Start by marking “Sleepwalk” as Want to Read:
Sleepwalk

John Saul

Sleepwalk

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  4,243 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
A peaceful desert town is taken over by a madman with terrifying powers.
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published October 1st 1994 by Bantam Books (first published November 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepwalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepwalk

Kasia
Feb 13, 2011 Kasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trippy trip into the desert heat

I’ve had such a good time reading lately that I haven’t realized I was falling behind on my reviews so here we go…
This particular title from good ole’ Saul was a fun little romp that crossed a suspense thriller with a sci-fish mystery, I found it at my local library in the beginning of December - the shiny brand new copy beckoning to be read so I took it, somehow it was almost forgotten but in the end I saw it again two weeks later by my bed and just picked it up
Nikki
Apr 05, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saul has a way of grabbing the reader's attention in just the first few pages and keeping that attention throughout his entire novels. Each one of his books brings a new story of some of humankind's greatest fears and Sleep Walk is no exception. He is also able to introduce new fears into a world that is already full of them. I wish I could only know where he comes up with the fantastic tales of terror and horror that he is able to weave into a perfect story.

Sleep Walk takes place in a small to
Benjamin Stahl
This was my second time with John Saul, and I had mixed feelings about him after reading 'Hellfire'. That one wasn't great, but I did find it quite entertaining nonetheless. With 'Sleepwalk' now - which was written a little later on in his career - there is a noticeable improvement in both his character development and the fluidity of his prose. This one is better written, with its settings more skillfully constructed and its story more stylishly told. Except despite these improvements, I didn't ...more
Keith
Aug 20, 2011 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SAUL NEVER WRITES TO WASTE YOUR TIME....
ALWAYED PREPARED TO UNLEASH A TALE OF UNCERTAINTY AND A CLIMAX THAT WILL KEEP YOU UNSEATED AND FROTHING FROM THE MOUTH AND THE BRAIN.
OH THAT WAS SOO GOOD!!!
GOD THAT WAS SO GOOD!!!!!
Marcela Iacomi
Roman controversat care arata ca, totusi, si tinerii au discernamant si pot lua decizii corecte.

Ross Staadecker
I found both the language and the common grammatical and contextual mistakes very annoying.
Melva Clark
Nov 20, 2016 Melva Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been very busy. This is a well written and interesting book
Rissy
Aug 12, 2013 Rissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-saul
Summary: Judith Sheffield held a teaching job at a terrible school in the heart of East Los Angeles. Everyday she found herself scared for her life. She wanted to get away from the danger and the horrible children but she couldn't think of any other place to go.

Then one day she got a call from her Aunt Rita in NM, whom she hadn't seen in ages. She told Judy about the opening at their High School. Since the old Math teacher suddenly had a heart attack they needed a replacement. And since Borrego
Douglas Castagna
Like the last few times I read this one to appease the urging of my wife. I will say that this one was more my style. There was someone killing troublesome teens. An American Indian background, and some pretty nasty violence help raise the interest level for me and John Saul in general with this book. I was immediately drawn in to this one and saw what a lot of other Saul fans already knew. This was a book from a great storyteller. I finally found the story that proved this to me.
Adam Wilson
Apr 24, 2010 Adam Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can John Saul even write a bad book? I don't think I have read one by him I didn't give at least 4 stars. Anyway, Sleepwalk is about a quiet New Mexico town with some restless troublemaking teenagers and a newly appointed teacher named Judith. After the old teacher dies of what seems to be a massive stroke, and after Judith takes her place, she begins to discover some odd things about happens in the town. For one, the manditory flu shots don't contain a flu vaccine but something much more synist ...more
Les
Jul 06, 2015 Les rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I ever read by John Saul. The story takes place in a small town called Borrego in New Mexico. Something is going on in this town. They have oil wells and for some confidence the original owner of this company is dead from a stroke. The company is being brought out by another company and he dies and his house is burnt to the ground and his wife is killed. Prior to his death a teacher dies the same way from a stroke. On top of that one of the brightest students wakes up ...more
Andrea Blythe
I've had this on my bookshelf for ages and finally picked it up because it was a lightweight paperback to take on the plane. It served its purpose as something to read, but it annoyed me in several ways. The main character was a teacher; I was a substitute and my sister and friend are teachers, and the descriptions of classrooms and schools in the book did not ring true. None of the characters were particularly interesting either and the evil corporation conspiracy storyline was cliche. Plus the ...more
Petra
Aug 10, 2011 Petra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Der Titel der Originalausgabe("Sleepwalk") trifft deutlich besser auf die Handlung zu. Es geht nämlich nicht darum, irgendjemanden in der Stadt zu halten, bzw. ihn zu bestrafen falls er vorhaben sollte, wegzugehen. Ziel ist vielmehr ordentliche und artige Bürger zu schaffen, die tun, was man ihnen aufträgt und zwar ohne nach dem Grund zu fragen.

Mein erster Roman von John Saul, ich hatte mich auf ein spannendes Horrorbuch gefreut und war dann am Ende doch etwas enttäuscht. Die Geschichte ist nich
NATUI
Jul 05, 2011 NATUI rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the digital edition of this book. I have to say I missed the feel of the book in my hand. Still, it was a good read, and not nearly as "out there" or creepy as some of the John Saul books I've read. After having spent time in New Mexico, it was interesting to read a book set there. I might like to read it again in regular book form, but I would definitely recommend it for people who like this genre.
Marianneboss
Uhhhhh, evil doctors with evil plans and evil experiments. So original.
Oh, wait, I just read that on "Shadows"... Yeah, I'm not impressed...
description
Thee_ron_clark
Nov 26, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of horror and John Saul.
Shelves: other-horror
This novel is standard John Saul fare. It's very well written and easy to get through. One aspect I found very intense about this particular novel is Saul's ability to describe claustrophobic situations so well that I began to feel uncomfortable. Kudos for that. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Shanda Wilson
This had a very interesting storyline. I would give it a 3.5 star rating because the storyline had so much potential for surprises and twists and turns. I felt that the author played it safe and missed the opportunity for a truly thrilling plot.
S.A. Parham
Aug 13, 2007 S.A. Parham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Typical eerie Saul, with many twists on a story. I'm trying to remember my days of really loving his work, and I recall he has a theme of targeting teens as victims of whatever supernatural force is at work in each book.
Janith Pathirage
Not what I expected it to be but a decent psychological thriller with good suspense. But I really expected the killer to be a crazy Red Indian with some supernatural powers. Can't give it more than 3 stars.
BA
Jul 18, 2009 BA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Couldn't find this book in a search and had to create it. I went through the effort because I thought the story was different with a twist on the ending that I never saw coming...that doesn't happen to often.
Nathan Shumate
Moves along at a nice clip, and I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened, but a) there's way too much space devoted to union politics in the first half, and b) head-hopping all the time! Argh!
Kate
I am pretty sure that in this book there is a girl whose mother straps her down to her bed at night due to her sleepwalking habit. It might be Second Child, but who knows. It would just make sense for it to be this book, right?
Doug
Nov 01, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-j-saul
By far the best Sauk book I have read. It is not be same old hashed-over (and entertaining) drivel about a possessed teen exacting revenge on an abusive relative. This one has substance, a clear plot, defined characters, and a very natural flow.
Chris Warner
Dec 19, 2015 Chris Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Suspenseful

What a great book. It kept you guessing from Starr to finish. I truly couldn't figure out how this could possibly wrap up at the end. Loved it.
Ashley
Jan 29, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book makes me actually believe it is possible... Creepy and unsettling, but well written, and enjoyable.
Priyanka
Mar 07, 2014 Priyanka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring and stiffling. First time I read John Saul. I am not sure I am going to pick up a John Saul book anytime soon.
Pedro
It wasn't terrible, but the way he glosses over [main geek-related plot element] was a bit sloppy. He barely explains it at all.
Greg Pittman
Jul 21, 2011 Greg Pittman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Saul has delivered another electrifying novel. This one had me hooked from the start and I didn't want to put it down. Could the plot really happen in reality? Read it and wonder!!
Steve Schlutow
Mar 23, 2016 Steve Schlutow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy most of Sauls' books, but this book was a very bad book. I didn't care for the characters, nor did I like the story.
Johanne
Jun 10, 2014 Johanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story was terrible. Uninspired nature vs. technology, not quite sci-fi, not quite horror but deffinitely predictable and unengaging.
  • Magic Terror
  • The Mask
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • Savage
  • The House
  • Night Chills
  • Breathe
  • Shadowfires
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Emerald Germs of Ireland
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he