Start by marking “The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable” as Want to Read:
The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable

The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,765 ratings  ·  73 reviews
In this stunning follow-up to his best-selling book, The Five Temptations of a CEO, Patrick Lencioni offers up another leadership fable that's every bit as compelling and illuminating as its predecessor. This time, Lencioni's focus is on a leader's crucial role in building a healthy organization--an often overlooked but essential element of business life that is the linchp ...more
Published (first published August 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive

Batch Batchelder
I love Lencioni's material. It is simple and true; not easy to implement, but it makes complete sense.

Reading this gave me a better understanding of the content from The Advantage. He "parablizes" the four disciplines that I 1st read about in The Advantage and further expands on them. There are some minor differences, particularly in the six questions in The Advantage:
1. Why do we exist?
2. How do we behave?
3. What do we do?
4. How will we succeed?
5. What is most important, right now?
6. Who must
Rebecca
While it has a good message, and it deals with a different component of business than most books, but it was just average and a bit over simplified.

It looks at organisational health and is based on four basic principles. In saying the principles are basic isn't that they would be basic to implement but that the ideas and the concepts are basic to understand and basic to think about.

The first half of the book is a story about two CEOs and the business they run, one using the four principles, the
Michael Ames
I'm marking this as "read" although I didn't completely finish it. Lencioni begins his management treatises as interesting parables, then ends them with a pedantic recap of what he already vividly described in the story. I put his books down after reading that first half.

Nevertheless, I recommend this for managers who, like me, sometimes find themselves too caught up in the details of day-to-day work to remember to keep their overall mission in mind. And I suspect you could finish it on a single
Jerry Fultz
As usual, Patrick does not disappoint.

I read this book as part of an executive coaching program I'm involved with. The guidance provided is outstanding and is spot on. Fortunately, I'll be carrying the ideas forward as part of a follow up exercise with our team.

I'm really looking forward to processing this information with our team. Life is simply too short to deal with sluggish & confused leadership.
Karen Johnson
If you are taking any type of Leadership course, then this book is for you. It is a succinct, engaging tale of what are best practices for a healthy organization. The four disciplines as outlined in the book have elements of many leadership theories that have been explored and researched over the years.

Other books by Patrick Lencioni that are great areThe Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fableand The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
Ken
Fair Lessons, But Good If You Haven't Read Much Books On Running A Company "MoneyMavericks92@Gmail.com",

This book is a fairly decent fable on running a business. Patrick builds up the story about two rival companies, but despite being rivals, one outperforms the other constantly. Patrick starts the story by describing each firm and the internal clockwork that keeps them running. He then goes on to describe the rival company that's constantly outperforming the other. which all boils down to 4 dis
Frank
For professional advice, I am not that engaged by data and facts wrapped in supposedly moving and educational stories. Don't get me wrong: I believe that stories are the greatest method to engage people ("Made to Stick" is the handbook for that). There is a trick to blending behavioral research and/or common sense management points into a story to make an engaging prose narrative, and this book doesn't have it for me.

There are too many books that portend greater understanding of the business wo
Tom Leary
Aug 16, 2007 Tom Leary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who manages teams of people or defines the direction of an organization
I’ve previously read Death By Meeting by Patrick Lencioni. I really connect with his ability to tell an engaging story which communicates the point. He then spends the last third of this book describing the four principals and how to put them into practice within the organization.

The four disciplines of a healthy organization are:
1. Build and Maintain a Cohesive Leadership Team
2. Create Organizational Clarity
3. Over-Communicate Organizational Clarity
4. Reinforce Organizational Clarity Through
Erin
A grounding book for leaders at any level. Lencioni's books are justifiably called "parables" because the stories feel rather cardboard, but they are effective and I come back to them repeatedly for guidance and inspiration.

The four leadership disciplines outlined in this book are:

Discipline One: Build and maintain a cohesive leadership team. Build trust to openly acknowledge one another's unique strengths and weaknesses. Openly engage in constructive ideological conflict (i.e., fight about id
Metapon Amorntirasan
A fun story to listen to. But the model is the brief version of "The advantage" by the same author, so I didn't learn much although it is good to go over the material again. It makes you feel that you can do it and organization health is very important. The 4 Disciplines are create cohesive leadership team (5 dysfunction), create organizational clarity, over communicate core values, reinforce value through human capital interaction.
Krissy
Wow, just finished. This book was recommended to my by a consultant at our office. We are currently under going a major over-haul. I am supposed be starting the licensing department but have major reservations about doing so. Upon reading this book I see the potential our company has and the things I would love to point out to our CEO. I hope things work out and find this book very insightful and helpful in identifying what we need to work on. I want this company to succeed as it has been around ...more
Joan
This was a book that I had to read for a class I was taking and I was pleasantly surprised by actually enjoying it. The story was easy to follow, the examples shown in the story were duplicatable and workable in a actual office/business. Moved along at a good pace and kept your interest.
Reed Wilson
Another great Lencioni fable that breaks things down into basics. If you've already read The Advantage then this book is a bit of a repeat. But, it's a great way to break down the tenets of The Advantage into an easier to read (less dry) format.

Kent White
I'm surprised I hadn't read this book yet, though I've loved all of Lencioni's books. I am often amazed at the simplicity of the ideas, but the discipline and courage to do so is really what is lacking.
Scott
So simple you'll find yourself smacking your forehead, but deceptively challenging to implement. Lencioni's style keeps you reading and your organization will be glad you did.
Johnnie
I read this book today. It was that good. It was clear and concise and gave great non touchy-feely advice on leadership.
Goodthelife
Borrowed the Audible version. Very good! Very thought provoking and the story held my interest.
Jim &
Nothing earth-shaking here, but as always, the PL narrative/fable style makes the fundamental principles he teaches spring to life. I am truly inspired after reading this to fight to keep my leadership teams strong and healthy, and to clearly define and act on the core values that gird our health.
Stephen
READ FEB 2014

Easy story-based read. Nice model: (1) build/maintain leader team, (2) create org. clarity, (3) over-communicate org. clarity, and (4) reinforce org. clarity with human systems
deepreader
I think it was logical and relevant. Very useful.
Craig
So far Lencioni is 3 for 3 in the books I have read authored by him. He uses the same style and format to teach via a fable and then summary at the end. Great format for me, and as usual with his writing, easy to follow and connect the dots of how this can work for anyone. The four obsessions/disciplines were very helpful and I plan on utilizing them in my work. I think these disciplines would be beneficial for anyone in a leadership position and charged with guiding an organization, business, o ...more
Murthy RSR
must read by all managers
Jeff Brateman
This book had a thriller of a writing style, only to end with a massive comatose inducing description of the obvious. It felt a bit like the end to Atlas Shrugged. I think there has to be a more subtle way to present information than the two-phased approach.

Of course, the material was informative, and helpful to keep in mind as an executive. The major takeaway here is discipline is so important. You cannot let your organization rot because you don't have time. If so, then "You rack disciprine!"
Ray Munyu
The fictional story that hits so close to home because we all desire to be like Rich. A great prequel to his knockout best seller The Advantage. "All successful organizations are smart and healthy...healthy organizations find ways to get smart, but the opposite is often not true...in the end no one but the head of an organization can make it healthy"
David
Great book. Lencioni's story-method is so easy to read and digest.

The story is all to real (from what I've seen) and the suggestions are very good and helpful.

So easy to read, anyone who has direct-reports of ANY kind should read this book and evaluate oneself, one's team, and one's organization through the lens of this book. It won't rewrite the DNA of an organization, but the exercise of using this book as a lens for insight and discussion is highly valuable.
Chris Wood
Patrick Lencioni does it again with his simple yet powerful messages. In storybook fashion he demonstrates four basic, uncomplicated & straight forward guidelines, directed in this book toward the executive team; however relevant for any person in a leadership (or desired leadership) role. The ideas, and more importantly, the significance behind them are reminders to what makes efficient, productive teams, and therefore companies. A highly recommended read.
Mike Gibbs
I love the way Lencioni starts his books with a fictional story showing the day-to-day impact of his theory before diving into it. It's much more helpful than just a lot of framework and buzzwords without a connection to how it impacts an average workday for an average person.

Also, lest the title misguide you, the principles in this book are applicable to anyone in a managerial or leadership role. Don't pass on it because you're not the CEO.
Brian Berryman
The story-style narrative was obnoxious. It's extremely long-winded, and the author puts it on the reader to interpret the information, rather than help them along.
Daniel
Usando uma história de ficção como pano de fundo, o autor declara princípios simples para o sucesso de uma organização:
- tenha uma equipe coesa
- seja claro definindo propósito, valores, estratégia, metas, responsabilidades
- comunique a clareza extensivamente (através de repetição, múltiplos meios, cascata)
- reforce a clareza através de sistemas humanos (contratação, desempenho, recompensa, demissão)
Mat Anderson
This is 180 pages of great writing and important lessons learned. It is NOT a book solely for executives.
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable