Start by marking “Cloud Dance” as Want to Read:
Cloud Dance

Cloud Dance

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Journey across the heavens through thick cumulus clouds, wispy cirrus clouds, and wide stratus clouds as they dance through every season of the year.
Thomas Locker introduces young readers to the basic science of our natural world with brilliant illustrations and poetic prose.
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cloud Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloud Dance

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsOwl Moon by Jane YolenDream Snow by Eric CarleWinter Candle by Jeron Frame
Winter Children's Books
144th out of 173 books — 40 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussCaps for Sale by Esphyr SlobodkinaCurious George by H.A. ReyThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold Lobel
Preschoolers at Second Grade Level
43rd out of 69 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Until the last 2 pages, titled “About Clouds” and “Types of Clouds” the book’s text seems to serve mostly as a vehicle for its illustrations. The illustrations are pretty, and somewhat informative. But I was disappointed. if the information part of the book was going to be so flimsy and also directed at children, I would have liked at least one page where clouds were in the kind of shapes where kids could guess/say what they looked like, what objects and other things they seemed to look like; th ...more
Laurie
Kathryn
Short, lyrical text mentions the various types of clouds that dance through the sky; the colors and shapes and changes. The illustrations are beautiful; it reminds me of something pastoral from the European masters. A lovely tribute to clouds. I found myself wanting a bit more information about clouds and was delighted to find a scientific note in the back of the book explaining more about the different sorts of clouds.
Candice
Mar 21, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
I can remember choosing Thomas Locker's books for Ellen because of the gorgeous illustrations. This one is no exception. A picture is worth 1000 words, but the words he chooses to describe his pictures are beautiful, too. Each two-page spread has a cloud picture on one page and a few words on the facing page. "High, wispy clouds race in the autumn wind." or "Veils of mist rise in warm sunlight." The pictures are worthy of an art gallery wall - just breathtaking. At the end of the book is a page ...more
Theresa
cloud dance
by thomas locker
a beautiful book with descriptions and poetic descriptions of the variations of clouds in color hue and texture. leaves children with appreciation of the troposphere with descriptions and information about the formation of clouds.
Luann
The text of this feels like it is written for young children, but they may not be immediately drawn to the illustrations. As an adult, I would love to have any one of the illustrations as my computer backdrop or framed and hanging on my wall! They are gorgeous paintings.

My favorite part of this book is the last two pages which contains great scientific information about clouds. I really did learn a lot there. And I particularly liked the last page which illustrated and labeled the different typ
Teri
Fabulous picture book. I love Thomas Locker's books. They are beautiful.
Kim
A very pleasant and calming children's book with delightful works of art.
Mckinley
Lovely paintings of the sky.
Becky B
Nov 05, 2012 Becky B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, art lovers, kids who love beauty
Shelves: picture-books, art
This is a book illustrating some of the different ways that clouds can appear, emphasizing color and texture rather than necessarily their classification. The end of the book has further background on clouds, coloring of clouds and such for those interested. The text is simple. The illustrations in this are gorgeous. Any one of them could be framed and put on a wall. A book that any age can appreciate.
Ina
Simple text and beautiful full page illustrations describe the beauty of all types of different clouds. There is a glossary in the back with the scientific names and descriptions of clouds, but my audience enjoyed the poetic descriptions while looking at the beautiful cloud portraits.
Jamie
These are actually simple but beautiful haiku poems, and people of all ages could enjoy this. The images are spectacular. My only complaint would be a printing flaw on one of the images towards the end, but otherwise this was beautiful.
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Short lines of poetic text accompany full-page illustrations of landscapes with clouds. Also contains a question and answer section about clouds, with an illustration naming each type of cloud.
Jenna's Mom
Aug 19, 2008 Jenna's Mom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids 2 and up
This book had lovely illustrations. Jenna (3) liked it, but I don't think she loved it. I might try it again with her when she's older.
Ann
The illustrations are stunning. They can take your breath away, while learning about clouds. Both for children and adults.
Cheryl
beautiful pictures and lyrical text. I liked the facts in the back about each cloud.
Angelene Hanna
Great example of "show not tell," visual imagery, etc.
Maitri
just really a sweet, mellow book.
Lizzy
Lizzy added it
Mar 05, 2015
Janae
Janae added it
Jan 26, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Westgold
Westgold marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Thomas Locker was one of the major American painters of the past century. In a career that spanned almost 60 years, he had over 75 solo exhibitions. His work ranged from the delicate to the monumental, but all had one thing in common: the beauty of the natural world. He had a deep appreciation for the elusive link between the human spirit and the sublime force of nature.

He spent his entire life in
More about Thomas Locker...
Water Dance Sky Tree: Seeing Science Through Art The Mare on the Hill Where the River Begins Mountain Dance