Start by marking “I Miss Mummy” as Want to Read:
I Miss Mummy

I Miss Mummy

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,958 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Alice, aged four, is snatched by her mother the day she is due to arrive at Cathy's house. Drug-dependent and mentally ill, but desperate to keep hold of her daughter, Alice's mother snatches her from her parents' house and disappears.

Cathy spends three anxious days worrying about her whereabouts before Alice is found safe, but traumatised. Alice is like a little doll, so
Published July 16th 2015 by Harper Element (first published September 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Miss Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Miss Mummy

Speak by Laurie Halse AndersonA Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherDreamland by Sarah DessenThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
YA Violence & Abuse Novels
140th out of 506 books — 728 voters
Little Victim by Harry KeebleThe Light in the Window by June GouldingThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsThe Boy No One Loved by Casey WatsonLittle Prisoners by Casey Watson
True Stories of Child Abuse
9th out of 98 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah Ward
Jun 03, 2015 Hannah Ward rated it really liked it
I was given this book by a good friend of mine, having never read any books by this author. Cathy Glass is an inspiration and she does write in the most amazing and dictating way. Poor little Alice does go through so much at the tender age of four. Such a lovely lady is Cathy, what a wonderful thing to do being a foster carer. Lovely written ending. Will be reading more of Cathy Glass's books.
Betty Jo Pritchett
Jan 25, 2013 Betty Jo Pritchett rated it really liked it
I really like reading stories from foster care providers. This author is very similar to Casey Watson, another UK foster carer. We have considered becoming foster parents ourselves so I like to read what it is 'really' like. Although the UK has a very different system than the U.S. I do like the interactions between the family members and like to see the effect that the foster children have on the whole family. This book was no exception to what I like about this type of book. Alice, a four year ...more
Jojo2012
Jun 28, 2012 Jojo2012 rated it it was ok
I hope Cathy Glass puts some of the fortune she's made from selling these children's stories back into the social care system...

Very easy to read and informative for someone considering foster care; interesting for someone already doing the job to see how other carers struggle with social services and deal with decisions made that they don't necessarily agree with.
Aspen
Nov 08, 2012 Aspen rated it really liked it
Very moving story. I read this book on an eReader, and I liked that it was not edited for the US. It was kept with UK English, while a bit confusing to me, it made the story more true, and I liked that. The author is a good writer, she has a nice flow that keeps the story moving and she has a good heart for what she does. I would recommend this book.
Ana Luisa
Apr 28, 2012 Ana Luisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iniciei a leitura deste livro com algum receio. Acredito que a leitura de uma história verídica deve ser feita numa altura em que se tenha um certo estado de humor para que se possa entender e afeiçoar à história da forma correcta. Nunca tinha lido nenhum livro desta autora, que tem um longo historial profissional em casos de crianças em situações problemáticas, mas fiquei cativada pela forma doce como descrevia cada pormenor. Este livro fala de uma menina de quatro anos que foi retirada aos avó ...more
Heidi
Dec 07, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
This was a sad but uplifting story about a little girl, Alice, who gets taken into the foster care system because somebody had gotten the impression that Alice's home life was unstable. Her foster carer, Cathy, gradually starts to realize that Alice shouldn't have been taken out of her home in the first place. Sadly, getting Alice back to her loving family isn't as easy as it should have been.

When 4-year-old Alice first came to Cathy's house, she was different from most of the other kids Cathy f
Jaymee-laura
Jul 03, 2012 Jaymee-laura rated it it was amazing

Another fantastic novel by Cathy glass. This is the first book of hers I've read where child abuse isn't part of the storyline, but it was still one of the saddest. It kept me interested until the end, and wasn't at all predictable.

The author tells the true story of Alice, a four year old girl in the foster system that she, as a carer, is asked to look after. Alice is being taken away from her mother and grandparents, and going to live with her father, who she doesn't know at all. When Alice ar
Den
Feb 03, 2013 Den rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true, 2013
I have read a number of Glass books now and it was quite refreshing to read one which didn't feature child abuse but it highlighted how fragile and sometimes unfair the system is. You never knew what was finally going to happen to the little four-year-old girl, so lord only knows what she was thinking. It is down to Cathy that she remained so stable.
Basically a young girl is taken from her grandparents into care to stay with Cathy, a foster carer, and her family.She is only supposed to be with C
Christine bonner
Oct 21, 2013 Christine bonner rated it it was amazing
This is a story of a little girl called Alice

Alice is to be placed with Cathy and her family on the Friday but it did not work
Before she even came to Cathy her mum had taken her and hid her for a few day,
Alice love her Nan grandpa and her mummy but she dont love her daddy and his new wife

this book will have you in tears, but Alice is a very brave girl and you will grow to love her as you read the book

for the people that have fostered or foster you will feel for poor Alice as you for every child
Enya-Marie
Apr 19, 2013 Enya-Marie rated it liked it
While difficult to comment on personal accounts and true stories I thought this was the most disappointing Cathy Glass book so far. The monotony of her repeating her daily routine and outlining her worries continously got very old, very quickly. It would've been a lot better if she had at least broken it up a little with more personal stories maybe about past foster children or her own children but as it was it felt more like I was reading a diary rather than a book that has been worked on and c ...more
Maggie
Jul 10, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
I find the case studies of Cathy Glass's foster children utterly fascinating. Although I am very aware that this is essentially a memoir written by Cathy and is thus suspect since she would naturally show herself in the best light, I have so much respect for how she handles the difficult day-to-day issues she must deal with in caring for these children. Alice's case history was particularly touching because she was such a young child and there were no allegations of any kind of abuse. How Alice ...more
Kerry
Feb 28, 2016 Kerry rated it it was amazing
as always with Cathy Glass I loved this story! I think it was an objective view of how too many cooks spoil the broth as it were in Alices case and obviously how this impacted the social services getting it so wrong. I felt for Alice but she showed courage throughout the story and you fell in love with her. I did feel sorry for her family and the reason she was taken into care was so ridiculous so its no wonder Alices family had no trust in the social services but I am however glad the redeemed ...more
Catherine
Jun 10, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-stories
For this genre of abuse like stories this is excellently well written. The chapters are well paced, with good endings that make you want to continue reading. I particularly like this story as this child in many ways is not a victim of abuse, or neglect, she is well loved and well looked after, a family is just caught up in system they can't really comprehend. And pretty much everyone is well meaning and wants the best for everyone involved so a nice ending to a story where many dont end well.
Louise Mackin
May 06, 2016 Louise Mackin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Spoiler Alert***
Another brilliant book by Cathy Glass!! This one really tugged on my heart strings as Alice's future was agonised over & due to her age, decided by the professional with very little regard to Alice's feelings even though Alice's feelings were the right ones.
Theresa
Jan 07, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
Such a sad, sad story and not because of abuse like in the horrible case of Jodi but because there was none. There must be an incredible shortage of social workers in the UK because they were an issue with Lucy, Jodi, Alice. It's either a shortage or lack of empathy. Thank goodness Alice finally had Kitty but who knows how bad things could have turned or how long it would have taken if a decent social worker hadn't finally been placed.
Fazlina
Jul 25, 2011 Fazlina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first ever English novel which I finished successful. I encouraged to grab this novel because of the marks of ‘true story’. It is better to get into the true life rather than we just caught into the writer’s imaginations. I am not very sure with my feelings after red this, but honestly, my eye mist with the scenes. I love Alice (the one who miss her mummy) and am pleased to have a daughter with ingenious like her.
Jules
Aug 05, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cathy-glass
I wish I could give this book 10 stars! For me its the last Cathy Glass book - and admittedly I think it has to be my favourite. As usual, Glass` portrayal of the story left me hungry for more and almost unable to put this book down, I desperately wanted to read it to find out what happened. Thankfully a very happy ending, although I was in tears! Fantastic! ...more
Lorraine
Nov 25, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I love reading stories written by Cathy Glass. This novel was uplifting and at times gut wrenching. It's about a little girl, named Alice, who despite being put through foster care usually seemed positive and happy. Cathy was right to trust her instinct that Alice was truly loved by her grandparents and mother. Great read
Just
Oct 15, 2013 Just rated it really liked it
I think this would have to be the worst foster story I have EVER read. Not because it was poorly written. Not because Cathy didn't do a great job. No it was because the social services got this case so very, VERY wrong! My heart was bleeding for poor little Alice but thank goodness for such a caring foster family as this one that saw her through it!
Kristin
Mar 15, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This story broke my heart because I really never understood why this little girl was taken away from her gradparents. It shows how children really can and do get lost in the system. I was happy that eventually she was assigned to a social worker who was interested in getting to the bottom of why this little girl was in care to begin with.
Cindy Williams
Oct 05, 2012 Cindy Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: human-interest
This book made me incredibly sad. I cannot believe the social services did not check out the child's circumstances more thoroughly before they removed her from a loving home. And then to read they were thinking of placing her with an abusive father. That is unfathomable!!!
Merete
Sep 18, 2013 Merete rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, english
I love all of Cathy's books! I think I have read almost all of them by now. They teach me things that my teachers at school don't (I study social work an protection of children and youth). So thank you for writing this fantastic book. It's easy to read and hard to put away.
Hope
Jan 30, 2014 Hope rated it it was amazing
Considering I am only young and have never really thought about fostering, Cathy Glass' books are one of those that you just have to kepp turning the page. Dealing with love, loss and suffering, her books offer an insight into her life as a foster carer.
Elizabeth Ray
Jul 20, 2016 Elizabeth Ray rated it it was amazing
I continue to love Cathy Glass books! Poor little Alice is going to be taken into care when her mother snatches her and takes her into hiding. Luckily, Alice is later returned. As Alice stays with Cathy, Cathy becomes more and more confused about why exactly Alice was taken into care. She seemed to be well-looked after by her mother and grandparents. Social services prepares to have Alice get ready for adoption by her father and new stepmother, who she barely has a relationship with. Alice's new ...more
Kellie Mackrell
Jun 12, 2015 Kellie Mackrell rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It was a really good read that kept me interested from start to finish. This is the second or third book I have read by this author and I just love her stories although they can be sad.
Jayden
Jul 01, 2014 Jayden rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking story about young Alice who is taken from her grandparents for little or no reason and then the struggle to make things right again.
Andrew Hall
Oct 11, 2015 Andrew Hall rated it really liked it
This shows the bureaucracy gone mad in child protection services. I have read three of Cathy's books now and none have failed to touch me.
Cindy
Dec 20, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
A very sad story of a little girl who suffers due to a failed system. Very well written.
lauren costello
Jul 08, 2015 lauren costello rated it it was ok
a bit boring at times as it seemed to drag on
Sylwia
Sep 27, 2015 Sylwia rated it it was amazing
I read that book in few hours !!!
  • Mummy’s Little Helper: The Heartrending True Story of a Young Girl Secretly Caring for Her Severely Disabled Mother
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • Hush, Little Baby
  • Mummy Knew
  • Silent Sisters
  • Daddy's Little Earner
  • Twilight Children: Three Voices No One Heard Until a Therapist Listened
  • Scarred
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story Of A Little Girl Betrayed By Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Abandoned
  • The Step Child: A True Story of a Broken Childhood
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy
  • Lovey: A Very Special Child
  • Street Kid
  • Betrayed
Cathy Glass is a bestselling British author, freelance writer and foster carer.
Her work is strongly identified with both the True Life Stories and Inspirational Memoirs genres, and she has also written a parenting guide to bringing up children, Happy Kids, and a novel, The Girl in the Mirror, based on a true story.
Glass has worked as a foster career for more than 20 years, during which time she ha
More about Cathy Glass...

“she was yearning to be with her grandparents now.” 1 likes
“they were missing each other so much that all topics seemed to lead back to their separation and loss.” 1 likes