Start by marking “Hell House” as Want to Read:
Hell House

Hell House

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  19,577 ratings  ·  1,131 reviews
Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is going die. But when Deutsch, a wealthy magazine and newspaper publisher, starts thinking seriously about his impending death, he offers to pay a physicist and two mediums, one physical and one mental, $100,000 each to establish the facts of life after death.

Dr. Lionel Barrett, the physicist, accompanied by the mediums, travel to the Belasco House in
Published April 1st 2011 by Tor Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Hell House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell House

Dirk Grobbelaar

"Isn't it just another so-called haunted house?"
"I'm afraid it isn't. It's the Mount Everest of haunted houses."

The excesses depicted in the history of the Belasco House (and here you can list any blasphemy and perversion you can think of) make for morbidly fascinating reading in itself and sets the stage for this 1970s horror novel.

I was actually surprised at how grim this book gets. It’s much more explicit than contemporaries like Rosemary's Baby, which was published
Edward Lorn
I've tried to read Hell House numerous times. The writing seemed a little too... simplistic, I guess would be the word, for my tastes. It's also, at times, annoyingly repetitive, and had my buddy Thomas Strömquist (sorry I still haven't figured out how to link to other people on this site) hadn't accepted my buddy read proposal, I probably wouldn't have ever finished it. I couldn't understand, for the life of me, why everyone suggested I read it. "It's a horror classic!" and "It's soooooooo scar ...more
Dan Schwent
I've been a Richard Matheson fan for a few years now and he rarely disappoints. Hell House is no different. A dying millionaire offers a physicist and two psychics a hundred thousand dollars apiece to spend a week in a haunted house to prove or disprove the existence of an afterlife. Sounds simple enough, right?

Tensions run high between the investigators. Barrett thinks Florence's beliefs are crap and his scientific explanation is the only one. Fischer doesn't seem to be doing much which also ir
I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to read such a horror classic by one of the masters who has influenced so many others, including Stephen King. First off, what I loved:

1) What’s not to love? Matheson manages to accomplish a haunted house story that is not only supremely eerie and filled with a creepy atmosphere that’s sublime, but a full-on assault of the senses as well. This book does not pussy-foot around – it is in your face practically from page one all the way through to the end.

Whoa, creepy, scary book.

This must be required reading for Wes Craven and Clive Barker and other horror movie directors. Published 6 years before The Shining, I also wonder how much this influenced Stephen King. Alas, I did not care for the ending.

Well written, imaginative, and innovative, Matheson again displays his power as a storyteller in this genre.

Book ten of the commute. This book is yet another "product of its times", and once again the times in question are the seventies (see also "Still Life With Woodpecker"). This book, if some of the blurbs on the back cover are to be believed, is a classic of American horror, and I'm a big fan of horror (especially Stephen King, who is in fact the praising voice of one of the back-cover blurbs) so I decided to check it out. Like a lot of good horror, the book combines fantastic fears, like ghosts a ...more
Mar 22, 2012 Maciek rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in what a 70's gothic novel might be
Obviously inspired by Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, Richard Matheson's Hell House pays homage to Jackson by borrowing the basic crux of the plot - several characters gathering to investigate a seemingly haunted mansion - and making the story his own instead of merely copying the earlier novel.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the original Hill House was its ambiguity concerning the origin and source of the hauntings; it Hell House there is plenty of ambiguity, but it's obvious tha
I think this is going to be a hard book to review. It has a reputation as one of the scariest haunted house books ever written, and I went in with high expectations. There are some genuinely scary moments in there, but in the end, it just didn't do it for me.

It's very much a produce of its times, in this case 1971. It's particularly obvious in the treatment of sex and sexuality (which is, frankly, crude) but also in the handling of the paranormal. Physical mediums like Fischer are all but extinc
Thomas Strömquist
Buddy read with awesome buddy Edward Lorn. This one must've made waves in '71! I was quite surprised by the explicit narrative. I was fascinated by the vile and depraved history of the Belasco house, horrified to learn about the evil and malignant force waiting for the members of the investigative party we get to follow inside its walls, and disturbed by the brutal assaults that follows.

Characterization is really good; with quite small means we get to know each member of the cast and they feel a
Good creepy novel. While not so awesome as The Shining or Haunting of Hill House (the two greatest haunting novels ever, IMHO), this is a solid showing in the genre. Furthermore, as a friend pointed out, in the sprawling shelves of crappy modern horror, this is definitely a worthy read. Some readers complain that it has a dated feel, but I disagree. The 1970s technology has little bearing on its fright factor; for my own part, I prefer horror novels to be slightly old-fashioned -- tape recorders ...more
It's late October, and in the spirit of the season, I am dedicating most of my reading to horror. Wheee!
Hell House has been on my to-read list for a very long time, and thanks
to the magic of Kindle reading, a copy was readily available to me at the push of a button.
Adding to the excitement was a chance to read Richard Matheson again, whose only works I've read have been I am Legend, and What Dreams May Come.

Well, I'm sad to say that Hell House has turned out to be a disappointment.

This is, of co
Chilling thriller, a house which has a history of indulgence in evil and acts of the most vile and depraved committed by residents and visitors years past by and all departed this earth or have they? Are their souls still haunting the house?
That's the task of a group who have been hired to investigate the house for the supernatural, but a game is being played against them as they take resident the question is by who and will they leave alive?
Matheson is a great writer when it comes to painting
I do love a good haunted house story. I'm always on the look-out, either for fictional accounts, or "real" books based on "real" experiences. I can't get enough of it.

But it's hard to find good ones.

I mostly enjoyed reading this. There are some problems with it that I can't quite get over, and telling myself "Well, it was the 70s" doesn't make me feel any better about it. Like the mansplaining. There was a lot of mansplaining and it made me angry.

But there are some great details in these pages t
“Welcome to my house, I’m delighted you could come. I am certain you will find your stay here most illuminating. It is regrettable I cannot be with you, but I had to leave before your arrival. Do not let my physical absence disturb you, however. Think of me as your unseen host and believe that, during your stay here, I shall be with you in spirit.” ~ Emeric Belasco

Belasco House…Hell House…within these dark passages and cavernous rooms resides the residue of pure, unadulterated evil.

This book be
Rick Urban
I decided to read this book after a few horror writers listed it as the scariest book they'd ever read...well, fear, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, and this late in a life devoted to reading many horror writers and seeing many horror novels, this book seems like fairly thin gruel. At the heart of my dissatisfaction, though, is the obtuseness of the manifesting spirits that is the hallmark of so many ghost stories: while a spirit may be strong enough to lift heavy tables to the ceili ...more
Once again, Richard Matheson shows why he's the man. I read this book after reading The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, and of the two, there is no doubt which I prefer. The Haunting of Hill House wasn't so much scary or creepy was it was atmospheric and interpretable. You can see anything you like in it. But Hell House takes that inspiration and runs with it, not only giving us those things, but more - creepiness, doubt, faith, hope, dread, manipulation, science and religion, and mor ...more
I'm a sucker for a haunted-house book, always optimistic that I'll be in for something as good as The Shining or The Haunting of Hill House. I'm a damn fool, because most books don't come close. This one has me ready to give up on the genre; it was that bad.

Matheson seems to have lifted most of his stuff straight from Shirley Jackson's novel: a parapsychologist and two sensitives agree to stay in a notorious haunted house in an effort to prove or disprove survival after death. Alas, he lacks Jac
Mike (the Paladin)
I couldn't actually find the edition I read back in '73 or so. I read it after I saw the movie Legend of Hell House...

I've read other Matheson novels since this book, and have found that I will probably never be a fan. I finish the books and, in the end, find that while they haven't been awful, I just don't care for them overall. But, still, I do occasionally pick another one up...I suppose that means something.

Hell House is the story of a house that due (apparently) to the evil and perverse act
Kelly Hager
I don't like Richard Matheson very much. I Am Legend was entertaining enough and quite scary in parts, but Hell House was just weird. And based mostly on this and partly on I Am Legend, I'm going to guess that he had some sexual hangups. (Or maybe not.)

Hell House is about a group of people (scientist-type guy and his wife, medium and psychic who survived in the house the last time people went in) who are investigating the "Everest of haunted houses."

So what's the deal with this house? Apparently
Za Metisonov opus sam zainteresovan od romana "Ja sam legenda". Ono što je zajedničko za svaki njegov roman koji sam pročitao jeste to da me nikada nije razočarao. Ima tu ponekad nešto što može da se predvidi, ali generalno gledano, kraj ostaje nekako uvek u magli jer Metison može veoma lako da preokrene sve i iznenadi čitaoce.
Tako je i sa ovom knjigom. "Paklena kuća" je nalik na sve one priče, filmove, serije,... o ukletim kućama, ali ona je definitivno originalna na svoj način. I četiri glavna
DeAnna Knippling
I thought this was going to be a reread, but nope! I'd read something else in the vague past and thought it was Hell House. But it wasn't. I would have remembered this.

I listened to the audio version; the narrator does an excellent job. Two thumbs up.

As with other Matheson works, the pace is slow, almost hypnotically slow. You long for him to get to some kind of action, to stop fussing around and *do* something. Yet you can't put the book down. Then, as the plot progresses, you find that you've
When physicist Dr. Lionel Barrett is offered $100,000 by an ailing but wealthy eccentric hoping he will prove the existence of the afterlife by staying in an old abandoned mansion with an evil past, the offer is just too much to resist. Dr. Barrett is a non-believer, but agrees to travel to Maine with the two appointed mediums, Florence and Ben (and wife Edith) with the intention of proving the exact opposite with his new invention, the Reversor.

Arrival at "HELL HOUSE" begins with the appearance

This is a classic. Matheson has managed to create the perfect haunted house story, IMO. He has it all; eccentric rich men, mediums, the loyal wife, the dedicated scientist & the creepiest house in the most horrifying setting imaginable. There's some sex, plenty of violence & wonderfully described seances.

Best of all, there is a pervasive logic behind the entire story & several layers of horror. It's not just horror of outside forces, but also of inner demons. Each character is well f
I had remembered this book from the 70s , only recently, when someone told me they thought the cover art was great,and I was like...damn...I never got around to reading that one,and I wanted to buy a new horror novel to read this month leading up to I ordered it, it came,and I conquered. It read quick, because I was really hooked on's pretty gory,and disturbing...fucking loved

Read it, horror fan bitches! You won't be disappointed! Enjoy the ride!

La sombra de Richard Matheson es alargada. Y es que Matheson es uno de los autores que más han influenciado en otros escritores, sobre todo en cuanto al género de terror se refiere. Autores como Stepthen King o Dean Koontz, como ellos no dudan en admitir, le deben mucho a la obra de Matheson.

El escenario: la Casa Belasco, según todos los expertos en parapsicología, la casa más encantada del mundo. El propietario, el millonario señor Deutsch, se propone conocer la verdad sobre la existencia de la
Mitch Clem
A wealthy, dying man hires three people with varying degrees of supernatural expertise (a woman who can talk to the dead, a man who can physically interact with the dead, and a scientist who writes off everything supernatural he encounters with impossible, made-up science) to spend a week at a haunted house and find him conclusive, scientific evidence of whether or not life continues after death.

Overall the story is completely formulaic, at least by today's standards. Dinnerware flying around, g
Like The Haunting of Hill House before it, Hell House tells the story of four people coming together to study a notorious, vacant, and reportedly haunted house.

Unlike its predecessor, Hell House has bite. Where Shirley Jackson tells her story with beautiful, smooth flowing prose, Richard Matheson finds a way to get under the reader's skin. I thought of this as an NC-17 version of Hill House, where the things only hinted at in the older novel come about completely in your face.

The characters, als
⊱ Irena ⊰
I haven't got a clue how to rate this book. There are too many things I found either funny or plain bad. I even waited for a day or so to think about it. On the one hand, I like haunted house theme (half a star for the theme). On the other, there are tons of things which I really didn't like. First, it isn't scary. At all. Sure, there are a few moments that should have been scary, but for me they were plain flat - as if I was watching from above.
Second, I didn't like the characters or how th
It probably did not help my assessment of this novel having read both The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and I am Legend by Matheson in this year. Hell House is an inferior book to both of the previously mentioned classics. Yet it does have plenty of scares and terror. Matheson knows how to write tense moments and if the ending seems a little forced, it is a thrilling ride getting there. As far as haunted house tales goes, it still sits easily in the top ten.
I am sitting here in awe at how stupid, boring and ridiculous this book was. I looked forward to reading this so much. I love horror novels about haunted houses and Stephen King had said this is "the scariest haunted house novel ever written." WHAT?!
Scary???? No.
Scariest??? Ahahahahaahahahahahahabahahabababababahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I am actually kind of pissed off. I feel like I wasted hours of my life that I'll never get back.
The beginning was really mysterious and creepy. A really
Supernatural Frea...: Ramble As You Read: Hell House 5 3 Jul 01, 2015 11:03AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Hell House by Richard Matheson 1 10 Jun 24, 2015 01:41PM
richard matheson 6 61 Nov 05, 2014 06:36AM
Helll House 21 183 Aug 04, 2014 05:18PM
Classic Trash: Hell House: Finished (Spoilers) 8 38 Jul 01, 2013 12:30PM
Classic Trash: Hell House: In Progress (No Spoilers) 4 8 Jun 24, 2013 04:26PM
Classic Trash: Book vs. Movie (The Legend of Hell House) 2 20 Jun 23, 2013 11:29AM
  • The Cipher
  • The Jigsaw Man
  • Conjure Wife
  • Audrey's Door
  • The Other
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • Burnt Offerings
  • The Ritual
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • The Haunted
  • Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
  • Cold Hand in Mine: Strange Stories
Born in Allendale, New Jersey to Norwegian immigrant parents, Matheson was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School in 1943. He then entered the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier. In 1949 he earned his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and moved to California in 1951. He married in 1952 and has four children, three of w ...more
More about Richard Matheson...

“If you only knew the beauty which awaits you, Daniel. If you only knew how lovely are the realms which lie beyond this house. Would you keep yourself locked in a barren cell when all the beauties of the universe await you on the outside?” 2 likes