She Did a Bad, Bad Thing (Million Dollar Secrets #1) (Harlequin Blaze #338)

She Did a Bad, Bad Thing (Million Dollar Secrets #1) (Million Dollar Secrets #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Just once, mild-mannered Jane Kurtz wished she had the nerve to go for what she wants. And she really wants her neighbor, bad boy Perry Brewer. But he’s totally out of her league....until she wins the lottery and decides, once and for all, to change her life. So she heads out to Vegas for the ultimate bad-girl makeover! Poor sexy Perry won’t know what hit him....

The woman’...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Harlequin (first published June 1st 2007)

Karla
3 1/2 Stars Much better than I expected. Cute story about a "plain jane", named Jane…how cliché…and her jerky neighbor Perry…who turns out to be a pretty decent guy. It was fun, very steamy and the story evolved nicely.

The plot was a little over the top, but still in all, very well narrated, reasonably priced and a enjoyable way to spend a few hours!
Emily
Fate must be telling her something, Jane Kurtz aka Plain Jane, is feeling unsettled in her life. With a gorgeous new neighbor, who she overhears making a not so flattering comment about her, and winning the lottery she is ready for a change. Heading for Las Vegas for a makeover and a weekend full of sin, is just what she needs to unleash the wild child within her.

Ladies man Perry Brewer regrets the comment he made about Jane when he met her, wanting to make it up to her he finds himself becoming...more
Shae
Normally I love books from the Harlequin Blaze line, they are funny, sexy, and worth the time to read. Unfortunately, this book did not have any of those traits. From the very beginning, I did not like Perry. Obviously, getting over the first impression of him should have been a major plot point, but it wasn't. At every turn the guy was making himself look like slime. First he is getting it on with some random woman, then says really awful things about the heroine, causes her car to have damage...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Hi. My name is Jane and I'm a makeup artist who never knew that makeup could make a person look better.

Hello, Perry is my name. Sexin' women is my game. I've being going through a seemingly endless supply of interchangeable women. But when my geeky repressed neighbor knocks on my door to ask me to have sex a little quieter, I think I might have to get me some of that.

Hi, Jane again. I won the lottery! Maybe I'll go to Vegas and have sex with random men.

Did I just hear my neighbor say she's going...more
Bookwormliz
Jane Kurtz is a homely little geek who works as a makeup artist for her best friend Eve¿s daytime talk show. Perry Brewer is a beer-drinking, Kayla-screwing, collector-ducking attorney who's recently moved in next door. When Perry's sexcapades interrupt Jane's favorite nighttime soap, she pays him a visit to give him a piece of her mind. He retaliates by calling her names even a fourth-grader would scoff at, but for some reason Jane spends the next fifty pages crying and being woe. Then she wins...more
Kay
This book reminded me why I adore Stephanie Bond's writing. There's a gorgeous hero who has a heart, a shy heroine who has dreams and fantasies but is afraid to go for it, and a fun plot that keeps you turning the pages.

This book is the launch for a six book Blaze mini-series, Million Dollar Secrets, about friends and coworkers who pool their funds and pick numbers for the Lotto and their adventures begin when the group wins big. In this book, Jane surprisingly does wonders for other people as a...more
Mary
Jane Kurtz is a mousy geek girl who dreams of being someone else. She works as a makeup artist for her friend Eve talk show.

She gets a new neighbor a hunky sexy man named Perry. She arrives home to find her neighbor's girlfriend had park in her spot so she has to park in a guest spot. She confronts him and he shrugs it off. Then Jane goes and gets her dinner ready and to watch TV when next door music blaring and they are having sex and she can hear everything. The walls are paper thin. She goes...more
Netanella
First paragraph: “Listen…I’m sorry—what was your name again?”
Jane Kurtz turned off the handheld airbrush machine that was depositing a perfect layer of makeup over the zits of celebutante Casey Campella, today’s guest on Just Between Us. “It’s Jane.”

"She Did A Bad, Bad Thing" is the first in a Harlequin Blaze series, "Million Dollar Secrets", about a group of friends working at an Atlanta TV station who win the lotto in the office pool.

"Plain Jane" is the set's make up artist, lonely and averag...more
Sara
Oct 24, 2011 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book, own
One of the free books from Harlequin's 60th anniversary celebration.
Like most of Stephanie Bond's books, this book was lacking a litte something.
This is a strange, short tale about a homely woman who wins the lottery and decideds to shake things up by taking a trip to Vegas. There, she hooks up with her neighbor and goes on a shopping spree that doesn't seem like such a great idea considering she hasn't recieved any money yet.
I personally just did not like the ending. it was a bit too abrupt...more
Nicola
A slightly unbelievable ugly duckling story. Plain Jane does nothing to play up her looks and as a result no one recognizes that she is attractive? A makeup artist with a flair for fashion who doesn't do anything but put her hair in a ponytail is a little hard to swallow. I would believe she doesn't go all out with her own appearance, but someone with such a fabulous sense of style would do more without even thinking. Someone as timid as Jane is supposed to be would not go nocking on doors upon...more
Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
This is a solid 3.5 star read for me. It was simple....plain girl hears jerk hero say mean things about her, wins lotto, has a make over, jerk realizes she's the woman of his dreams after making pact for their torrid affair to be nothing more than that...an affair.

To be fair to the jerk of a hero feels bad about the things he's said pretty much straight away and does try in a minimalist kinda way to make it up to Jane but there was something still utterly jerky about his determination to seduce...more
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Rating: 4
Heat Rating: 3.5

Preliminary review:
This is the first Harlequin Blaze book that I've ever read and I have to admit that it was hotter than I thought it would be. Though the storyline wasn't truly unique I still found it thoroughly enjoyable. I truly felt for Jane. I could totally understand her utter lack of self-confidence. When I read the different things that had or had not happened to her within her sexual experience, I was totally shocked. To be so late into her 20's yet to have ne...more
Rachael
Sexy, Easy read! Loved it!
ms bookjunkie
I liked the story fine for what it was (except that it felt short, without enough time for me to connect with the h/h), but to my taste, the relationship felt light, superficial, undeveloped. (I believe this has more to do with the fact that Blazes are not my chosen category than the author and her story.)

(Also, I'm somewhat bothered by the ridiculous, off-putting title. OTOH, it's nice to see that it's not only HPs that suffer from bad titles.)
Shwetika
First off this is NOT my type of book , I read it as challenge and In all honesty I only have my self to blame. For the first time I was only happy when I was done, I could get it out of the way fast enough and read my type of books. But then I guess it was a good way to test my limited :P
Joy
Dorky makeup artist wins lottery and goes to Vegas for a makeover and some wild livin'. Her manslut neighbor decides to follow her to "protect" her, but ends up sexin' her up instead. Nothing much else to see here; a quick read without much depth if you're in the mood for an erotic romance.
Gladys Turner
What would a plain girl who's been following the rules her whole life do after she won the lottery?
Go to Vegas and reinvent herself ,that's what.

But when her neighbor with a bad case of guilty conscience follows her ,there might be reason enough to light up the sheets
PNR
This one was alright. I liked the premise and how it started out, with the hero insulting the heroine and her being insecure about her appearance, but would up just striking me as off. I think I'm just not one for the Harlequinn shorts. (2.5 stars)
RedBecca
After reading some pretty negative reviews here my expectations were pretty low but I actually thought this story was cute. However, I'm assuming it's part of a series because it was left sort of open-ended.
Roberta
I love Stephanie Bond!! I know most people turn up their noses at hrlequin romances, but there are many jewels to be found such as this yummy, cute story.
Ginerva612
I read this book I think in about a day and a half! Stephanie Bond is a great writer! Her books are always tasteful with a lot of good smut thrown in!
Cynthia
I quite like the short story. It shows how women can come out of themselves in different situations. Good for her!
Charia
A short but fun read/listen. I would ave given it 3.5 if half stars were available.
Campbell
The ending seemed a little rushed but everything else about the story was good.
Juliana
First Stephanie Bond book I wish I had skipped. Still love the cover :)
Fairyposs
Reworked ugly duckling theme. Quick, easy read. Rather abrupt end.
Christine Strowbridge
Cute but super cheesy, or is it super cheesy but cute?
Ladiibbug
Sexy, frothy fun - see cover *g*!

Read a year ago.
Ebonique
Cute story, rush & unrealistic but cute!!
  • Pick Me Up (Harlequin Blaze, #343)
  • Private Confessions (Harlequin Blaze #308)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Burning Up (Harlequin Blaze, #380)
  • At Your Command
  • The Specialist
  • Risque Business (Harlequin Blaze #418)
  • Hard and Fast
  • Dead Sexy (Harlequin Blaze #358)
  • Bare Necessities (Harlequin Blaze, #371)
  • Shadow Hawk (Harlequin Blaze, #329)
  • Sex, Straight Up (Those Sexy O'Sullivans, #2) (Harlequin Blaze, #388)
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze, #424)
  • The Concubine
  • Coming Undone (Seal, #1)
  • Highland Fling (Harlequin Blaze, #262)
Stephanie Bond was seven years deep into a systems engineering career and pursuing an MBA at night when an instructor remarked that she had a flair for writing and suggested that she submit to academic journals. But Stephanie, a voracious reader, was only interested in writing fiction–more specifically, romantic fiction.

Upon completing her master’s degree and with no formal training in writing (he...more
More about Stephanie Bond...
Body Movers (Body Movers, #1) 2 Bodies for the Price of 1 (Body Movers, #2) 3 Men and a Body (Body Movers, #3) 5 Bodies to Die For (Body Movers, #5) 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)