Start by marking “The Mare's Tale (Pet Vet, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mare's Tale (Pet Vet, #2)

The Mare's Tale (Pet Vet #2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Trump the dog lives with her owner Dr. Jeanie behind the Pet Vet clinic. It is Trump's job to help the sick animals and Trump's dog senses are so acute she often draws conclusions before the humans have even begun to think! Trump tells the stories of the animal patients and their families and provides young readers with animal tips, vocabulary words, and a new understandin ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Mare's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mare's Tale

Dallas
Sep 24, 2015 Dallas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Early Elementary Children
Title: The Mare's Tale
Author: Darrel and Sally Odgers
Illustrator: Janine Dawson
Genre: Realistic Fantasy (told from the dog's point of view, but has very realistic events)
Age: Early Elementary
Is This Part of a Series?: Yes (book 2 in the Pet Vet series)

*I received a copy of this book as a prize

Summary:
Trup and his owner Dr. Jeanie are doing their rounds around the town of Cowfork, the remnants of the storm from the night before causing various hiccups. Along the way they help some sick calves, t
Heather Gunnell
May 20, 2014 Heather Gunnell rated it really liked it
Another cute story in the Pet Vet series. Trump once again helps out Dr. Jeannie, this time with a nervous mare who is about to have a foal. I love that the book provides vocab and extra info throughout for young readers.
Reetta Saine
Kivan helppo ja silti "oikean"tuntuinen sarja eläinlääkäristä ja koira-apurista. Tämäkin taisi jäädä kahteen osaan. Harmi :(.
Mindy
Feb 06, 2012 Mindy rated it liked it
This was the second book in the Pet Vet series that my daughter and I read together. Again, it was fun to learn some interesting facts about the animals in the book....did you know some dalmatians are completely or partially deaf? I never knew that! Plus, we enjoyed learning the difference between a colt, mare, stallion, and filly. It is also fun to read the story from the dog Trump's perspective! Another quick read and cute story! My daughter is already asking for the next book in the series!!
Anne Hamilton
Nov 16, 2015 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing
An early chapter book.

I really enjoyed this book told from the point of view of Trump, a Jack Russell terrier and the 'Animal Liaison Officer' at the Pet Vet. He's a fun character.

I thought the explanations of difficult words within the text was particularly well-handled and the endnotes to each chapter called 'Trump's Diagnosis' about facts within the story are a unique way of teaching valuable aspects of pet care and behaviour.
Grace
May 19, 2009 Grace rated it it was amazing
There was a rare mare that had a baby foal. She was from Italy, so for the people in Italy, she was rare, but not for people in the U.S.. She was crabby about having a foal because she was a racing horse. I learned that you have to be kind to animals or else they won't trust you.
Anu
Aug 03, 2015 Anu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eläilääkärin avustajakoira Nappi auttaa tällä kertaa varsovaa huippuravuria ja tämän vanhaa ja väsynyttä seuralaiskoiraa. Symppis. Selkeine infolaatikoineen ja eläintenhoitoohjeineen kelvannee tämäkin mainiosti eläinrakkaille eka-toka-kolmasluokkalaisille. Myös pojille.
Twyla
Jan 17, 2012 Twyla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Amy Schoneman
This was such a cute book for younger children to read. It was about a dog who travels with the vet and they help animals. Very good book to show children to be kind to animals and help them when you can because they can't help themselves.
Angela Barakat
I read this with my daughter.
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jun 15, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Gina
Gina added it
Jun 17, 2016
Nancy Lage
Nancy Lage marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Carli Anderson
Carli Anderson rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Jennifer Brand
Jennifer Brand marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Aimee Olson
Aimee Olson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Saana Pakarinen
Saana Pakarinen rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Samantha Matzen
Samantha Matzen marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Piia
Piia rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Darrel Odgers was born in Tasmania. He has been married to Sally Odgers since 1979, and they have two adult children. Darrel and Sally Odgers have co-written several books, including the popular Jack Russell: Dog Detective series.
More about Darrel Odgers...

Pet Vet (6 books)
  • Cranky Paws (Pet Vet, #1)
  • Motorbike Bob (Pet Vet, #3)
  • The Python Problem (Pet Vet, #4)
  • The Kitten's Tale (Pet Vet, #5)
  • The Pup's Tale (Pet Vet, #6)