Start by marking “Being Strategic: Plan for Success; Out-think Your Competitors; Stay Ahead of Change” as Want to Read:

STRATEGY? TACTICS? CONFUSED? How many times have you sat in a meeting and heard someone use the word "strategic?" As in: "We're not being very strategic about X." or "We need a strategic plan for project Y." And, if your organization is like most, everyone in the meeting nods wisely, the meeting drones on, people endlessly debate how to approach the situation at hand, with ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Being Strategic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Strategic

Gene Babon
Oct 03, 2012 Gene Babon rated it liked it
Shelves: strategy
Strategy is one of my favorite topics. This book offers a solid definition of strategy and presents an effective road map to follow. The delivery, however, would be better served in a workshop format.

Here's the definition:
Being strategic means consistently making those core directional choices that will best move you toward your hoped for future.
Here's the road map:

!. Clarify What Is
2. Envision What's the Hope
3. Face What's in the Way
4. Determine What's the Path

The author uses the idea of buildi
Julie
I read this book for a long time before giving up. It was like a personal goal to keep reading, but alas, I have failed myself.

The beginning of this book is interesting and gave me some things to think about. It was also really circumlocutious. Every list, diagram and introductory road map was much longer and more confusing than it needed to be. Like, "First, do this, second, this... eighth, and twelve, and then, and then." So, by the middle of the book, the unnecessary repetition was too much a
Steve Semler
Mar 16, 2015 Steve Semler rated it really liked it
Absolutely wonderful and practical. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for career or business strategy help. Erika tells this in a conversational business book way that I find very effective. It is a practical workbook, as well; do the thinking and practicing and you WILL build skill in being strategic!

I would like to give this 4.5 stars (and I may up my rating). For me, having read through a fair amount of "classic" business strategy and strategic thinking books and leadership books,
Ron
May 07, 2010 Ron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre. Like every other book on strategy, very linear in it's thinking and never deals with where strategy actually has to come from. In other words, strategy starts with ideas. So how do you come up with good ideas for strategy? Doesn't say. Does talk about getting clear on both the challenge and your current reality first, which is important, but all strategy books say the same thing and never get to the hard part.

Boring.
Joe
Jan 27, 2014 Joe rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry, dminlsf
It's simple and clear. It offers a helpful strategic process. I even used it to map out some strategic steps for me going forward. But I keep one major caveat in place ... for people of faith, strategic thinking isn't about getting to an end, it's about getting us moving. As a friend says, "God's guidance is directional, not terminal."
Felicia Middleton
Jan 10, 2015 Felicia Middleton rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-halted
Good book so far. Many books on strategic planning review the definition but do not walk you through the process. This book takes an individual through a practical process of strategic planning.
The 'Castle on a Hill" stories are a bit much but overall, a decent, worthwhile read.
Aga Artka
I thought the book gave a useful guide to implementing more strategic approach to problem solving. A bit too corporate-driven at times, but still useful.
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2016
Erika Andersen
Jan 21, 2011 Erika Andersen rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Diane
May 29, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
It taught me the difference between strategy and tactics. Surprised me. Worth the read.
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Emeldah Suwandi
Emeldah Suwandi rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2012
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Lisa Jaenisch
Lisa Jaenisch rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Wayne Hedlund
Wayne Hedlund rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Alison Fotsch
Alison Fotsch rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Carol M.
Carol M. rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Ety Puspitasari
Ety Puspitasari rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Qiana Williams
Qiana Williams rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Carlos Lopez
Carlos Lopez rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2012
Sandeep Nuchikat
Sandeep Nuchikat rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Janice Kranz
Janice Kranz rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2015
Rynosaurus
Rynosaurus rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2014
Rita Amaral
Rita Amaral rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Since 1980, Erika Andersen has developed a reputation for creating learning and change processes and programs uniquely tailored to her clients’ challenges, goals, and culture. She and her colleagues at Proteus International offer practical methods and skills for individuals, teams, and companies to clarify and then achieve their hoped-for-future.

Much of her recent work has focused on organizationa
More about Erika Andersen...