Start by marking “The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable” as Want to Read:
The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable

The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,248 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
In this stunning follow-up to his best-selling book, The Five Temptations of a CEO, Patrick Lencioni offers up another leadership fable that's every bit as compelling and illuminating as its predecessor. This time, Lencioni's focus is on a leader's crucial role in building a healthy organization--an often overlooked but essential element of business life that is the linchp ...more
Published (first published August 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive

Jerry Fultz
Apr 11, 2012 Jerry Fultz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Patrick does not disappoint.

I read this book as part of an executive coaching program I'm involved with. The guidance provided is outstanding and is spot on. Fortunately, I'll be carrying the ideas forward as part of a follow up exercise with our team.

I'm really looking forward to processing this information with our team. Life is simply too short to deal with sluggish & confused leadership.
Batch Batchelder
Jun 22, 2012 Batch Batchelder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lencioni's material. It is simple and true; not easy to implement, but it makes complete sense.

Reading this gave me a better understanding of the content from The Advantage. He "parablizes" the four disciplines that I 1st read about in The Advantage and further expands on them. There are some minor differences, particularly in the six questions in The Advantage:
1. Why do we exist?
2. How do we behave?
3. What do we do?
4. How will we succeed?
5. What is most important, right now?
6. Who must
Rebecca
While it has a good message, and it deals with a different component of business than most books, but it was just average and a bit over simplified.

It looks at organisational health and is based on four basic principles. In saying the principles are basic isn't that they would be basic to implement but that the ideas and the concepts are basic to understand and basic to think about.

The first half of the book is a story about two CEOs and the business they run, one using the four principles, the
Karen Johnson
Aug 04, 2014 Karen Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are taking any type of Leadership course, then this book is for you. It is a succinct, engaging tale of what are best practices for a healthy organization. The four disciplines as outlined in the book have elements of many leadership theories that have been explored and researched over the years.

Other books by Patrick Lencioni that are great areThe Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fableand The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
Michael Ames
Mar 05, 2009 Michael Ames rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm marking this as "read" although I didn't completely finish it. Lencioni begins his management treatises as interesting parables, then ends them with a pedantic recap of what he already vividly described in the story. I put his books down after reading that first half.

Nevertheless, I recommend this for managers who, like me, sometimes find themselves too caught up in the details of day-to-day work to remember to keep their overall mission in mind. And I suspect you could finish it on a single
Jim &
Oct 10, 2014 Jim & rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Nothing earth-shaking here, but as always, the PL narrative/fable style makes the fundamental principles he teaches spring to life. I am truly inspired after reading this to fight to keep my leadership teams strong and healthy, and to clearly define and act on the core values that gird our health.
Kent White
I'm surprised I hadn't read this book yet, though I've loved all of Lencioni's books. I am often amazed at the simplicity of the ideas, but the discipline and courage to do so is really what is lacking.
Ken
May 30, 2012 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair Lessons, But Good If You Haven't Read Much Books On Running A Company "MoneyMavericks92@Gmail.com",

This book is a fairly decent fable on running a business. Patrick builds up the story about two rival companies, but despite being rivals, one outperforms the other constantly. Patrick starts the story by describing each firm and the internal clockwork that keeps them running. He then goes on to describe the rival company that's constantly outperforming the other. which all boils down to 4 dis
Frank
Sep 16, 2012 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For professional advice, I am not that engaged by data and facts wrapped in supposedly moving and educational stories. Don't get me wrong: I believe that stories are the greatest method to engage people ("Made to Stick" is the handbook for that). There is a trick to blending behavioral research and/or common sense management points into a story to make an engaging prose narrative, and this book doesn't have it for me.

There are too many books that portend greater understanding of the business wo
Tom Leary
Aug 16, 2007 Tom Leary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who manages teams of people or defines the direction of an organization
I’ve previously read Death By Meeting by Patrick Lencioni. I really connect with his ability to tell an engaging story which communicates the point. He then spends the last third of this book describing the four principals and how to put them into practice within the organization.

The four disciplines of a healthy organization are:
1. Build and Maintain a Cohesive Leadership Team
2. Create Organizational Clarity
3. Over-Communicate Organizational Clarity
4. Reinforce Organizational Clarity Through
Erin
Oct 27, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
A grounding book for leaders at any level. Lencioni's books are justifiably called "parables" because the stories feel rather cardboard, but they are effective and I come back to them repeatedly for guidance and inspiration.

The four leadership disciplines outlined in this book are:

Discipline One: Build and maintain a cohesive leadership team. Build trust to openly acknowledge one another's unique strengths and weaknesses. Openly engage in constructive ideological conflict (i.e., fight about id
Metapon Amorntirasan
A fun story to listen to. But the model is the brief version of "The advantage" by the same author, so I didn't learn much although it is good to go over the material again. It makes you feel that you can do it and organization health is very important. The 4 Disciplines are create cohesive leadership team (5 dysfunction), create organizational clarity, over communicate core values, reinforce value through human capital interaction.
Krishna Kumar
I am not a great fan of parables and stories, because they can be easily manipulated to suit one's viewpoint. However I find Lencioni's disciplines very consistent with my personal experiences in organizational behavior. The disciplines and the details mentioned can serve as a good guide for upper level management in establishing the right foundation to move the company forward.
Huy Tran
Nov 22, 2015 Huy Tran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Patrick. I personally find the story this time is built even better than the previous book i read - the Five Dysfunctions of a Team. I hardly put it down once started the first page. A highly recommended book for anyone who wants to learn more about management, how to build and maintain a small team or even a company.
Krissy
Dec 11, 2008 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, just finished. This book was recommended to my by a consultant at our office. We are currently under going a major over-haul. I am supposed be starting the licensing department but have major reservations about doing so. Upon reading this book I see the potential our company has and the things I would love to point out to our CEO. I hope things work out and find this book very insightful and helpful in identifying what we need to work on. I want this company to succeed as it has been around ...more
Joan
Dec 02, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that I had to read for a class I was taking and I was pleasantly surprised by actually enjoying it. The story was easy to follow, the examples shown in the story were duplicatable and workable in a actual office/business. Moved along at a good pace and kept your interest.
Reed Wilson
Feb 15, 2014 Reed Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lencioni fable that breaks things down into basics. If you've already read The Advantage then this book is a bit of a repeat. But, it's a great way to break down the tenets of The Advantage into an easier to read (less dry) format.

Achilee
Oct 13, 2015 Achilee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Success is not so much a function of intelligence or natural ability, but rather of commitment to the right disciplines", which in this case relates to following 4 basic principles: (1) Be cohesive; (2) Be clear; (3) Over-communicate; and (4) Reinforce.

Although these are indeed basic principles, still it is easy in our day to day life as a leader to forget them, and to let bad habits creep in. Never! would you say thinking that these 4 are simply "common sense"... But as we all know, there's is
james
Nov 07, 2015 james rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read

Read this book in one setting. Learned more about creating a strong team than sitting in any business course. I suggest all team leads and managers take time to read this book.
Ken
Mar 18, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Quick read. I read this on a plane flight today. I am bursting with ideas on how to apply within my company. Highly recommended for anyone in a management role.
Scott
Feb 15, 2014 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So simple you'll find yourself smacking your forehead, but deceptively challenging to implement. Lencioni's style keeps you reading and your organization will be glad you did.
Claire Stranberg
Such a nice book to have if you are career-driven and you want to make a name for yourself in the corporate world. It's for executives, but I found that the principles can be applied to lower-level employees. Great book.
Robert
Sep 07, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good sensible advice. I always like the style of writing from Patrick. Tells a good tale in a colorful fashion to teach.
Johnnie
Aug 04, 2014 Johnnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leasership
I read this book today. It was that good. It was clear and concise and gave great non touchy-feely advice on leadership.
Jason Brubaker
Dec 26, 2015 Jason Brubaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give the first half 3 stars and the second half 5 stars. Goes great with Traction and Good to Great. Excellent practical takeaways in the second half. Speaking from experience I can confirm these 4 disciplines make a difference in organizations.
Goodthelife
Apr 05, 2014 Goodthelife rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed the Audible version. Very good! Very thought provoking and the story held my interest.
Bruce Olschewski
Read this for work. Not bad for a business book. Not my genre, but made me think.
Michael Beahon
Apr 06, 2015 Michael Beahon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insights as to how successful companies create corporate cultures.
Stephen
Mar 02, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ FEB 2014

Easy story-based read. Nice model: (1) build/maintain leader team, (2) create org. clarity, (3) over-communicate org. clarity, and (4) reinforce org. clarity with human systems
Cass
Mar 05, 2015 Cass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to read narrative with plenty of practical advice.
  • Traction
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Management: Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...