Wee Gillis

Wee Gillis

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A Caldecott Honor Book by the creators of the beloved Story of Ferdinand

Wee Gillis lives in Scotland. He is an orphan, and he spends half of each year with his mother's people in the lowlands, while the other half finds him in the highlands with his father's kin. Both sides of Gillis's family are eager for him to settle down and adopt their ways. In the lowlands, he is tau...more
Published May 30th 2006 by NYR Children's Collection (first published 1938)

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick Clack Moo by Doreen Cronin
Caldecott Honor Books
79th out of 238 books — 131 voters
The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
294th out of 324 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Misty
I picked up this one last month when the kids and I were learning about the United Kingdom. The books centers on a Scottish orphan boy (Wee Gillis) who spends half of the year with his mom’s relatives in the lowlands herding cattle and half the year with his father’s relatives in the highlands stalking stags. The ‘highlanders’ and the ‘lowlanders’ don’t get along and eventually Wee Gillis is told he must decide which will be his permanent home. In the end Wee Gillis doesn’t join either of them,...more
Luann
This is one of the earlier Caldecott-honor books. I didn't expect to like it much as I thumbed through it before I read it. I thought it would be just okay. But as I read the story and studied the illustrations, I started to really like it! I like the solution that Wee Gillis found to his problem of choosing whether to be a Lowlander who calls cows or a Highlander who stalks stags. While the illustrations at first don't look to be very remarkable, I enjoyed the attention to detail - particularly...more
Kirei
Wee Gillis lives in Scotland, but has a mother from the lowlands and a father from the highlands. Each side of his family tells him to do the opposite. How can he reconcile the different parts of his life? He takes the best of both sides.

It is all in black and white. I hope kids today don't find it too old-fashioned and long, beause this book is a treasure.
Miriam
A little boy of mixed Highland and Lowland Scottish parentage spends alternating years with the two families, learning the respective merits of cow-herding and stag-hunting, and coincidentally strengthening his lungs.
Sarah Sammis
Wee Gillis caught my eye at my local library. It was short, colorful and a Caldecott Honor book (1939). As it's only 80 pages and mostly a picture book, I snatched it up and read it that night.

Wee Gillis is a boy stuck in the middle of two different Scottish cultures. One parent is from the Lowlands where his family herds cattle. The other parent is from the Highlands where they stalk stags. When he is orphaned, he has to pick a family and a lifestyle.

Gillis learns how to herd cattle and how to...more
Lorna
1939 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: When Wee Gillis takes the bagpipe and makes a sound for the first time.

Favorite line: "They walked and walked not saying a word, down through the valleys and up over the hills, until they found just the right spot for deciding."

Kid-appeal: From the writer and illustrator team behind "The Story of Ferdinand." I think kids will appreciate the imperfect Wee Gillis and how he finds his true calling and place in the end.
Crystal
1939 Caldecott Honor

I had the feeling that I had read this many years ago. It was like meeting an old acquaintance and not quite knowing their name, but remembering random things about them. It's great that he is able to learn and grow from both situations and the blending of the families brings a new talent to fruition.

The illustrations were certainly distinctive.
Dolly
Feb 07, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining folktale from Scotland. We enjoyed the story and we liked that Wee Gillis's decision was a good one for both sides of his family, and one that suited him well too. The narrative is short, with just a few short, simple sentences on each page. And the black and white illustrations are humorous and nicely detailed. We enjoyed reading this book together.

interesting quote:

"They walked and walked not saying a word, down through the valleys and up over the hills, until they fou...more
Krista Stevens
Won a Caldecott. Written and illustrated by the same men who wrote and illustrated "The Story of Ferdinand the Bull". Just didn't grab me. The illustrations only match the story and do not go beyond them as the ones in Ferdinand did. The conflict is resolved by with a deus ex machine insertion - unexpected and ultimately unsatisfying as that is usually not the way people make decisions about great life events. I fail to see the appeal.
Rachel
I had never heard of this book until I picked it up for my Caldecott Challenge, but I had heard of the author and illustrator. They most famously have worked together for the the book "The Story of Ferdinand," which I read a month or so ago. This book won a 1939 Caldecott Honor and so far it is my favorite Caldecott book that year. Wee Gillis is the story of a young boy whose mother is from the Lowlands of Scotland and whose father is from the Highlands. Every year he either spends tending cattl...more
Josiah
This is a good Munro Leaf story, but what really drew me to first pick out this book was that it was illustrated by the legendary Robert Lawson, and...
WOW. WOW. WOW. I have seen some truly stunning work come from the illustrator's pen of Robert Lawson, but this, in my mind, surpasses it all. His rendering of the rugged Scottish landscape was beyond what I thought could be achieved in two dimensions, and the breathtaking detail in some of the pictures nearly blows my mind. This, right here, is...more
Snorkle
I didn't find this story very interesting, it wasn't one of those books that you'd want to read over and over again and I found myself bored more then once during this story. The illustrations were sometimes humorous, but most of the time I thought they were a little too detailed, too many lines. I didn't care for this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Samantha
Wee Gillis must choose whether he will be a Lowlander or a Highlander in Scotland. He spends years in both regions and becomes skills at the tasks of calling cows and stalking stags, but when the time comes to choose he is best fit to play the biggest bagpipes in all of Scotland with his mighty strong lungs. Illustrations are full page black and white illustrations that mirror text. Great read aloud. Must read/see.
John
Caldecott Honor Book, 1939. Robert Lawson was a busy illustrator and won many awards. His name is on the cover of quite a few early Caldecott winners.

Best line: "His real name was Alastair Roderic Craigellachie Dalhouise Gowan Donnybristle MacMac, but that took too long to say, so everybody just called him Wee Gillis.

Favorite illustration: Page 59
Kat
I loved this book as a child - from a Scottish heritage, this seemed so right, so Scottish and so funny. My mother would read it with an accent and we just howled and loved, loved, loved the illustrations. A classic. By the way, according to my father, we were Highlanders. There, that should settle any problems.
Paul
This is a finely-illustrated book about a young Scotsboy's sense of his family's competing identities (Highland vs. Lowland) and the need to find his own path. Lawson does a great job carving the craggy landscapes and faces of Scotsmen, who are mostly dour or angry but sometimes heartily amused.
Rebecca Lewitt
Awesome picture book set in Scotland. Manages to address the rivalry between lowlanders and highlanders, Cattle herding, Stag hunting and Bag-piping. Really cute and imaginative tale. We read it aloud to an 8, 10, 23, and 30 year old and it was much enjoyed by ALL!!
Jun 28, 2012 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kept
This is a book from my childhood that my mother was getting rid of; so I grabbed it and absorbed it into my own library. :D

Gillis lives alternately in the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland, developing his lung capacity.
Sarah W
My favorite illustrations are on page 27 and 65.

At times I was reminded of Sword of the Stone of all things with different people trying to get the bagpipes to play. I also liked the pages with the shaped text.
Robert
Pleasant little story about a boy forced to make a decision about his place in life, but finds his own path to destiny. The illustrations are full of detail and very well executed.
Matthew Gilbert
Okay. It is now my goal to play Wee Gillis' set of bagpipes. I really liked this book (being a piper myself), the pictures are excellent, and the story is awesome!
Relyn
Aug 28, 2011 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Ferdinand fans
Recommended to Relyn by: Munro Leaf
This is a beautifully bound and printed book. The story is simple and fun, but not excellent. I do love both the author and illustrator, though.
Terri
cute story about a boy having to make a decision about his future...black and white line illustrations

1939 Caldecott Honor Book
JoDean
Feb 16, 2013 JoDean rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: lovers of all things Scottish
Shelves: for-fun, picture-book
Fun story written in 1936 from the same team (Munro Leaf and Robert Lawon) that brought us the famed Story of Ferdinand.
Sarah May
Check out my review of Caldecott Medal and Honor books at www.littlebooksontheprairie.wordpress....
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Caldecott Honor 1939 - Not exactly what I was expecting. Fun but so different than a picture book of today.
Molly
The illustrations in this book are great and the story is very cute. I think it is a fun book.
Mckinley
Fun one. Wondered what my nephew would like of it. Because of what he does decide.
Watoosa
It was cute but not brilliant. Worth checking out and reading but not worth purchasing.
  • Andy and the Lion
  • Fly High, Fly Low (50th Anniversary ed.)
  • April's Kittens
  • Ben's Trumpet
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • The Glorious Flight: Across the Channel with Louis Bleriot July 25, 1909
  • Alphabatics
Munro Leaf, author and illustrator of dozens of children’s books, is best remembered for his signature character, Ferdinand, the Spanish bull who preferred smelling flowers to fighting in a ring in Spain. Composed in less than an hour one Sunday afternoon in 1935, the book sparked controversy. With the Spanish Civil War raging, political critics charged that it was a satirical attack on aggression...more
More about Munro Leaf...
The Story of Ferdinand How to Behave and Why Manners Can Be Fun How to Speak Politely and Why Noodle