Start by marking “The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  64,791 Ratings  ·  1,337 Reviews
From his rooms in Baker Street, Sherlock Holmes's brooding figure emerges into the foggy streets of Victorian London to grapple with the forces of treachery, intrigue, and evil.
Published (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Riccardo This is a collection of stories that concludes a cycle in the Sherlock Holmes saga. Before you read this one, you should read, at least, "A study in…moreThis is a collection of stories that concludes a cycle in the Sherlock Holmes saga. Before you read this one, you should read, at least, "A study in scarlet".(less)

K.D. Absolutely
Terry
Another series of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes as reported by his faithful biographer Dr. Watson and it becomes clearer than ever that the real draw of these stories is the fascinating character of Holmes himself. The mysteries are secondary to the enjoyment, though many of them do prove to have distinct elements of interest (otherwise why would the great detective have bothered himself about them?), but it really is in observing the fascinating character of Holmes himself that the reader i ...more
Barry Pierce
As with most short story collections, you have hits and misses. However in this collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, Conan Doyle writes far too many misses to be it to be enjoyable. As the collection went on I found myself getting less and less invested in the stories of the great detective. I tutted and sighed at how formulaic and ridiculous some of the stories were. My utter frustration came to a vocal climax when Holmes was pushed from the Reichenbach Falls and I muttered, "thank god".

If yo
Kelly
Jan 04, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Come and see the Softer Side of Sherlock Holmes! The stories in this collection focus on the revelation that: "Sherlock Holmes! He's Just Like Us!" He makes mistakes! He judges too quickly! He was once young and went to school! He had friends! He has a brother (who is, as Sherlock readily admits, smarter than he is, just without his ambition)!

We (shockingly!) essentially find out that he is a human being. We see Sherlock has a family, and has interests other than things that have to do with his
Teresa
Feb 14, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though some of these stories slipped into the formulaic, I was still entertained. The one I keep thinking of, however, is the one that's most laughable – for both good and bad. “The Adventure of the Reigate Squire” is problematic in its plot elements, especially with the introduction at the very end of a name we’d not heard before (What?!), but the description of Sherlock’s physical actions are a visual delight (and that’s something I don’t usually value). The 'bad-laughing' had me wondering if ...more
Kenchiin
Oct 30, 2015 Kenchiin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-mystery
I think this is my favorite.
Luciana
Feb 17, 2017 Luciana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pensaba darle 3 estrellas porque la verdad es que estos cuentos no me atraparon tanto como los de otros libros (salvo "El problema final" que fue GENIAL).

Pero le doy 4 estrellas, porque me parece interesante conocer nuevos aspectos de la vida de Sherlock Holmes, por ejemplo, descubrimos un poco más sobre sus comienzos en la profesión, conocemos a su brillante hermano Mycroft y a su mayor enemigo. Todos estos detalles suman :)
Edward
--The Greek Interpreter
--The Naval Treaty
--The Final Problem
Vane J.
In 2010, we had to read for classes one of the Sherlock Holmes' books. My teacher gave us three options. Those options were The Hound of the Baskervilles, A Study in Scarlet and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. We had to vote for the one we considered the most interesting, and the winner was THotB. Since then, I made the promise to read the entire canon... but I did it with one purpose: To get to TMoSH. Do you know why? Because in this one Holmes was supposed to die, and also because Moriarty app ...more
David Sarkies
Jan 06, 2017 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another Collection of Holmesian Mysteries
7 January 2016

In a way I’m not entirely sure how I should approach this book, particularly since I generally don’t review short story collections as a whole but rather each story on its merits. Mind you, that is probably going to cause a little bit of a problem when I get around to reading the Collected Tales of Edgar Allen Poe, particularly since I can’t do The Raven the injustice of lumping it together with a bunch of other stories. Then there is At th
Tfitoby
The Death of Holmes!

Whilst not the title of the story or the book containing it that is exactly what is included in this collection. But of course we all know better than that these days. We all know that Doyle was forced to write more Holmes stories against his wishes. Poor guy.

I think the dislike Doyle had for writing the Holmes stories is incredibly apparent with this collection. Some of the stories are dull and formulaic - ten pages of somebody telling Holmes about the case and ten pages of
Antonella

4.5/5

"Es perfectamente natural que yo, al publicar estos breves bocetos, basados en los numerosos casos en que las extraordinarias cualidades de mi compañero me convierten en un agente y, en ocasiones, en actor de algún drama extraño, es perfectamente natural, digo, que yo ponga de relieve con preferencia sus éxitos y no sus fracasos. No lo hago tanto por cuidar de su reputación, porque era precisamente cuando él ya no sabía que qué hacer cuando su energía y su agilidad mental resultaban más a
Johanna
Apr 21, 2013 Johanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone and anyone.
Reichenbach Falls
Switzerland

To Whomever It May Concern,
After visiting the famed "Reichenbach Falls" yesterday, (an experience I was informed must not under any circumstances be missed - and I was not disappointed) I was most disturbed about the safety of the walks leading around the falls. The cliff is steep, and the drop a good way down. If one were to
fall, that person, I think, would no doubt come to a rather unfortunately nasty end. Since the path, also, as I noticed, is a slippery and trea
Fred
Jan 26, 2017 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a short story collection, it contains eleven short stories. Unfortunately, I only managed to read four of those stories: these stories are lengthy so it’s not as if I read a tiny segment of the book and then gave up, I did get far in before deciding to stop reading. Usually, I only stop reading books when I’m about to give them one star but I wanted to get this one finished even though I still liked it, in a way.

I did like this book: I’m glad I’ve read a Sherlock Holmes book and I d
Pink
Apr 12, 2013 Pink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Holmes, another hit? Yep it was for me. I found myself liking this collection of stories more and more the further along I read. Yes there's a formula to each of them, yes you can usually see what's coming a mile off, that or it's completely implausible. Yet, there is something about Sherlock that is captivating. Is it the writing, the relationship with Watson, the whodunnit? I'm not sure exactly, but I'll quote George Orwell on the matter of Holmes in his essay entitled 'Good Bad Books' ...more
Stefania T.
Jun 22, 2012 Stefania T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra...Lettura.

Giungo in questi afosi ed estivi istanti al completamento della lettura di circa 1/2 del "Canone", termine che identifica l'intera e completa collezione dei romanzi e dei racconti che vedono protagonista l' "autentico" Sherlock Holmes, quello nato dalla penna di sir Arthur Conan Doyle (distinto da quello "apocrifo", generato dalla discutibile creatività di altri scrittori post-Conan Doyle).
Raggiunto questo piccolo traguardo, linea di demarcazione fra i c.
Diane
Another delightful collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. My favorites were Silver Blaze, The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter, The Adventure of the Naval Treaty and The Final Problem.

The Final Problem is famous because Arthur Conan Doyle wrote it to kill the character of Sherlock Holmes. Doyle was reportedly tired of the detective and wanted to be free to write other things. (However, fans of Sherlock were so upset that Doyle eventually relented and brought him back to life.)

I listened to t
Cori Reed
Oct 16, 2016 Cori Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was enjoyable! Having never read any Sherlock stories I was unsure what to expect going in to this, but I was duly entertained! From reading classics lately that are very different from what I assumed (I'm looking at you, Frankenstein!), I was pleasantly surprised that Sherlock is exactly what you think he will be.

I am definitely willing to pick up more Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the future!
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4), Arthur Conan Doyle
Keith
Aug 08, 2011 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, ohmahgerd, I was straight-up-literally a different person when I started this book like 18 months ago. I carried it around for sooo LONG in the front pocket of my backpack, thinking it would be one of those books I could pull out and read one-mystery-at-a-time whenever I had downtime. But srsly kids? Downtime is for reading X-Men comics. A man's gotta commit to Sherlock Holmes.

So although I don't remember the first half of this book at all anymore, I'll say that I quite enjoyed the s
Matt
Apr 01, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as exciting as the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Not many chases or anything. The most exciting story is probably the last one where he faces off with Moriarty. Once again these stories are fun, and I can see why kids would really like them, but vastly inferior to Agatha Christie.

I have a beef with Sherlock. I don't actually buy that most of Holmes logic would be correct. He makes an incredible observation, then extrapolates that and is never wrong (I think he has been wrong once in
Ana Luisa
I'm currently rereading this book and will be adding reviews for each short story as I read them

Silver Blaze: 4 stars
This story centres around the disappearance of the favourite horse to win the Wessex Cup, Silver Blaze, and the death of his trainer, John Straker. After days and the police's inability to find the horse and the culprit, Holmes is called to investigate.
The plot and the mystery were very well-designed to show Holmes's full capacities as a detective, and proved his saying: "The worl
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
This isn't going to be a terribly in-depth review, because I think I might just review the series as a whole once I finish reading them all. I have a huge omnibus on all of them, so yeah. (It was free for Kindle for a while, but I think it may be gone now ... AHHH.)

Anyway, like all the Sherlock Holmes I've read, I enjoyed this one a lot. It didn't stick with me quite as much as the one before it (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes), but it was still enjoyable. And we got to meet some awesome new
Mohammed
The first 4-5 stories i thought this collection was not as consistently great as The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes collection i read before it. What i liked in this collection that was different from that collection is that several of the stories dealt with how flawed Holmes was in his detection,cases. If he didnt have enough facts,evidence he wasnt a brilliant detective. If he wasnt quick the criminals might get away forever from the police,justice.

The best stories who made the collection strong
Ghalia Al-Ali
i have mixed feelings about this, i feel like if i gave it much more time i would like it more but since its in my read a thon pile.. no time for that. i loved some of the cases and hated others, i can't give an absolute opinion now but i will try to re read it asap! i loved the BBC Sherlock and i absolutely recommend you watch it though xD !!
Özlem
"The Naval Treaty" *****
"The Final Problem" *****

Jaro
May 20, 2016 Jaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in The Complete Sherlock Holmes.
Rosena
I enjoyed this Sherlock Holmes compendium no less because the cover was emblazoned with the sex gods known as Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, respectively.
James
Another collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories, this time packaged as the memoirs of rather than the adventures of, but the format is the same: eleven stories from the archives of Dr. Watson. Some are from Holmes's early days, some from when Holmes and Watson were besties and some from after Watson had married and moved out. There are some innovations too however.

Firstly, we find out in The Greek Interpreter, that Holmes has a brother – Mycroft – who turns out to be much more corpulent than
Casey
Oct 06, 2009 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the hallmarks of the Sherlock Holmes stories is that they are not actually told from Holmes' point of view. They are told by Dr. Watson in the form of newspaper stories which chronicle his friend's investigations. This is not odd in itself, except that Holmes often leaves Watson behind and hours later returns to recount the adventure's ending to him. This structure is never more fascinating than in the famous "The Final Problem," in which Holmes and Moriaty tumble over Reichenbach Falls. ...more
A forgery? 1 25 Jan 30, 2016 12:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: Publication Date 1 19 Dec 23, 2015 02:54AM
#AYEARATHON: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle (SPOILERS) 1 11 Jun 29, 2015 11:49AM
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe, #30)
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • The Seven-Percent Solution
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Man from Hell (Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Paperback))
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)

“It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.” 1757 likes
“Of all ghosts the ghosts of our old loves are the worst.” 112 likes