Start by marking “The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium #2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  592,267 Ratings  ·  30,430 Reviews
The fierce heart of this novel is Lisbeth Salander: the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who teamed up with crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

This time, Lisbeth is implicated in a murder: her fingerprints found on the weapon used to kill two journalists the night before their explosive story about sex trafficking in Swede
Published July 9th 2009 by Viking Canada (first published June 2006)

Unfortunately not as good as Män som Hatar Kvinnor. He has gone too far, and Lisbeth Salander is no longer a fully credible person; also, the puzzle isn't as satisfying as in the first one.

Start geek-rant: as a former mathematician, I was annoyed by his sloppiness concerning Fermat's Last Theorem. To start off with, he misquotes it several times. And the whole idea that Lisbeth is able to solve it on her own in just a few months, with no formal mathematical training, is cheap. If this were the o
Jan 30, 2009 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Jan 25, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Casey
Larsson keeps up the terrific thriller and suspense work he started in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,' even though that had to be one tough act to follow! I ordered the British edition of this second novel of Larsson's Milennium trilogy from No way could I wait until September 2009 and the American release of the book for my second Lisbeth Salander, Mikael Blomkvist fix!
Here Lisbeth Salander is in another boatload of trouble (of course), though she's richer and dresses a little bet
This is the sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and it was immediately as good as the first but this time I knew this from the very first page.

The first one I felt was slightly more clumsy at the beginning and took a while to truly love it. I speak only for myself of course. This one it starts off with a bang and you know immediately from the first page it is going to be just as good if not better.

Blomkvist takes a back seat here and Salander takes the lead. She after all is really the mos
Grace Tjan

What I learned from this book (in no particular order):

1. Swedish billionaires furnish their multi-million dollar apartments with IKEA --- well, at least ONE peculiar Swedish billionaire.

[image error]
Poang Chair $40

2. Asperger's Syndrome may give you the idea that a T-shirt that says ‘I’M AN ALIEN’ is acceptable office wear, but also photographic memory and phenomenal mathematical ability.

3. "Sweden is one of the countries that imports the most prostitutes per capita from Russia and
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I have this really funny picture in my head of Stieg Larsson having had a list mounted on the wall of his office, and I can just see him going down and checking off one by one as he just verbally decimates every single political idea/government corruption/way of life he despises. I know that is a very silly idea, but it doesn’t change the fact that every cause he is passionate about shows through brilliantly in his writing. He has a way of making you feel exactly as he does, it is brilliant.

Will Byrnes
Apr 27, 2016 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second of his three volume series (well, at least it was three until Larsson's heirs hired someone to make a fourth from his notes) centered on the remarkable researcher and hacker Lisbeth Salandar and journalist Mikael Blomkvist, Larsson has delivered a totally engrossing page-turner. About to publish a book that reveals many dirty secrets concerning the international sex trade in Sweden, Blomkvist is caught up in a deadly race for the truth when his two authors are murdered and Salandar ...more
Jane Maritz
I struggled through this 514-page book.

To begin with, all the homo, bi, double-partner, and heterosexual talk was a bit much. Way beyond my comfort level.

To be fair, once I got about half-way through the book - after all the characters' sexual preferences were clearly established - it did become a page-turner as I raced to find out the ending.

If you like books with lots of character sketches, this might work for you. I was tempted to get out a notepad and sketch out all the characters and their
Aug 23, 2016 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS 2nd book by Larsson. The "Tattoo" Girl (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), is a wonderful character --even better in `this` book! Keeps getting better......
I've already ordered the 3rd book from the United Kingdom. It comes out Oct. 1st.
Lisa Eskra
Oct 29, 2009 Lisa Eskra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first book was for the most part plot-driven. The 40-year old mystery took a while to unfold, but was interesting when it did. So was Lisbeth, although she wasn't the main focus. Enter, The Girl Who Played With Fire. The story has now turned character-driven with Lisbeth as the protagonist. But instead of having much of a plot of any character revelations about her early on, we read about her buying a new apartment, grocery shopping, and what furniture she picked out at IKEA in *great* detai ...more
You do NOT want to get on Lisbeth Salander’s bad side…

The anti-social genius computer hacker is back in this terrific thriller that improves on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Following the events of the first book, Lisbeth has left Sweden and been traveling abroad for over a year. She’s angry with Mikeal Blomkvist and has broken off all contact with him, but he has no idea why since Salander is far too socially awkward to ever explain herself or try to mend a damaged relationship. Blomkvist i
Much later. After such insistence on preserving my idea of my father, my memory of our last meeting, this happened a couple of Fridays ago. I opened up some photos taken by my brother and there my father is, dead in his coffin. I must confess to being quite distressed. And I still don't understand why on earth is this something to preserve? I don't get it one little bit.

Hooked. Totally, completely, utterly hooked. I read this book yesterday during lunch even though I was with two
Jan 12, 2010 pinknantucket rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patient ghouls
Hmm. So the quote on the front cover says "Even more gripping and astonishing than the first...This novel will leave readers on the edge of their seats". If you replaced "gripping" with "frustrating" and "astonishing" with "tedious" and also "on the edge of their seats" with "gnashing their teeth" I would agree with that endorsement.

I read the first in this trilogy during my holidays last year and quite enjoyed it. Perhaps I was under the influence of too many nutella crepes and those revolting
Mar 17, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
To follow the style of the original title of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," I think this book should have been named "A Woman Who Hates Men Who Hate Women." Too convoluted? Yes, but oh so true to the story!

On the surface, "The Girl Who Played with Fire" is about sex trafficking and prostitution in Sweden and high-ranking men who abuse underage girls. But, just like the first novel, it's not quite that simple - the story gradually morphs into a tale of sexual prejudice, abuse of power, and go
Sep 12, 2016 Fabian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is ample description of our titular heroine in the first third of "The Girl Who Played with Fire." Lisbeth Salander is composing and arranging a new life for herself while still maintaining the baggage left over from her early years (tons of child abuse) and the occurrences of Book #1. And she's still acting, to put it nicely, quite unconventional. It is precisely this mask, as well as people's prejudices and judgements that make her the ideal infiltrator of conspiracies in the highest ech ...more
Aug 04, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am confident that Stieg Larsson has a reason for this, but Lisbeth Salander is not much of a heroine. Let's list her transgressions from The Girl Who Played With Fire (and these will be deliberately out of context):

1. She forces herself on a 16 year old boy in Granada.
2. She kills a man on the beach during a hurricane.
3. She shuts out Blomkvist for a very long time for a perceived slight, giving him no explanation.
4. She fails to take or show the necessary care with her ex-guardian after his s
Jun 22, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kick-ass, blog
If loving the Millennium books is wrong, baby, I don't want to be right.

In scanning through the other reviews, I have to concur with many of the problems mentioned: superfluous detail (specific IKEA furniture is mentioned several times--as if I know what any of it looks like just because I have the model number provided, sandwiches are made, coffee is brewed, Billy's Pan Pizzas are consumed); there's a real dearth of poetic or stylized language; there's a cast of hundreds (maybe not quite, but i
May 20, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larsson's second novel about Lisbeth Salander, or about MIkhail Blomkvist of Millennium Magazine, either as it may be, was a suspenseful gem.

A little slow to get started, this one lacked the steady momentum of the first, but the second half more than makes up for the inconsistent and morose first half. Larrson was immensely talented and it is a great shame that we can look forward to no more novels from him.

As Blomkvist was the center of attention in the first, Salander is definitely the subje
مصطفي سليمان

الفكرة عاملة تخليك تسئل مليون سؤال
رسمه للشخصيات
لا يقال عليه شئ غير سحري
متأكد ان فيه ملف كامل لكل شخصية

Stieg Larsson doesn't really do subtle. If he thinks an issue is important, he will shout it from the rooftops. With a megaphone. But since he is condemning misogyny and violence towards women, I'm ok with that.

"Salander was the woman who hated men who hate women."
This book, much more than its predecessor, focuses on the tiny-but-tough Lisbeth Salander. We learn quite a bit about the fascinating and horrific backstory that led to Salander developing her unique, defensive, prickly personality.
Dan Schwent
Mar 09, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three people are dead and Lisbeth Salander's finger prints are on the murder weapon. Can Mikael Blomkvist clear her name before the police find her? And what does Lisbeth's situation have to do with an expose of the Swedish sex trade two of the murder victims were working on?

I was afraid The Girl Who Played With Fire would suffer from the sophomore jinx. I'm pleased to say it did not.

Larsson must have figured out he had a good thing in Lisbeth Salander while working on The Girl With The Dragon T
Culture imposes on women constant indoctrination of the idea that our vaginas should make us small, weak, and incapable of caring for ourselves or others.

"A woman could obviously never be a fire fighter, for example." "We couldn't send a woman to do that military job because what if she got her period? She couldn't take a week off when she's there!" "There are just some days in the month when a woman diplomat wouldn't be able to do her job." "I wouldn't watch women's sports because women aren't
Jeffrey Keeten
Feb 09, 2015 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic-noir
He had come.
He smelled of aftershave.
She hated the smell of him.
He...observed her for a long time.
She hated his silence.
Then he spoke to her. He had a dark, clear voice that stressed, pedantically, each word.
She hated his voice.
He laid the back of a moist hand on her forehead and ran his fingers along her hairline in a gesture that was probably intended to be friendly.
She hated his touch.

Lisbeth Salander is simply unforgettable.
 photo LisbethSalander_zpsc867bfba.jpg

I read the first book in this trilogy the year it was published
Franco  Santos
Mar 27, 2015 Franco Santos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una excelente continuación de saga. Me gustó más que el primero. En éste mi protagonista favorita -Lisbeth Salander- adquiere más atención. Todo este tomo gira alrededor de ella. También aparecen nuevos personajes que me encantaron. Son muy originales y cada uno tiene algo especial.

Con respecto al final, por Dios... ¡Qué final! Me dejó con el corazón en la boca.
A downright masterpiece. The action sequences, the constant tension continually building up to lead to a tremendous ending. Lisbeth freaking Salander, she may actually be one of the best, and most complex characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. Introverted, extremely genial, and dangerous if need be, she's the epitome of the formula to the creation of a super-intriguing character.

Like the first book, this was a complete investigation-kind-of-book. But unlike the first one, this h
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
WHAT WAS THAT ENDING??? ugh. I allowed to ship them yet?

Seriously though, they're always saving each other's lives. First Lisbeth saves Mikael, then in this book Mikael saves Lisbeth... either they save each other at the same time in the next book or they both die. That's my prediction.

This book gets an extra star for being less dry than the first one (through no fault of Dragon Tattoo's, there was a LOT of setup to do) and for focusing on Lisbeth's backstory, because she is one of the mos
Karina E
Feb 20, 2016 Karina E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Such an intense story. Can't wait to read the third book because this cliffhanger is crazy
The struggle with this book is finally over.

After having read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", I was looking forward to reading this book so much, it actually managed to disappoint me enormously. I needed one week to get through the first book of the series. And one entire month to get through the second.

At first, here's what I liked about it (spoiler-free!):

Lisbeth Salander is one of the most amazing characters I've ever met in literature. Scenes with her as a present force were the ones wh
Okay I have to get this out my chest. STIEG LARSSON WAS A TERRIBLE WRITTER. I know I appear to be an asshole of gigantic proportion for lashing out on a dead man but THIS BOOK is horrible, people.

I am not just going to throw some senseless accusation without backing it up with some solid,undenaible proof. So lets roll it.

Exhibit 1: Mr. Writing, Can you BE more unbearably tedious? Everything is explained ad nauseum. "The laptop has a 17-inch screen, 2.2 GHZ processor, 200 GB hard drive and 1.00
I love this series so much!!!

This book picks up where book 1 left off and does so well. I loved where the plot headed and learning more about Lisbeth Salander. She is honestly one of my favourite characters of all time! She is so strong and I just adore her. Blomkvist is also just one of the best male characters of all time as well and I adore him also.

Something I like about these books is I love the detail. The author details every moment of these characters days in ways I love that I normall
  • The White Lioness (Kurt Wallander, #3)
  • Eldvittnet (Joona Linna, #3)
  • Os Pilares da Terra, Volume 2 of 2 (Os Pilares da Terra, #1)
  • Arctic Chill (Inspector Erlendur #7)
  • Cop Killer (Martin Beck, #9)
  • Three Seconds (Grens & Sundkvist #5)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • Marco Effekten (Afdeling Q, #5)
  • Frelseren (Harry Hole, #6)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Fludd
  • Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)
  • The Murder Room (Adam Dalgliesh, #12)
  • Red Wolf (Annika Bengtzon, #5)
  • Stenhuggaren (Patrik Hedström, #3)
Stieg Larsson (born as Karl Stig-Erland Larsson) was a Swedish journalist and writer who passed away in 2004.

As a journalist and editor of the magazine Expo , Larsson was active in documenting and exposing Swedish extreme right and racist organisations. When he died at the age of 50, Larsson left three unpublished thrillers and unfinished manuscripts for more. The first three books ( The Girl Wit
More about Stieg Larsson...

Millennium (4 books)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3)
  • The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, #4)

“There are no innocents. There are, however, different degrees of responsibility.” 1046 likes
“Don’t ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude towards the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she’ll get a bigger gun.” 364 likes