Start by marking “Sisters” as Want to Read:
Sisters

Sisters

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Why, everyone has some alternative, Cherry pleaded. "It can't be that marriage is the only--the only irrevocable thing If you had a partner that you couldn't go on with, you could come to SOME agreement You could make a sacrifice, but somehow you could end the association Peter," she said, earnestly, "when I think of marketing again--six chops and soup-meat and butter and ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by The Echo Library (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Kin
457th out of 705 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Jodi
I did not enjoy this book AT ALL for many reasons. The technical qualities of writing were "okay," and I found the story to be a bit dull and depressing at times. I do not enjoy any type of entertainment that uses unfaithfulness in its plot line. I understand this happens in real life, but I do not support showcasing it to generate profit. Especially when the unfaithfulness is between family members and spouses. Awful. This book was about two sisters. One is pretty, spoiled, and immature. The ot ...more
Brooke
I dont know the last time a book made me cry that much. Great book that says a lot about marriage, the significance of that union, the strength of some women, and what not thinking about others can tear apart.
Jessica
Debbie
This is the first romance novel that I have read in a long time...but it was definitely worth my read. The storyline was very interesting and had me guessing from chapter to chapter just when certain people were going to find out certain things about those they loved! Sad in the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it, or almost lose it.

Definitely worth your time to check it out. My main reason for even reading this book, besides the good reviews I read about it, is that i
Emme
This book was definitely sentimental, but I did enjoy it. Reminded me a lot of The Great Gatsby, and that's one of my faves. I especially like the setting of this story, as I miss the San Francisco Bay Area.I'm interested in finding out what the critical response was for this book when it was released in 1919, and certainly, doing a feminist reading of the book would be interesting.
Vicki Skywark
Available as a free e-book, I downloaded this title as a test of my new Kindle Touch 3G. Written in the early 20th century, it reads something like Louisa May Alcott, but is a bit more contemporary in its themes (think Margaret Mitchell). So it was a surprisingly satisfying read, a nice break from the more contemporary literary fiction I usually read. It might not be for everybody, but I enjoyed it, and it kept my interest until the last page.

The main characters are a loving family of two siste
Rory
Feb 06, 2011 Rory rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rory by: Kindle's free e-book suggestions
Shelves: pre-1960
Okay, I'm not sure how I came across this book--probably through Amazon's "you might like" feature for Kindle-rs. At first I figured it was some sort of obscure but well-reviewed minor masterpiece of the New Realism or something. Then, after realizing how lazy and louche the writing was, and after doing a bit of research (and finding nothing about the book), I realized that I was probably just reading a romance novel from the 20s. Upper middle class folks living in the redwood forests, not falli ...more
Judy
Pure coincidence that this book has similarities to the book I just finished the day before (Edith Wharton's "The Custom of the Country"). Cherry, like Undine, is a spoiled beauty but she is not despicable; she actually tries to make her marriage work. Older sister Alix is a fun and loving free-spirited person, who is like I wish I were. Unfortunately, in my mind, the "villain" in this story is a man, and I am glad I do not know anyone like him, with his superficial ideas. He should know better ...more
Carla
This novel, reminiscent of the 19th century, found ways to keep me turning pages. Two sisters, Cherry and Alix, and a cousin, Anne, idolize the girls' father, Dr. Strickland. He takes care of the girls and introduces them to society where they are eagerly welcomed. What is uncommon in the novels we read today and tv/movies aired is the lack of jealousy and revenge between the girls. Rather, it was more of a "what comes around goes around" attitude and no celebration of anyone's failures. In fact ...more
Susan Baranoff
Fascinating to read a book written in a time when the moralizing ending can ruin a good PG rated 21st century romance. Well written. Good characters. Interesting dilemmas of the day. Gives me some perspective on how my grandmothers may have been raised; values, family, marriage, etc.

Certainly worth exploring at least one more of Thompson Norris's books. Do they all have such a moralistic bent?

Some might say it was "Little Women Light" without the happier ending.
Diane
This was a free Kindle download. It was actually a fairly decent story, although it dragged on much longer than I would have liked. Perhaps it was the genre, a romance novel with a twist, that bothered me, but it just seemed to go on forever. The characters were not believable, and the whole plot seemed so sanitized that I lost patience with it. It just didn't do it for me, sorry.
Sheila Good
Old fashioned romance novel, set in a much earlier time; Women were considered fragile and men gentlemen unless of course they were back stabbing, and conniving adultrous scoundrels who somehow managed to come across as the "victim". And families were loving and forgiving and supportive, regardless. I still found it rather enjoyable.
Dayle
Author's description of Mill Valley, near San Francisco, and its environs was amazing, very calming and peaceful, and yet I always had a sense of foreboding that turned out to be realized in a tragic end. Set during the early age of automobiles, the author still manages to keep the story relevant to all eras.
Vicki

I so enjoyed this book. It moved along nicely with not a lot of messy characters and plots all over the place.
The story of two sisters and their orphaned female cousin who are coming of age in a time where you were married young and life was simple.
It moves along and I did not see the ending coming.
SueDella
The writing was good and I was instantly attracted to the setting, which happens to be the north bay area. The story was very Russian to me especially concerning the destiny and fate aspects. I do not really recommend this book due to its drawn out storyline. This is not a romance novel.
Deborah Robb
Slow starting book that turned into a pretty good read. Story about 2 sisters and their cousin. The story covers a 6 year period. The main story is Cherry and her sister Alex and their relationship with the men they marry. It did have an ending I wasn't expecting and was a bit of a tear jerker.
Melinda Miller
I would have finished this book sooner, but with classes I havent been able to read as much. I like the book and it was quite intriguing. Cherry is spoiled and very immature. I hated the ending and wished it would have ended another way.
Lena
This was a free book on my kindle and i enjoyed it. It was written long long ago and you could tell. The family story was well written from a time gone by.
Dawn
Quite an enjoyable read, I really quite liked it, not for everyone but IF you happen to know my friend Melinda I think she would enjoy this book.
Dinah
I found the story predictable at times and unfulfilling overall. There were a few interesting parts and people, butnot enough.
Judith
I liked this book until the very end - then it became too melodramatic for my taste!
Shelley
Would not recommend. Mostly about a selfish girl named Cherry. Unrealistic.
Kim
Jennifer Whitteaker
I loved how the book surprised me in the end!
Tina Mason Bond
I enjoyed this book, tragic though...
Amy Bosworth
Amy Bosworth marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Einstein's Shutter
  • The Light Horseman's Daughter
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • The Jerusalem Inception
  • Commune of Women
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
  • Delivery
  • The Girl from Montana (GLH #66)
  • Battle Pod (Doom Star, #3)
  • Beyond All Price
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • The Case of Jennie Brice
  • The Song of the Cardinal
  • Veiled Freedom
  • The Romance of a Christmas Card
  • Dying on the Vine (Gideon Oliver, #17)
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
Educated at the University of California, Kathleen married Charles Norris, brother of the author Frank Norris, in 1909. She was a prolific author, producing over 80 novels in addition to numerous short stories and articles. Norris was a regular contributor to leading magazines such as Atlantic and Ladies' Home Journal. Her first novel, Lost Sunrise, appeared in 1909 and was immediately popular. By ...more
More about Kathleen Thompson Norris...
Mother The Heart of Rachael The Rich Mrs. Burgoyne The Story of Julia Page The Venables