A Brief History of Mankind

A Brief History of Mankind (Brief History)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  3 reviews
From the Stone Age to the Space Age—an entertaining journey through our own story that asks not just how we got here, but also, where are we going? In this thrilling introduction to the big ideas in history combining the latest research in history and archaeology, Aydon tells the story of our species from our origin in Africa to the development of technology, detailing the...more
Published February 10th 2009 by Running Press (first published 2007)

Beth
I finally managed to finish a book!!!! It wasn't the book's fault that it took me so long to read.
I really enjoyed this book. The reason is because it gives an overview of history, starting 150,000 years ago, in broad strokes. As the back of the book says: it gives history not as a series of names and dates but as "developments that have shaped the lives of human beings around the globe[.:]" And I like my history in this way, big, broad sweeps that I can more or less remember.
I also liked how th...more
Marija S.
The four stars instead of three is not due to the content itself, because attempting to summarize thousands of years of history in 360 pages is nothing short of ludicrous, but because of the point of view which refrains from glossed-over stereotype history book lessons. A recommendable book as basis for further reading.

Notable Croatian translation by Predrag Raos.
David Williamson
A decent read, but not really what I was looking for. It gave the impression it was a book on the mindset/attitude/zeitgeist etc of mankind in a certain age in time, a more organic free flowing book on changes in perception of the world - we humans inhabit: what it is, is a history book, not a bad one, but not really what I was after. Still, a pleasant read.
Cláudia P.
Cláudia P. marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
David Arroz
David Arroz marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Ramkumar  R
Ramkumar R marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Sonja Žarić
Sonja Žarić marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Ivor
Ivor added it
Feb 08, 2014
Santiago Dotta
Santiago Dotta marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Sufiyan Faizi
Sufiyan Faizi marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Zach Opsitnick
Zach Opsitnick marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Story of Man Charles Darwin A Brief Guide to Charles Darwin, His Life and Times Scientific Curiosity Charles Darwin: The Naturalist Who Started a Scientific Revolution