Start by marking “The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)

The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law #2)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
When Craig Robertson's religious fanatic father disappears, Craig is forced to return to the home he left behind after an underage affair in order to look for answers. He takes with him his new lover, private investigator Paul Maloney, who is more than willing to help solve the mystery.

The search soon becomes an investigation into Craig's past, and, because of distressing
Published June 2nd 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bones of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bones of Summer

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
97th out of 602 books — 587 voters
Zero at the Bone by Jane SevilleTigers and Devils by Sean KennedyThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonLove & Loyalty by Tere MichaelsWarrior's Cross by Madeleine Urban
Best M/M Romance Published in 2009
130th out of 196 books — 412 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenre
Aug 13, 2009 Jenre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, mystery
To be honest I'm a little nervous as to whether what I'm going to write now will actually do this book justice. It was that good. So good, in fact, that I may run out of superlatives. So good, that my mind disappeared into 'book world' and I spent every single spare moment reading. So good, that even when I had to do pesky real life things like cooking I was still thinking about the book, wondering what was going to happen next or mulling over the characters, their merits and their flaws.

At the
Rosie
Jul 21, 2009 Rosie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a great read. Told from the view point of a new character - Craig Robertson - it also features Paul Maloney the lead character in a previous book by Anne called 'Maloney's Law'

It is defintitely not necessary to have read Maloney's Law to enjoy this story though, ( this stands up completely on it's own as an independent tale ) but I'm glad that I did. Mainly because Paul felt like an old friend to me from the beginning, I felt like *I* knew him, in a way that Craig obviously couldn't as
Kassa
Nov 26, 2009 Kassa rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating story about the choices and actions one person takes, both deliberately and unconsciously and the far reaching affects those have. This is described as a “quasi-sequel” to Maloney’s Law, although The Bones of Summer can be read alone. I haven’t read the previous book and found this story easily stands on its own. However, there is clearly information and context missing that will most likely create a more complex and fulfilling story having read both books in order. Bones i ...more
Otterpuss
Sep 30, 2015 Otterpuss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm confused about how I feel about this book. On one hand I enjoyed it but on the other it annoyed me.
I read it straight after finishing Maloney's Law and was surprised (and not pleasantly) that it was told in Craig's PoV. It took me a chapter or two to get used to that.
I enjoyed the intrigue and the 'who dunnit' aspect (although it doesn't hold a candle to the mystery of the first book and it was very obvious from early on who did what) but found the relationship between Paul and Craig irrit
Tami (synchro from BL)
I wanted to like it more... 2,5 stars.

It was well written.

But it was nowhere near the first installment. Which I loved.
Maybe the reason was, that it was told from Craig's PoV. I just didn't warm to him much.
I found him annoying sometimes and stupid and difficult.
And yes, his tragic past explained a lot. But it didn't make me like him more.

I also disliked the "gay rules" in this book. They didn't make much sense and didn't further the plot or the character development in my opinion.

The crime/t
SueM
In some ways 3 stars is not enough but although the writing is good (very British in style), and the psychology behind the characters seems to be realistic for the most part, I can't say I really enjoyed it. It's a fairly bleak novel at times and more of a mystery/thriller novel rather than a romance. Both of the main characters have a lot of baggage, stemming from their past, and it (the past) is a major stumbling block for their relationship. (In many ways, the bleakness and the style of writi ...more
Deeze
Aug 21, 2015 Deeze rated it really liked it
This one worked a little better for me, although the same niggles still applied.

I really liked Craig and I loved watching him and Paul together.

The mystery was pretty much what I assumed and the climatic ending kept me eager to read each page.

But again no epilogue. While a good place to finish off, and I at least get my hope for a HEA, I would of loved just a glimpse a year or so down the line.

Overall a good story, interesting with a slight love story woven in.
DL
Oct 06, 2010 DL rated it it was amazing
Bones was wonderful. Sad and disturbing but wonderful. I love Paul, love Craig. Paul has grown so much since Maloney's Law but he still has more work to do. My only complaint is that there is so much more to their story and the wait isn't going to be easy.
Thomaidha Papa
2.5~3 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

The first thing I noticed about this book – which totally disappointed me – was the fact that it’s written from Craig’s perspective. It’s Craig’s story. In Maloney’s Law we met him at the end of the book and we got a very nice impression about him. The easy going sexy as hell model was bound to bring new air and adventures to Paul’s hard – so far – life. But in all honesty I was disappointed. My main love,
Lori
Jun 29, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
I enjoyed The Bones of Summer - possible more than the first time I read it. I have only just read Maloney's Law, the first of these books, and I think this added to my enjoyment of this book. I don't know if Anne Brooke has any plans to write further about Paul Maloney and Craig Robertson, but I know I would read them if she did. Although each book answers the mystery and crime in their own stories, there are still so many questions, especially about Paul's past that remain a mystery and I'm th ...more
Tessa
Apr 09, 2014 Tessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysterie-crime, gay
This is the second installment to Maloney's law. The first book was in Paul's POV (1st person). It was very dark. At the end of that book Craig made his appearance, and this book here is about him, but in 3rd person view. Paul is in it as well.
As was pointed out before, it is a bit confusing, this change in POV. But what bothered me more was the fact that Maloney's law was very angsty for Paul. And here he was the rock solid pilar for Craig.
It was a totally different character, though with the s
Elisa Rolle
Oct 25, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2009 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Alexa Logan
Apr 09, 2015 Alexa Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook, thriller
I liked it even more than the first one, and I felt soooo much for Paul.
The ending was hopeful, though not really happy, and I hope a third book comes out soon to give Paul what he really deserves.
Becky Condit
Jun 22, 2013 Becky Condit rated it really liked it
Well Anne Brooke has done it to me again. I read the first book in the series, (Maloney’s Law) where Paul Maloney, a broken man, was the main character. At the end of the book, he met Craig Robertson and even though they didn’t end up together, the established a connection.

This is Craig’s story. And what a story it is.

Craig can’t remember much about his childhood. His mother disappeared when he was six. He has memories of a lover he had, one that he may or may not have killed. His father, a man
thelastaerie
Mar 10, 2010 thelastaerie rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I struggled a bit with this story, mainly because I was not warm to the main character Craig, even though I like his love interest Paul a lot. Even though it's told in 3rd person POV, it's very much a story told from Craig's angle. Craig's mind... is a mess. Annoying mess to me. He's not the smartest cookie around, even though he's cute and kind... he just frustrates me when he's being his own worst enemy.

The mystery itself is not complex, pretty much I knew who and what the murderer
Stephanie
May 04, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Andrea
Apr 24, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost but not quite. Too light on mystery.
Rachel
Oct 27, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, mm
Not in the mood for it, don't be put off by me.
Lori
I liked this book. I would have given it 3.5 stars were that possible. The reason it's not 4 stars for me is because the characters are so troubled throughout the entire book. There are very few moments of happiness and never any joy. The angst hangs heavy like a thick London fog where the book takes place. Maybe it's because they are British with the whole "stiff upper lip" thing. I don't know. I found myself wanting it to move along and kept hoping that someone, anyone in the book would be hap ...more
Angel Pedroza
The mystery was predictable and the main character was full of angst. The writing was good hence the three stars.
Angelmira
Jun 16, 2013 Angelmira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops
Truthfully, i love Paul. In Maloney's Law i was completely infatuated with him and i wanted to read this book just because of him. i wanted some happily ever after. he so deserves to have some. but not with Craig *blushes* anyone but him. the second book from Craig's point was a bit of dissapointment for me. i would prefer Paul's POV, but i like it. a lot... but my dream book would be about Paul and Jade together. just saying... it is just MY opinion.
Kirsten
Apr 11, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was ok
I found the main romance a little unbelievable. Craig had this effortless career as a model/actor, worked when he wanted to-- his life was a little too charmed and unrealistic to be convincing. The mystery plot was intriguing, even if it wasn't all that well supported by the backstory, The author never really explained the father's motives and fixation sufficiently to me.
Clare
Aug 20, 2009 Clare rated it it was amazing
Excellent combination of mystery and romance. Loved the UK setting especially and the gritty, modern feel that gave it. Paul follows on from Maloney's law, still the tortured, complex, fascinating man. Craig is new and a great counterpoint, lively, confused, sexy, needy, brave. The sex scenes are very fresh and hot, the dialogue realistic, and Craig's wit enchanting!
Nene
Jul 17, 2010 Nene rated it really liked it
This was a powerful book, and not easy in any way. The relationship between Paul and Craig was really well done, foibles and all, and I really enjoyed the mystery they set out to solve together. Although it is a bit predictible at times, it really didn't take away my enjoyment of the story.
Julia
Sep 26, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
The mystery didn't feel like much of a mystery to me and it was a very easy book to put down (never a good sign) but the characters are pretty good. In the end, I did enjoy it, but didn't really love it. 3.5 stars, bumping up to 4 for goodreads.
Merwan
Oct 05, 2009 Merwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of
Brilliant! I didn't want it to end! It could have been longer I think and more thorough in some places, but even that, this quasi-evasiveness, worked for the book. Flawless editing, skillful prose, loved it.
Li
Mar 25, 2012 Li rated it liked it
Very British feel, which I liked. Less of a romance than a mystery. I think. I closed the book not quite sure if there would be a HEA - it had the sort of HFN a chicklit novel sometimes has.
adrienne
Jul 06, 2010 adrienne rated it liked it
Couldn't really get into this one. wasn't poorly written, but just didn't keep my attention. i think part of my problem was the mystery part of the book wasnt terribly mysterious.
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • Bermuda Heat (L.A., #5)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Personal Demons
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Pas de Deux
  • The White Knight  (The Dark Horse, #2)
  • The Heart of the Jungle
Anne Brooke lives in Surrey, UK. She is a multi-published author in a variety of genres, including gay erotic romance, fantasy, comedy, thrillers, biblical fiction and the occasional chicklit novel. Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize (for novels set in London) and the Royal Literary Fund Scheme.

When not writing, she spends time in the garden attempting to differentiate be
More about Anne Brooke...

Maloney's Law (2 books)
  • Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1)