Altered State

Altered State

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  43 reviews

Altered States Gregg Luke Homer and Morgan Winegar believe they may have finally found happiness in the quiet college town in which they have settled. Perhaps now in their new life together with Morgan's nine-year-old son, they can each leave a troubled past behind. But when Morgan's psychology students begin exhibiting bizarre behavior, the couple quickly becomes entangle

Published June 28th 2009 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Altered State, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Altered State

Kimberly
Gregg Luke's books just keep getting better. His first novel, "The Survivors" was good. His next, "Do No Harm" was even better. "Altered State" beats them all. The very first page pulls you into the story. The book has been described as "inescapably compelling, medically accurate, and disturbingly plausible." I can't think of a better way to describe it. Overall an excellent book, a definite must-read.
Spransys6
I enjoyed this book. I believe Gregg Luke is getting better at writing. I like the way he incorporates LDS views without being preachy or nauseating. His plot is reasonable, the characters are believable, and the setting is true to the site. It's a fun read. I picked it up at 4 p.m. and didn't put it down until I had finished it, around midnight. I love finding a book that I cannot put down. Keep up the great work.
Cheri
I liked this book it was a page turner, I had to find out what was going to happen. Morgan is a professor at a small town college when she notices strange things happening among the students and is asked by the dean to find out what is behind the occurances.
Madison
May 24, 2014 Madison marked it as to-read
To be honest, I picked this book because of the cover; falcon tubes with a pipette looked like something I could relate to. I am hopeful about a book that combines my love of science with my hobby of reading cheesy LDS mysteries.
Megan Alton
I enjoyed this book overall though I did feel that the main characters were introduced layer than they should have been and I ended up feeling a bit disconnected from them. It was a good book though.
Amy
An enjoyable read.
Casey
I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood to read this book at the time or what, but I found this novel really boring. It was so hard for me to finish. I'll admit that it started to pick up towards the end, but by then i was just ready to be done with it. I felt like the story line was slow paced and Luke gave too many technical terms and way too much information for me to stay focused. My brain went on overload. Cool cover though :)
Christy
Another great book from my friend Gregg. It is suspenseful and fun and his books, I'm finding, all have very unique occurances, like the methods employed in this book to alter the behavior of a small unaware test group in Logan, Utah. (That's fun, too, that is at Utah State.) Again, an LDS edge by the faith of the characters. Let me know what you think of his books! There is another one coming out in July.
Hillary
Gregg Luke has done it again! What a fantastic read. I don't hand out those 5's too often, but this was definitely deserved! He has a gift of being able to make you love characters, give you a dynamic and interesting plot, AND give you an intense suspense- no way is it predictable or ordinary! Love it! CANNOT WAIT TO INTERVIEW HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heidee
GASP! If you do not have a few hours (or in my case just 2) that you can just lay around and read the whole time, do not pick up this book. (or maybe i'm just lacking in the ability to put books down period...hmmm things to consider.) I really liked this book! I was up til 1 AM finishing it. every time i tried to put it down, something else happened! very fun, intene, suspenseful book!
Cami
I admit I'm sort of a medical nerd, so the technical stuff intrigued me. But the story line for this book was great! It drew me in right away, it kept me interested, and I was biting my nails at the end! A favorite part of the story was the unique role that the son with Asperger's played. Not something you see very often. Bottom line for me: Great book! Highly recommend!
Nancy
This was a fun read. The author definitely did his research as all technical aspects of the book seemed well thought out. The plot was enjoyable and creative. There wasn't anything amazing about this book but I would read more by this author. I was impressed that he uses this book as a tool to educate and help people who are or know somebody struggling with addictions.
Apzmarshl
Hmm....I liked that even though this book first appeared to be a lovely little LDS novel set in Logan...it turned out to be deeper. The drugs, lying, fugue.......good stuff.
Some things didn't seem to mesh and I felt like I walked into the middle of a story with the Winegars, like I should have known more about them. But this didn't detract from the story.
Leslie
This book is about a group of people illegally administering mind-altering drugs to regular soda that we drink, with the potential of making millions of dollars. It was about others trying to find out what was happening and who was behind it. It was interesting because things like this could really happen in todays world.
Tracy
I loved Homer. What a great and loveable character. This book was pretty good, and I would read more from this author.

I like books that are half fact/half fiction. A feature I enjoyed was a Q&A section at the back that separated out the facts and added some clarity. I wish all books did that.
Jackie
I really loved this book. This is the first of Gregg Luke's books that I've read and I'm impressed. (Yes, I will probably rush right over to the library and check the others by him.) The creep factor was way up there. I enjoyed the inclusion of Morgan and Homer's autistic son. Very cool.
Kami
This is the second novel by Gregg Luke that I have read. I absolutely love the way that the author incorporates his pharmaceutical knowledge into his thrillers. I was captivated with this story from the first paragraph to the end (even though it did wrap up a little too neatly).
A.L. Sowards
This was a book on tape, so I might have a different opinion if I had read it without the distraction of two toddlers in the seat behind me. I liked the book enough that I'll read more by this author. And I think I will never, ever buy an energy drink after reading this book.
Tracy Walters
The setting of this book is my old alma mater, Utah State University, in Logan, Utah. It was fun to visualize the places used in the story. The story, overall, was pretty good, but it still felt a little stale to me....not something I would really recommend to anyone.
Sheila
I love anything that Gregg Luke writes. I finished this a LONG time ago. I am not sure why it was still in my to-read list. I am finding other books I have read that are still on this list. Read all of Gregg's books!
Heather
Thoroughly enjoyable read about a company using a college campus as a testing ground for a mind-altering chemical, and one professor's race to stop the escalating events before the unthinkable occurs.
Sarah Eggleston
Great book, very scientific. I learned a lot from this book about chemicals and psychological facts. Very interesting and thought provoking. I enjoyed it, but not one of my favorites of Gregg Luke's.
Whitney
it was ok...i guess. it was kinda cheesy in parts and totally confusing (with technical science terms) in others. it wasn't much of a mystery or suspensful - and i thought it would be.
Kathleen Anderson
It took me awhile to get past drug names and into the story. The plot seemed a bit unreal, but the location is my hometown of Logan, Utah so that made for a more enjoyable read.
PrivateLibrary
Not a bad story. But it gets pretty technical if you're just looking for some light easy reading. I found myself kind of skimming a few parts just to skip all the medical jargon.
Sue
I had a hard time getting into it but I kept with it and it did get better. The story line was a little hard to believe. His other two books were so much better.
Swhe641200
OHS Book. Kinda of creepy. Scientist pick Logan to be a test for a drug to alter thinking. Autustic boy and Utah State campus. But Homer and Morgan win over evil.
Katherine
Very interesting, I really enjoyed this! It made me think and it was well-written. I enjoyed that much of it takes place on in Logan in places that I know well!
Jody
Jun 25, 2010 Jody added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Got about 60 pages in and had to stop. Something just bothered me about the story line. Not sure what, but had to stop. Will try again later.
Vicki
This was a quick read and very interesting! I really enjoyed it and had a hard part of putting it down when things got going in the end!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Gregg Luke is a practicing pharmacist. He received his medical training at the University of Utah. He has been writing since he could put pen to paper. He enjoys medical thrillers and is one of the first to work this genre into the LDS market.
More about Gregg Luke...