Start by marking “Wheedle on the Needle (Serendipity)” as Want to Read:
Wheedle on the Needle (Serendipity)

Wheedle on the Needle (Serendipity)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  405 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
All that Wheedle wants is a little peace and quiet, and all the people of Seattle want is a break from the rain. Will they be able to cooperate and find a solution? Full-color illustrations.
Published August 5th 2002 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Wheedle on the Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheedle on the Needle

Serendipity by Stephen CosgroveFlutterby by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop Tail Two by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop Tail Three by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop Tail Four by Stephen Cosgrove
Serendipity Series
6th out of 70 books — 5 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Gnome From Nome by Stephen CosgroveMuffin Dragon by Stephen CosgroveMorgan Morning by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop by Stephen Cosgrove
Books to Grow Up With Level 1
79th out of 88 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexandra Chauran
Jul 27, 2013 Alexandra Chauran rated it it was amazing
I remembered this book from my childhood, when I was already too old to believe that there really was a wheedle on the Space Needle. This is the best modern place-specific kids book of all time. Most such books feel like you're reading through a forced list of tourist spots that they hope the adults reading the book will be happy for their kids to learn about. This one instead weaves a living mythology with only a few landmarks that KIDS will recognize.
Lindsey
Apr 29, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Serendipity books which (I think) I was introduced to on Reading Rainbow. The Wheedle is just looking for some peace and quiet but his city (Seattle in the original tale) just keeps growing and growing, getting noisier all the time. The solution makes for a good tale about community involvement and making a solution work for everyone.

As a kid, this book made me want to travel to Seattle and go to the top of the Space Needle. Just in case.
Michelle Ruedin
Sep 27, 2015 Michelle Ruedin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine-dead-tree
This book is the reason I will always be vaguely disappointed that people aren't whistling everywhere in Seattle. :D
Jen
Dec 12, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
A childhood favorite -- whenever my sister and I saw the blinking light we'd scream out "WHEEDLE!!!!!!"
Sherrie
Jun 02, 2014 Sherrie rated it really liked it
One of my childhood favorites, every time I see the red light blinking, I know it's the wheedle!
Stefanie Ibanez
Aug 30, 2012 Stefanie Ibanez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Adorable bedtime story. Seven year old girl requested it.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
One of my most favorite books as a child.
abcdefg
This is a local children's classic that tells the story of a "Wheedle" who lives peacefully in the great Northwest until his peace and quiet is encroached upon by the people who come to settle in Seattle.

The people whistle while they work, making it impossible for the Wheedle to get proper rest, so the Wheedle escapes to the summit of Mount Rainier for some peace and quiet. However, over time, the Wheedle eventually wakes up to find that the people have built their city and towns so close to hi
Shayla
Jun 23, 2015 Shayla rated it liked it
This book is about a Wheedle. He lived in the wild, and all of a sudden men came and started colonizing close to where he lived. These men whistled while they worked, and that bothered the Wheedle. He could not sleep while they were constantly whistling. So eventually the town’s people made him earmuffs, and they all lived peacefully in each other’s company.
I like this book because there is text on one side of the page, and there is a detailed picture on the other side of the page. The text and
The classic children's tale of Seattle. When I was a child the author visited our classroom to read this book. I still remember it to this day. I have shared the story with my children and will someday with my grandchildren. Every Northwest child near and far should know the tale of the Wheedle on the Needle.
May 05, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
this was one of the books a long time ago, we had all these books from Serendipity, what a great book, I wonder if I actually will see the actual space needle, I had that experience of seeing famous realities so, that is enough for me, we seem to never get enough of the senses, seeing for instance, etc
Julia Brumfield
Apr 23, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, serendipity
Not only a twist on the fables that we grew up with but a great how-to story. The story starts off showing the effects that man has on the poor Wheedle and his trying escape from their racket. Although he gets temporary relief he finds himself up and seeing that civilization has advanced to his doorstep.

An entertaining story that is short and simple to read of one creature's attempts to find a place in the world while at the same time the same world having to learn to compromise. And definitel
Aubrey
Sep 10, 2014 Aubrey rated it liked it
Cute and charming story about a Seattle-area creature who wants some peace and quiet. Themes: changing environments/deforestation, dealing with change and creative problem solving.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any child.
While this was not my favourite Stephen Cosgrove book, it was still a classic and I enjoyed it as a kid.
Noah Sebastian
Oct 14, 2009 Noah Sebastian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids in seattle or visiting me in seattle
Recommended to Noah by: Betsy the best librarian
This is my first review that I transcribed to my mom. I read it by myself. It was a funny book about a monster / creature that moves from one land to another because whistlers (birds, people etc.) kept him awake. He finally ended up on the top of the Space Needle in Seattle, and creates rain. You have to read it yourself to find out the end.

Mom input: This was a good read yourself book, and an awesome folk tale for kids in Seattle
Linda
Sep 13, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
a fun book to read to my children before/after a trip to Seattle 26 years ago to visit the wonderful Space Needle. Now this evening I'm sitting at my son's kitchen table looking out the window at the Space Needle all lit up against the night sky ... and the serendipity lines of the children's book Wheedle on the Needle come back to me as clear as can be. I'm sure the book is still out there, entertaining another generation of young ones.
Carly
Dec 27, 2009 Carly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thefirstbooks
Got a replacement copy for Christmas of this classic Seattle children's story. Charming, and firmly entrenched in a Pacific Northwestern sensibility. My belief in the Wheedle held out as long as any other childhood fantasy, and made glimpsing the Space Needle at night much more thrilling. This was originally published by Serendipity Press, which I can never find now in local bookstores...
Sara
Apr 26, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was never one of my favorites as a kid. It upset me a little. lol. I don't like noise either. It also had a very Grinch-esque quality to it, though the Wheedle isn't exactly trying to hurt anyone. I can see how it would be a great book for a kid with a view of the Space Needle from his bedroom window, but I lived in VA. ;D
Pam
Jun 15, 2009 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I was wondering what would provoke a writer to tell a story about the Space Needle, when I realized the books were originally published in the city of Seattle.

this is such a cute tale and will surely answer those questions for the fog, the rain and the blinking light on the top of the Space Needle.
Christiane
Dec 10, 2009 Christiane rated it really liked it
I know this marks me as old, but I fondly remember those brightly illustrated and gently moralistic Serendipity books of my youth. Also, my brother had a stuffed Wheedle for years. This 35th anniversary edition is a big picture book, great for sharing with a new generation of Seattle kids.
Agnes
Apr 20, 2010 Agnes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great for local Seattle kids - a story about the blinking light on the top of the Space Needle. The longer narrative spreads out taking up the left side on each panel. Full of bright colors and the big, red Wheedle centered on each illustrated page.
Courtney
Apr 17, 2007 Courtney rated it it was amazing
What causes that blinking red light on top of the Space Needle? It's the Wheedle! I loved Stephen Cosgrove's books as a kid - I read every, single one! This, Catundra, and Morgan and Me were some of my favorites. The illustrations are fantastic as well.
Natalie
My kids love this book!! (the Space Needle is one of their favorite landmarks) Shared it at playschool and everyone else loved it too! Cute, imaginative and perfect for their imaginations - esp the children living in the Puget Sound area :O)
Esmoi
Jan 15, 2010 Esmoi rated it really liked it
This is an awkwardly written book and would really only earn a three-star rating from me if it weren't for the fact that the tale is a classic for any child who grew up in the shadow of the space needle. And I did.
MissInformation
This is an old one. It is just a story if you live outside Seattle, but if you live here, the reference to the blinking light on the Space Needle being the Weedle- you can see how kids loved that.
Apr 23, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
Mostly I liked this because it took place in Seattle, such a rare occurence, it seemed to me that most books took place in the much more glamorous New York City.
Kristen
Apr 06, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I loved this book when I was a kid. I just purchased a copy for my own children since we will be visiting the Space Needle this summer. Very simple and very cute.
Kerry
Aug 24, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Baby's first heroin book, just kidding, it's about a sleepy sasquatch and the Space Needle, in Seattle. Delightful and whimsical as always.
Ana Itza
Dec 17, 2012 Ana Itza rated it really liked it
En español "Ubaldo el inconforme", un excelente cuento para niños qué habla sobre el ser felices sin quitarle la felicidad a los demás.
Paige
Oct 11, 2010 Paige rated it really liked it
We had this book when we were kids...loved it! and always looked at the top of the space needle and thought of him. sigh. Good times.
  • The Animal Family
  • Little Miss Splendid
  • Quiet Loud
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • The Wizard
  • The Jewel Fish of Karnak
  • The Tale of a Boy, an Elf, and a Very Stinky Fish (Jackson Jones #1)
  • Alphabeasts
  • The Market Square Dog
  • I Love You This Much: A Song of God's Love [With CD]
  • The Cart That Carried Martin
  • The Flea's Sneeze

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé
  • Crickle-Crack (Serendipity)
  • Dragolin

“Dedicated to all the children and not-so children that live and play in the shadow of the Space Needle that stands in the heart of Seattle, Washington. It is where my heart will always be. Most special of all, this book is dedicated to my granddaughter Lauren. May she live in the shadow of the Space Needle forever and a day.
-Stephen/Dad”