Start by marking “Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)

Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)

The return of Matt Richter. Private Eye. Zombie.

MATT RICHTER'S GOING TO PIECES - LITERALLY.

You've got to keep your head to survive in the teeming undead city known as Nekropolis. It's a pity crazed genius Victor Baron couldn't manage that. Now everyone wants a piece of him.

Zombie detective Matt Richter and his glamorous she-vampire companion Devona are back on the case, wi
Published March 4th 2011 by Angry Robot (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Streets

Jason
Sep 12, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
3.5 Stars

Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2) by Tim Waggoner is the sequel to Nekropolis and the continuation of a cool series. What could be better than a mystery series led by a detective named Matt Ritcher? How about a story that also includes pretty much every urban fantasy supernatural creature imagined? Hey, why not have the protagonist be an undead...zombie? Make it all fit together by taking place in a world adjacent to our own... This is the making of fun stuff.

This really is a dream series
David
Apr 18, 2014 David rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Two great things happen in this installment.

First, it doesn't fall victim to the sequel effect, that horrible filler novel that is just there to help juxtapose the beginning and end volumes of a trilogy.

Second, it expands upon outstanding world building and great characterization that was introduced in the first novel.

This book shows an awesome world that has a different take on the various aspects always thrown around in fantasy novels. From vampires, to lycanthropes, technology and mag
Nikki
Jul 13, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
This book didn't start out so well, what with the repetition of descriptions almost verbatim from the first book and the short stories, but it's still pretty more-ish, like the first book. I read reviews of this when I was part-way through, for some reason, and had to laugh when someone said they wished Devona wasn't a character so it could get back to being a book like the rest of the "dick genre". Pretty apt way to put it, considering most private detectives have and are dicks, and even the on ...more
Aaron
Mar 01, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
This is the second book in Tim Waggoner’s Nekropolis series. The story’s protagonist is Matt Richter, a private investigator living in the dark city of Nekropolis, a netherworldly metropolis that the majority of the world’s supernatural denizens immigrated to once it became clear that Humanity was overpowering them by sheer numbers. Richter would probably have a hard time fitting in, living day to day and keeping gainful employment if he wasn’t a zombie. You love detective stories? You love zomb ...more
Jessica
Aug 19, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
I love this series (though I prefer the spelling Necropolis that the original novella used). The stories are entertaining and the world is very unique and interesting. The easter eggs were a pleasant surprise. I'm not often a fan of books that repeat basic information given about the characters in previous books so frequently, but I tend to look the other way for this series because I enjoy it so much. It's something fairly unique in a world saturated with vampires, werewolves, zombies, and othe ...more
Lisa
Jan 27, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
While I normally am quite picky about my reading, Tim Waggoner has spread a series here that rivals the Dresden Files for my love. Matthew is a complex character, dead or alive, and one that I have grown very fond of in a very short time. His observations are, while not always correct, helpful in figuring it out yourself, and while there are always twists and turns, the book was thoroughly enjoyable, and immense fun. His character makes him realistic, and his past make him three-dimensional.
I pl
Thorn
Nov 20, 2012 Thorn rated it it was amazing
This is a second book in a series about a zombie detective living in a fair facsimile of Halloweentown. The horror, while horrific in places, is too everyday to haunt your dreams. The noir mystery is mysterious, and its resolution is logical. Matt Richter snarks and deadpans both through the danger to his life (undeath?) and his relationship with his half-vampire girlfriend. The other denizens of Nekropolis are as weird and wonderful as ever.

In short, if you like your mysteries zany and tongue-i
Suge
Jul 01, 2012 Suge rated it it was amazing
I liked this one more than I liked the first book in this series. There were some parts that kind of lagged and made the story drag on but those parts quickly resolved and the story picked up. I especially like the end, where it seems that our zombie detective begins to understand his place in Lord Edrigu's kingdom. I can't wait to read the third installment of this story.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Solid sequel to the original, and the heaps of pop-culture references are very entertaining. I never would've expected to see shoutouts to H.P. Lovecraft, Young Frankenstein, Rocky Horror, and Dr. Goldfoot (!) in the same book, let alone on the same page...
Brenda
Jan 08, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it
I was entertained the second Matt Richter book in the series, Dead Streets. While I still compare it to the Nightside, it has a few more pop culture references and recognizable characters. Looking forward to reading Dark War.
VampAmber
Once again, my dumb ass stayed up way too late just to finish a book, so I'll write my fangirly review later. Promise. And trust me, with a book (and a series) this good, it shall be all kinds of fangirly.
Sean Cummings
Feb 28, 2012 Sean Cummings rated it really liked it
Dead Streets is a fantastic read! Rodent Cosa Nostra, flesh tech, reassembled cadavers running amok and a prison break all rolled into one fast paced, kick ass book! Oh, and there's even romance of the dead kind. I'll pick up the third in the series next!
Phil
Dec 15, 2010 Phil rated it it was amazing
Loving this series. Fast paced and interesting characterization.
Sandy
May 28, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story but the book could benefit from better editing. How does a floating skull suddenly have a back for someone to jump on?
Dawn
This series is over the top and highly entertaining. It's filled with crazy characters and unbelievable happenings. It's a great easy and fun read.
PocketBlonde
Feb 25, 2011 PocketBlonde rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Second in the serues about a zombie PI Nd his half- vampire Girlfriend.
Kathryn
Apr 29, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Just as wonderful as the first one! Tim Waggoner is FANTASTIC!!!
G.
Mar 26, 2017 G. rated it really liked it
A little darker than the first one, but still funny as hell...
Ami

Matthew Richter - zombie detective at Necropolis -- was not having a good night. He was attacked, his head was cut off from his body. After he was able to reattach his head, Matt found out that someone used his body to steal an artifact (Osseal -- a bone flute that enabled the owner to command the dead) from Lord of the Dead, Edrigu. Framed, Matt was found guilty and sent to Tenebrus (the jail of Necropolis). Luckily, Matt's girlfriend, half-Bloodborn Devona Kanti and her security team
Noor Jahangir
Oct 24, 2012 Noor Jahangir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, crossover, horror
Do you find any of the following scary?

1. Vampires
2. Werewolves
3. Ghosts
4. Zombies
5. Monsters
6. Demons

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then wait till you get a load of the mean streets of Nekroplis. If you are planning on spending your halloween there then make sure you pack a 9mm with silver bullets dipped in holy water and a pocket full of magical charms; because this city break is going to be unlike any you've experienced before.

Dead Street's is Tim Waggoner's sequel to Nekroplis, ba
Alex Klimkewicz
Jul 14, 2012 Alex Klimkewicz rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, fantasy
Shortly after finishing Nekropolis I moved on to this sequel and quickly devoured it. Although this book had less copy editing errors -- though still many were present -- the text felt a little more repetitive and unoriginal. Also Waggoner has the annoying habit of making the narrative move forward solely through character dialogue. Sometimes zombie P.I. Matt Richter and his now girlfriend half-vampire Devona felt more like talking heads (which Richter actually was for a portion of the novel) th ...more
Yvensong
3 1/2 stars

First off, I hope that the paper versions of this novel are better edited than the Kindle version was. The editing and the layout just got worse and worse during the course of this novel, really detracting from an enjoyable story.

This was better written than the first, though there were a few continuity issues that bothered me. It felt as though the author hadn't remembered a few essential things that happened in the first, or decided to completely ignore them because he couldn't thin
Dave Wallace
Aug 30, 2015 Dave Wallace rated it liked it
Was heading for two stars but the ending pulled it up, barely. I like me some noir detective and it doesn't get more noir than a zombie detective but there are far too many fantastical inhabitants of Nekropolis with each one more "all powerful" than the last, that it distracts from the detecting. I wish that were toned down a little. I did however like the jailer mentioning that they had three separate inmates claiming to be the real Vlad the Impaler (all supposedly old even for vampires and rat ...more
Tarl
Jul 31, 2011 Tarl rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Ok, first off, the writing in this book is better than Waggoner's first. Far fewer run on sentences, which made me really happy. Second of all, I enjoyed the Easter eggs throughout this novel. From references to Lovecraft, Rocky Horror, to the Grudge (I laughed out loud at that one), and so on, he hides them well, and I enjoyed how they were implemented.

The storyline is good, though it does feel rushed from location to location to location. Not once do the main characters stay put for longer th
Clay Rylee
Nov 15, 2012 Clay Rylee rated it liked it
As much as I enjoyed Dead Streets and wanted to give it five stars, I am forced to give it three stars instead due to some glaring errors when it comes to inconsistancies from the first book to the second. I will say this though, despite or rather inspite of those errors, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recomend it, especially if you enjoyed the first novel... Just realize this novel has its flaws.
Richard Gaywood
Aug 19, 2011 Richard Gaywood rated it did not like it
Terrible. Less cute world-building than the first book; even more clanging, clunky dialog; some better jokes, but also one joke recycled word-for-word from Nekropolis. Littered with typos and continuity errors, both between the books and within this one (e.g. One creature is described as a floating skull, then later someone jumps onto "the creature's back").

Avoid. I didn't finish it.
Jo
Oct 21, 2012 Jo rated it liked it
The second adventure of Matt Richter, zombie P.I. and resident of another dimension. This time he gets caught up with Frankenstein's monster and a whole load of trouble. Great fun and thoroughly enjoyable.
Daniel
Oct 14, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it
The second of the Matt Richtor novels. A fun light read with great atmosphere and the continuing evolution of the relationship between Matt and Devona. A guilty pleasure
Lu
Jul 18, 2012 Lu rated it really liked it
loved it
Nadya
Sep 15, 2013 Nadya rated it it was amazing
Great read :)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • Knight Moves (Black Knight Chronicles, #3)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Amortals
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Jailbait Zombie (Felix Gomez, #4)
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • King Maker (Knights of Breton Court #1)
  • Howling Legion (Skinners, #2)
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Maze of Souls (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #6)
  • Monster Planet (Monster Island, #3)
  • Redlaw
  • Unnatural Acts (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • De Bello Lemures, Or The Roman War Against The Zombies Of Armorica
Tim Waggoner has published over thirty novels and three short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest and Writers’ Journal, among others. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College and in Seton Hill University’s Master of Fine Arts in Writing Popular Fiction program. Visit him on the web at www.timwaggoner.com.
More about Tim Waggoner...

Matt Richter (3 books)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)