Start by marking “Clicker Training for Cats” as Want to Read:
Clicker Training for Cats

Clicker Training for Cats

Train a cat? Yes, you can! Clicker training, the new way of communicating with animals,is quick and easy for you - and it's fun for your cat. Clicker training can improve your cat's health, activity and attitude toward life. It can make your cat happier and more affectionate.

In the easy-to-read beginner's guide, Karen Pryor, the world's leading clicker training expert, te

Published July 1st 2003 by Sunshine Books (MA) (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Clicker Training for Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clicker Training for Cats

Kevin
Dec 16, 2009 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diy-and-hobbies
Now my cat obeys my every demand.

Ok, most of my demands.

Sometimes.

If she feels like it.

But still...
Ryan
Mar 29, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
I picked up this book after reading Pryor's book, "Don't Shoot the Dog", which was also really great. I haven't really had the time to invest going all out with clicker training our cats, but the little I've done has worked beautifully. It really teaches how important associations and habit are in determining behavior for both animals and humans. The best part about clicker training pets is how mentally stimulating it is for them (and for you because you have to be so creative in your methods ...more
S
Apr 08, 2014 S rated it it was amazing
Excellent ideas. Just waiting for the clicker I ordered to come in the mail and then Sprout and I are ready to have some training fun! Really, Karen Pryor really seems to know what she's talking about. She started as a dolphin trainer and has trained dolphins, dogs, cats, horses and more with the clicker training method. All positive reinforcement. No punishment. Just ignore behaviors you don't want and reward those you do want.
Lynn
Jun 25, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
After reading Clicker Training for Dogs and seeing that there was a version for cats, my interest was piqued. Seriously? Training cats to do things? On command? Well, I'm planning to give it a shot. Basil already knows that if she's on our bed making noise at night, *psst, psst* means "lay down and get settled," and she does it pretty reliably. If I can get her to shut up between my walking through the door after work and my feeding her dinner, I might have to up this to 5 stars...
Hilary
Nov 07, 2013 Hilary rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lots of good information, though also lots of grammatical errors or typos. I got some great ideas for things to work on with my cat, but I was hoping for more. Definitely a great read for someone that is unfamiliar with clicker training and has a desire to train their cat not just party tricks, but ways to make living together easier. It left me feeling motivated and looking for Phillip so I could teach him a new trick.
Mick
Oct 07, 2015 Mick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-stuffs
I've read Pryor's book on clicker training and the history of it, which was fascinating, but this is my first hands-on book of hers. It was quick, with her signature easy-going, conversational style, and the tips are really useful. I had my first clicker session with my 11-year-old cat yesterday, and she picked up targeting in 1 click. Cats are really super smart; I don't know why more people don't train them! This book is a great place to get started and really useful for any cat owner.
Robin
Aug 26, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After taking classes on Behavior Modification & Clicker Training at the Cornell Shelter Medicine Conference, I picked up this book and a few others on clicker training for cats.
This book offers a direct, practical approach to training, and I found it very informative.
Now I just need to make the time to put what I learned into practice. :)
Moorhead Public Library
Sep 15, 2015 Moorhead Public Library rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Yes, cats can be trained. I taught my cat to wave using methods I learned in this book. Cats are naughty when they get bored and training gives them the mental stimulus they need (not to mention a bunch of treats!)

Reviewed by: Meg
Jela Clarke
Feb 15, 2015 Jela Clarke rated it liked it
It does give you some basic ideas of how to start clicker training. However, I wish it also went into explaining how to do tricks such as sit, paw, or sit with the cat.
Boris
Jun 30, 2013 Boris rated it it was ok
Some fair ideas, but the general idea here is more about shaping from spontaneity rather than shaping. I like the other clicker book's approach better.
Serena Reagan
Serena Reagan rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Alexis Helmrath
Alexis Helmrath rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2011
Ayoka
Ayoka rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Philipp
Philipp rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Stacy Jones
Stacy Jones rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Birgit Hartoft
Birgit Hartoft rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Wallkrawler
Wallkrawler rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Nettie
Nettie rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Jg
Jg rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Stephanie Hebelka
Stephanie Hebelka rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
L-Squared
L-Squared rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Justine
Justine rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2016
Janet Metz
Janet Metz rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Starting from Scratch: How to Correct Behavior Problems in Your Adult Cat
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now
  • The Dog Who Couldn't Stop Loving: How Dogs Have Captured Our Hearts for Thousands of Years
  • The Culture Clash
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • The Gift of the Blessing
  • How to Think Like a Behavior Analyst: Understanding the Science That Can Change Your Life
  • How Dogs Learn
  • Galileo's Commandment: 2,500 Years of Great Science Writing
  • Gardening All-In-One for Dummies
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
  • I Second That Emotion: Untangling Our Zany Feelings (Women of Faith (Thomas Nelson))
  • Perl in a Nutshell
  • The Science of Consequences: How They Affect Genes, Change the Brain, and Impact Our World
  • Applied Behavior Analysis for Teachers
Karen Pryor is the CEO of Karen Pryor Clicker Training and Karen Pryor Academy.

Karen is an active, leading spokesperson and teacher for effective force-free training across the globe. Her work with dolphins in the 1960s revolutionized animal training by pioneering and popularizing force-free training methods based on operant conditioning and the conditioned reinforcer.

Karen’s 40-year career workin
More about Karen Pryor...