Start by marking “Ready for Anything!” as Want to Read:
Ready for Anything!

Ready for Anything!

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A warm, funny tale for little worriers At first, Raccoon thought a picnic with his friend Duck sounded like fun, but he?s having second thoughts. After all, picnics can be very dangerous. They might get attacked by bees, or fall into the river, or even run into a giant, fire-breathing dragon who lives in a cave! Yes, a picnic is a very bad idea indeed.

Luckily, Duck knows t
Published September 17th 2009 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ready for Anything!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready for Anything!

Brandy Locchetta
Just like Wimberley who worried all the time, Raccoon also worried about silly things... like a picnic. BUT, when his friend the duck helps him to work through his anxiety he finds out he can be ready for anything! This is a great book for use on the first day of school, when discussing emotions and the importance of friendship and helping others.
Michelle Nero
Aug 12, 2012 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Oh, poor Raccoon reminds me so of Scaredy Squirrel. Maybe they should be friends, er, or maybe not! Raccoon is worried about a picnic and conjures up various 'what-if' scenarios. But his friend, Duck, tries his own 'what-if." I think this would be a great mentor text for writing.
Larissa
Jun 23, 2015 Larissa rated it really liked it
Kasza, Keiko. Ready for Anything. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2009. Print. Ages 8-10. Ready for Anything is a really good book about not judging a book by it's cover. This book is a simple children's read and is easy to know and see the relevance in everyday life. It is about a raccoon and a duck who go on an adventure and who don't think that they are ready for anything, but when in reality the raccoon has a secret stash full of a picnic basket to make it seem like he is extremely prepared, i ...more
Garren
Apr 05, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
One of the better "worry" books out there. Kids were engaged when I read it. Would use again!
Katy Bennett
Silly story about two animal friends going for a picnic.
Melanie
Duck and Raccoon have planned a picnic. But all of a sudden, Raccoon doesn't want to go. What if they get stung by bees? Or they encounter a fire-breathing dragon?

Duck worries with Raccoon for a minute but then points out the positives. What if they encounter a bunch of beautiful butterflies? What if the dragon is a young one and is lonely?

Raccoon is finally convinced to have their picnic. And when Duck reveals that he's now forgotten the picnic basket, Raccoon jumps in and saves the day because
Johncady
Sep 02, 2012 Johncady rated it really liked it
Ready for Anything is a tale about two friends, a duck and a raccoon, and their plans for a picnic. They decide that so much could go wrong, that maybe they shouldnt go. Then they realize that fun things could happen too, so they decide to go. They end up forgetting their picnic basket, but the Raccoon is so over prepared that he has an extra. This story's message seems to be that we shouldn't be afraid of what bad things might happen, and instead be excited about what good things might happen.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Duck and Raccoon are planning to go on a picnic; however, Raccoon changes his mind when he decides that a picnic could be a very dangerous adventure. Duck convinces Raccoon that a picnic could be a pleasant experience, so Raccoon decides to go, but only after he gets "ready for anything," which turns out to be a very fortunate decision. Kasza's humorous illustrations playfully tell the story of two friends who are very different.
Ariel Cummins
Dec 17, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Raccoon and Duck are going on a picnic! But Raccoon lets his what-ifs get away from him and scares them both under a blanket. Luckily, Duck does a great job coming up with some sweeter what-ifs of his own.

Nothing extraordinary going on here with the text or illustrations, but a solid, dependable title nonetheless.

Excellent book to read with kids who are maybe a little overly cautious!
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: child, picturebooks
Raccoon is nervous to go on a picnic with Duck, because he can imagine all the things that could go wrong. [return][return]This was a cute story about looking at life positively. It felt very realistic. I especially liked how it shows that there can be positive points for being prepared too. [return][return]Children who worry or are anxious about new things may enjoy this book.
Kristen
Jan 26, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
As a world-class worrier, I liked how Raccoon's awful what-ifs about what could happen on a picnic were turned into potentially wonderful what-ifs, like what if the dragon we fear is in a cave is really friendly and helps us toast marshmallows? When something does go wrong on the picnic (as it inevitably does) Raccoon is prepared, showing that a little bit of worry isn't a bad thing.
Jeffrey
Dec 11, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
I loved Ready for Anything. I read it, and then immediately read it aloud to my family. We all loved it. I wish I could have read it to my daughter when she was little. We would have had so much fun with it. How can you go wrong when a raccoon and duck go on a picnic and meet a dragon? Kasza definitely does not go wrong.
Michelle
Mar 09, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
I loved it!!! I am a worrywart and I also can see many situations coming to pass...I thought it was sweet that Duck was so supportive and understanding!!! I was giggling at the end when Raccoon came out overly prepared but as parents think of your diaper bag or your overnight bag and you will definitely understand Raccoon's feelings.
Ashley Fortson
Oct 09, 2011 Ashley Fortson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a great book to show you need to be prepared for anything. The raccoon in the book was too scared to go on a picnic because he thought something bad would happen. When he finally packed enought stuff to go on the picnic, Duck forgot the picnic basket. Raccoon was prepared and had food packed.
Elaine
Dec 09, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it
Duck was looking foward to an afternoon picnic with a good friend raccoon. Raccoon became worried, running with many "what if's" in his or her mind. Great illustrations which followed the story on the bright and not so bright side of things. The children were entertained during preschool storytime.
babyhippoface
Apr 14, 2010 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
Raccoon is too much of a worry-wart to have fun going on a picnic, but Duck eventually manages to get him moving, only to get to their picnic site and discover Duck forgot the food. I was disappointed in this Kasza book because I really enjoy her other titles. This one just seemed to be missing spark.
Jenna
Dec 04, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing
This books is one of my favorite picture books. It explores the "What If?" concept. Duck and Raccoon has been planning a pinic but just as they are ready to leave, Raccoon becomes fearful. What if it rains? What if there are bees? In the end Duck convince Raccoon with his own set of "What Ifs."
Kelly Thevenot
Ready for Anything is a cute children's book about friendship between a raccoon and a duck. The racoon is scared and worried about going on a picnic and duck makes him feel better by telling him everything will be okay. This would be a good book to just read to a group of children.
Brittney
Oct 30, 2011 Brittney rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
"Ready for Anything!" is a cute picture book. Raccoon is nervous about going on a picnic, but Duck comes to the rescue and tries to snap him out of it. This would be a great book to have in a classroom for students to read for fun or to talk about friendships.
Sandybear76
cute story. Duck and Raccoon are going for a picnic when Raccoon thinks of reasons they should not go. Duck tells reasons why the wild things Raccoon thinks up will not happen. Raccoon saves the day when he is ready for anything at the end of the book.
Jess Brown
In this book, one animal is always afraid of the worst, and the other (more glass half-full) anticipates the best. Ultimately, this book encourages kids to "be prepared" but not to overly worry about situations. Age appropriate for preschool/early elementary
Angie
Mar 29, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Oh how cute. I am going through my bookshelf finding books to donate to our PTA sale. Picked this one up once but ... Eeek! Hadn't ever actually read it until today. Now I want to keep it to remind myself "what ifs" shouldn't rule everything.
Brittany
Apr 16, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
"Ready for Anything" is a good title and is a statement that can allow children to have preparation for anything. Also funny humor is illustrated in this story and will allow the audience to predict what is going to happen next in the story.
Angie
Who knew getting ready for a picnic could be so much work or so dangerous? This is a great picture book that illustrates preparedness and looking on the bright side of things. Not only does it have a good lesson but it is a good story.
Class 305
Jul 19, 2012 Class 305 rated it really liked it
Great book to discuss both being ready and prepared but also letting go and just having fun. It can elicit a good discussion about having a happy medium. It also touches on friendship and how 2 different people can be good friends.
Robin
Aug 13, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a book that was on one of the award winner lists recently so I wanted to take a look at it. It's a great story of friendship, sharing feelings and overcoming fears. I've used it for story time a few times and it was a big hit.
Tiffany Neal
Aug 05, 2011 Tiffany Neal rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. A worrywart friend, always looking at the glass as half empty up against the positive attitude friend who can always find the good. Super cute and good lesson in keeping negative thoughts at bay.
Boni
Dec 17, 2009 Boni rated it liked it
I loved the first two-thirds of this book (great concept and execution), but I wasn't crazy about the ending. I think it could have gone a different direction, or ended earlier, to maintain the charm of the beginning in some way.
Heather
Mar 02, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
What do you get when a pessimist and an optimist are friends? Cute idea for a story... foreseeing the future from both view points. We enjoyed how prepared for everything raccoon was before they headed out on their picnic.
Tricia
Nov 04, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
raccoon's overactive imagination prevents him from wanting to have a picnic with friend duck. when they finally embark, they forget something vital to their picnic. luckily, racoon is "ready for anything". go figure.
  • Me With You
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • Sloppy Joe
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Tiny Rabbit's Big Wish
  • Grumpy Cat
  • Andrew Drew and Drew
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • I Don't Want a Posh Dog