Start by marking “House of Mystery, Vol. 3: The Space Between” as Want to Read:
House of Mystery, Vol. 3: The Space Between

House of Mystery, Vol. 3: The Space Between (House of Mystery #3)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,208 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Matthew Sturges, writer of the Eisner-nominated JACK OF FABLES, and his JACK co-writer Bill Willingham, the creator of FABLES, continue unlocking the doors to the HOUSE OF MYSTERY, the graphic novel series that reinvents the classic DC Comics concept. This newest volume features Sex, suspicions and treachery as the characters trapped in a supernatural bar inch finally disc ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about House of Mystery, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Mystery, Vol. 3

Brad
Dec 18, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it
I really started loving this by 13, so now I'm a fan of the series. The complications and the revelations are spot-on, too, shortly afterwards.

The stories are getting much more interesting. I still don't know how it all ties together, but that's certainly a lot better than having seen it all before. :)

And Cain! Yup. Always liked Cain.
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
This was a thin book, both in terms of size and development. It didn't help that I didn't remember much from the last installment, so I felt like I was playing catch-up. I do look forward to being able to go back and read the series through, once it's completed.

In the past I never minded the vignettes. I felt they added character and personality to a sort of standard story. And some of them were rather lush, in either fantasy or horror.

This installment didn't have much horror, which is ok, but I
Anna Hakopian t (-_-t)
Oct 26, 2015 Anna Hakopian t (-_-t) rated it liked it
Shelves: may-2015
I wanted to first understand the story before sharing an opinion. Here we go..

Bethany "Fig" Keele find herself trapped in the House of Mystery, a interdimensional zone that is at the crossroads of time and space (I think). She is unable to escape this place along with four others. The House of Mystery itself sets an amazing storyline. People are required to share different stories, whether it be true or a personal anecdote. We learn about the different worlds each character comes from.

I would s
Ryan
Dec 04, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: justok
What a disappointment. I really hoped this would be fun. But unfortunately, there just wasn't enough character development. I know that expression seems a bit overused when describing the mass of most comics published nowadays, but it is definitely fitting here. A great illustration of my point is found in the last short story in this volume. It was done as kind of a joke, but they must not have seen the irony contained within "Jordan's Idea with Gorillas and Shit". The piece is funny. In it, on ...more
Orrin Grey
Dec 04, 2013 Orrin Grey rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
As usual, there's a lot of stuff to like in this volume of the House of Mystery, but all the same complaints that I've leveled at the previous two volumes are still in effect here. The Space Between explains some stuff, but not in any way that really makes me care about what's going on. I still feel like an outsider on the whole House of Mystery thing, and I don't guess that's likely to change.

The art's still pretty good, and this volume does feature their special thirteenth issue, with stuff li
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Sadly, I like this series less with each book. I am not giving up on it yet, but I'm getting icky feels that leave me disenchanted. I have to be honest and say I don't really get the kernel of thought behind the story. I feel like it's out of reach of me and I don't think the expected revelation is coming as I read. I feel like my chain is being tugged, and I hate being manipulated.

I feel that it teeters on the edge of being the kind of horror that doesn't appeal to me. Stories with darkness tha
Matt Sautman
Feb 05, 2016 Matt Sautman rated it it was amazing
My relationship to House of Mystery appears inverse to much of the Goodreads community. In the earlier volumes, I felt as if there was not as much substance to the story, but as it has expanded in length, the complexities of the story arc become more apparent. I still stand by the criticism that the art is not the best, but symbolism in the story has continued to evolve. The Space Between is more than a horror comic, it is a meta-comic about the relationship between author/artificer and text/art ...more
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Aug 04, 2014 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, vertigo
The star issue (for me) in this volume would probably have to be the final issue (15).

It had ninja gorillas, or ninjorillas, if you would, in it.

As far as I'm concerned that's worth 4 stars right there.

There is also a story in this volume brought to us by Eric Powell which is always a treat.

Oh yeah... And dragons and dinosaur wizards (once again Jordans story, or in this case his movie idea) steals the spotlight!

Hell of a lot of fun! I'd probably actually give this one a 4 and a half if I co
Aaron
Nov 02, 2014 Aaron rated it it was ok
All right, I guess this series is pretty much done for me. Gone is any sort of organic, natural buildup and mystery development. Everything just flies forward by leaps and bounds in this volume, explaining away anything that made the House interesting in the first place, replacing it with dumb crap about alternate universes and a species of people that live "between worlds" or some shit. It is amazing how much promise has been completely jettisoned by Sturges here.

For one, he NEVER explains who
Sam
Feb 15, 2014 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't really get into this, I don't know whether it is because it is the third volume (which I didn't realise when I got it out of the library) or whether it's just not my thing but neither the story nor the characters managed to grab my attention, let alone keep it. The illustrations are brilliantly done and a full of atmosphere and foreboding but the story seemed a little flat with no real purpose or meaning. Think I'll have to hunt down the two previous volumes and come back to this one.
Venus Maneater
Dec 31, 2015 Venus Maneater rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A lot less scary than the first two issues, but still an absolute thrill to read. While I'm not a fan of all the artists in this issue, I am a fan of how perfectly their styles seem to match the stories told.

And the ending!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jul 21, 2014 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
This series is just something. Suspenseful and the art is really good. Then there's the covers, very cool. Anyway, don't know what else to say, but that I want the next volume to read.
Stewart Tame
Apr 09, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
Well the identity of a previously masked character has been revealed. Things seem to be coming to a head. We'll see what happens in the next volume. This is a fun series!
Felix
Jun 17, 2011 Felix rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The pace of the storytelling is quickening, which is a good thing. The backstory is starting to be fleshed out, improving the general feel for the setting. I'm not sure I like what I get, though. The whole thing with the Space Between the Worlds and the Conception is all very well, but I don't feel it sits well with the background Mr. Gaiman gave to the house. I don't know about the original series, so maybe it's alright on that front, but as a fan of Gaiman's take on things I just can't warm to ...more
Scott Lee
Dec 17, 2014 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Still fun. Some nice revelations in this one about the overarching story line. I enjoy the short stories, generally, but its the ongoing stuff in and about the house that clinches the book for me. This volume focused there even more so than the first two. That means the short stories themselves were a bit weaker, but I think that the volume as a whole was better for it.
Neil
Mar 06, 2011 Neil rated it really liked it
Sturges really hits his stride with the third volume of House of Mystery. We learn about Harry, we get to understand the forces moving against the house and its inhabitants... we learn the ancient history that spawned the house in the first place. Sturges takes full control of the plot and concepts, maintaining continuity with Gaiman's work, but making this series wholly his own. Rossi's art with Marzan Jr.s edgy inks continues to be excellent. It is rare that artists can capture the disconcerti ...more
Kevin
Feb 18, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it
A good, continuing story, with a surprise ending.
Jutta
Aug 22, 2015 Jutta rated it liked it
ooohhh, secrets revealed... what's next
Matt
The third in this series, The Space Between (comics 11 - 15) picks up some of the pace that was lacking in Love Stories for Dead People. Though, maybe it's me being picky, but it seemed too much happened at once. I suppose it's because some key themes of the series were being wrapped up. But perhaps the pacing between Space and Stories would have been better had parts of this been relegated to the previous collection.

I still love it though, and plan on giving a copy of 13 to a friend.
Lara
Jan 31, 2010 Lara rated it really liked it
Things are getting more and more intriguing! There were a few rough spots...stories that, as far as I could tell, didn't seem to connect to anything that was happening within the main plot line, even in the very loose way that the little one-off stories usually do. But even with those interruptions, a lot happens in this volume, and it seems like we're really starting to make some headway into who the main players are and where things are leading. This is definitely one of my very favorite comic ...more
Hannah
Jan 17, 2015 Hannah rated it liked it
A little convoluted at times, but still quite enjoyable.
Rachel Hall
Aug 17, 2013 Rachel Hall rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this history and like I had referenced before there is a very similar feel in the story to the series fable and even shares some collaborators. I loved the twist at the end (but I won't spoil it) and I had no idea it was coming. The artwork also continues to impress, as it perfectly depicts all the worlds that are somewhere between dreams and nightmares. I continue to highly recommend this to any graphic novel who enjoys a clever story line.
Gina
Jun 06, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, graphic-novel
My favorite graphic novel is the macabre, creepy graphic novel. I was turned onto this series loosely based on the old House of Mystery comic books of the past. This is the third in the series! There is one story encompassing the whole series, that of the people populating a bar in the House of Mystery, but those bar patrons need to tell stories to get drinks so there is plenty of short treasures in the pages as well. The art is great and diverse!
Fizzgig76
Reprints House of Mystery #11-15. Harry is faced with the truth about the House of Mystery as the Conception moves in for an ambush. House of Mystery is one of those series that has some good and some bad. The characters seem all underdeveloped for as far as the series is and it is because they have to stop for a short story every issue. The short stories aren't bad but they sometimes don't add to the overall story.
Rachel
I am absolutely LOVING this series, and this volume is no exception.

In the main mystery storyline, a lot of questions get answered--but it's ok, because new themes and directions, with questions of their own, are introduced. "Fig's Adventure in Stuffytown" (is that what it was called?) opened up and hinted at interesting possibilities. And once again, the smaller stories were interesting and varied.
Jaimie
Feb 09, 2013 Jaimie rated it liked it
As much as I enjoy reading this series, it's a touch disjointed at times. The story jumps around between multiple "nows" and previous stories told by the characters, and half of the time there isn't any indication besides the art style changing slightly. They can get away with it (mostly) in the graphic novel format, but trying to make sense of the once-monthly releases must be rather trying.
Alan
Feb 24, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it
Volume 3 answers many of the questions raised by the first two volumes, and introduces us the world and concept of the Pathfinders. I'm not certain that I love any of the characters here, but I like many of them (Fig, Harry, Dragon, and more) and the paying for your drinks with a story does gives the writers multiple ways to tell stories.
S.M.M. Lindström
Jan 31, 2016 S.M.M. Lindström rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
This where this story lost me a little. Not in the sense that I didn't understand what was going on, but because I began to suspect how it would end. And with five more issues to go already having guessed the ending sort of takes the "mystery"-part out of the title. Still liked many of the stories-within-stories though.
Entertaining, but nothing outstanding.

More is uncovered about the origins of the house of mystery, how to cross from one world to the next, and who controls the house.

I find barkeep Jordan's stories hysterical. Glad they gave him another one in this volume.

I'll keep reading the series.
Jeremy Muse
Jun 20, 2011 Jeremy Muse rated it really liked it
Again, I love these books. This time rina's story ends, figs dad convinces one of the group that they are the house, one turns into a dragon, and Cain is revealed. Lots of cool stuff, and even some cool short stories. Walking dead and House of Mystery are my favorites comics.
  • Taller Tales
  • Lucifer, Vol. 9: Crux
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 4
  • Air, Volume 3: Pureland
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings

House of Mystery (8 books)
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 1: Room and Boredom