Start by marking “City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy, #1)

City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Kron Darkbow seeks vengeance, and he plans to have it no matter the costs. Returning to the city of his birth after 15 years, he hunts down the wizard responsible for the deaths of those he loved only to find out another was responsible for the murders. That other is Belgad the Liar, a former barbarian chieftain who is now boss of the city's underworld.

Published June 17th 2009 by L.M. Press

To ask other readers questions about City of Rogues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Rogues

Dark Passage by M.L. WoolleyWintertide by Michael J. SullivanTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoThe Emerald Storm by Michael J. SullivanNyphron Rising by Michael J. Sullivan
Kindleboards Authors
45th out of 138 books — 96 voters
The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffHouse of Blades by Will WightThe Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillipHere Lies Death by Harlan VaughnThe Scourge by Roberto Calas
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
403rd out of 1,200 books — 1,535 voters

More lists with this book...

Zackery Arbela
- A decent read that hits most of the expected marks -

amazon tends to abound with fantasy novels of various sub-genres prices between $2.99 to $0.00 nowadays. Many of them are crap, some of them are brilliant, while the rest fall where in the middle. City of Rogues is definitely amongst the third, though certainly towards the higher end.

The setting is a typical fantasy city, and like Conan and other sword and sorcery tales to which it is obviously inspired by, focuses mainly on the lower end
Dave
I bought my Kindle with the intent to buy and read low-priced novels from unknown and indie authors. So far, that experience has been pretty rewarding. City of Rogues made me pause, though. This novel has the foundation to be good book, but is lacking in important areas.

The best part of City of Rogues is the pace and action. There is constant action, and the plot moves forward at a good pace, certainly not too slow, but also not too fast. The plot helps the pacing, but is pretty straightforward.
Mark D
I'd want to give this 3.5 - but can't...so it gets the higher of the half only because there is a man who wears a black cloak like a lot of my favorite assassins.

Solid story, wasn't as dark as I expected, then again I wasn't really sure what to expect. Not a lot of character building, everyone is pretty much developed already - Kron especially...wish we had some books from his past as it sounds like it could make for a great coming of age book...But that doesn't take away from the plot and actio
Emma
Lauralynn Elliott
This isn't the kind of book I normally read, although I try not to limit myself to certain genres. Sometimes I find epic fantasies a little tedious. Not so with this one! There wasn't one paragraph in this story that didn't hold my interest. Ty Johnston has a wonderful way with words so that his scenes come alive for the reader. I'm definitely buying books two and three of this trilogy!
Bob White
Good book! Worth reading. Characters drew me in and there are some good surprises. Only complaint was that it wasn't quite deep enough for me. Looking forward to getting into #2, though!
W.H. Cann
An engaging story with a lot of potential for development. The characters were interesting and reasonably developed, although one or two that were obviously important to the unwinding of the story seemed to be lacking in depth and purpose. The writing was clear and easy to read, but another edit to add that extra polish would not go amiss.

I was a little disappointed with the ending, having expected much more due to the build up of the inevitable confrontation between Kron and Belgad. Even so, I
Hollie
I'm trying to remember where I heard this authors name, it seems like its cropped up multiple times in my searches for reading material as a recommendation. But I have to say, I'm disappointed. This book was ok, but I can't quite go so far as to say I liked it. A lot of people love his work, and as this is the only reference I have, I can't totally discount that. I also must say that I liked his writing. The actual use of prose was fluid and easy to read. Beyond that, though, I felt the characte ...more
Mallory Heart
Sep 16, 2012 Mallory Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Free Book Dude
Reviewing for FreeBookDude.com for Sept. 15 2012-

Review of City of Rogues
Book 1 of The Kobalos Trilogy
The Ursian Chronicles
5 Stars
First of all, I must highly recommend this book. The smooth writing, the catchy-although gory-opening, the intriguing characters, and the lovely interweaving of plot threads, are not to be missed. I’m so thankful this is a Trilogy-that means I have more to look forward to, although this first in the series is itself a re-reader. I must also emphasize that I am not in
Jeffrey
I get the feeling that this author has played a little too much "Final Fantasy".

That said, the book was great but mostly unoriginal. Sometimes, though, lack of innovation can result in a charming read, which is what this was. You get the standard wizards and warriors type of setting, with characters mostly what you'd expect. But to agree with another reviewer, those characters don't seem to fit into typical roles--and that makes the book all the more interesting. In fact you might go so far as
Kara Prem
I would have given this 5 stars but there is one character that I cannot stand, and I fear she'll be a big part of future books.

The main character isn't identified at first, not by his real name. A man calling himself Kron Darkbow arrives on the scene looking to avenge a murder from many years ago. He almost kills a wizard, then sets off to bring down the boss.

You meet a few characters who may be Kron, a former guardsman from the prison lands, a meek healer with a very powerful ring, etc.

I rea
Lyndon
Excellent high fantasy in the tradition of David Eddings - featuring magic, action adventure, and a fully developed setting with the requisite religious factions, dark lords, powerful wizards, and rogue heroes. But this is no knock-off quest novel. Johnston is strong storyteller and world builder who offers characters you can immediately picture and sympathize with. If you're a lover of epic fantasy, the you'll want to follow along with Kron Darkbrow as he takes on his most challenging opponent ...more
Scott
Ty Johnston has created a character in Kron Darkbow that reminds me a little bit of The Punisher. His family was killed and he is going to get revenge no matter what it takes. When he finds the wizard responsible for the actual killings he finds out that the order came from another. He switches his target immediately not caring that he is now taking on arguably the most powerful man in the city.

As other reviewers have stated this book really does not leave you guessing at what is going to happe
George
I enjoyed reading this book. I guess the writing style was more to my tastes than many of the books I have recently read.

The story about a Border Warden from the Prisonlands gone private was thoroughly enjoyable.

Someday I will be looking for other books by Ty Johnston.
Kevin
Didn't cost me any money(was free on Amazon) so suppose I can only complain about my time being wasted. This is one of the worst books I've ever read, if not the worst. Badly written, unimaginative, and dull. Just came across very amateurish to be absolutely honest.
G L Meisner
A good story. The pacing was well done and plot was great if a little predictable. I would have liked a couple of more twists.
Inanda
Kron you are going to get into big trouble!!
Tom Janssen
quick read, skipped some.
Madcrit
May 06, 2013 Madcrit rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want some light fantasy snack
City of Rogues has some narration problems and sometimes character motives and actions are not very clear. But after reading the first book I want to know more about their world and I am curious for the next book and that realy is all that matters.
Go read it if you want some fast paced fantasy story with not too much to think.
Bryan
Not a bad book. The characters were pretty easy to like. There was a lot of complexity to them... None were simply good or bad. The story flowed in a good manner. Short read. I'll probably pick up the other two and finish out the series at some point.
Geoff
Really great story with engaging inspiring characters. Told in a way which drew me into the story as if i was a silent character in the events instead of someone simply reading the book. Recommend for anyone who likes tales of magic and adventure
Hailey
The ending to this book was unexpected. The author leads the reader to belive one thing, but then suddenly flips it around. The beginning was a little hard to understand, but it is still very good.
John
Good feel and mood, but some seemingly illogical plot twists and difficult to believe and abrupt character changes. I'm hoping things will improve as the series continues.
Dhalia
Honestly, I couldn't finish the book, and I really wanted to. The story is great, and I was really invested. But the writing left much to be desired.
Holly Peacock
good book. could do with some revision, and the only female doesn't make a lot of sense even when you get her perspective. but overall I liked it.
Jestersinc
Some predictability, however a lot of mystery about the protagonist's past..
Matt Morrey
Felt pretty amateur to tell the truth... also.. no twists.. :( boo
Melissa
I would give it 3.5 stars.
Mathew Crist
Mathew Crist marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Magic of Windlier Woods
  • Wrath of the Royals (The Darkslayer, #1)
  • The Mark of a Druid
  • The Gateway (Harbinger of Doom, novella)
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
  • Horker's Law (The Six Books of Magic, #1)
  • Giants (Lost Civilization, #1)
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Night's Knights
  • Draugr (Northern Frights, #1)
  • Amber Magic (Haven, #1)
  • Lure of the Night (Vampire Winter Saga, #1)
  • Until Again: The prequel novella to Blue
  • Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
A former newspaper journalist, Ty Johnston was born and raised in central Kentucky. Now living in North Carolina and focused upon fiction writing, mainly fantasy, he spends his time writing, reading and walking his beagle Lily while recalling memories of his late wife.
More about Ty Johnston...

The Kobalos Trilogy (3 books)
  • Road to Wrath (The Kobalos Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark King of the North (The Kobalos Trilogy, #3)
Road to Wrath (The Kobalos Trilogy, #2) The Darkbow Collection - Six Epic Fantasy Novels (The Kobalos Trilogy, and The Horrors of Bond Trilogy) Dark King of the North (The Kobalos Trilogy, #3) Mage Hunter: Blooded Snow (The Ursian Chronicles) Blade and Flame (The Kobalos Trilogy, #0.5)