Start by marking “Baltimore Noir” as Want to Read:
Baltimore Noir

Baltimore Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Mystery queenpin Lippman and cohorts dissect their city with a
vengeance.

Brand New Stories by: David Simon, Laura Lippman, Tim Cockey, Rob Hiaasen,
Robert Ward, Sujata Massey, Jack Bludis, Rafael Alvarez, Marcia Talley, Joseph
Wallace, Lisa Respers France, Charlie Stella, Sarah Weinman, Dan Fesperman, Jim
Fusilli, and Ben Neihart.

Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Baltimore Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baltimore Noir

Michael Bartolone
Enjoyable collection, though as with others in the series, uneven quality - some stories are taut and tense, and others read as though some of these writers got some good feedback in a workshop, and decided they knew how to write crime fiction - overly expository narration (though that is sometimes part of the genre), clumsy dialogue, bizarre and unjustified plot twists.

Standouts were the stories by Robert Ward ("Fat Chance"), Charlie Stella ("Ode to the O's"), and Tim Cockey ("The Haunting of
Linda
Baltimore Noir, edited by Laura Lippman, contains short stories which are diabolically delicious. Black humor, grittiness and unexpected twists are mixed into the stew that is Baltimore. Each story is related to a specific neighborhood or landmark plus categorized as past, present and imagined Baltimore. The contributing authors clearly know the turf, see it clearly but still maintain an affection for the city. I found reading a story at a time, then waiting before reading the next one the best ...more
Marcie
Good set of short mystery stories centered around Baltimore and written by local authors. I think Baltimore, with its murder rate, and of course, being one of the places E.A. Poe lived, is a particularly apt setting for this kind of thing, however, there are also Brooklyn/DC/Manhattan/Dublin/San Francisco and Chicago Noir volumes. I enjoy reading stories set in places I know well, with characters typical of those likely to live there. As far as individual authors go, I started reading this a lon ...more
Megan
This collection of short stories includes offerings from some of my favorite local authors, as well as as some writers who were new to me. Each story is set in a different section of Baltimore; some include a bit of humor, some are straight up serious grit. The book is divided into three sections: the way things were, the way things are, and the way things never were. I enjoyed the twists that many of the stories took and the fact that there were so many authors included in this collection. The ...more
Deby
Loved this book - a series of short stories, all set in Baltimore. There was only one that made no sense whatsoever to me.
Betsy
Characters: Best friend's sister, billionaire
World Building: Not much.
Plot: Largely internal.
Sex: Quite hot with bondage elements.
Read another: Probably not.

I prefer Banks' KGI books, I think. I might like a higher plot to sex ratio.
Jill
I picked up Manhattan Noir and loved it. I knew most of the places mentioned and thought the stories were great. So since I am from Baltimore, I decided to pick up Baltimore Noir. I was shocked that I only knew a few of the places mentioned. Apprantly I know my way around New York better. My favorite story was by Laura Lippman. There were one or 2 other good ones, but I was disappointed in the rest. I am going to get the other books dealing with New York...
Jessica
So far, Pigtown Will Shine Tonight by Jack Bludis is the best story. It has great mystery, suspense, and plot.
Kim
Love this series. As a Baltimorean, I have now discovered the charm of the series. Reading about places I'm already familiar with provides an added level of enjoyment. I will keep reading this series, as there are well over thirty more to obtain. Plus, I'm finding new novelists to research, thus continuing to feed my reading obsession. Recommended!
Kristin Royer
I thought this collection was really disappointing. There were a couple of decent stories, but many of them were contrived. I even found myself groaning at a few passages.

I hope this isn't a reflection of the series as a whole because I also have a copy of Dublin Noir.
Sarah W
The Baltimore appeal makes up for the clunkiness of some of the stories, assuming you are inclined to find Baltimore appealing. I wouldn't suggest using this book as an authoritative guide to crime in the city. (Also, the David Simon story is straight out season 4 of The Wire.)
Holly
A real mixed bag: some stories (Sujata Massey, Tim Cockey, Laura Lippman) I loved, some I enjoyed but immediately forgot, and some I couldn't finish. But fun for the sense of Baltimore, and almost worth reading just for the W&L reference in Sujata Massey's story.
Leah
ok, so i get that the hook of the book is that someone is killed in each story, but you could make them a little more different or interesting so it's not just like "oh, let me guess, is he going to get killed?" i liked the third section the best...
Sue  Turner
Short stories extraordinaire. There's something for everyone. This Noir Series by Akashic Books has nearly two dozen cities: Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Boston, and... I checked it out from the CIN local library yesterday, finished it today.
Aleah
Some stories were really good, others were not as interesting, but overall i thought it was ok.
Kathleen
I really enjoyed the variety of the writing in this collection. It's always fun reading about the city you know, and these dark, sometimes humorous stories really gave a different view of those areas.
Mary
I guess I'm not a huge fan of "noir", at least in short story form. Most of these stories seemed contrived and weren't very interesting. I didn't get the frog story at all.
Kate
I am not sure we're gonna make it, this book and I. I like my noir at a little more of a remove than from the perspective of the people actually doing the pointless violence ...
Readonkulous
Jul 06, 2011 Readonkulous is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The more time I spend in Baltimore, the less I feel like I understand it. This book helps make sense of the Charm City and it's sordid past.
Travis
Just seeing how many books of short stories or poems you can have going at the same time.

Nice collection of noir stories and authors so far.
A.
A couple spectacular stories (notably Lippman's own) and a lot that were forgettable or too bizarre to be enjoyable.
Beth
There should have been much more of Laura Lippman but this book is another one that you just can't put down.
Summer
Short murder/mystery stories set in Baltimore by some of our best writers! I just love it!
James Johnson
good so far. no lame stories, like anthologies often have.
Ycme
The stories had good premise, but fell short in execution.
Thomas Roth
A most interesting concept. Loved every story.
Stacey Marriott
Didn't finish. Not my cup o' tea, I guess.
Mary Ellen
Some of the stories were better than others.
Chris Doyle
Chris Doyle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Ruth McRoberts
Ruth McRoberts marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Istanbul Noir
  • Twin Cities Noir
  • Seattle Noir
  • Portland Noir
  • Delhi Noir (Akashic Noir)
  • Detroit Noir
  • Pittsburgh Noir
  • Mexico City Noir
Laura Lippman was a reporter for twenty years, including twelve years at The (Baltimore) Sun. She began writing novels while working fulltime and published seven books about “accidental PI” Tess Monaghan before leaving daily journalism in 2001. Her work has been awarded the Edgar ®, the Anthony, the Agatha, the Shamus, the Nero Wolfe, Gumshoe and Barry awards. She also has been nominated for othe ...more
More about Laura Lippman...
I'd Know You Anywhere What the Dead Know And When She Was Good After I'm Gone Every Secret Thing