Water Dance

Water Dance

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Travel with author-illustrator Thomas Locker and follow our planet's most precious resource--water--on its daily journey through our world.
Published April 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

Tara
This book is down right perfect. Each page features a poem about a different form of water. Each is accompanied by a beautiful illustration. The writing is simple and powerful. Children will love hearing this peaceful story.
Tyler Smith
I used this book to introduce the water cycle to my first graders and they were completely enthralled by it.
Connie
It can be hard to write an educational picture book. You don't have any plot (or you DO and it feels tacked on and weird), and it may be a subject - like the water cycle - that seems to go best with dry, flat, boring diagrams with arrows on them.

The author has completely eschewed the normal approach to go with beautiful, evocative paintings and poetry.

It's not as informative, maybe, as an early science reader approach, but for an introduction to the subject or a younger child - or just for havi...more
Meghan Brigan
Water Dance is an informative picture book that vividly describes the water cycle through descriptive wording and beatiful pictures. Water Dance personifies water by always using the word "I" to describe the various things water does. This book is for children five and up. Children will have fun learning about the water cycle while reading this book. It is a fascinating portrayal of one of our most essential resources on our planet. Water dances across the pages leaving an impact on the reader t...more
Sarah Sammis
Water Dance has to be one of the most beautiful picture books I've seen in a while. Another lovely picture book that also features oil paintings is called Alphabet City by Stephen T. Johnson.

Water Dance follows the cycle of water from rain storm back along it's flow downhill to the sea, through evaporation and becoming rain again. Each page has a verse and a print of oil painting to compliment the words.

My son enjoys books with simple rhymes and I enjoy books that are well illustrated. This book...more
Naomi
Nov 14, 2011 Naomi added it
Shelves: science
Free verse poems about the movement of water. Beautiful pictures. Also describes different water forms: rain, mountain stream, waterfall, lake, river, sea, mist, clouds, storm front, thunderhead, storm, rainbow, water.
Some of these terms would need extra research and explanation. At the end there is some extra explanation about each form. But lends itself to further scientific inquiry on various water topics.
This book might be good to integrate science with a literacy objective.
I even learned ne...more
Apr 09, 2012 Laura added it
Shelves: edsl-520
Locker, Thomas. Water Dance. (1997)

Annotation: There are small poems which describe all the many forms of water. Accompanying those poems are beautiful paintings of what is being described in the poem.

Themes: water cycle, nature, poetry

Ways to use with children: You could use this book when teaching the water cycle. You could also use this during a poetry lesson and ask student to write poems about another cycle found in nature.

Recommended age: 7-16
Miri
I wish so much that the design for this book had been done differently. The illustrations are gorgeous, but each page has an inch-wide sort of beige border, and that just really ruins it. If they'd gone full-page with the illustrations, they'd be absolutely striking; as it is, they sort of look like badly framed hotel art. It's really a shame, because between those illustrations and the lovely text, it could easily have been five stars.
Pynteya Bate
I love this book!!!! It takes the reader through the expedition of the water cycle by listing on each page a riddle and the painting that provides the clue to the answer which students can guess. For example:
“In thousands of shapes I reappear/ high above the earth in the blue sky./ I float./ I drift./ I am the clouds.” I think this is good way to engage students into learning and conversations about the water cycle.
Carol
Author Thomas Locker
Grade Level - 2-5

This book weaves some wonderful poetry with some beautiful pictures about different forms of water. The poems are told from the point of view of a person by using the word "I" to describe each form of water. I read it with my 5th grade students to give them a writing idea to write about something as if it were real.
Bonnie Pohlig
Amazing!! This book has choral reading written all over it - it is a splendid way to teach the water cycle and really help children become involved. It is also valuable as poetry and has beautiful pictures of nature. At the back of the book there is more factual information about the details of the water cycle. Wow, this book just really makes me so excited!!
Twee
The writing in this book is very poetic! Water comes in many forms, and many of them are mentioned in this book. This book is great as an introduction to the water cycle, or even as a review. The illustrations are wonderful and almost realistic. I recommend this book to all elementary teachers as well as literary teachers, too!
Joanie
I read this book to first graders after a lesson on forms/ mass of water (liquid, ice and melted liquid). As I read the book, I covered the answers and had students guess the type of water based on the descriptions. Students enjoyed it because it was like a game for them while they learned about water and it's many uses.
Amanda Andrews
This book has a different poem on each page with beautiful illustrations. Each poem is on a different form of water and together they form the water cycle. This would be great to use when learning about the water cycle, or different types of poetry without rhyming words.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Water Dance is about water cycle as it starts with rain until it reaches its final destination in the sky as a rainbow. The book uses words like "whooshing, roaring, and tricking" to describe the movement of water.It helps to expand children's vocabularies in an expressive way.
Shanna
Dec 04, 2007 Shanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 1-6
This book has beautiful language and a lot of great information! It talks about all of the different forms water takes, with details such as the difference of Cumulus, Stratus, and Cirus clouds. It would be great to use on a poetry unit or for a scientific study on water.
Alice
This books was suggested for Water Week so I read it. I loved it! The poetry is lovely and the pictures are just amazing (almost like they are photographs) I also like in the back it has long explanations of the pictures and their part in the water cycle!
Leah
I love Thomas Locker's books. The illustrations are simply beautiful and the stories are uncomplicated and perfect. This book follows the story of water through all its forms and at the end of the story, the water cycle is written out and illustrated.
Cheryl in CC NV
Pretty pictures, in the style of those big landscapes about conquering the American frontier, but the text was kinda poetical, kinda boring. Notes at the end to support the science of storm, lake, rain, river, etc.
Katie Lewellen
This is a book about the water cycle. This would be a perfect book to teach with a lesson about water. The illustrations are beautiful and simple. The illustrations depict the water cycle.
Rebecca
The illustrations in Locker's books are so beautiful. My kids like them for that reason alone. I have to keep this and Home on my shelf so they don't get ruined!
Jen
Beautiful picture book describing the various forms water can take with stunning illustrations. Very education book that doesn't have too much detail.
A
Enchanted illustrations bring water's many forms to life. This poetic book would be perfect alongside a study of the water cycle or weather.
Alissa
Beautiful paintings accompany a simple story about the water cycle. It could be a little more descriptive, but the pictures are amazing!
Cool
DOE and DMW have read this book together. Beautiful illustrations!! Creative and fun way to teach about water.
Maitri
we liked water dance, but cloud dance rocked.
all the different clouds names. maitri was into cloud dance.
Amy
Reading Rainbow: Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe

Bea loved looking at the oil paintings.
Melanie
Beautiful paintings and poetry create this book about water and weather.
A Hollingdale
This is a great book to read with students to introduce the water cycle.
Brittnay
Earth appreciation. Great for the water cycle and nature in general.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Thomas Locker is the illustrator of more than 30 books for children, many of which he also wrote. His books have received many awards, including the John Burroughs Young Reader Award, NCTE Notable Trade Books in the Language Arts, NSTA-CBS Outstanding Science Trade Book for Children, the Christopher Award, and others. He makes his home in a small village at the edge of the Hudson River.
More about Thomas Locker...
The Boy Who Held Back the Sea Sky Tree: Seeing Science Through Art Cloud Dance The Mare on the Hill Where the River Begins