Start by marking “Scary Stuff (Jane Wheel, #6)” as Want to Read:
Scary Stuff (Jane Wheel, #6)

Scary Stuff (Jane Wheel #6)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Antique picker Jane Wheel has always loved old stuff, from vintage salt and pepper shakers to other families’ old photos and orphaned Bakelite buttons, and she can’t really explain why. But she makes a living out of it, searching high and low at estate sales and antique shops and reselling her finds to other collectors. At least, it’s half a living---she makes the other ha ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scary Stuff

Loraine
Very good cozy mystery with lots of twists and turns. Jane Wheel the main character is a "picker" - a person who looks for antiques/collectibles for other people and also a part time PI in partnership with a retired police detective. She starts out trying to help find the man who is selling fake collectibles and just happens to be a look alike for her brother and also help a friend who is clearing out her hoarder mom's house. The two cases start out separately but end up merging into one with lo ...more
Sue
Mar 13, 2010 Sue added it
While visiting her brother Michael in California, Jane Wheel learns that he has been mistaken for an internet swindler. Concerned for his safety, because some of those swindled customers have been so angry that they have almost hit him, Jane decides to investigate, leading her to her hometown of Kankakee, Illinois. While staying with her parents, Jane also begins to help one of their old friends, Swanette, prepare for an estate sale. When Swanette is attacked, Jane tries to find the reason why. ...more
JoAnne
Tig
Jun 29, 2010 Tig rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
The main character, Jane, annoys me tremendously. She collects things, she is a Picker, and she is a PI (kind of). She is surrounded by clutter, rooms full of clutter, a garage full of clutter, all of which she calls collectibles. I call it crap. She has a husband whom she pretty much ignores and who ignores her. She has a son who seems to be a small blip in her daily life. She has a best friend who also collects clutter, only his clutter is more upscale. Her parents own a bar in the country. He ...more
Abbey
#6 Jane Wheel, antiques picker and unlicensed PI, Kankakee Illinois; not too sweet cosy/amateur detective. Family secrets, town history, collectibles, and a batty old lady or three, make Jane's Halloween somewhat energetic; funny, well-paced, without becoming silly.

Something is not quite right with her baby brother Michael, now thirtyish and with a nice young family of his own in California. While visiting them briefly she spots some fishy looking collectibles that he is selling online, and can
Alissa
It's been awhile since we've heard from Jane Wheel, and I missed her. This was a quick little mystery, taking Jane back to Kankakee. I liked how the book picked up right where we'd left Jane, as well as how it featured more of her family - it was interesting to get to know her brother. I'm wondering what will happen to Jane in future books and hope I don't have to wait as long between installments.
The one thing I didn't like was how a few chapters switched into Oh's perspective. I think it's be
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This latest Jane Wheel mystery, was in my opinion, the best to date. It was about Scary stuff, and do you know what? It was scary. Creepy fits too.

The mystery was further enhanced by development of Jane's Mother's character. I loved getting to know her better. We also get to know Jane's brother.

I enjoy the antiques, although I worry about Jane becoming a hoarder in latter life...read the book for your own opinion on this matter.

It was a super mystery and I was so happy to find it.
Terry
This is the 6th in the Jane Wheel series. Jane's a "picker," one of those folks who specializes in flea markets and collectibles--but she's also a private eye in training. So it's cozy--but not cute--Fiffer makes observations about families and lifestyles, all woven into these very easy-to-pick-up mysteries. I've found these titles consistently comforting in times of stress, and thus recommend them to those working with bed-ridden or hospital-bound folks. Very Midwest.
Sue Wargo
I discovered this series a couple years back on a random stroll through library shelves. I had never heard the term 'pickers' and found that it's almost like a yard sale fanatic but a professional. Now with the tv show called "American pickers" the idea is mainstream. So treat yourself to this engaging series and learn about 'pickers' as a profession and the character of Jane Wheel and her cast of characters who will teach you about how to look for treasures.
Susan
Jane Wheel's interest is piqued when she learns that her brother has a virtual double, who is selling fraudulent merchandise on the internet. The trail leads her to a small village near Kankakee, her home town. Jane, a collector, picker and part-time private eye, calls in her forces, including best friend and antique seller Tim, her boss Bruce Oh, and her redoubtable mother Nellie. Little does Jane expect to learn some long-held secrets about her own family.
Bayneeta
I think I was fed up with the series after her last one, Hollywood Stuff , but she's back on track and back in the Kankakee area with her parents Nellie and Don and her life-long friend Tim. This is number six in the series about Jane Wheel who attends flea markets and estate sales as a "picker" for antique store owners. This one involves the sale of stolen and/or fake items on internet auction sites.
Sandy
These books always surprise me in that they are less shallow and frivolous than I think they are going to be. The characters are interesting. It seems that much of the action is a result of leaps of conjecture, being in the wrong place, trusting too easily, or rushing into a situation. One must pretty much suspend some belief in reality, but the "stuff" books are enjoyable and I always learn something.
I love Jane Wheel. She has an interesting "regular" job that lends itself to a variety of crimes to solve on the side. It's especially good that this adventure didn't revolve around her stumbling over a dead body. So many amateur detective series have unrealistic body counts for their small-town settings. (I'm talking to you Hannah Swensen in rural Minnesota)
Maryellen
It's Halloween and Jane finds all kinds of family skeletons while investigating several mysteries.Jane, is still, a bit of a mess.This book much better than her first book. The characters are filled out and are becoming comfortable. Plot line was good except for her mother getting in the way seemed unnecessary. Easy and enjoyable read on a cold October Sunday.
Marci
Jane & her wonderful cast of characters returns, minus her son & husband who are on a dig in south america. He get to meet her younger brother & learn more family secrets from Nellie's side of the family. Start from the beginning with Killer Stuff and you won't be disappointed in the cast of characters or what they'll do to get a vintage piece.
Karen
Love the Jane Wheel series. I think this is number 5 in the series. She loves the same things I do, estate sales, garage sales, basement sales, yard sales. Except she knows what she is looking at, but often gets sidetracked by buttons, monogrammed dog dishes, and rulers with advertising on - and the occasional murder.
Becca
"Perhaps my favorite so far (6th), as characters and relationships develop further. This mystery centers around family secrets, Jane's brother Michael and his troubles, eBay auctions, Kankakee, Halloween ephemera, pumpkins, knives, Riat and Nellie, and of course, murder and mayhem."
Kim
I would like it more if I hadn't read it out of order. One of my OCD issues is that I can't stand to read books out of order. But I didn't know it when I started, and if it weren't for a book group, I would have stopped reading and gotten the first book instead.
Myersorchard
there are very few books i want to revisit, rarely any mysteries...but this is one series i wish i'd kept. i have never met a character that was so like me. i guess i'm going to have to find the rest of her books again since i gave mine away.
Michele
Sharon Fiffer just gets better and better. This is an incredible addition to her series about Jane Wheel. I really think she's one of the best current mystery writers around. The plot twists and characterizations are fantastic.
Thelma Matthew
I forgot that Jane even had a brother. I am getting a little annoyed with the Jane Wheel character. If she doesn't start getting a little less distracted, she's gong to turn into a completely unbelievable ditz!
Victoria
Great cozy mystery. I'm fascinated by antiques and collectibles and reading a mystery that includes a setting in that world is fun!
Lisa
Fun mystery with some interesting details for those who like to find hidden gold in junk shops and garage sales.
Kristen
Mystery was not engaging to me but the unknown family angle was, as were the vintage Halloween decorations.
B-
Deborah
Really love this series - the characters, the history, the picking info - very entertaining and well written.
Pam Chapman
I love the characters in this series - I also enjoy the Chicago/Suburban references and those to "picking".
Cindy
I won't be reading this series any longer. I found myself skimming through most of this book.
Heather
Maybe it's been too long betweeb Jane Wheel books, but this one did not hold my interest at all.
Ruth Kevghas
Each one gets better!
Jillybean
A good mystery series . . .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott #7)
  • The Blood Red Indian Summer
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Murder of a Wedding Belle (A Scumble River Mystery, #12)
  • Honestly Dearest, You're Dead
  • The Last Page
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Shadows on the Coast of Maine (Antique Print, #2)
  • Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Theft on Thursday
Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1) Dead Guy's Stuff (Jane Wheel, #2) The Wrong Stuff (Jane Wheel, #3) Buried Stuff (Jane Wheel, #4) Lucky Stuff (Jane Wheel #8)