Start by marking “i am neurotic: (and so are you)” as Want to Read:
i am neurotic: (and so are you)

i am neurotic: (and so are you)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  58 reviews
"Hand-Washers Unite, Online" - Rolling Stone

"Does it make me neurotic that I find this site immensely soothing to read? Soothing " - Scott Lamb, Buzzfeed

You can′t get through the day without checking to see if your front door is locked three times. You take exactly two tablespoons of cream in your coffee which must be swirling while you pour or else it just doesn′t take ri
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about i am neurotic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about i am neurotic

Erin
I read this book in like ten minutes, and every third page is something I do. How long have I been in denial?
Mitch
I LOVE this book! Every time I open it, I am cracking up aloud within seconds! I saw it in a gift store, and I perused it while in the store. I could not put it down, because I kept laughing. I carried it around and finally decided to buy it, to give to a friend. Then I kept it for several more days because I wasn't ready to give it up! I kept reading it and laughing. I gave it to my friend, and it cracks her up, too. Now whenever I go to her house, I open the book and thumb through it again, an ...more
GirlwiththeBraids
3.5 out of 5 stars
Ages 15+
RECOMMENDED

This book is based on real people’s submissions to iamneurotic.com so you know you aren’t the only one with these neuroses. From lining up the tacks on bulletin boards to eating Cheetos with chopsticks (orange fingers, eww!), over 200 neuroses are explored each with a wonderful photograph and a few short sentences.

This is a nice, quick sit-down read that’s really fun to look through. I didn’t expect the neuroses to be so different from each other. I found it
N.
Not sure how to rate this so I'm going with average to slightly above average for its potential usefulness when creating characters. I Am Neurotic is a book based on a website, with a photo and a description of a separate individual's neurotic habit or way of thinking on each page. Kind of comforting to find that some of my own neuroses, present and outgrown, were mentioned or something similar to them was noted. A fun little book, nicely illustrated with photographs on every page except the int ...more
Matthew
I honestly bought this book just this afternoon on a whim because I wanted some reading material to read on the subway I ended up finishing the boo in about 15 mins and realized that not only do I have some neurotic tendencies that were mentioned in the book, but also a couple others as well. I totally recommend this book for a great laugh as well as learning something new about yourself that you do that you though was the 'norm'.
Jennie
This was a really funny book and a great way to spend my afternoon. It is really short and takes no time at all to get through. I feel like I am a very neurotic person and found many of my outrageous behaviors brought up in this book, so that was comforting. Unfortunately, I also found myself agreeing with many of the other neurotic behaviors found within this book and I now feel a need to integrate them into my routine as well.
Cass
A quirky little book that one should not read in one sitting as it will make you feel exceedingly neurotic yourself :) :/
Alea
I had seen I Am Neurotic on a display shelf a few weeks back and thought it looked like something I would enjoy. Then later found out it was first a blog (I love the blog to book stories) and finally sought it out at the store recently. It was definitely what I had expected. I identified several of my own "quirks" in the pages of this book and other ones I had never considered!

It was a little funny and a little comforting to read this book. Finding out a lot of people have little things that the
Linda
Nov 20, 2012 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I bought this for a friend who does have some (admittedly) neurotic habits. I read through it before I sent it to her. Hilarious!

We've had fun conversations on whether or not some are true neurosis--for example, her husband says, "yes, it's neurotic" if you refuse to have liquids next to your computer. We disagree. We both see it as taking care of something very expensive (neither of us grew up financially secure, so we have more respect for the big-ticket items, I guess). However, we're split o
Gaby
Another HarperStudio book, i am neurotic (and so are you) is a light compilation of different "neurosis" depicted in clever photographs. Lianna Kong uses the term neurosis loosely and for effect. i am neurotic (and so are you) didn't appeal to me as much as I'd expected, some of the quirks seemed a bit contrived to me and I may have fixated on the loose use of the term neurosis. I expect that the book will be better appreciated by other readers, the book is a fast read and quirky with artful pho ...more
Si
Very entertaining and easy read. For anyone who has any OCD-type tendencies or "rituals" or quirky habits, you are bound to find out you aren't the only one. I found several that I used to engage in, quite a few I think about, and a few that I actually do myself.

Many are downright hilarious, and if you fit into the groups above, you will understand them a lot better than those "normal" people who don't give a second thought to organizing Skittles by color before eating, or making sure the closet
Tiffany
In the final days of Borders, everything was discounted to ridiculously low prices. I felt justified in buying a large stack of books due to the fact that I was saving them and giving them a warm and loving home. This was one of the books that I purchased.

To face the facts, I have a few little neuroticisms of my own and this book provided laughs of kindred spirits as well as slightly more extreme spirits.

This isn't really a literary piece (think Post Secret but for neuroticisms) but I enjoyed th
Linda M.C. Nguyen
This is an entertaining book, and upon reading it, some of these neuroses made me smile because I may know someone who is particularly neurotic about what is described in the book, while others times, I think I can relate to certain neuroses (although some would argue that I'm still in denial). I like the photography by Matthew Stacey in this book and the presentation is something too.

It's a fun book and it's easy to share and pass around. If you know someone who is especially neurotic, this boo
Elyse
I loved it!

Funny as can be!!! I'm still carrying it with me in my purse share with my friends.

Eating Cheetos with chopsticks, though? I love using chopsticks for many of my meals--but if the day came that I felt I had to eat cheetos with chopsticks---I wouldn't even bother! :)

Actually---aren't we all better off 'not-to-bother' with transfat-cheetos anyway? (guilty-guilty)....lol

This little book CUTE (love the pictures)
Sheila
May 19, 2010 Sheila rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with weird OCD rituals.
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
Most of these "neurotic" tidbits are borderline OCD. Like the need to put thinks in color order and line up pushpins. I found out some things I am capable of doing myself.

EX.

When pumping my own gas, I have to round to the nearest dollar after the pump stops. Say the pump reads $23.65. I have to pump more gas (as in to top it off) til the price reads 24.00. However if it goes to 24.01, I don't worry about it.
Catlin
Really funny!

It is just a compilation of pictures and thoughts, so it is super easy and quick to read. My favorites were "When I walk over a bridge I have to hold on really tight to my belongings because I fear I might throw them off" and "When I see a dented package or a can with a torn label I'll buy it because I feel sorry for it. When I'm feeling especially charitable I'll go for a bruised apple."
Mike Talley Jr
Wow, this book was alot better than I expected and seeing it sitting on the shelf in the humor section of Borders I couldn't pass on taking a gander at it. Once I discovered that I enjoyed reading other people's neurosis and love the full color pictures that accompany each neurosis, I had to buy it. Actually, reading this, I have discovered that I share some of these neurosis' with others. Haha! :)
Janie
I thought the even 1:1 ratio of picture to neurosis was what really made this book. Some of these barely qualify as unusual behavior, and some of them really aren't funny. (twitch twitch)

My mom (who was here when I checked it out of the library) thought it was LOL funny and plans to buy it for her spare room.
Lisa Massaad
Found this at Urban Outfitters and started reading while my daughter was in the fitting room...laughed out loud at some, and began sharing with my daughter. We found ourselves in many of the "neuroses" which made us feel good and scared all at the same time. We purchased to share with the rest of the family.
Katie
A small, but fun and entertaining read. I hadn't realized this was begun as a blog...I definitely want to check it out. It's always comforting to know that others share your idiosyncrasies (a nicer way of saying "all those weird OCD things you do"). Nicely accompanied with photos by Matthew Stacey.
John
Combination of a coffee table book and magazine article, which I finished in an hour or so.
I identified with a few of the behaviors, as well as finding several others not particularly "odd" or remarkable, although there were a few that seemed so silly I swore they'd been made up!
Patricia
I don't get it--what's wrong with facing your bills sequentially, and in the same direction? I thought EVERYBODY did that.
Very funny and just plain weird at times (see Ch. 3 "it's not you, it's me: how to have an akward interaction). But you shouldn't judge. It takes all kinds.
Keri
Funny book and you might notice yourself (and your quirks) in some of the pages. It's actually less of a "book" and more just quotes listed with great photographs. Really quick read and you are bound to get a laugh...
Arthur
Just the book to make you feel secure in your insecurities. The book collects anonymous confessions from iamneurotic.com, each illustrated with a fun photograph. The author works with Mel and the MIT Press.
John Poquette
Interesting concept but poor execution - this project doesn't need a book implementation. Since I've not seen the blog this is based off I think I would rather read it that way.
Jessica Hampson
Totally not what I thought it was going to be, but a fun and extremely funny read none the less. I def. laughed out loud several times. Makes me seem not so weird after all.
Jessica
The best one was the person who confessed to leaving restaurant tips in particular amounts so the total always ended up a palindrome.

Very cute, especially the visuals.
Athena
"Crumbs in butter tubs or jars of jelly drive me crazy. i have perfected my spreading abilities to ensure that i never transplant crumbs into containers..."
Jamie
While more than a few of these hilarious admissions were very familiar, there were definitely enough outrageous quirks to make me feel sane.
ky
Made me feel better about my own neurotic quirks :) I loved this book, the submissions are so funny, and I can totally relate!

~Easy read~
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • What I Hate
  • If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times
  • 50 Boyfriends Worse Than Yours
  • If It Was Easy, They'd Call the Whole Damn Thing a Honeymoon: Living with and Loving the TV-Addicted, Sex-Obsessed, Not-So-Handy Man You Married
  • It Could Be Worse, You Could Be Me