Start by marking “Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,166 ratings  ·  369 reviews

For more than twenty years, the Hermés Birkin bag has been the iconic symbol of fashion, luxury, and wealth. With a fabled waiting list of more than two years to purchase one, the average fashionista has a better chance of climbing Mount Everest in Prada pumps than of possessing this coveted carryall. Unless, of course, she happens to know Michael Tonello. . . .

With down

Published July 21st 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published April 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bringing Home the Birkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing Home the Birkin

Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

So are you familiar already with what's known as the Birkin bag? It's the product of Hermés, one of those European "designer boutiques" that exists for no other reason than to severely overcharge rich people with self-esteem issues; you know, one of those places that sells hundred-dollar handkerchiefs...more
Michael
Apr 07, 2008 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
PUBLISHERS WEEKLY

Starred Review
In a funny, whip-smart memoir sure to be a sensation among Vogue and W devotees, erstwhile hair and makeup artist Tonello (now a columnist for HuffingtonPost.com) chronicles a surprising (even to him!) trans-Atlantic move from Provincetown, R.I. to a city he’d fallen in love with on a short trip: Barcelona, where he knows no one and doesn’t speak the language. Tonello’s initial euphoria dissolves when his new job fails to materialize. To stay afloat, Tonello starts...more
Lena
Michael Tonello never planned to start a business selling Hermès on eBay; he stumbled into it when he began offloading his own designer duds to raise cash after he found himself jobless in Barcelona. This memoir about how his personal closet-cleaning lead to a lucrative career procuring and reselling Hermès' elusive Birkin bag is a highly entertaining, funny, and unexpectedly exciting read.

Though the book got off to something of a slow start for me, by the time he got to writing about sticker s...more
Felicity
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I assumed it would be poorly written and mildly entertaining (if at all). Instead, it was surprisingly well-written and generally very funny. I read it in five hours on a quiet Saturday afternoon (it's definitely a quick read). Michael Tonello details his adventures as a "re-seller" of Hermes products, namely crocodile Birkin bags (around US$30,000 a piece for those not in the know). The whole story is a little surreal--clearly you need money to make mone...more
Paula
Jul 17, 2008 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travellers, fashionistas and people who want a funny, light read
Recommended to Paula by: new title buying
Shelves: 2008-reads
I have an ARC of this and so far (27 chapters in) it's made me giggle at least once per chapter. Some chapters it's been so hilarious I can't help sharing it.

It's light, funny, and the story draws you along. The characterisations are fantastic - it's easy to view people and scenes in your mind's eye (important to me!). Michael Tonello doesn't take himself too seriously and better still, knew when to give it all up.

It's going on the shelf as a re-read. A keeper - for at least a while, and I'm off...more
Yvonne
I like to dip my toe into shallower literary waters from time to time, so dipping into this frothy literary confection was a treat. I'm a sucker for anyone stumbling into entrepreneurial success, and what's flukier than bringing home a self-employed salary of high-six figures just for finding and marking up overpriced, hard-to-find handbags? I personally think anyone who'd pay $30,000 for a handbag has far too much time and money on their hands. I wouldn't pay that much for a bag made out of the...more
Lisa
Feb 01, 2012 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Mary Reed
This book is a perfect example of how you can live vicariously through someone else by reading their stories. Michael Tonello stumbled onto a career that allowed him to live the high life in Europe while also working from home in his PJs - all in pursuit of this bag called the Birkin. I'd heard of it before, but didn't fully realize the whole Hermes culture. The bags go for thousands of dollars and wait lists are over two years. Can you imagine?!

Tonello, however, came up with a "formula" to byp...more
Kim
The biggest surprise in this book is not that some people have too much money and spend it on stupid crap like insanely overpriced purses - it's how enthralling the author's story was! I really didn't think I'd enjoy this as much as I ultimately did. The author can be a little irritating from time to time - for example, he keeps trying to point out how much he's not like "them" (his customers), but catalogues each and every luxury meal and makes sure we know he ordered the right wine etc. - but...more
Erik
May 02, 2008 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fashionistas, arm chair travelers and anyone looking for a fun book to read
Shelves: nonfiction-shelf
If the sight of orange Hermes boxes makes your heart go pitter-patter, this will be a page turner. Even if you're not familiar with the Parisian luxury goods maker, it's still a fun (and funny!) sneak peak into that world. The author, Michael Tonnello, is openly gay and writes with an acerbic, gay man's humor that is quite enjoyable without being overly campy.

I'd also recommend it if you're interested in traveling to Europe just because it gives an American's insight into being dumped into land...more
Mar 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone loving the fashion chicl-lit genre.
Loved this book. Honestly, when I first picked it up I had no idea 1. it was written by a man and 2. it was considered non-fiction! Both of these revelations made me enjoy this book even more. Reads like a chick-lit Bergdorf Blonde behind the scenes delicious tell all! Who knew? So sorry Hermès, you lose.
Sri
Aku mengenal Hermes pertama kali lewat film Le Divorce. Di film itu, tokoh yang diperankan oleh Kate Hudson diberi hadiah, oleh pacarnya yang om-om, sebuah croc Kelly bag warna merah. Dan di akhir film, tas super mahal itu dilempar begitu saja dari menara Eiffel ke bawah. Mungkin akan lebih dramatis kalau tas itu adalah Hermes Birkin bag, yang croc juga. Harganya bisa jauh lebih mahal :D.
Buku ini menceritakan petualangan penulis berburu Birkin bag. Dengan cara coba-coba penulis akhirnya menemuka...more
Clackamas
Dec 30, 2012 Clackamas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girly-girls and people who like humorous memoirs
Recommended to Clackamas by: Goodreads
**Reread Dec, 2012. This review still stands but I'm upgrading my rating to 4 stars because it still makes me giggle. I don't know why I was so hard on it the first time.**

This was a cute story (I'm sure the author will cringe at my use of the word "cute", but that's how I felt about it). I'm not one for chick-lit and would not have thought to read this if it hadn't been given to me, but I'm glad I did.

This story was quite anecdotal in parts. It didn't feel forced at all or take itself too seri...more
Carrie Golden
Oct 16, 2008 Carrie Golden rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like fashion
Recommended to Carrie by: My friend Cyndi
This was a lighthearted read, quick read. Nothing too deep here. The author recounts his high-flying days as a reseller of Hermes accessories, especially the ridiculously expensive and hard to get Birkin handbag.

This is coming from someone with a strong handbag fetish...I cannot believe people pay such ridiculous amounts of money for a status handbag. Thousands of dollars! You could buy a car instead...and a NICE one. But apparently some rich ladies (and men) collect them like some the rest of...more
Julia
Jun 29, 2008 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia by: Barnes and Noble
Michael Tonello made a life changing decision and moves to Barcelona, Spain, with the promise of a job from a friend. The job falls through and he's ensconced in a five-year apartment lease. Enter Ebay. Tonello begins auctioning off some gently worn cashmere (not as much call for that in Spain) and discovers a Hermes scarf, only worn once. The active bidding and subsequent contacts he makes through emails begins a wild journey through Hermes stores across Europe, as he makes a living procuring a...more
Chana
Jul 19, 2009 Chana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chana by: book crossing
This was a much better book than I expected, I really liked it. Michael is funny and makes business success seem like that much common sense and keeping up with your email. He obviously has great personal charm and energy. The whole Hermes/Birkin scene is outrageous. I can hardly believe that a bag could possibly cost so much. But I love the way Michael works his magic, buying and selling, making mind-boggling amounts of money. And he can write as well. I actually found myself all teary when Jua...more
Autumn
I was looking for something light to read in the Providence airport, and as soon as I realized this story had an eBay tie I felt a kinship with this book. The fact that I read it in a day and a half speaks well of the story, but while I respected the author's decision to be himself and tell his story (meaning his whole life, not just the Birkin bag quest), I wasn't that fond of his personal style, his affectations or his tendency toward quips. It's still very good plane reading, though, and the...more
Donna Lehtonen
Apr 28, 2008 Donna Lehtonen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a fun and light hearted book to escape into.
I loved this book! I could not put it down,and stayed up way past my bedtime to finish it.

I love the authors writing style and storytelling talent. This book is fun and funny, interesting and international.

This is a book that only comes around once in a lifetime!

Michael Tonello went where no man had dared to go. He was the first and the last maverick
in the history of Hermes;to round up such a herd of hides.

Oh, and the cover of the book is too wonderful to hide on a shelf!
Julie
As a self admitted handbag addict I saw this book on Jen Lancaster's blog of summer reads and instantly added it to my ever expanding list of "to reads".

A great quick read filled with humor and enviable (and sometimes not so enviable) tales of great handbag pursuit.

The Birkin will still remain elusive and mythological to me but it was a great read to hear Michael's adventures. I couldn't imagine having all that Hermes merchandise passing through my hands!

Quick, fun and fabulous!
I read this book on the recommendation of an author I really enjoy. It was a read I did not expect and was a venture into territory I had never entered before (nor will I enter it again) but it was interesting and I learned more about the lives of the rich and the ridiculous things people will do to get an item they covet. I enjoyed the life lesson the author learned by the end of the book, which for me, made the book well worth reading.
Hope
Jun 13, 2008 Hope rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who shops (whether they like to or not!)
Read the whole thing in one sitting- really couldn't put it down. A very amusing story, and I laughed and cheered the author on his quests. The descriptions of the cities he stayed in and his travels were a wonderful counterpoint to the business driven plot. This was so great to read, with a surprising amount of heart. It wasn't just about a brand-name; far from it. Highly entertaining, made more so by the fact that the events actually happened.
Jessica
This book was a really fun and quick read! Totally entertaining. However, I now have a potentially very expensive problem. I WANT a Birkin bag. And thanks to this book, I now know how to easily get one...from the author's best customer, Sarah. God help me, I cannot spend that kind of money on a purse, unless I win the lottery. If that every happens, I'll take two! :o)
Cheryl
Jul 22, 2008 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: The New York Times
Hilarious! This book made me laugh out loud (something I rarely do while reading)! The stories that Mr. Tonello has about his career as a Hermes reseller on ebay are an absolute riot! It actually makes me want to try out "the formula" myself!

I enjoyed this book immensely - it was very well written and I really couldn't put it down.
Sandra
Read this while travelling to Florida during prime summer travel season. Chapters were nice and short so I could easily pick it up or put it down. I have been intrigued by the Hermes Birkin bag ever since my friend Maggie plunked down $18,000 to purchase TWO of them. The story was very entertaining. Great travelling book!
Denise Mcdonald
A peak into the lux world of the "It" handbag. One man's 5 year experience of buying, selling, traveling and dining in the top fashion destinations in the world. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Favorite quote, "Friendships are best if they aren't built solely on convenience."
Mary Louise
Oh, dear. I didn't want to finish this one because it's so much fun to read and the narrator is so likeable. You'll want to buy several copies to give your friends and relatives as gifts. It's a perfect summer read, take it to the beach or on vacation.
Erika McClain
This book is a style guide travel book business manual memoir of an accidental businessman. I loved every page of it. And the book itself is adorable. The hardcover looks like a Birkin bag and the inside is dotted wit great illustrations.
Kacie
A perfect romp of meringue and luxury. Better stories and guidance than any travel book I've come across. Full of great humor and real life stories - albeit fantastical and improbable for us mere mortals to believe might ever happen to us.
Betsy
Michael Tonello is a hoot. Reading his memoir gave me:

1. much-needed amusement
2. vivid descriptions of luxurious travel, fashion, and meals (yum!)
3. a look inside the brain of an entrepreneur

Recommended!
Melissa Fulkerson
Great, fun summer read. Goes by fast, but I enjoyed every moment. Loved to live vicariously through Tonello and his multi-million dollar Hermes adventures!
Joy
Jul 31, 2009 Joy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I saw this at the bookstore where I was trying to escape the heat. I think I'm the target audience since I like Sex & the City and memoirs.
Free Book Giveaway: Free Book Giveaway 1 10 Aug 24, 2012 10:28PM
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
  • Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown: Notes from a Single Girl's Closet
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Hedge Fund Wives
  • It's All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • Fashion Babylon
  • The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957
  • The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
I grew up in Massachusetts. I traveled the world as a makeup artist and hairdresser until a chance job assignment in Spain proved fateful, and I resettled in Barcelona. Pressed to find a profession that did not necessitate working papers, I became a lucrative eBay luxury reseller of all things Hermes. I am a columnist for HuffingtonPost.com and live in Barcelona with my partner, Juan, and our two...more
More about Michael Tonello...
Bringing Home the Birkin Bringing Home the Birkin Como Entrei na Lista Negra da Hermès