Cloud Dance

Cloud Dance

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Journey across the heavens through thick cumulus clouds, wispy cirrus clouds, and wide stratus clouds as they dance through every season of the year.
Thomas Locker introduces young readers to the basic science of our natural world with brilliant illustrations and poetic prose.
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cloud Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloud Dance

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsMr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert E. BarryKaty and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton
Winter Children's Books
130th out of 159 books — 25 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneCaps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Preschoolers at Second Grade Level
43rd out of 69 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Until the last 2 pages, titled “About Clouds” and “Types of Clouds” the book’s text seems to serve mostly as a vehicle for its illustrations. The illustrations are pretty, and somewhat informative. But I was disappointed. if the information part of the book was going to be so flimsy and also directed at children, I would have liked at least one page where clouds were in the kind of shapes where kids could guess/say what they looked like, what objects and other things they seemed to look like; th...more
Kathryn
Short, lyrical text mentions the various types of clouds that dance through the sky; the colors and shapes and changes. The illustrations are beautiful; it reminds me of something pastoral from the European masters. A lovely tribute to clouds. I found myself wanting a bit more information about clouds and was delighted to find a scientific note in the back of the book explaining more about the different sorts of clouds.
Candice
Mar 21, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
I can remember choosing Thomas Locker's books for Ellen because of the gorgeous illustrations. This one is no exception. A picture is worth 1000 words, but the words he chooses to describe his pictures are beautiful, too. Each two-page spread has a cloud picture on one page and a few words on the facing page. "High, wispy clouds race in the autumn wind." or "Veils of mist rise in warm sunlight." The pictures are worthy of an art gallery wall - just breathtaking. At the end of the book is a page...more
Luann
The text of this feels like it is written for young children, but they may not be immediately drawn to the illustrations. As an adult, I would love to have any one of the illustrations as my computer backdrop or framed and hanging on my wall! They are gorgeous paintings.

My favorite part of this book is the last two pages which contains great scientific information about clouds. I really did learn a lot there. And I particularly liked the last page which illustrated and labeled the different typ...more
Mckinley
Lovely paintings of the sky.
Becky B
Nov 05, 2012 Becky B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, art lovers, kids who love beauty
Shelves: picture-books, art
This is a book illustrating some of the different ways that clouds can appear, emphasizing color and texture rather than necessarily their classification. The end of the book has further background on clouds, coloring of clouds and such for those interested. The text is simple. The illustrations in this are gorgeous. Any one of them could be framed and put on a wall. A book that any age can appreciate.
Ina
Simple text and beautiful full page illustrations describe the beauty of all types of different clouds. There is a glossary in the back with the scientific names and descriptions of clouds, but my audience enjoyed the poetic descriptions while looking at the beautiful cloud portraits.
Jamie
These are actually simple but beautiful haiku poems, and people of all ages could enjoy this. The images are spectacular. My only complaint would be a printing flaw on one of the images towards the end, but otherwise this was beautiful.
Jaquoya Cothran
Cloud Dance by Thomas Locker
Grade K-1
Sky Conditions; Clouds

A great book in a lyrical format for younger children to learn about different clouds with nice illustrations of the clouds. Fun way to do a lesson with children on clouds.
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Short lines of poetic text accompany full-page illustrations of landscapes with clouds. Also contains a question and answer section about clouds, with an illustration naming each type of cloud.
Jenna's Mom
Aug 19, 2008 Jenna's Mom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids 2 and up
This book had lovely illustrations. Jenna (3) liked it, but I don't think she loved it. I might try it again with her when she's older.
Ann
The illustrations are stunning. They can take your breath away, while learning about clouds. Both for children and adults.
Cheryl
beautiful pictures and lyrical text. I liked the facts in the back about each cloud.
Angelene Hanna
Great example of "show not tell," visual imagery, etc.
Maitri
just really a sweet, mellow book.
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Micah
Micah added it
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Thomas Locker is the illustrator of more than 30 books for children, many of which he also wrote. His books have received many awards, including the John Burroughs Young Reader Award, NCTE Notable Trade Books in the Language Arts, NSTA-CBS Outstanding Science Trade Book for Children, the Christopher Award, and others. He makes his home in a small village at the edge of the Hudson River.
More about Thomas Locker...
Water Dance The Boy Who Held Back the Sea Sky Tree: Seeing Science Through Art The Mare on the Hill Where the River Begins