Start by marking “The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint” as Want to Read:
The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint

The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Beloved stoner comedian TOMMY CHONG is now older, wiser, and officially an EX-CON.

On the morning of February 24, 2003, agents of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration launched a sting called Operation Pipe Dreams and forced themselves through the door of Tommy's California home, with automatic weapons drawn. As a result of the raid on his home; the simultaneous ransa
Published June 5th 2007 by Gallery Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The I Chong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The I Chong

Chris
Nov 28, 2007 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: stoners who found god
I saw that Tommy Chong was doing a book reading at the Booksmith on Haight St., and I thought... Cool! Half of Cheech and Chong on Haight St. I'm gonna smoke out and joke out with Tommy-freakin'-Chong!

But no.

It's a good book, just don't expect it to be laugh out loud funny or some sort of sketch comedy novel. This about finding spirituality and owning up to your problems and mistakes. It's about how, even in your 50's, it's never to late to grow up.

Serious stuff from a seriously funny man. Made
Rick Rowland
Just go ahead and read it. No harm done. It's a quick read and there is nothing so relaxing as hearing stories from an old hippie. Go for it. Ya can't loose. Enjoy.
Ac
The prison experience definitely caused Chong to find religion, which he expounds on at length. Although some of the anecdotes are entertaining, particularly his reflections on his fellow inmates, I found myself really wanting to know more about his life in Hollywood, working with Cheech, and the sacred herb. I'm waiting for Chong's autobiography which will no doubt be more entertaining than this book. To be fair, I read it in one sitting at an aiport...
Melody
Wow, Tommy's mad at W & the current administration. And one can see why, after reading this true story of persecution and incarceration for the crime of being pro-pot in these parlous times. Shameful, that's what it is. Chong sounds like one expects, breezy, zen, a little muddled, but good natured.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I mostly just read this because I ran across it at the library and remembered the Cheech and Chong flicks of my youth. Parts of this are interesting and funny, and I like his outspoken condemnation of Baby Boy Bush and his cronies. An easy read.
Susan
On the morning of February 24, 2003, agents of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration launched a sting called Operation Pipe Dreams and forced themselves through the door of Tommy's California home with automatic weapons drawn. As a result of the raid on his home; the simultaneous ransacking of his son's company, Chong Glass; and the Bush administration's determination to make an example out of the "Pope of Pot;" he was sentenced to nine months in prison because his company shipped bongs to a ...more
Erik Graff
Jan 17, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chong's fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
I picked this up for my roommate while he was ill, hoping to cheer him up emotionally because I couldn't make him better physically. It's a book about Chong's arrest, prosecution and punishment in the name of the federal government's "War on Drugs"--an effort as ill-conceived as the presently concurrent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, as the author points out repeatedly.

The description of prison life was interesting to one such as I who has never spent more than a night at one--and then at a nice,
Tim
It seems somewhat ironic that I stumbled across this book -- which deals with comedian Tommy Chong's federal imprisonment for distribution of drug paraphernalia -- in the airport in Istanbul, Turkey. It's a far cry, though, from Midnight Express . [return][return]In part autobiographical, the book deals largely with Chong's conviction and imprisonment. He focuses on the perceived unfairness of his sentence given his celebrity status but also makes clear that his stint in the joint certainly was ...more
Trevor
Man, I don't even remember what this book was about...
Oh yeah, this is the one where Tommy Chong inadvertently convinced me to stop smoking weed.

Tommy Chong is a funny and respectable guy, but his writing abilities as shown in this book are lackluster. Fortunately, he begins unveiling his adventurous, exciting life in disjointed sequences of enthralling tales from his childhood. He has a lot of interesting stories to tell, but then suddenly mid-story he goes off on a tangent of how important it
bob
Apr 17, 2007 bob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All of America
What this man endured at the hands of the Ashcroft "Patriot Act" fascists is shocking. The tactics used against him should be a wake up call to all americans, Especially those who think eroding the constitution is acceptable for the illusion of "safety". (I would also say rent "V for Vendetta" to these poor dissilusioned folk).And yet, it isn't a diatribe, but a story of triumph over oppressors, and a funny, well written memoir from a counter-cultural icon. Reading the book and even writing this ...more
Chayne
This is more of a 3 1/2 star rating but more towards the 4 side. It's the autobiography of Tommy Chong during his stay in the pen for illegally trafficking bongs over state lines. It was an interesting read into the mind of America's most notorious pot smoking comedian. Although he comes off as a stoner to most, he is actually very insightful and talks about things that really make you think. One of my favorite excerpts is a section where he talks about the ego. It really sucks that he was sent ...more
Rob
Tommy Chong has a very down-to-earth sense of spirituality mixed with an eloquently spiritual protest against the Republican manipulation of mass-media, the economy, politics, and their destruction of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I really enjoyed his sense of humor and sharing his journey. Chong is a pretty amazing guy who has been capable of accepting a powerful lesson about love and life and not turning to darkness and hate. His comparisons of our current government's abuses and manipu ...more
dejah_thoris
Not bad but not what I expected either. Read it for book group and really enjoyed hearing about his upbringing, but as one member put it: "It's like listening to free form jazz." Tommy tends to ramble a good deal and go off on these spiritual tangents that can be a bit distracting, but it's what I expected from the book. As another member put it: "It's what you'd expect him to write as part of a plea bargain." But he is right on the War on Drugs though I wish certain parts of the narrative were ...more
Timo Walters
There's a lot of mocking done of Tommy Chong, but this man is very intelligent and spiritual. Although the government corruption involved in his arrest and incarceration are addressed, they are by no means a major subject matter. Chong's experiences and personal relationships are very positive in light of the situation and his thoughtfulness and mindfulness are rather inspiring, as is his ability to leech the positive out of everything instead of being angry.
Scott mcdougall
Being a Canadian i was surprised that he is canadian and grew up where he did, and became what he is. I am impressed by his stories and sense of Karma. His articulation and story telling are not the best but the content comes through.

This book conveys a message clearly and tells a great story of his childhood. For canadians this book is a must read. He is the hippie dope smoking version of Farley Mowat.

The book made me smile and feel good many times.
Grace
I felt like this was Tommy Chong giving himself a huge (and what he thinks is a well-deserved) pat on the back. Even for a memoir, it read like a giant "Aren't I, Tommy Chong, just so great?" advertisement. It was interesting to read based purely on the man, and it had a few (though alarmingly few) funny points. Overall, I didn't feel like it was a waste of time, but reading it twice would be.
David Ward
The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint by Tommy Chong (Gallery Books 2008)(Biography). Author Tommy Chong is best known as one-half of the legendary 1960's dope comic duo "Cheech and Chong." In 2003 Tommy chong was sentenced to a nine month stretch in federal prison for distributing marijuana pipes. this is his story. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 20010.
Keri
Dec 14, 2007 Keri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone..not just stoners
First off...Tommy Chong isn't the best writer. He loses stars for that. That said, I actually found this pretty interesting. He's deeper than you would expect and has interesting view of spirituality, politics, etc. I kept reading it in his voice, and would always have "Low Rider" stuck in my head.
Mu
I was expecting a hilarious tale and ended up reading a nearly religious books. It is entertaining but I feel Tommy Chong relaxed too much on the comedy side of his writing. Still, a good coffee table book.
Virgil
The book was ok. I enjoyed the moments of enlightened that Chong experienced while in prison. It was nice to learn about his beliefs and how he maneuvers through this world. Its worth reading.
Robert Molyneaux
Chong is a good man, with a big heart. He makes me laugh, and now I want to learn Salsa dancing. And by the way, he never should have gone to jail. But that's a different story.
Rachel
I really enjoyed Tommy's story about his incarceration and what really happened. His eyes are open to the injustice that happens everyday yet he still enjoys life.
I got to meet Tommy Chong during a book signing. I have to say that he is so easy going. His biography was eye opening. I will read this again!!!!
Terry
Tommy Chong has a lot going on in his head that his persona doesn't let on to! Loved the book. I think he'd be a GREAT dinner guest.
Jen
A good reminder to not take for granted our freedoms - and to remain aware so we can keep them...
Richard
Jun 07, 2007 Richard rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like cheech and chong movies
Not the greatest read, but interesting insights from someone with world experience. Quick read
Andrew Hanna
WOW, man... The Government spent $11 million prosecuting Tommy Chong ...
Nick
Humorous with some good points about the insanity of the war on drugs.
Tedhansiii
Nov 14, 2007 Tedhansiii rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one.
I love the dope smoking culture and Tommy Chong but this book was unreadable.
  • Stephen Colbert: Beyond Truthiness
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Mysterious Stranger: A Book of Magic
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • The Foundations of Buddhism
Thomas "Tommy" B. Kin Chong is a Canadian-American comedian, actor and musician who is well-known for his stereotypical portrayals of hippie-era stoners. He is most widely known for his role as Anthony Stoner in the marijuana-themed Cheech & Chong comedy movies with Cheech Marin. He played Leo Chingkwake on FOX's That '70s Show.

More about Tommy Chong...
Cheech & Chong: The Unauthorized Autobiography The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint Get It Legal: End Prohibition Now! Cheech & Chong: The Unauthorized Autobiography Cheech & Chong