Start by marking “Cloud Dance” as Want to Read:
Cloud Dance

Cloud Dance

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Journey across the heavens through thick cumulus clouds, wispy cirrus clouds, and wide stratus clouds as they dance through every season of the year.
Thomas Locker introduces young readers to the basic science of our natural world with brilliant illustrations and poetic prose.
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cloud Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloud Dance

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsThe Mitten by Jan BrettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Winter Children's Books
146th out of 175 books — 52 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussCurious George by H.A. ReyHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCaps for Sale by Esphyr SlobodkinaThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
Preschoolers at Second Grade Level
43rd out of 69 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jan 08, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Until the last 2 pages, titled “About Clouds” and “Types of Clouds” the book’s text seems to serve mostly as a vehicle for its illustrations. The illustrations are pretty, and somewhat informative. But I was disappointed. if the information part of the book was going to be so flimsy and also directed at children, I would have liked at least one page where clouds were in the kind of shapes where kids could guess/say what they looked like, what objects and other things they seemed to look like; th ...more
Laurie
Dec 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Short, lyrical text mentions the various types of clouds that dance through the sky; the colors and shapes and changes. The illustrations are beautiful; it reminds me of something pastoral from the European masters. A lovely tribute to clouds. I found myself wanting a bit more information about clouds and was delighted to find a scientific note in the back of the book explaining more about the different sorts of clouds.
Kalynda
The illustrations in this book inspire many memories and with those memories...stories! I loved the way they depicted our diverse and grand sky and their cloud dancers. The words were simple and artistically placed to give even more attention to the illustrations. This would be a great addition to any weather and climate unit, seasons and day/night, or days of outdoor observations.
Candice
Mar 21, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
I can remember choosing Thomas Locker's books for Ellen because of the gorgeous illustrations. This one is no exception. A picture is worth 1000 words, but the words he chooses to describe his pictures are beautiful, too. Each two-page spread has a cloud picture on one page and a few words on the facing page. "High, wispy clouds race in the autumn wind." or "Veils of mist rise in warm sunlight." The pictures are worthy of an art gallery wall - just breathtaking. At the end of the book is a page ...more
MusingMom Kris
Jan 23, 2016 MusingMom Kris rated it liked it
The illustrations are the highlight of Cloud Dance. The text is simple, a good preshcool read-aloud. The back of the book has a more detailed summary of cloud formations and technical terms to describe them. It makes a nice multi-level book to suppliment any cloud or weather study.
Theresa
Jan 08, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
cloud dance
by thomas locker
a beautiful book with descriptions and poetic descriptions of the variations of clouds in color hue and texture. leaves children with appreciation of the troposphere with descriptions and information about the formation of clouds.
Jared White
Aug 03, 2016 Jared White rated it it was ok
This book is beautiful but it's almost more of a "coffee table book" than a children's book. There isn't a story, but merely a brief description of each painting and, at the end of the book, some information about clouds.
Nanci Booher
What beautiful illustrations. This is a great book to incorporate into STEM....I think once fall hits, I will do a weather related storytime and use this book.
Garren
May 16, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
Same deal for all of Locker's books: gorgeous landscapes (skyscapes, seascapes, etc.) but the text that goes with it won't be making it to group storytime.
Luann
Sep 27, 2011 Luann rated it liked it
The text of this feels like it is written for young children, but they may not be immediately drawn to the illustrations. As an adult, I would love to have any one of the illustrations as my computer backdrop or framed and hanging on my wall! They are gorgeous paintings.

My favorite part of this book is the last two pages which contains great scientific information about clouds. I really did learn a lot there. And I particularly liked the last page which illustrated and labeled the different typ
Teri
Nov 07, 2014 Teri rated it it was amazing
Fabulous picture book. I love Thomas Locker's books. They are beautiful.
Kim
Oct 22, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
A very pleasant and calming children's book with delightful works of art.
Mckinley
Feb 10, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Lovely paintings of the sky.
Becky B
Nov 05, 2012 Becky B rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone, art lovers, kids who love beauty
Shelves: picture-books, art
This is a book illustrating some of the different ways that clouds can appear, emphasizing color and texture rather than necessarily their classification. The end of the book has further background on clouds, coloring of clouds and such for those interested. The text is simple. The illustrations in this are gorgeous. Any one of them could be framed and put on a wall. A book that any age can appreciate.
Ina
May 14, 2012 Ina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Simple text and beautiful full page illustrations describe the beauty of all types of different clouds. There is a glossary in the back with the scientific names and descriptions of clouds, but my audience enjoyed the poetic descriptions while looking at the beautiful cloud portraits.
Jamie
Dec 16, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
These are actually simple but beautiful haiku poems, and people of all ages could enjoy this. The images are spectacular. My only complaint would be a printing flaw on one of the images towards the end, but otherwise this was beautiful.
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Short lines of poetic text accompany full-page illustrations of landscapes with clouds. Also contains a question and answer section about clouds, with an illustration naming each type of cloud.
Michael Fitzgerald
Amazing illustrations, simple poetic text, and a very clear two-page appendix with all the necessary details. A model of this kind of informational picture book.
Jenna's Mom
Aug 19, 2008 Jenna's Mom rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids 2 and up
This book had lovely illustrations. Jenna (3) liked it, but I don't think she loved it. I might try it again with her when she's older.
Ann
Mar 28, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening, children
The illustrations are stunning. They can take your breath away, while learning about clouds. Both for children and adults.
Cheryl
beautiful pictures and lyrical text. I liked the facts in the back about each cloud.
Angelene Hanna
May 01, 2012 Angelene Hanna rated it liked it
Great example of "show not tell," visual imagery, etc.
Maitri
Jan 18, 2008 Maitri rated it it was amazing
just really a sweet, mellow book.
Kollao
Kollao marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Yukari
Yukari added it
Aug 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thomas Locker was one of the major American painters of the past century. In a career that spanned almost 60 years, he had over 75 solo exhibitions. His work ranged from the delicate to the monumental, but all had one thing in common: the beauty of the natural world. He had a deep appreciation for the elusive link between the human spirit and the sublime force of nature.

He spent his entire life in
More about Thomas Locker...