Start by marking “Eric (Discworld, #9)” as Want to Read:
Eric (Discworld, #9)

Eric (Discworld #9)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  39,861 Ratings  ·  1,005 Reviews

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad...at his work, that is. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes:to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe.

But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful dem

Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Eric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eric

Patrick
Nov 22, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt surprisingly lukewarm about this book, given that it's written by one of my favorite authors of all time.

Part of this was the fact that it's some of his earlier work. (It's odd to think of an author's 9th book in a series as "early" work) In my opinion his later stuff was much, much stronger.

Also, I feel I should mention here that this isn't my first time reading Eric. Not my second time, either. It was, however, my first time reading this particular version, the illustrated version.

And
Phrynne
Apr 15, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, this one included even though it is quite short and at times reads a little like a YA book. Rincewind and The Luggage are two of my favourite characters and Death makes an appearance too! He is just brilliant, one of Pratchett's many masterpieces of imagination. The book is laugh aloud funny as all his books are. I really enjoyed this little reread and intend to keep dipping into his collection whenever I need a smile.
Tfitoby
May 12, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
Technically I've read Eric out of sequence, but as anyone who has been following my reread of the greatest sequence of fantasy novels ever written will know, I've been "reading" the audiobooks whilst "running" around in circles and at 126 pages Eric is certainly not suited to such a thing. Especially when I am lucky enough to have a first edition paperback complete with beautiful Josh Kirby full colour illustrations. My rating will certainly reflect an extra star for being able to enjoy such lov ...more
Siria
Eric is an oddity. Although it's the ninth Discworld novel to be published, it feels curiously scrappy and unfinished, like a fragment of juvenilia. It's set up as a parody of Faust; it feels like there's a lot more that could have been done with the novel based on this premise. In fact, it feels like there is a lot more set up to happen from this premise, but it never comes about. Eric is one of the most barely sketched in of all of the Discworld characters, for all that he is the person whose ...more
Antonio
3.5

A diferencia de otros libros de la saga esta es una historia lineal y completa con su inicio, desarrollo y cierre. Tenemos el esperado regreso de Rincewind que esta vez acompañara a Eric un demonologo adolescente que tiene tres deseos, los deseos que todo hombre, ejem, ejem, todo adolescente varón quiere, iremos viendo como el obtendrá sus deseos pero nada de lo que quería.

No le doy mas estrellas porque es muy corto y no tan gracioso. Creo que lo que me hace continuar la saga es el personaj
Melki
Be careful what you wish for...

or you may find yourself tripping through time with an incompetent wizard and a ferocious suitcase.

You might even wind up in Haitch-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks - the one only Pratchett could invent.

Good fun, but not up to the usual Discworld standards.
Rob
Executive Summary: This was a quick read, even for a Discworld book, but not one of my favorites, especially following the excellent Guards! Guards!.

Full Review
It seems apparent that the Rincewind books are my least favorite sub-series of Discworld. So far I've only really enjoyed The Light Fantastic. It's not that they are bad exactly, they just aren't nearly as good as the City Watch, Death or Witches books have been so far.

I'm not particularly fond of Rincewind either. The best part of his
Molly Billygoat
Feb 07, 2016 Molly Billygoat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What a nice man,” said Eric after awhile. “Um… What are quantum mechanics?”
“I dunno. People who repair quantums I suppose.”

Eric, book nine in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, is a riot. It stars a pimply, highly intelligent and pompous teenager who is determined to summon a demon so that he might demand riches, glory, and the most beautiful woman alive. What he manages to summon instead is the lovable but luckless Rincewind, well-known by all Pratchett enthusiasts. Eric refuses to accept tha
David Sarkies
Mar 14, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Pratchett
Recommended to David by: I had read the other ones
Shelves: comedy
Rincewind goes to Hell
9 February 2013

Eric seems to be that Discworld book that was written after Guards Guards and before Moving Pictures that nobody ever mentions. In fact having a glance over the comments on Goodreads it seems that it is not all that liked, and when I asked my friend who loves anything that Terry Pratchett writes, he simply said that it was okay, it has its moments, but not one of his best. Mind you we both agreed that the part where they travel to Discworld's version of the
Jason
May 17, 2009 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If "Eric" were a food, it'd be a hot dog. It feels like Pratchett took random bits of humor that weren't good enough to make it in other books, and mushed them all together. Eric is the lips and assholes of Pratchett's storytelling.

Eric seems to exist soley to resolve the cliffhanger ending of Sourcery, and it does so with a moderately amusing Deus Ex Machina. The rest of the book is more like a Family Guy episode than a coherent novel.
Eric
Mar 21, 2016 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Terry Pratchett
Shelves: fantasy, humor
I picked this up at a used bookstore on Bainbridge Island while on vacation for two reasons -- I really like Sir Terry Pratchett, and this particular novel shares my name. So it seemed like fate I should pick it up. It was so short that I read it mostly in one sitting while still on vacation.

Being the ninth Discworld book, this may sound odd, but you can still tell this is early Pratchett, when he was still feeling out the world and the characters. It's still good, solid work, and it has some gr
Celise
“There's a door."
"Where does it go?"
"It stays where it is, I think.”

Not nearly as funny or eventful following Guards! Guards!, but short and thoroughly entertaining. Rincewind may not be everyone's favourite character, but I like the shenanigans he gets involved with.

This is only my ninth Terry Pratchett book and I already feel like this is one of the most important series in my life. You know when you look back on a series wishing you could read it all over again for the first time? I feel o
Noa Velasco
Leerlo en inglés fue una mala idea. No puedo hacer una valoración a fondo porque, no nos vamos a engañar, a veces me perdía.
Sin duda es un título Pratchett 100%, hilarante, preciso, mordaz y con alusiones constantes a cultura clásica y popular: Fausto, La Divina Comedia, La Odisea, religiones precolombinas... y burocracia contemporánea, entre otras.

Adjunto unas citas:

«Then there was silence, the special kind that you get after a really unpleasant noise».

«Even wizards thought demonologists were o
Tana
Dec 13, 2010 Tana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-and-satire
Oh, Eric. Where do I even begin?

Even though it’s probably the shortest Discworld novel (197 pages in large font), it took me weeks to read. This might have had something to do with the obscene amount of schoolwork my teachers decided to heap on me at the time, but usually I will willingly give up homework, television and social life for a new Pratchett book, and I will do it with a grateful and reverent smile on my face.

This one, however . . . not so much.

For one thing I think I may be the only
YouKneeK
This was a very short book (Novella? Bookella?) in the Discworld universe, featuring Rincewind. My Kindle edition said it was 149 pages, and it felt even shorter. Apparently it was originally published with illustrations, but I read a non-illustrated version. People had told me the illustrations weren’t necessary to the story, and I agree with them. It was perfectly coherent on its own. Well, as coherent as the Discworld ever is, I guess. :)

The basic story is that Rincewind, for reasons not wort
Sam Quixote
Mar 23, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“‘Multiple exclamation marks,’ he went on, shaking his head ‘are a sure sign of a diseased mind.’”

I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT/DISCWORLD/RINCEWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. I aten’t crazy.

Like a lot of people I first read Pratchett when I was a teenager and have stuck with him well into adulthood. So, going through a dry spell in reading where everything I picked up seemed to, well, suck, I was immediately drawn to a small paperback that’d fallen off my shelf - “Eric”, a book I haven’t read
Cristina Boncea
Terry trebuie să fie la fel de magic ca vrăjitorii din cărțile lui. Finalul aproape că a salvat cartea care nu mi-a plăcut (nota ar fi 2,4999999999999999(9).
Cred că ar fi trebuit să citesc Faust înainte dar știu în mare despre ce era vorba.

Eric e un puști de 13 ani care îl invocă pe Vânturache, un fost vrăjitor acum fantomă sau chiar demon. Vânturache pocnește din degete și cei doi sunt transportați în diferite perioade de timp (Eric își pusese 3 dorințe: să conducă lumea, să trăiască veșnic și
Nathan
Complete Discworld Reread

Pay attention, there is a lot going on and less than two hundred pages of large type to get it all in. Rincewind needs out of the Dungeon Dimensions, a young demonologist wants some wishes granted (and needs a cold shower), and several different demons have their own ideas of what should be done. So watch closely, and you will see how the trick is set. Young Eric calls on a demon, Rincewind slips through into the occult circle, and something unknown makes sure Eric gets
Chronographia
Jun 20, 2011 Chronographia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are running out of Terry Pratchet books to read
A lot of people want to compare this book to the entire series of Discworld books, which is a natural sort of thing to do since Pratchett's popularity is overwhelming these days and he's got a long back catalog to go through for newcomers.

So. This was written at a time when he was on fairly good grips with parody, but not yet satire. When a series of small adventures were easier to string together than, say, an engrossing novel-length plot. Rincewind and his Luggage are stock characters, and thu
Jamie
Apr 24, 2009 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all Terry Pratchett's other Diskworld books, Eric is a lampoon of the fantasy genre, full of parodies, ironic juxtapositions, puns, and good old fashioned jokes. Only this time Pratchett sets his sights at slightly more lofty literary targets, as Eric is largely a parody of Faust, Dante's The Inferno, and Homer's The Iliad. But don't worry, there's plenty of dumb fun, too.

The dumb fun in question starts when the perpetually ineffective wizard Rincewind is accidentally summoned from the neth
Knigoqdec
Mar 19, 2016 Knigoqdec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Чудесна свежа разходка из целия свят и в неговото минало, и в неговото отвъд, и в неговото начало, и в неговото бъдеще... абе, изобщо навсякъде.
Мислите, че Ринсуинд не може да изпълнява желания? Ха-ха! Помислете си пак!
Е, не е тооочно каквото искаш, обаче вината си е в теб. Следващия път на Ерик поне ще му се наложи да дава по-точни "нареждания"...
Чалъмът е накрая повечето от замесените да бъдат щастливи.
Ivana
Jun 06, 2016 Ivana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Moja uplne prva Zemeplocha, ktoru som si na naliehanie manzela (vtedy uplne cerstveho! :-)) precitala. Ked chudak zistil, ktoru Zemeplochu som si vybrala, veru mu zatrnulo a opatrne ma upozornoval, ze ak sa mi Erik nebude pacit, tak to nic neznamena, ze ine su lepsie. Ale zbytocne sa bal (a ako sa neskor ukazalo, mame kazdy inu "naj" seriu) a ja som velmi rada, ze som sa vtedy nechala ukecat.
Takze bez ohladu na to, co si o Erikovi myslia ostatni, ja som mu vdacna :-) objavila som s nim novy uzas
Roviragrao
May 30, 2015 Roviragrao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(Relectura Mundodisco #9)

Vuelve Rincewind y con él la diversión disparatada, en esta ocasión parodiando obras clásicas como Fausto o La divina comedia. Es una gozada ver la cultura azteca o la guerra de Troya bajo el prisma de Pratchett, por no hablar de su particular idea del infierno. El tono es más ligero y no invita tanto a la reflexión como otras de sus obras, pero se sigue mejor que las primeras novelas de Rincewind.
Patrice
I read this book as part of my "A Lifetime of Books Challenge". It is part of the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett.I should also mention that I have not read any of the other books in this series, so the books can be read as "stand-alone" stories as well. I must say that I love his writing style. This was such a fun story to read even though the subject matter is nothing to laugh about. This story deals with young Eric, a demononlogist of his own making. See, Eric wants to summon a demon so t ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
There are really only two things I can say about this novel, both of which count in its favour:

1. It's conveniently short and a quick read
2. It's very, very funny
Andree
Apr 28, 2016 Andree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Did not work for me. It's Rincewind, so not ideal. The luggage and his one joke didn't add much. Eric, adolescent demon-summoner was mostly annoying. It's not terrible, but I just thought it was boring. (view spoiler).

I think it's also maybe supposed to be more YA/MG, which didn't quite work. Though
Ree
I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fan, almost to the point where I'm convinced he can do no wrong. So I was freaking out when by page thirty I still wasn't really feeling the story. It's not unusual for me needing some time to adjust to a narrative style and getting into a book, but considering that this is Pratchett and the book only got 125 more pages, a teeny-tiny panic attack emerging: could this be the first Discworld novel I wouldn't like?

description

Fortunately, this existential crisis was then quickly co
Tinka
“Hell needed horribly bright, self-centered people like Eric. They were much better at being nasty than demons could ever manage”

I really love the Discworld in general. Terry Pratchett created a unique world, full of quirks and the absolute unexpected.

So, this semester I took a class on Goethe’s Faust at university. It was an intensify reading class and it was fun to get deeper into the material and look at one of the ultimate German classics in a different way. The semester is almost over now a
Carol
May 04, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha, ha, ha, so funny! I love Rincewinds cowardice! It's just a shame this is so short. Oh well!

Rincewind is dragged back from the dimension he found himself in at the end of Sourcery by the young demonoligist Eric. Eric has a very specific set of wishes and looks like Rincewind has picked up a few new tricks.
High jinks ensue, cultures are changes, beauties rescued and creation created!
Classic Pratchett, tongue in check all the way!
Carol
Oct 05, 2015 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2015
What can I say? Every new Pratchett book I read makes me love him even more. Granted this is definitely not a new book, but I just can't keep up with the guy.
I absolutely loved Discworld demons, they're so much fun, and reminded me a bit of some characters in Tom Holt books, so I guess he knew Pratchett well. I doubt it was the other way around.
Rincewind is amazing, always getting into all sorts of trouble, and the Luggage, I forgot that such an amazing character existed.
Great book, just as fu
Terry Pratchett Fans: Group Read: Eric 5 23 Jul 04, 2016 01:21PM
  • The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • L'ombre maléfique (Le trône de fer, #4)
  • Grantchester Grind (Porterhouse Blue, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” 1168 likes
“There's a door."
"Where does it go?"
"It stays where it is, I think.”
410 likes