The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron

The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
With the release of Avatar, James Cameron cements his reputation as king of sci-fi and blockbuster filmmaking. It’s a distinction he’s long been building, through a directing career that includes such cinematic landmarks as The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, and the highest grossing movie of all time, Titanic.

The Futurist is the first in-depth look at every aspect of this...more
Published December 15th 2009 by Crown Archetype (first published December 1st 2009)

William Johnson
This review was reprinted from my website Secure Immaturity. Please check out the site and comment on this review and others.

As I’m writing this, I noticed James Cameron just won Best Director for Avatar at the Golden Globes. And that is, though many will disagree, well deserved. I loved Avatar and love every single James Cameron film (I don’t count Piranha II and neither does he). Aliens is one of my all-time top 5 while The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day are easily in the top 15/20....more
Chris
The story of James Cameron is one that every fan of his movies and aspiring filmmaker should read. James is such a unique character because he has always been about the concept of the story, not, how much money will this pull in for the studios, which is what only studios think about. James has always been about the impact of the story and what people should take away from it. What makes James Cameron such a different director is that during the process of making the movie, he thinks up new ways...more
Marty Murphy
I thought this was a fascinating depiction of Cameron, who does not give access to his private life and who will do very few interviews for Avatar. Interviews with his mother and father, ex-wives, siblings, friends, producers, studio heads, agents, stars, as well as Cameron himself. Yes, some of the salacious stories we have heard are in the book, but the author brings them to life with vivid firsthand accounts and new details never reported. I had heard the general story of the PCP poisoning of...more
Chad Kerychuk
For as many of Cameron's associates that Keegan had access to, the book feels as though it's missed a huge opportunity to pick these folk's minds and really show why Cameron has been the guy to push filmmaking forward. I felt the book should have been twice as thick and Keegan could have fleshed out many of the anecdotes contained within. Often, it feels as though the book is tailored more towards a general reader rather than anybody familiar with filmmaking or Cameron's work and life. Actual qu...more
Joshua Pruett
The only thing greater than the stories he's told on the big screen are the stories of how he made them, captured here in this thorough book by Rebecca Keegan. Though sometimes a bit too casual for my tastes, it covers the entire width and breadth of Cameron's career, revealing details about how he got started that were wonderfully revelatory and inspiring. Also makes clear that for all the rigors he puts his crews through, he turns the screws hardest on himself. From Piranha II to Avatar, paint...more
Mcsia
Apr 10, 2010 Mcsia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Movie/film, Avatar, scify, 3-D fans
Recommended to Mcsia by: Friend
I was never into biographies, but the book completely changed my perspective. Excellent biography of James Cameron. Rebecca Keegan provided numerous interesting and intriguing stories behind the production of Cameron's films, whether they were giant blockbusters or a small low budget movie. The book also portrayed Cameron's true genuine character... where he came from and how he became the king of the world/"MIJ", and most of all, his tremendous impact on the society and how films are made today...more
Stephen
This book is great, i love james cameron! He is, in my opinion, the best director ever! His life is amazing. This book is full of interesting facts, he has a vision and he follows it. He has contributed so much to filmmaking and people dont even realise! He is also a great writer in my opinion. Overall, really fascinating book and a great read.
Kwesi
It's interesting to hear the story behind some of the biggest movies of our time (Aliens, Terminator, Titanic, Avatar). And Cameron definitely had an interesting childhood. But there's nothing groundbreaking in this book; no deep insights or juicy tales. It's a quick read; solid book. I'd recommend it if you like Cameron or his movies or tech.
Sunny Verma
I guess the problem is that Cameron's life has so much to discuss that it is hard to transcribe in a mere 200 some pages. While I enjoyed the read, I felt like there was a slight pro-Cameron bias which I could have done without, especially considering all the other neutral reports I've read about what he is like in Hollywood.

Joe
This was great! A quick read filled with crazy stories about super-smart, super-arrogant, mega-director James Cameron. One of the best parts -- Cameron yelling at Schwarzenegger on the set of "True Lies" and asking him if he'd rather Paul Verhoven direct the movie. Good God! Awesome!
Margali
Interesting read, as I have been a big fan of Cameron's movies, but this bio verges on the hagiographic at times. The tone is that Cameron can be an immensely arrogant jerk, but all should be forgiven because he's a genius. I'm not sure I buy that.
Spencer
Beginning the book I though Cameron was a pious genius. After diving into his life story as well as his true love for film and storytelling, I count him as a definite tribute. Very good book, for Sci-Fi fans especially.
Leif
Definitely made me want to re-watch some of the older Cameron movies, especially the first two Terminators, now that I have a better idea of where these films came from and how they fit in their respective genres.
Kristian
Really good + even handed read about the life of James Cameron. Great pacing, and gives insight into how he works and thinks. I was surprised to see how innovative he was.
mike j mcguirk
Good, but obviously fluffy. Cameron's darker side gets a thorough glossing over.
Bob
Pretty good. Not much new, if you are already familiar with Cameron.
Reverenddave
The hagiography of this book quickly gets a bit much.
Lauren
If I could give this six stars, I would.
Monica
Very interesting read.
John E. Branch Jr.
John E. Branch Jr. is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Lily Chan
Lily Chan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Borgel
Borgel marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014