Start by marking “Suddenly” as Want to Read:
Suddenly

Suddenly

The long-awaited novel from the Giller Prizewinning, #1 bestselling author of A Good Housea novel with the power to change the way women, and men, understand one another.

A phone call in the night, an unexpected diagnosissuddenly, life can change forever. sandra, Colleen and Jude have been friends for nearly a lifetime. They share sexual secrets, decorating tips, counsel on
Published September 22nd 2009 by Phyllis Bruce Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly

Marie
May 06, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing
In Suddenly, three women, Sandra, Colleen and Jude, have been friends for a long time. Sandra and Colleen are sisters-in-law (Colleen married Sandra's brother, Richard), while Jude joined the twosome a bit later after a chance encounter. Now that Sandra's at the end of her life, the three of them, along with their husbands, examine their adult lives and come to terms with Sandra's illness.

I loved this book. I can see why Burnard is an award winning author. Her writing is superb. Because the boo
Ruth
Oct 12, 2016 Ruth rated it it was ok
Long and boring. I should probably be more sympathetic because it was a story about cancer, death family and friendship. However, was Burnard being paid by the word? This book could have been half its length and still been too long. Totally lost patience with it and skimmed the last 100 pages.
Pooker
Sep 13, 2011 Pooker rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Burnard's A Good House, personal friends
Recommended to Pooker by: Angie Abdou
Shelves: canada, fiction
I enjoyed this book, although enjoyed seems not the right word for a story built around a character's illness and inevitable death.

Sandra, Colleen and Jude have been friends for most of their adult lives. They have seen each other through joys and heartaches, marriages and betrayals. They've laughed and "snarled". Years ago Jude had cancer and survived. Sandra, at the opening of the book, has discovered a lump in her breast a "little black-hearted misery" as she puts it, the first of the "hard l
Shonna Froebel
Nov 21, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian
Sandra, Colleen, and Jude are women friends with a long history. Sandra and Colleen have been friends since Sandra's brother Richard began dating Colleen. Jude joined the group when Sandra's kids were young. Their partners Jack, Richard, and Gus also get along, and the couples have spent a lot of time together over the years. They've come through a lot of difficult times and helped each other through relationship woes and troubles with children and parents.
Now Sandra faces the ultimate crisis an
Sandra
Apr 01, 2013 Sandra added it
The story of a friendship and the death of one of the three friends: sandra, Colleen and Jude. Time frame covers 20000 to 2006. Geographical setting is London, Ontario: Oxford Book Store is mentioned. Title comes from concept that no one is ever ready for the death of a loved one. The characters of the women and their partners are well drawn within a traditional framework.Basically focussed on "how people cope with loss" and most specifically about friends coping with the loss of a friend and of ...more
Mary
May 22, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
An unexpected diagnosis starts a novel about death and life. The story draws its title from the obituary 'died suddenly' but she did not. Is this what we all have to look forward too? I was not the happiest endorser of this book when I finished it... sad. It was very well written so I chalk it up to my intolerance of sad literature. On the other hand, it's title has made me think "what does 'suddenly' really mean and are we prepared for death whether it happens suddenly or not?
Carole
Dec 17, 2009 Carole rated it liked it
This book has been a disappointment mainly because I expected so much from Bonnie Burnard, whose previous novel, A Good House, was a favorite book. The novel has an interesting story line about three friends who battle life's problems together. But the author writes from the present to the past without notice. There are numerous characters in the book and, quite often, it is difficult to discern which the author is speaking of. The confusion distracts from the story.
Kyla
Mar 27, 2010 Kyla rated it liked it
EAGERLY awaited this book, 10 years in the making, after her first and amazing book "A Good House" which I need to reread now. Expectations of the highest kind are often dashed, and this was no exception. The premise was a good one, examining long-time female friendship under troubled times, but I honestly couldn't keep the characters straight. And there were only 6 characters, really. And 300 pages. So that is not a success. So sad.
Shari
Jun 08, 2010 Shari rated it liked it
I can't say that I enjoyed this book about the final days of a 40/50 something woman who is dying of breast cancer. The story is really about her life and the impact she had on friends and family - and how she would like to be remembered - as told through the journals she kept and ultimatley shares. And while even though her illness must have lasted several years and progressed throught several stages - her death comes suddenly to those who loved her - and to the reader as well.
Julia
Dec 14, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
A moving story of 3 adult women who are have been best friends for many years. One of them gets breast cancer and they continue to support each other. The woman who is ill, reads back through her diaries that hold account of the many things they have experienced together. It is a good read, however, it is written in third person narrative and is difficult at times to know who is being talked about.
Colleen
Story of three women who have been friends for decades and now one of them is fighting for her life. Flashbacks between past and present. I almost stopped reading it... I think partly because the woman is dying of breast cancer and it was hitting too close to home for me, but partly I found the story rather disjointed. Disappointing, as I was looking forward to this book so much.
Vionna
Feb 28, 2010 Vionna rated it liked it
Sandra, Colleen and Jude, along with their husbands, have been friends for years and have formed very close bonds. Now Sandra is loosing her battle with cancer. The female characters are looking back on their intertwining lives and wondering how they will face the future without Sandra. Bonnie Barnard has written a very heartfelt book and I do like her style.
Ann Douglas
Nov 06, 2010 Ann Douglas rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Rona Maynard recommended some of this author's other books, so I was inspired to read this one.
Wendy
Apr 16, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I was in high school with Bonnie Burnard. I enjoyed her first novel and am looking forward to this one that was given to my for my birthday by my daughter.

Bonnie writes a good story. It was fun to read of places that I know in London, Ontario. Our English teacher, the late Mrs. Maclean, would be very proud of Bonnie.
Maureen
Apr 10, 2016 Maureen added it
Shelves: fiction, 2010, canada
A wife, mother, sister and friend dies from cancer. As she lies on her death bed, she remembers different times in her life she has spent with her husband and friends.

Although it is very well written, I have not rated this book as it is very depressing.
Lindasp
Nov 18, 2013 Lindasp rated it it was amazing
This is a sad/sweet/happy story of close friends supporting their friend through her bout with cancer. It was also interesting because it is set in London.
Carly Svamvour
Nov 09, 2009 Carly Svamvour marked it as to-read
Recommended to Carly by: Jana - Book Buzz
Recommended to me by JANNA at Book Buzz . . .

Tara
Dec 29, 2013 Tara rated it it was ok
I think this book hit too close to home, making it too hard of a topic to read. Timing is everything.
Rhea Tregebov
I tried reading this in the fall and had to put it down as the topic (cancer) is very difficult. But Burnard is such an exquisite writer that I'm completely caught up in it now.
Leslie
Jul 20, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
While not an easy read, the author has done an amazing job of pulling us into the friendship between three very different women as they move through life.
Maria Botica
Dec 06, 2011 Maria Botica rated it liked it
well written, life and death are messy and that is portrayed in an unmessy way, that's the best I can do to describe this book.
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2009
Denise Gianelli
Sep 04, 2014 Denise Gianelli rated it really liked it
Enjoy story.....Location...London Ontario .....
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Kate Weldon
Kate Weldon rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it did not like it
May 13, 2010
Helen
Helen rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2012
  • Ellen in Pieces
  • A Good Man
  • The O'Briens
  • Interference
Bonnie Burnard (born January 15, 1945, in Petrolia, Ontario) is a Canadian novelist.

She grew up in Forest, Ontario, lived much of her life in Saskatchewan, and now lives in London, Ontario.

In 1989 Women of Influence won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for a first novel. In 1995 she was awarded the Marian Engel Award, and in 1999, she won the Giller Prize for her novel, A Good House.

(from Wikipedia
More about Bonnie Burnard...