Start by marking “Bangalee” as Want to Read:
Bangalee

Bangalee (Serendipity)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  773 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Bangalee tries to persuade the other kritters to change their messy ways before the dreaded grunk arrives.
Published December 12th 1977 by Turtleback Books (first published 1976)

Serendipity by Stephen CosgroveFlutterby by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop Tail Two by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop Tail Three by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop Tail Four by Stephen Cosgrove
Serendipity Series
9th out of 70 books — 5 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Gnome From Nome by Stephen CosgroveMuffin Dragon by Stephen CosgroveMorgan Morning by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop by Stephen Cosgrove
Books to Grow Up With Level 1
86th out of 88 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Cameron
Jan 22, 2009 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Woe is the sole voice of cleanliness amidst a world of junk, yet lo the many who messily meander and leave a trail of funk, for they will satisfy the hunger of the Grunk.
Audrey Baxter
Feb 02, 2016 Audrey Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello Childhood Memories

So much fun to read a book I remember as a kid. Fun illustrations and a story that has a lesson and is fun to read. This book enthralled my children as much as it did me when I was little.
Julia Brumfield
Sep 01, 2014 Julia Brumfield rated it liked it
Shelves: book, serendipity
The summary on this one is a bit off since the creatures don't seem to know what a grunk is until one shows up on their doorstep to eat away the trash left from the litter-bugging Kritters. The story was cute and entertaining while a fun way of getting one to be clean.

The Kritters went from one extreme to the other so I don't know how long they stayed a spotless cleaning creature but that is for the minds of the readers to ponder.
Cowgirlgem
Apr 11, 2015 Cowgirlgem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love Serendipity books and this one is my favorite one!

I just adore Robin James' illustrations, they are just so sweet, and the stories have nice messages.

Bangalee is about a sweet, quiet, tidy Kritter surrounded by messy, chaotic friends who learn the value of tidiness.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
3.5 stars rounded up because I remember how much I loved this book as a kid and the creatures are so cute.

These Serendipity books are not withstanding the passing of time for me.

In Bangalee, the creatures are in danger of being eaten by a monster because they don't keep themselves or their home clean. Once they monster goes away, they keep it clean ever after. Of course the hero is, "...the one creature in the whole world who could always find that spot you missed." Nothing was said about him b
Roger
Oct 07, 2015 Roger rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Basically 30 pages saying Clean up your room, hang up your clothes, bathe, and brush your teeth. The pictures are cute but the story is boring.
Lucinda
Mar 17, 2014 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Mom always read this to me when she wanted me to clean my room, so it holds residual childhood trauma for me. XD
T
Jun 26, 2015 T rated it really liked it
Clean up, or the Grunk will eat you. If that's not motivation to clean your room, than I don't know what is.

Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any child.
Cute book with typically awesome pictures, I'd expect nothing less from this author and illustrator team.
Cinnamon
Oct 08, 2015 Cinnamon rated it it was amazing
I loved this when I was a kid!!
Pam
Jan 03, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Great book, anybody else remember Mr. Farrand reading us Serendipity books in 7th and 8th grade French class? Those were the days!!
Tari_Roo
Mar 09, 2014 Tari_Roo rated it really liked it
My mother liked to use this book's moral to get us to clean our rooms and as kids we fell for it. Lovely illustrations and story telling. A good childhood staple in our home for many years.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Check out my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for my thoughts and memories of the Serendipity series!
Tonya Baumbach
Jan 12, 2013 Tonya Baumbach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-read
This was one of my favorite books as a child and wish i could put my hands on it today! Messiness will get you into a lot of trouble.
Cherie
Sep 11, 2012 Cherie rated it really liked it
I remember buying and reading this book to my granddaughter over and over and over. I love the book cover!
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi Pup)
Dec 09, 2015 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi Pup) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: my daughter
Bangalee teaches her friends that being neat is a good thing. Loved reading this as a kid.
Julie
May 10, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Great books for Children with moral to the stories.
Sandi
Feb 22, 2013 Sandi rated it really liked it
One of my very favorites growing up! :)
Jen
Jan 18, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
I really liked these books as a child.
HoLLs
Apr 19, 2013 HoLLs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of my favorite books as a youngin.
Sarah Leeder
Dec 21, 2014 Sarah Leeder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abookshelf
LOVED these as a child!
Jun 22, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Favorite book of all time!!!
Anie
Aug 28, 2011 Anie rated it really liked it
On the evils of being messy.
Cws
Jan 22, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Cos
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Eve
Eve added it
Feb 10, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
n
n rated it it was amazing
jade higson
jade higson marked it as to-read
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • The Wonky Donkey
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Little Miss Giggles
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • Noddy Goes To The Fair (Noddy Classic Library)
  • Kermit the Hermit
  • Tico and the Golden Wings
  • Dear Children of the Earth
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • The Littles and the Great Halloween Scare

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé