Start by marking “Hit List” as Want to Read:
Hit List

Hit List

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Published May 30th 2009 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Hit List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hit List

The Elephant Tree by R.D. RonaldThe King of Attolia by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Zombie Room by R.D. RonaldInside Out by Maria V. SnyderThe Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
Books You Wish More People Knew About
276th out of 14,236 books — 13,700 voters
Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertRemembrance by Michelle MadowComing Home by Sarah R. Yoffa
Must Buy Smashwords Books
34th out of 462 books — 450 voters

More lists with this book...

I'm already a fan of Darcia Helle's books, and 'Hit List' was just as good as the others I've read. I love the author's style of writing; the dark humour, the suspenseful plots and the unexpected twists and turns. 'Hit List' is a dark and gritty tale but it is not a depressing read. A tale dealing with the subjects of mafia style gangs, child prostitution and mental illness could easily become a disturbing read, but Helle manages to balance the story charmingly with the inclusion of a romantic s ...more
David Jarrett
The three-star rating, saying I liked this book is misleading. There are aspects of it I liked and those I did not. On the positive side, the author's characterization of a mentally ill woman, Corinne, is outstanding, demonstrating her familiarity and knowledge of the subject. In addition, one character, Vinnie by name, who was intended to be only secondary in nature is so well done that he, in my opinion, becomes the only true protagonist in the story.

On the other side of the coin, the novel is
Lots of vivid character development in this tale of intrigue and suspense. The dialog is realistic and the narrative unfolds at a steady pace, offering plenty of twists and turns. An enjoyable mystery with a satisfying conclusion!
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is one of those books that is simply impossible to put down......

Ian comes home from work one day to find his mother huddled in the bottom of the wardrobe clutching a pink baby's blanket, convinced that someone is out there, watching her.
No one is able to give Ian a reasonable explanation. The psychiatrists tell Ian that Corinne is suffering from severe memory loss, odd behavior, and paranoid delusions.
After all, who would be hiding outside watching his mother? And why?
As a last resort Ia
For a debut writer on my part I was surprised by the book. Usually when I read a new author I enjoy their writing but with this book I didn't want to put it down for all the twists and turns in it. In my opinion Ms. Helle is right up there James Patterson and Iris Johanson. She took time with the development of her characters.

It's a book about a mother and son. The mother has a traumatic episode and blocks everything out. The son hires a psychiatrist to find out the reason(s) why and what cause
The author does an excellent job with the development of the character Corrine, but I would have enjoyed the other characters more if they were more fully developed. Ian and Lucianna have great chemistry and the relationship between Ian and Corrine is touching.

Although it starts slow, the book picks up toward the end. The author explains the mysteries, but everything comes together too fast for me…it felt choppy and incomplete.

“Hit List” is the November book-of-the-month for our Psychological T
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Like everybody else, I have my favorite detective novel authors: Dan Brown, Anne Stuart, Robert B. Parker (only his first 10-12 books or so), Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, David Baldacci, Christine Feehan and a few others.
Those among you familiar with these authors can appreciate the mastery with which they craft their books. Most of the books written by them would get 10 out of 10 from me.
When I started reading “Hit List” by Darcia Helle, I quick
LK Gardner-Griffie

What would you do if you came to visit your mother one day and found her huddled in the closet, rocking back and forth, clutching a baby blanket tightly in her hand? And how does the confused and fearful woman connect to a mafia like-gang, drugs, a baby ring, sleazy cops, and an unknown assassin? These are questions which send Ian McCormick on a quest to find out, and he's scared to death he won't figure out the answers in time.

After he found his mother, Corrine, that fateful day, Ian moves in w

Aug 13, 2009 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans, fans of female private eyes
Recommended to Michael by: Enjoyed the author's last book
Darcia Helle has given us a well told story and a lesson on dealing with a parent who has possible dementia.

Ian McCormick's mother, Corinne, has had a bad fright. Now she has gone into periods of mental withdrawal. She thinks she sees people watching her and lives in periodic denial of reality.

The psychiatrist Ian had been bringing Corinne to doesn't seem to be helping so in despiration he hires a private investigator, Lucinella "Lu" Martel.

During this time we overhear two men, Nico and one of h
Charles Weinblatt
Hit List is a thrilling story of suspense, intrigue and crime. Author Darcia Helle weaves an elaborate plot of murder, mental illness, passionate love and crooked cops. Revolving around a woman who is believed to be psychotic, Hit List is replete with action, anxiety and adventure. Helle carries the reader through a chilling escapade of crime, conspiracy, passion and homicide.

Ian’s mother, Corrine, chanting and rocking, sometimes catatonic, appears to suffer from mental illness. She presents al
Julie Powell
I was lucky enough to be given this book and, wow, it was an excellent, well written read.

Without giving away too much, I will say that this story is filled with suspense, surprises, wonderful, believable characters (good & bad)- all set within a great plot.

I particularly liked Lucianna - a good strong female lead, clever, resourceful, kind, and with a huge heart, yet down to earth enough to know what needs to be done, however distasteful.

Certainly a book worth reading if you love a fabulous
Ian's mother, Corinne, used to have a 'normal' life. Then it seems as if she has gone over the edge; curled up in a ball in her closet, babbling and paranoid. Ian has taken her to a psychiatrist but she doesn't seem to be getting better. At his wit's end, he decides to hire a private investigator after his business partner suggests it. Lucianna and her Uncle Vinnie start digging into Corinne's life. What they find will definitely surprise you. This book has many twists and turns and just when I ...more
Hit List (Darcia Helle) is a roller coaster of suspense. Ian's mother (Corinne) appears to have gone crazy, lost her mind. She has memory loss, bouts of paranoia and insists she is being watched. But Ian questions his mother's insanity.

He hires private investigator Lucianna, to find out exactly what happened that last sane night. Ian begins to find that his mother may not be the "crazy lady" she appears to be.

Just when you think you have it all figured out a new surprise pops out at you. Fast pa
Stacy Juba
I loved this book with its blockbuster premise. What do you do if your sane mother one day loses her mind? Ian hires a beautiful investigator to look into his mother's disturbing behavior. I was reluctant to put the book down, wanting to know where the story was going. Darcia Helle takes readers down a road of twists, turns and dark family secrets. The story also has a sweet romance. I didn't figure out where the plot was going, yet all the clues were there. What is the hit list and why are peop ...more
J.P. McLean
Page Turner

“Hit List” was the November book selection for the Goodreads Psychological Thrillers Group.

In “Hit List,” Ian McCormick’s mother, Corinne, suffers a psychotic break. He moves in with her to help her recover, but when Dr. Endicott, the psychiatrist he hires, isn’t able to help her, Ian hires a private investigator, Lucianna Martel, to figure out what happened to her. Sparks fly immediately between Ian and Lucianna, adding a romantic element to this tense thriller. As the mystery unfol
Georgiann Hennelly
Sanity is not something you lose, But one day something happen to Ian,s mother Corinne and she has suffered a severe memory loss, she believes someone is watching her , Ian thinks it is just delusions, But when the doctor Ian hired to help her isn,t getting any results he decides to hire a private investigator. Then things go from bad to worse. a real page turner kept my interest from beginning to end.
Brian Benson
First rate detective thriller. This gal really knows how to spin a good yarn. Helle's beautiful dark haired green-eyed private investigator Lucianna Martel (Lu), and her ex-cop uncle Vinnie, steal the show in this dynamic mystery thriller. This book has it all good guys, bad guys, dirty cops and even some romance. I didn't want to put it down. Hit List should be at the top of your reading list...B
Georgiann Hennelly
Sanity is not something you just lose one day, Corinne Ian,s mother is suffering from severe memory loss and delusions. She believes someone is watching her. But Ian never see,s anyone. So he hires Lucianna Martel to retrace his mother,s last sane day. To try to figure out what is going on has his mother stepped over the edge from sane to crazy or is someone really watching her.
Opening scene was great but quickly went down hill. Poor writing. And when Ian thought to himself something along the lines of "would there ever come a day when he wouldn't do anything to make her (Luciana) smile?" I almost threw up. He'd known her a week.... just plain silly.
Sandra McLeod
Although there's a little more violence than I usually like in my mysteries, this is still a great read! The plotting is WONDERFUL. Every time I think I know what to expect, Ms. Helle adds a new twist that takes me by surprise. Once I got into this book, I couldn't put it down!
I was going to read a number of chapters a day, starting on November 2nd, but it is now the 4th, and I have finished the book, wanting to know--what happens next. It is strange how the mother, Corinne could be sane one day, and practically babbling the next. Who or what caused it? The shrink her son took her to was making no progress. Her son Ian contacted a professional investigator, only to fairly quickly fall in love with the woman, Lucianna. Lucianna fortunately had an uncle who was very goo ...more
Linda B
Product Description
Sanity is not something you lose, like your car keys or that elusive sock in the dryer. That's what Ian believed before his mother stepped over the edge from sane to crazy. No one is able to give Ian a reasonable explanation. Corinne suffers from severe memory loss, odd behavior, and paranoid delusions. Or at least Ian had been told they were delusions. After all, who would be hiding outside watching his mother? And why? Ian hires private investigator Lucianna Martel to retrac
Belle, Magnolia
“They were outside today. I saw them. I saw them. I saw them outside today.” Corinne McCormick mumbles insanity such as this from her huddled place underneath the table, unable to break free even with the help of her son Ian and her psychiatrist, Dr. Endicott. Something in her panic, and the inability of Dr. Endicott to cure her, brings Ian to the illogical but desperate conclusion to hire a P.I. and see if there is truth to his mother’s ramblings. Are “they” out there, watching her?

Enter Lucian
The author, Darcia Helle, was kind enough to write a nice note to me in this book before sending it to me after I won it through Giveaways. Overall, I did like it. Not enough, though, to give it more than 3 stars. The characters were a tad boring; most of them were the same as anyone you would read about in any mystery/romance novel. And they seemed to just be going back and forth and back and forth. They'd have a conversation in one scene, and then, another scene would happen, and then the thir ...more
I won this book on Goodreads from the author not long ago. I was intrigued by the concept; a woman seemingly goes crazy after a traumatic event that no one else understands, but her loving son believes her delusions are real and hires a private detective to figure it all out.

I have to admit that I was not expecting too much out of this book...and I was surprised. I found the story to be well written and offered plenty of twists to keep me off balance. There is a twist or two that may be consider
Carol  MacInnis
Another wonderful book by Darcia Helle. 'Hit List' kept my attention from page one right to the end! Ian McCormick's Mother had fallen into a trance-like state that took over her. Now Ian has moved back in with his Mother to help her cope with the day to day things as well as get a psychiatrist's help. Ian, still not sure whether his Mother is seeing things or not has decided to hire a Private Investigator (Lucianna Martel) to help figure out why/how his Mother got to this state. As the story un ...more
I'd give this book a 4 but it took such a long time to pick up it's pace but once it got going (the last few chapters)it was a real page turner!
In a word Wow!
This book starts where mother seems to be losing her mind, forcing her son to move back home and wonder if he should her into an institution. How can a parent go from “normal” to a babbling child hiding in a closet in just one day? Follow Ian along while he tries to save his mother, with therapists and a private detective agency. Trust me; this book takes you places you never expect to go. There are surprises all the way to the end. This is the first book of Darcia Helle I have rea
Cathy Matthews goldshot
Great plot twists all the way to the end, definitely kept my interest!
Ian finds his mother huddled in a closet holding a baby blanket and muttering words that don't make sense. She is convinced someone is watching her and everyone thinks she is crazy. After taking her to a psychiatrist for a while without any change, he decides to hire a private detective to find out what happened to her that day. It turns out his mother isn't so crazy after all. This book has lots of twists and turns and keeps you guessing through most of the book. This is the first book I've rea ...more
  • Madness and Murder (Jackson, #1)
  • A Circle of Souls
  • Pyres
  • The Dream
  • The Concert Killer
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
  • Thalo Blue
  • Sin and Vengeance
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Ace of Hearts (DECK of CARDZ, #1)
  • Terminal Justice
  • Molly Hacker Is Too Picky!
  • Gone
  • Tear Drop (Detective Elizabeth Ireland, #1)
  • Midnight Sin
  • Sounds of Murder (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery #1)
I write because the characters trespassing through my mind leave me no alternative.

Words are my addiction. I love to read; fiction, nonfiction, cereal boxes, ingredient labels. If it has words, I'll read it.

I am originally from Massachusetts and now live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I'm married, with 2 sons, a beautiful new granddaughter, and 5 very spoiled animals.

As well as finding me here
More about Darcia Helle...

“She had one of those goofy smiles that made you wonder if she was too stupid to know that life sucks most of the time.” 7 likes