Start by marking “Water Dance” as Want to Read:
Water Dance

Water Dance

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Travel with author-illustrator Thomas Locker and follow our planet's most precious resource--water--on its daily journey through our world.
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Water Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Dance

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanInside the Earth by Joanna ColeMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeOwen by Kevin Henkes
Reading Rainbow Featured Books
101st out of 146 books — 33 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussCurious George by H.A. ReyHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCaps for Sale by Esphyr SlobodkinaThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
Preschoolers at Second Grade Level
41st out of 69 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Syndi Flores
Nov 17, 2014 Syndi Flores rated it really liked it
This book shows the reader what the water cycle is in a short fun way. Each page is a poem about a certain thing that is in the picture that goes along with that specific section. For example, there is a picture of a place in the mountains and the poem describes the mountain stream that is also in the picture. Below the poem, there is a single sentence that explains what the author was describing. Despite the story mainly made up of poems, it still has a storyline to follow, which is the water c ...more
Rachel
Nov 17, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book is a way to teach the water cycle in a fun way to children while also teaching about poetry. The pictures are very realistic and colorful and amazing. They have thick boarders around the edges. On every left hand side there is a short poem with a revelation at the end and then the pictures on the right hand side correlate with the poem. Each poem describes a new environment but they all work together to make up our world.

This story is the perfect way to knock out two birds with one st
Tyler Smith
Oct 05, 2009 Tyler Smith rated it it was amazing
I used this book to introduce the water cycle to my first graders and they were completely enthralled by it.
Janell Martin
Aug 05, 2014 Janell Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, children
Beautiful artwork of the various forms of water with a short poem stanza for each. In the back there are small copies of the pictures with a brief scientific description of each water form. The author has an evolutionary point of view, which shows in a couple of statements. Perfect for Christian home education for use in teaching creation point of view when not using the last few pages and for helping students recognize evolution in teaching.
MusingMom Kris
Jan 23, 2016 MusingMom Kris rated it really liked it
Locker's illustrations are stunning--truly a beautiful book. The text is uncomplicated, yet draws a child into the water cycle with beauty and simplicity. The back of the book has further detail for olders kids. It gives a better understanding of the water cycle than Cloud Dance does of clouds, though this is still for preschool or beginner science. The artwork is for everyone.
Ina
May 31, 2016 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a breath taking book filled with rich language and beautiful soft water color illustrations, with a verse about all things water: rivers, lakes, waterfalls, clouds, storms, rain, and rainbows. "I am one thing . I am many things. I am water. This is my dance though our world." Truly an amazing book!
Elizabeth Smith
Locker, Thomas. Water Dance. Illus. Thomas Locker. New York: New York, 1997. Print. Poetry, water cycle. In Water Dance the author and illustrator has filled the pages with descriptive poetry that explain the differences between bodies of water found in the world. He also talks about clouds, rainbows, and mist. After the story has ended he uses the last pages to explain the water cycle. This book is unlike most picture books in the sense that the author isn’t really telling a story but is more s ...more
Connie
Aug 22, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
It can be hard to write an educational picture book. You don't have any plot (or you DO and it feels tacked on and weird), and it may be a subject - like the water cycle - that seems to go best with dry, flat, boring diagrams with arrows on them.

The author has completely eschewed the normal approach to go with beautiful, evocative paintings and poetry.

It's not as informative, maybe, as an early science reader approach, but for an introduction to the subject or a younger child - or just for havi
Garren
May 16, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
Same deal for all of Locker's books: gorgeous landscapes (skyscapes, seascapes, etc.) but the text that goes with it won't be making it to group storytime.
Jessica Lane
Water Dance by Thomas Locker is a beautiful way of telling about the water cycle. Locker talks about the water cycle from the first person of "water". The book reads like a poem.

I really liked Water Dance. I never really thought there was a cool way to talk about the water cycle. I'm not a big fan of science, but books like this make it so much easier to read about. I feel like most children would agree with that.

This would be a great book to use in the classroom. It could be used for science o
Joe
Oct 17, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and poetry to personify the water cycle. Almost makes me want to teach elementary.
Meghan Brigan
Water Dance is an informative picture book that vividly describes the water cycle through descriptive wording and beatiful pictures. Water Dance personifies water by always using the word "I" to describe the various things water does. This book is for children five and up. Children will have fun learning about the water cycle while reading this book. It is a fascinating portrayal of one of our most essential resources on our planet. Water dances across the pages leaving an impact on the reader t ...more
MaryJane
Jun 09, 2015 MaryJane rated it liked it
Shelves: pb, 2015-list
Possible use as read aloud or introduction to water in science and geography classes.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 14, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2004
Water Dance has to be one of the most beautiful picture books I've seen in a while. Another lovely picture book that also features oil paintings is called Alphabet City by Stephen T. Johnson.

Water Dance follows the cycle of water from rain storm back along it's flow downhill to the sea, through evaporation and becoming rain again. Each page has a verse and a print of oil painting to compliment the words.

My son enjoys books with simple rhymes and I enjoy books that are well illustrated. This book
Zoe
Jun 15, 2015 Zoe rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful pictures! Fine art quality
Naomi
Nov 14, 2011 Naomi added it
Shelves: science
Free verse poems about the movement of water. Beautiful pictures. Also describes different water forms: rain, mountain stream, waterfall, lake, river, sea, mist, clouds, storm front, thunderhead, storm, rainbow, water.
Some of these terms would need extra research and explanation. At the end there is some extra explanation about each form. But lends itself to further scientific inquiry on various water topics.
This book might be good to integrate science with a literacy objective.
I even learned ne
Elanor
May 06, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Apr 09, 2012 Laura added it
Shelves: edsl-520
Locker, Thomas. Water Dance. (1997)

Annotation: There are small poems which describe all the many forms of water. Accompanying those poems are beautiful paintings of what is being described in the poem.

Themes: water cycle, nature, poetry

Ways to use with children: You could use this book when teaching the water cycle. You could also use this during a poetry lesson and ask student to write poems about another cycle found in nature.

Recommended age: 7-16
Miri
Sep 17, 2012 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I wish so much that the design for this book had been done differently. The illustrations are gorgeous, but each page has an inch-wide sort of beige border, and that just really ruins it. If they'd gone full-page with the illustrations, they'd be absolutely striking; as it is, they sort of look like badly framed hotel art. It's really a shame, because between those illustrations and the lovely text, it could easily have been five stars.
Stina
Nov 29, 2015 Stina rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2014
Book #53 for 2014

Rather a different product from this author, and much more to my liking. Locker's gorgeous illustrations are here, as usual, but the writing style is much more poetic. Then the poetry is followed up with a prose explanation of the Earth's water cycle. Here the straightforward style serves him much better in this almost textbook-like format. The split format was a little odd, I suppose, but I found it appealing.
Pynteya Bate
Mar 01, 2011 Pynteya Bate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I love this book!!!! It takes the reader through the expedition of the water cycle by listing on each page a riddle and the painting that provides the clue to the answer which students can guess. For example:
“In thousands of shapes I reappear/ high above the earth in the blue sky./ I float./ I drift./ I am the clouds.” I think this is good way to engage students into learning and conversations about the water cycle.
Carol
Sep 28, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Author Thomas Locker
Grade Level - 2-5

This book weaves some wonderful poetry with some beautiful pictures about different forms of water. The poems are told from the point of view of a person by using the word "I" to describe each form of water. I read it with my 5th grade students to give them a writing idea to write about something as if it were real.
Bonnie Pohlig
Oct 31, 2010 Bonnie Pohlig rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! This book has choral reading written all over it - it is a splendid way to teach the water cycle and really help children become involved. It is also valuable as poetry and has beautiful pictures of nature. At the back of the book there is more factual information about the details of the water cycle. Wow, this book just really makes me so excited!!
Twee
Sep 27, 2009 Twee rated it it was amazing
The writing in this book is very poetic! Water comes in many forms, and many of them are mentioned in this book. This book is great as an introduction to the water cycle, or even as a review. The illustrations are wonderful and almost realistic. I recommend this book to all elementary teachers as well as literary teachers, too!
Joanie
Nov 26, 2011 Joanie rated it really liked it
I read this book to first graders after a lesson on forms/ mass of water (liquid, ice and melted liquid). As I read the book, I covered the answers and had students guess the type of water based on the descriptions. Students enjoyed it because it was like a game for them while they learned about water and it's many uses.
Amanda Andrews
Nov 24, 2010 Amanda Andrews rated it really liked it
This book has a different poem on each page with beautiful illustrations. Each poem is on a different form of water and together they form the water cycle. This would be great to use when learning about the water cycle, or different types of poetry without rhyming words.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Water Dance is about water cycle as it starts with rain until it reaches its final destination in the sky as a rainbow. The book uses words like "whooshing, roaring, and tricking" to describe the movement of water.It helps to expand children's vocabularies in an expressive way.
Shanna
Dec 04, 2007 Shanna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 1-6
This book has beautiful language and a lot of great information! It talks about all of the different forms water takes, with details such as the difference of Cumulus, Stratus, and Cirus clouds. It would be great to use on a poetry unit or for a scientific study on water.
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This books was suggested for Water Week so I read it. I loved it! The poetry is lovely and the pictures are just amazing (almost like they are photographs) I also like in the back it has long explanations of the pictures and their part in the water cycle!
Leah
Feb 23, 2010 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I love Thomas Locker's books. The illustrations are simply beautiful and the stories are uncomplicated and perfect. This book follows the story of water through all its forms and at the end of the story, the water cycle is written out and illustrated.
  • Night in the Country
  • Barefoot: Escape On The Underground Railroad
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart
  • A Tree for Peter
Thomas Locker was one of the major American painters of the past century. In a career that spanned almost 60 years, he had over 75 solo exhibitions. His work ranged from the delicate to the monumental, but all had one thing in common: the beauty of the natural world. He had a deep appreciation for the elusive link between the human spirit and the sublime force of nature.

He spent his entire life in
More about Thomas Locker...