Start by marking “Six Graves to Munich” as Want to Read:
Six Graves to Munich

Six Graves to Munich

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,415 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
In the final days of the Second World War, Michael Rogan, an American intelligence officer, is tortured by a group of seven senior Gestapo officers who need to discover the secrets he alone can give them. Ten years later, when he has recovered from the appalling injuries he suffered, and determined to revenge the death of his wife at the hands of the same men, he begins a ...more
Paperback, UK Airports edition, 256 pages
Published May 7th 2009 by MacLehose Press (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Six Graves to Munich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Graves to Munich

Kelly Thompson
I did a book report on Mario Puzo's "The Godfather" when I was in sixth grade. I'd purchased it at a rummage sale, unbeknownst to my parents, who became aware of my ownership of it when the nuns at the Catholic school I attended waved it in their faces during a conference about the aforementioned book report. I have been a Puzo fan ever since but only recently read "Six Graves to Munich" when I received it as a gift. It is clearly Puzo's early work but there's no denying even at this early junct ...more
Jyoti Babel
The blrub from back cover of the book gives an idea of what the story is about.

Seven Men

Seven Gestapo officers tortured Captain Michael Rogan, murdered his pregnant wife, and left him for dead. After the end of the second World War they escaped to new lives and identities.

Ten Years

Rogan has spent the last ten years recovering from his horrific injuries and planning his revenge. Now he is back, and on the hunt for the Nazis who ruined his life.

One Woman

But ther is one problem, he has met and fall
Ther
Mar 09, 2011 Ther rated it did not like it
I knew there was something wrong when I'm already in the middle of the book and I still can't seem to symphatize with the main character's plight. The plot of the book was interesting but I didn't enjoy reading this book much. I've read Puzo's other books like Godfather and Sicilian. In comparison, this book does not seem to be as well written as those two.

This book was written under Puzo's pseudonym Mario Cleri. They should have just kept it under Cleri and not associate it with Puzo.
Rumarie
Jul 01, 2011 Rumarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Mario Puzo's first novel originally published under another name. It's a fast paced vengeance thriller. A great little read. Michael Rogan was captured, tortured and left for dead by 7 nazi agents in WWII. Now it is 10 years later and Michael is looking for revenge and he will stop at nothing to get it.
stan
Nov 18, 2009 stan rated it did not like it
I Have just finished this novel. It is very surprising that this is the Same author of The Godfather. It is badly written with a bad story. very disappointing I do not recommend
Michal Skrivan
Mar 09, 2014 Michal Skrivan marked it as to-read
Sedm katů z Mnichova
V roce 1967, dva roky před vydáním legendárního Kmotra, publikoval Mario Puzo pod pseudonymem Mario Cleri prózu nevelkého rozsahu, v níž se podruhé – po debutové Temné aréně – vrátil do poválečného Německa. Její hrdina, Michael Rogan – bývalý kapitán americké rozvědky s geniální pamětí a schopností luštit šifry, chycený gestapem ve Francii a poté několik měsíců mučený v Mnichově společně se svou manželkou Christine, která výslechy nepřežije – se deset let po válce octne na st
Damian Reyes
Apr 20, 2014 Damian Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Después de leer algunas reseñas en goodreads me había desanimado un poco a leer el libro, pero una vez que empiezas no paras hasta terminarlo, en primer lugar porque es pequeño, y en segundo por que la historia te atrapa de lleno un thriller de venganza que resulta una entretenida lectura.
Kate
May 29, 2016 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was poor. i understand why mario puzo wrote it under a pseudonym. it could have been great and i can see how he got to be so wondeful of an author but, i basically fiished this in one sitting on a plane i ess then four hours. the female main character is MASSIVELY simplfiied and sexualised and just a poor representation of a realistic reality-VERY unusual for puzo. so yea, if you havent read it dont stress JUST because you want to read all his stuff, because its not up to his ususal st ...more
Christina
Feb 03, 2012 Christina rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed The Godfather, so when I found out Mario Puzo had written a book that takes place in Germany, I had to give it a try. The book is quite short, a novella really, and was his first book, I believe, published under a pseudonym. It seemed too short. It could have used another hundred pages to flesh out the story.

There were also inaccuracies about Germany that annoyed me (although may not annoy the average reader). I'm pretty sure the Hofbräuhaus in Munich would not be serving Weissw
Matt
Feb 15, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is clearly an early Puzo book. The man is a master of setting up elaborate clandestine plans to kill people and executing them to perfection. It is a good thing he was just a writer. The foundation for his later books is in Six Graves to Munich, but his writing takes a huge leap between this and The Godfather. If you loved the Godfather and you like the organized crime kind of books, this will be an enjoyable read. It is also very short and easy to fly through.

This the story of Mike (unfort
Suspense Magazine
Apr 24, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
A longtime fan of one of the most recognizable and much loved authors of our time, I was overjoyed when I received “Six Graves to Munich”. This hidden treasure—written prior to “The Godfather” fame—was sadly published under a pseudonym and throughout the years was forgotten. While most of the Puzo collection brilliantly focuses on the trials and tribulations of crime families, “Six Graves to Munich” is written in a different time and has a softer, although much more painful, undertone.
Once a ma
Seth
Nov 24, 2013 Seth rated it really liked it
This was a story which may have served as the inspiration for others, and yet it was placed shelved among the obscure for over 40 years. A fast paced and interesting read, its filled with the magic, excitement, ambiance and tragedy that few writers could have delivered better than Puzo. Thomas Harris truly ought to be ashamed of himself for his inferior similar story (Hannibal Rising)
There is not a whole lot of description for most characters, but he gives you enough about them to appreciate th
Tyler
Sep 15, 2014 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Though short, Six Graves to Munich, is a powerful read. Puzo grabs the reader by the crotch from the start and does not let go until the end. More of a novella than a novel it nevertheless packs a serious wallop. I loved the action and suspense, and even though I pretty much knew how the story would end Puzo's masterful storytelling kept me utterly glued until the final dramatic page. Bravo Mr. Mario Puzo. You have yet to disappoint me.
Paige Dashiell
It was fast paced and there was a lot of action, but there were also a lot of details that were too unbelievable. At times I felt like there were a lot of contradicting facts being presented. I felt like the author wanted his main character to have a superhuman quality, which was unnecessary to the story.

Overall I still enjoyed the story and I would recommend it to people who like revenge and quick paced suspense.
Theresa
Oct 20, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
I wonder why this book has not been made into a movie. It was a thrilling, roller coaster ride of one man's revenge against 6 men who tried to kill him during WWII, along with his pregnant wife. He survived, but his wife and unborn child did not. He waited 10 years, planning his revenge and gradually pulled off the murders of all the SS Men involved. Great movie stuff!
Mark
Apr 29, 2012 Mark rated it it was ok
Add this kind of book to the list of genres I seem to have outgrown. In high school and college, I went through my science fiction and fantasy phase. I tried reading some science fiction recently and couldn't get past the fourth or fifth page. In my 20's I went through Follett and Ludlum. Now, I read this book and it drives me slightly bonkers. Yes, it kept me going enough to want to finish and see how it ended and the little twist at the end was certainly a surprise. But, I'd love to read one o ...more
George Mnatsakanyan
May 18, 2013 George Mnatsakanyan rated it it was amazing
I chose "Six Graves To Munich" by Mario Puzo because I have read another book written by him and I really enjoyed his writing. This book takes place right after World War 2. Michael Rogan was captured and tortured by some Nazi soldiers. When the war ends they let Michael Rogan go and now Michael wants revenge on the Nazis. He travels to Munich, Germany and on the way he has some hardships while killing the Nazi soldiers even though he has been planning his attack for 10 years. I really enjoyed r ...more
Gonzalo Oyanedel
May 22, 2016 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La venganza como móvil suele entretener si se lleva por rumbos interesantes. Mario Puzo consigue entretener sin pausa en un relato de premisa manoseada y predecible desenlace gracias a su habilidad narrativa y brillante construcción espacial. No hay engaños no falsas promesas en el viaje que Rogan - el soldado estadounidense dado por muerto tras una larga tortura - realia diez años después para vengarse de sus crueles verdugos. Muy grata.
Shonaigh Mudie
Jan 14, 2013 Shonaigh Mudie rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this, quite different to what I usually read. It is the search for revenge and redemption. Driven by the loss of his wife and unborn child and his own punishment torture. Michael, desires to get them back for the pain they caused. It is a pretty dark book but engaging all the same. Story is easy to follow. The book itself is very short. Michael travels around Europe seeking out his targets. These are bad men, men of a position that has allowed them to escape legal punishment for war crim ...more
Gilbert G.
Nov 15, 2015 Gilbert G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book for 99% of it but then the end was dry and anti climatic. I expected more for an ending. Sorry, the majority was really good but then alas the last couple of pages left me cold. Sorry if I ruin this for anyone!!!!!
Petr Milan
Jun 07, 2015 Petr Milan rated it really liked it
Šesť mŕtvych na ceste do Mníchova.
Vynijakúce napísaný napínavý príbeh. Napriek priamočiaremu deju a dvom dejovým odbočkám, ľahko predvídanému záveru bolo ťažké knihu odložiť a čítať knihu na viac krát.
Marlene
Jan 04, 2016 Marlene rated it liked it
Like the Godfather, this is a fast-moving novel complete with gory details. The victims are former Nazis rather than Italian Mafia foes, but the pace and characters are just as compelling.
Claudia
Oct 02, 2014 Claudia rated it liked it
Es el segundo libro que leo de Mario Puzo, por lo tanto no me veo en la capacidad de juzgar su manera de escribir, pero este libro tiene similitudes en cuanto a temática como lo es El Padrino, y en base a eso puedo decir que no es lo mejor que he leído, un poco lento, y simple, y no tiene esa magia que envuelve El Padrino.
metaphor
Dec 29, 2015 metaphor rated it liked it
Shelves: mario-puzo
But in the years afterward his fabulous memory spared him nothing. It repeated his agony second by second, over and over again. He suffered a thousand separate nightmares.
Whitnie
Jan 31, 2014 Whitnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. A great writer. I am really looking forward to reading The Godfather now. I felt the ending was a bit rushed and I thought it would have been a little different but loved the sorry and would recommend
Senthilprabhu
Jan 30, 2016 Senthilprabhu rated it did not like it
Its better be called as a book by Mario Cleri, rather than being called as a book from the author of The Godfather.
Betsy Lavadia
Jan 18, 2015 Betsy Lavadia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
short and sweet.
it was exciting down to the last page.

i should read more books by him.
Adam
Apr 30, 2016 Adam rated it liked it
A very exciting tale of revenge, but not as fascinating as Puzo's tales of the Mafia.
Dawn Garlich
Feb 05, 2015 Dawn Garlich rated it it was amazing
Written by a young Mario Puzo, sharp and easy read. Compelled to finish book in one setting.
Naomi
Jul 11, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending is garbage, but it's still entertaining for a quick afternoon read.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine my new edition with the original book 2 8 May 25, 2014 12:09PM
Question? 1 15 Apr 26, 2010 04:29AM
  • The Godfather's Revenge
  • The Revolt of Gunner Asch
  • A Gathering of Saints
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • The Alibi Club
  • The Psychopathic God
  • The Young Hitler I Knew
  • The Widow Killer
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more
More about Mario Puzo...