan dibujos con trazos complicados porque la historia no lo necesita, son dibujos limpios, sencillos, curiosos, bonitos, ideales para la historia.
Sin duda he pasado un momento divertido...more
Joan
Entertaining and amusing manga about a young girl and her exuberant life. The section where she acts like a gangster was funny.
MissAnnThrope
09 May 2013

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02 is another gut-busting installment to this ridiculously adorable series. I am head-over-heels for the sweet, rambunctious Yotsuba. So, so much in love with her that I am seriously considering getting myself inked with her funny face.
(view spoiler)...more
David Christian
Yotsuba is one of my favorite manga characters, and what’s not to love? The curiosity of a 5-year-old is contagious and Azuma gives readers a new lens to see life — ordinary things suddenly become awe-inspiring adventures.

Azuma is best known for his previous manga, Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1, and many of the characters in Yotsuba&! seem like crude copies of his previous work. But hey — if it’s not broken, then why fix it? Some new faces appear, such as Janbo, the 6 foot tall karate master florist...more
Wing Ho
This collection is even better than #1. Non Stop giggling! The art is amazing and descriptive and full of life, love it!

Highlights: Meeting Miura, Yotsuba & Revenge, Don Mai, Crow Balloon. HEHE!!!

The last chapter of this collection is also changes tone to talk about the more dramatic side of the series. It's a good little snippet that fleshes out the characters and makes them more relatable.

Onward to Collection 3!
Nada
This is that kind of manga that is quickly addicting! I mean, it's a story about a weird 5 years old girl who doesn't have a clue about anything in this world and it will take you in a journey in her own eyes .... in our eyes those little things are simple and probably don't matter to us but in that little girl's eyes everything matter and everything is big and interesting.... I absolutely into this because it opened my eyes to those little things.

Chapter 9 made me tear out of laughter. Hilariou...more
Sarah Sammis
Yotsuba&! Volume 2 is by Kiyohiko Azuma continues the episodic adventures of Yotsuba, her father and neighbors.

Yotsuba and her friends go to the lake to draw the wildlife. She has grand plans for drawing but she's little. So her drawing of a duck is pretty much a big scribble scrabble. She has to learn that art takes practice and her older friends are better artists than she is.

There's also a chapter called Revenge that spoofs the fear that violent TV makes children violent. Yotsuba instantl...more
Anna
Liked it little less than the 1st one, but still it's awesome. It lost it's hilarity in some parts, but the story and characters (and those facial expressions, man!) are still rock. Will continue for sure now.

P.S. Yotsuba makes my day with her straightforwardness...=)
Ashley
This is my favourite volume of Yotsuba&! I especially love the "No bother" chapter (in the Yen Press translations, it is changed to “no sweat”, which I think makes it lose some of its charm, so try the ADV Manga edition if you can find a copy). It's just heartwarmingly funny, and if that sounds too sappy for you you should probably get over it and give it a try anyway! This series was recommended to me by a 30-year-old straight white man, and I have yet to find a demographic that doesn't enj...more
Kathleen
Oh no! How could someone criticize Yotsuba's art? That's okay, she can't stay gloomy for long. Jumbo using her to scam dates is an unfortunate trope, but I love her Dad to pieces.
Reem
In this volume, Yotsuba is introduced to new things she had no clue about. It's pretty cute seeing her being fascinated by these small things in this big and great life.
This manga continues being simple and awesome as it started. Each chapter will definitely make you -if not laughing- at least smiling from the heart.
Harun Harahap
Ahahaha..makin lucu aja si Yotsuba. Paling suka cerita pas dia main pistol-pistolan. Jumbooooo...kamu manusia atau raksasa? Nyahahahahaha....
Swety Retna
Yotsuba!
Hal yang aku sukai dari komik ini adalah cara Jepang mengajari anak-anak mereka. Meskipun Jepang itu negara yang maju dalam teknologi, tapi mereka membiarkan anak-anak mereka bermain dengan permainan sederhana. Mereka tak mengenal gadget dari kanak-kanak. Mainan Yotsuba adalah balok-balok kayu, boneka, menonton CD hewan-hewan dan membaca buku ensiklopedi. Ada kalanya bermain badminton, dan kebanyakan mereka melakukan outing :) memancing, mengunjungi kebun binatang, mengunjungi peternakan...more
Amy Peavy
The cuteness continues. I cannot stop laughing. I hope more volumes come in at the library soon. I need to read more.
Sara
Another brilliant story of Yotsuba and her antics. These are really cute!
Natalie
Yotsuba is one of those characters that makes you laugh with pretty much every little thing she does. Whether it's her ideas or just what she does in general she's a loveable character. I loved this book so much it took me less then 2 hours to finish! It's something I couldn't put down, and kinda bummed when I finished it. I'm glad there's still a lot more books in the series! Definitely read this book if your just starting out on reading manga, or if you just need a light, fun read.
Signe
for some reason i only read this volume... that is in no way related to the fact that my friend brought this volume to school with her and i was bored in geometry and i was reading manga all period and the only other manga i could find was one piece which FYI: im not into gummy rubber monkey pirates. so yeah, sure, i read this book in math, the period i read all my manga... and i sincerely hope this hasn't done something bad to my CST scores...
Valentine
I imagine this would be a good read for anyone, it just wasn't entirely for me. :) or maybe I need to get used to just everyday life in a manga besides constant fighting xD
Rachel
Jun 22, 2009 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any female comic book lovers
Recommended to Rachel by: Abbey
I thought this book was really cute. It shows that little kid innosence that we all know and love. I loved how Yotsuba was so oblivious, care-free, and gulible. But this book wasn't all little kid mush. There were also real life struggles that were intertwined as well. I would really like to read the rest of the comic books in this series.
Mark Dewey
This one was great. The funniest parts probably weren't as climactic as I thought the cicada incident from volume 1 was, but I still enjoyed it quite well.

I like the cultural stuff about Okinawa (we get to know a little about how Japanese people not from there might feel about it in a casual vacation-style sense).

The frog part was cool.
Amy
Loved it! We learn a little more about Yotsuba in this volume...that she is from an island! I'm hoping that more details are revealed in the following volumes. It doesn't really matter, though - she's awesome no matter what kind of past she had. In this volume, my favorite little vignette was "Cake" - that one really spoke to me. :)
Stephen
Annoyance: abating.
Enjoyment: increasing.

The timing in these stories is great. The pauses, asides and sudden outbursts work really well.

I found Yotsuba's Dad and friend perving over the 16-year neighbour a little weird, but it wasn't so bad (and I don't know how old they're supposed to be yet).
Chantell  Petrell
Yotsuba&! has a really cute storyline, but no plot. At all. This bored me the entire time, and the only things that kept me reading were my obligation to finish everything i pick up, the artwork, and the innocence of it all. Don't get me wrong- it wasn't awful or anything, it just wasn't one of my favorites.
Sara
I laughed out loud so much reading this! My favorite chapter was one in which Yotsuba watches a rather age inappropriate gangster movie and then goes out to exact her revenge on everyone with a water gun while yelling things like "It's curtains for you!" Ah, so excited to read more in this series.
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 4
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 6 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #6)
  • A Bride's Story 04
  • Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2)
  • Mushishi, Volume 7
Kiyohiko Azuma (東清彦 or あずま きよひこ Azuma Kiyohiko) is a Japanese manga author and artist. His most well-known work is Azumanga Daioh. His current series is Yotsuba&!, which is serialized monthly in Dengeki Daioh magazine.
More about Kiyohiko Azuma...
Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 (Yotsuba&! #1) Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh, #1) Yotsuba&!, Vol. 03 (Yotsuba&! #3) Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04 (Yotsuba&! #4) Yotsuba&!, Vol. 05 (Yotsuba&! #5)