Start by marking “Sisters” as Want to Read:
Sisters

Sisters

Why, everyone has some alternative, Cherry pleaded. "It can't be that marriage is the only--the only irrevocable thing If you had a partner that you couldn't go on with, you could come to SOME agreement You could make a sacrifice, but somehow you could end the association Peter," she said, earnestly, "when I think of marketing again--six chops and soup-meat and butter and ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by The Echo Library (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters

Jodi
Mar 03, 2012 Jodi rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy this book AT ALL for many reasons. The technical qualities of writing were "okay," and I found the story to be a bit dull and depressing at times. I do not enjoy any type of entertainment that uses unfaithfulness in its plot line. I understand this happens in real life, but I do not support showcasing it to generate profit. Especially when the unfaithfulness is between family members and spouses. Awful. This book was about two sisters. One is pretty, spoiled, and immature. The ot ...more
Brooke
Apr 20, 2011 Brooke rated it really liked it
I dont know the last time a book made me cry that much. Great book that says a lot about marriage, the significance of that union, the strength of some women, and what not thinking about others can tear apart.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie
Oct 03, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first romance novel that I have read in a long time...but it was definitely worth my read. The storyline was very interesting and had me guessing from chapter to chapter just when certain people were going to find out certain things about those they loved! Sad in the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until you lose it, or almost lose it.

Definitely worth your time to check it out. My main reason for even reading this book, besides the good reviews I read about it, is that i
Emme
Mar 28, 2011 Emme rated it really liked it
This book was definitely sentimental, but I did enjoy it. Reminded me a lot of The Great Gatsby, and that's one of my faves. I especially like the setting of this story, as I miss the San Francisco Bay Area.I'm interested in finding out what the critical response was for this book when it was released in 1919, and certainly, doing a feminist reading of the book would be interesting.
Vicki Skywark
Nov 28, 2011 Vicki Skywark rated it really liked it
Available as a free e-book, I downloaded this title as a test of my new Kindle Touch 3G. Written in the early 20th century, it reads something like Louisa May Alcott, but is a bit more contemporary in its themes (think Margaret Mitchell). So it was a surprisingly satisfying read, a nice break from the more contemporary literary fiction I usually read. It might not be for everybody, but I enjoyed it, and it kept my interest until the last page.

The main characters are a loving family of two siste
Perry Whitford
Two sisters raised in rural California by their unworldly father commit themselves to two very different men before disappointment and tragedy teach them important lessons about what it means to be married.

The younger sister, beautiful Cherry Strickland, marries Martin, the first handsome man that come along, but soon regrets it. Alix waits and eventually marries their childhood friend, Peter. But Peter has always been in love with Cherry.

Peter and Cherry decide to run away together, but the plo
Rory
Jan 11, 2011 Rory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rory by: Kindle's free e-book suggestions
Shelves: pre-1960
Okay, I'm not sure how I came across this book--probably through Amazon's "you might like" feature for Kindle-rs. At first I figured it was some sort of obscure but well-reviewed minor masterpiece of the New Realism or something. Then, after realizing how lazy and louche the writing was, and after doing a bit of research (and finding nothing about the book), I realized that I was probably just reading a romance novel from the 20s. Upper middle class folks living in the redwood forests, not falli ...more
Kathleen Vincenz
Sep 02, 2015 Kathleen Vincenz rated it liked it
An odd book that goes in directions you don't expect based on choices the characters make that don't seem probable based on what you've learned about them. Both sisters make poor choices in husbands and that causes all the problems. One sister believes she marries for love but finds none, and the other marries for necessity and learns she loves her husband but he doesn't return that love.

Reading books like this always make you happy to live in a time when women have more options than marriage.
Judy
Jan 16, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Pure coincidence that this book has similarities to the book I just finished the day before (Edith Wharton's "The Custom of the Country"). Cherry, like Undine, is a spoiled beauty but she is not despicable; she actually tries to make her marriage work. Older sister Alix is a fun and loving free-spirited person, who is like I wish I were. Unfortunately, in my mind, the "villain" in this story is a man, and I am glad I do not know anyone like him, with his superficial ideas. He should know better ...more
Carla
Feb 28, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
This novel, reminiscent of the 19th century, found ways to keep me turning pages. Two sisters, Cherry and Alix, and a cousin, Anne, idolize the girls' father, Dr. Strickland. He takes care of the girls and introduces them to society where they are eagerly welcomed. What is uncommon in the novels we read today and tv/movies aired is the lack of jealousy and revenge between the girls. Rather, it was more of a "what comes around goes around" attitude and no celebration of anyone's failures. In fact ...more
Susan Baranoff
Fascinating to read a book written in a time when the moralizing ending can ruin a good PG rated 21st century romance. Well written. Good characters. Interesting dilemmas of the day. Gives me some perspective on how my grandmothers may have been raised; values, family, marriage, etc.

Certainly worth exploring at least one more of Thompson Norris's books. Do they all have such a moralistic bent?

Some might say it was "Little Women Light" without the happier ending.
Vicki
Sep 08, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I so enjoyed this book. It moved along nicely with not a lot of messy characters and plots all over the place.
The story of two sisters and their orphaned female cousin who are coming of age in a time where you were married young and life was simple.
It moves along and I did not see the ending coming.
Sheila Good
Jan 09, 2011 Sheila Good rated it liked it
Old fashioned romance novel, set in a much earlier time; Women were considered fragile and men gentlemen unless of course they were back stabbing, and conniving adultrous scoundrels who somehow managed to come across as the "victim". And families were loving and forgiving and supportive, regardless. I still found it rather enjoyable.
Dayle
Jun 02, 2011 Dayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author's description of Mill Valley, near San Francisco, and its environs was amazing, very calming and peaceful, and yet I always had a sense of foreboding that turned out to be realized in a tragic end. Set during the early age of automobiles, the author still manages to keep the story relevant to all eras.
Diane
This was a free Kindle download. It was actually a fairly decent story, although it dragged on much longer than I would have liked. Perhaps it was the genre, a romance novel with a twist, that bothered me, but it just seemed to go on forever. The characters were not believable, and the whole plot seemed so sanitized that I lost patience with it. It just didn't do it for me, sorry.
Melinda Miller
Mar 10, 2011 Melinda Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have finished this book sooner, but with classes I havent been able to read as much. I like the book and it was quite intriguing. Cherry is spoiled and very immature. I hated the ending and wished it would have ended another way.
Deborah Robb
Oct 14, 2012 Deborah Robb rated it really liked it
Slow starting book that turned into a pretty good read. Story about 2 sisters and their cousin. The story covers a 6 year period. The main story is Cherry and her sister Alex and their relationship with the men they marry. It did have an ending I wasn't expecting and was a bit of a tear jerker.
SueDella
Oct 16, 2011 SueDella rated it it was ok
The writing was good and I was instantly attracted to the setting, which happens to be the north bay area. The story was very Russian to me especially concerning the destiny and fate aspects. I do not really recommend this book due to its drawn out storyline. This is not a romance novel.
Dinah
Oct 01, 2011 Dinah rated it it was ok
I found the story predictable at times and unfulfilling overall. There were a few interesting parts and people, butnot enough.
Dawn
Jan 13, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable read, I really quite liked it, not for everyone but IF you happen to know my friend Melinda I think she would enjoy this book.
Lena
Jun 08, 2011 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free book on my kindle and i enjoyed it. It was written long long ago and you could tell. The family story was well written from a time gone by.
carol doherty
carol doherty rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2011
Clintsy Bell Young
Clintsy Bell Young rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2011
Maria B
Maria B rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Linda Stock
Linda Stock rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Einstein's Shutter
  • The Jerusalem Inception
  • The Song of the Cardinal
  • Delivery
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • The Funniest Cop Stories Ever
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • The Girl from Montana
  • The Light Horseman's Daughter
  • Beyond All Price
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree
  • Commune of Women
  • The Great Stone Face
  • The Bird's Christmas Carol
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • An American Holocaust: The Story of Lataine's Ring
  • Veiled Freedom
Educated at the University of California, Kathleen married Charles Norris, brother of the author Frank Norris, in 1909. She was a prolific author, producing over 80 novels in addition to numerous short stories and articles. Norris was a regular contributor to leading magazines such as Atlantic and Ladies' Home Journal. Her first novel, Lost Sunrise, appeared in 1909 and was immediately popular. By ...more
More about Kathleen Thompson Norris...