Start by marking “Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)” as Want to Read:
Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)

Lords and Ladies (Discworld #14)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  48,252 Ratings  ·  888 Reviews

Although they may feature witches and wizards, vampires and dwarves, along with the occasional odd human, Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld novels are grounded firmly in the modern world. Taking humorous aim at all our foibles, each novel reveals our true character and nature.

It's a dreamy midsummer's night in the Kingdom of Lancre. But music and romance aren't the o

Published October 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Lords and Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lords and Ladies

Nataliya
“Witches can generally come to terms with what actually is, instead of insisting on what ought to be.”
As anyone who knows me can attest to, I tend to gush over Pratchett's books, with all his wit and wisdom and the ability to create incredibly clever and very serious humor rooted in uncomfortably deep understanding of human mind.
“Personal’s not the same as important. People just think it is.”
Lords and Ladies of the Lancre Witches subcycle of the Discworld books was the first Pratchett Witch
Jono
Jul 30, 2007 Jono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, hilarious
i agree wholeheartedly, this is my FAVORITE of the Witch series. I love Granny v Lily in "Witches Abroad," but if you delighted in Mrs. Weasley gettin all Sigourney Weaver on Bellatrix L in the last Harry Potter, YOU'LL LOVE the whole last third of the book. i squirmed with glee as soon as Magrat put on that armor. the principle of a cat in a box being any of 3 various states till you open the box: alive, dead, bloody pissed off is all i know about physics, or need to know.
Chris
Nov 22, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, pratchett

Elves.

When you think of elves, what do you think of? The tall, fair-skinned beings of Tolkien's Middle Earth? The ebony warriors from Dungeons & Dragons? Delicious cookies?

Not on Discworld. On Discworld, the Elves are folk of legend, and dark legend at that. People there remember the elves, although not very well. They remember through old wives' tales, about leaving milk for the fairies and not going near the standing stones. Ask someone in the kingdom of Lancre, and they'll think of elves
Melki
The gals have been gone a while, and lots of things can happen in eight month's time.

Magrat is still planning to marry the new king (and former fool) of Lancre, and anyone who's everyone will be attending the Royal Wedding, including our favorite Librarian. (If only they can get him to put on some clothes...)

But wait...strange things are happening. (Well, stranger things than the strange things that normally happen in Discworld.)

Even the bees are worried.

Granny Weatherwax is reunited with an ol
Cabezabajo
Jan 01, 2016 Cabezabajo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
Definitivamente Pratchett se luce en la saga de las brujas, cada nueva historia es mejor que la anterior.

Los personajes principales crecen mucho en esta entrega. Conocemos mucho mejor a Magrat y a Yaya, y las conversaciones entre ésta y Tata son tronchantes. Introducir a los magos en el universo particular de Lancre es todo un acierto, pero para mi el gran punto fuerte es la teoría de los universos alternativos, muy bien llevada a lo largo de la novela.

Ha sido muy curioso conocer a los lores y l
Wiebke (1book1review)
Rereading this was a revelation of sorts. I had forgotten that this book was about elves and also how much I had learned from Granny Weatherwax in this novel.
Needless to say I enjoyed the read immensely and can't wait to continue traveling in Discworld.

Ана Хелс
Oct 17, 2015 Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
За четене на Пратчет моментът винаги трябва да е специален – я особено депресиращ рожден ден, я голяма до средна по мащаб семейна трагедия, или просто края на поредния проект, който си се надявал да е твоето голямо бъдеще. И тъй като повече чичо Тери го няма, пазя малките Пратчетски съкровища като колбички с живителен еликсир, които хем ще ме накарат да се кикотя особено неприлично на оживени обществени места, хем ще ме замислят за твърде много неща от живота, които някак съм подминавала с неясн ...more
YouKneeK
Lords and Ladies is the fourth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous two Witches books. I thought the humor, while present, wasn’t nearly as strong as it was in the last two.

I think the humor seemed weaker because our main characters (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, of course!) were often off doing separate things, and a big part of what makes me laugh in these books comes from dialogue between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. On the
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
It started slow and I was beginning to wonder how is it possible that a story with Granny Weatherwax could be like this. Then it picked up a bit and almost until one heart-stopping moment near the end it was just an ok story with occasional brilliant flashes that I have come to expect from a Discworld book.
As usual, Nanny Ogg was hilarious. Granny's out of the character behaviour got a satisfactory explanation.

The lords and ladies are elves and they want to come back. Since they are murdering m
Chris
Oct 15, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld-novels
I love Pratchett's spin on fantasy. He takes a well-known faerie tale (elves) and shines a totally different light on them:
"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind
Gavin
Feb 07, 2012 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In my last review I admitted that I was a big fan of re-contextualised mythology, and I think anyone who has any interest in fantasy will find that they are too.

In Lords and Ladies, Pratchett re-draws the boundaries where elves are concerned. Trying to push the fae folk back from Tolkien's ("pretty = lovely") vision towards their German/Scandinavian folkloric roots ("pretty = dangerous") is -to this day- an almost entirely unique direction to head in, and an interesting one. After all, people ar
Tfitoby
Nov 04, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
The witches are returning to Lancre after the events of Witches Abroad to find that nothing much has changed in their absence, except that some young girls have been meddling with witchcraft and allowed the elves to cross from their dimension in to the Lancre hills and are once more attempting to enslave the Disc. Granny is getting forgetful, Nanny is getting amorous and Magrat is going to be Queen on Midsummer's Night. What chance does the Disc have when it's in the hands of comic artisans, bum ...more
Holly
Jan 07, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this one: about how folklore isn't as benign as we often believe, about all the different lives we might have led...and about how, especially on your wedding day, "it's not about what you've got but how you got it." I'd have preferred mud-encrusted chain mail and scraps of silk to the dress I had, but the truth of this still applies to me as much.
Thiago d'Evecque
"Eu não sou contra deuses e deusas, em seus devidos lugares. Mas eles devem ser aqueles que nós mesmos criamos. Então podemos fazê-los em pedaços quando não precisarmos mais deles, entende?"

Discworld fica melhor a cada releitura. Percebemos os detalhes da narrativa, os foreshadows que se cumprem lá no fim, os temas, as mensagens profundas disfarçadas de piadas e sátiras com várias convenções da fantasia (e da ficção).

Lordes e damas se passa no arco das bruxas, e é preciso ter lido os anteriores
Jane Jago
Sep 23, 2016 Jane Jago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was there ever any question. I am a huge fan girl when it comes to the great Terry, but the witches are my absolute favourites.

Nanny Ogg is my hero.

And I love the sly references throughout.
Jo Woolfardis | Infinite Variety Books
[First read: 19th August, 2011: 5 stars.
Second read: 25th July, 2013: 5 stars.]

Pratchett has an unbelievable knack for taking an idea that has been around for centuries, stretching it out with a rolling-pin and kneading it into something majestic and full of such originality you wonder how any could have missed it beforehand.

Those Witches are at it again. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are back from travels to fight against the Lords and Ladies--Elegant folk, fair, beautiful... glamourous.
In te
Nicole
Sep 22, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: julia Andersen
A fun twist on the basic ideas found in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Granny Weatherwax was especially awesome in this one; she is such a wonderful character. Magrat did some surprising things, too.
I just have a little quibble about Pratchett's writing style--at times it can be like reading a play without enough attributions, the way he will set dialogue aside instead of attaching the action that goes with it. But his humour and other cleverness overcome that little distraction.
David Sarkies
Jun 26, 2016 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Beauty is deceptive on the outside
19 December 2013

This book is very, very loosely based upon Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night Dream, and to be honest with you if he had not told me at the beginning of the book and at the end of the book I probably would not have realised it. The reason that I say that is because when I say loosely I mean really loosely. In fact the only thing about the book that seems to be connected to the play is that a group of working class people go a rehearse a play in the
Claudiu
Jun 26, 2010 Claudiu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books like 'Lords and ladies' are the reason why I seem to return to Pratchett's universe time and time again. You can always count on this author to produce something new with his already established character sets and settings...and that's a fantastic draw.

I won't go into summary for the plot or story. There are tens of reviews written already that have that covered...so I'll just justify those 5 marks up there. And since I feel I'll be adding this to any review I write, the stars do not repr
Matt
Apr 12, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2015-reads
The Lancre coven return home in time for Magrat Garlick's wedding, which is a surprise to her, and to find certain "Lords and Ladies" wanting to crash the event. Terry Pratchett returns to Discworld as the witches face off with faeries trying to make their way back into reality as Magrat tries to figure out how to be a Queen after finding her career as witch not going well while Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg just continue on with their witchy ways.

Having found the previous two witches books (W
David
Sep 03, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lords and Ladies is one of my favorite Discworld novels. Although it's full of top-flight Pratchett punnery and humor, it is also a brilliant dark fantasy that turns genre conventions upside down while mocking and paying homage to Shakespeare. Rather like Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Pratchett turns to earlier traditions of elves and fairies instead of Tolkienian or pulp-fantasy tropes. There are numerous references to the very dark elven ballads of Tam Lin, Thomas the Rhyme ...more
Steven Harbin
Feb 12, 2010 Steven Harbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, people who like humorous fantasy, satire
It seems like I enjoy each book that I read of Terry Pratchett's a little more than the previous one. While Witches Abroad still ranks as my favorite so far, I thought this follow up book in the Discworld Witches subgenre was just as good. Pratchett creates strong female characters and his everyday run of the mill people characters who rise to heroic hights when necessary are very believable. Of course not all his characters are heroic, the cowardly magician Rincewind being the notable exception ...more
Jen Williams
Dec 20, 2011 Jen Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was always one of my favourite Pratchett books; indeed, I read it over and over again as a kid. Reading it again now is a glorious pleasure.

It includes all my favourite aspects of the Discworld - the Witches, folklore, Ridcully, the people of Lancre... and Elves. When I first read Lords and Ladies I was also obsessed with another book about the Fair Folk - Faeries by Brian Froud and Alan Lee. The two books combined introduced me to the idea of elves being sinister, alien creatures, and I a
Lee Broderick
Terry Pratchett obviously had a lot of fun riffing off of Shakespeare in Wyrd Sisters , a book which I enjoyed immensely. It's probably no surprise then that he should choose to revisit that idea. Here, it's the witches who are the star of the show again but spoofing Tragedies is out of the window as, instead, the author lovingly (if not faithfully) rewrites A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Pratchett embellishes The Fairy Story with Northern European folk beliefs and his own trademark humour which, wh
Rebecca Huston
Jul 19, 2012 Rebecca Huston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, discworld
I had a grand time with this one, filled as it is with all sorts of doings of Witches, Royalty, Morris dancing and the like. Most of all, Mr. Pratchett remembers that along with all of the glamour about Faerie, there are some real dangers, all of which are used to great effect. Depending on how much you know about the Childe ballads -- two of them feature prominently in this one. Then there's the romance of King Verence and Magrat, with a wedding planned for of all days, Midsummer Night. Guess w ...more
Jason
Jun 08, 2010 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2010
Discworld #14 is the third book that centers around Granny Weatherwax and the witches. I enjoy these characters but not as much as I do Death and Rincewind. This is a funny story about the returning of The Lords and Ladies (Elves). I always enjoy Pratchett's fast paced, funny, and pleasant getaways. This is a must read in the Discworld series but the other books centered on the witches should be read first.
Cynthia Egbert
Jul 25, 2016 Cynthia Egbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read
I have told some of you that you need not read the DiscWorld books in order, but there is a slight addendum to that...the witches books should be read as a trilogy. 1) Wyrd Sisters 2) Witches Abroad and 3) Lords and Ladies. I love these books...and not only because they lean so heavily on Shakespeare...I adore Granny Weatherwax and hope to be like her someday...well maybe not quite so cranky, although my children would tell you that I am well on my way. If you enjoy a MidSummer Night's Dream, yo ...more
Miriam Joy
May 26, 2016 Miriam Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure it's really possible to have a favourite Discworld book. I mean, they're a genre in their own right, full of subseries from the high fantasy to the alternate history, and as such there are some which barely resemble each other and it's hard to say which one is really the best, you know? But this is pretty high up the shortlist, and it just shot higher following a much overdue reread.

It's partly that it draws on things I adore: folklore/music/dancing, and how tradition and belief ech
Петър Стойков
Отново се пренасяме в Ланкър, който, бидейки едно съвсем малко кралство, е идеален за демонстрация на принципите на държавността в умален, разбираем и несъмнено забавен мащаб.

Основната тема в книгата е обаянието и разминаването му с реалността. Ако мога да бъда извънредно политичен и да доведа метафората на Пратчет до абсурд, който той със сигурност не е мислил, докато е писал книгата (какво е искал да каже авторът? мразехте ли го тоя въпрос в училище...) бих стигнал до там да направя пряк парал
Marina
Jan 20, 2014 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a blast reading this. I give it 4.5 stars. Love the quick wit of the author. Love the witches!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: Lancre
Magrat Garlick(witch,new Queen,pal)+King Verence II(of Lancre,ex-Fool),Granny Esmerelda Weatherwax (Esme,witch,head of coven,ex,pal),Nanny Cytha Ogg(witch,pal,mom0)& Greebo(her cat)+Giamo Casanunda (dwarf),Jason Ogg(master blacksmith & farrier,son0,dad1,pal1),Sha
Goodreads Librari...: Edition trouble 14 44 Nov 29, 2011 05:36PM
  • East of Ealing
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Valhalla
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” 4309 likes
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.” 2743 likes