Start by marking “The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia, #6)

The Magician's Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #6)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  271,319 Ratings  ·  7,304 Reviews
The Narnia Chronicles, first published in 1950, remain some of the most enduringly popular ever published. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, has been translated into 29 languages! The illustrations in this book have been coloured by the original artist, Pauline Baynes. Now published with the original cover, as designed by Pauline Baynes. Polly's hand went out to touch ...more
Published 1998 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Nephew, please sign up.

TWW For me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of…moreFor me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)(less)
Aaron Toponce Check it out from the library or ask someone who has a copy, to loan it to you.

J.G. Keely
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
Manny
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
Eyebright
Mar 04, 2014 Eyebright rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: classics, 2008-books
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
Mario
Apr 08, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
I really enjoyed reading this one. Fun and fast read, and I also loved reading about how it all started. And even though I noticed a lot of connections with Christianity, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I just enjoyed the story in general.

I think this is probably my favorite, right after Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
Deborah
Feb 29, 2008 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages
Annie
Dec 12, 2015 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

Even though The Magician’s Nephew was written as the sixth book of the Narnia series, the story predates The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Seeing as this served as the prelude to the series, I chose to begin with this. Lewis himself is known to have shown a slight preference to this order of reading, rather than in the order of publication. And the reason to why I have chosen to start reading a children’s book now relates to the arrival of a very tiny human being in the Paul household, exact

Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This b
Danny Phanton
Jan 22, 2016 Danny Phanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, despierta, ama, piensa, habla!

Me gustó mucho, el libro se me hizo super rápido de leer y la historia de cómo se formó Narnia es simplemente maravillosa.

Polly y Digory son geniales, los ame muchísimo juntos, tan chicos y lindos descubriendo juntos sus aventuras y sus peleas debes en cuando, me encantaron.(view spoiler)

Muy entretenido, fácil de leer y que te va ade
AnnaMarie
Oct 21, 2007 AnnaMarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 10, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos group
Shelves: childrens, series
I really liked how C. S. Lewis imagined how those things that he earlier introduced in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe came into existence: the kingdom of Narnia, the professor, the witch, the wardrobe and the lamp-post. Wiki says that Lewis wrote this right after publishing that first book (in order of publication) but it took him 6 years to finish it. That's probably the reason why this became Book 6 (again in order of publication).

I am glad that I've read this as my third book and not th
Kimberley doruyter
this one should really be read before the others.
it's a wonderful book to read to your children and give them a love for books for life.
Luke Taylor
So what is The Magician’s Nephew?

description

What is the sunrise? What is the miracle of spring surviving winter? What is the shape-shifting of the moon or the sound of fresh snow fallen upon the earth?

You might just say it's Creation.

Or you might say it’s magic.

So I say, as a writer and a man who will forever be bound to the incessant need to communicate what I see (imaginary or otherwise) through the use of written words, that it is the magic of creation; that beautiful moment of spontaneous freedom so cl
Joca
Jan 02, 2015 Joca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um dos meus objetivos para 2015 era ler "As Crónicas de Nárnia" e comecei o ano logo super entusiasmada para o fazer, especialmente porque a Cata (Páginas Encadernadas), a Jojo (Os Devaneios da Jojo) e a Mary (Mary Red Hair) me estão a acompanhar!

Sempre adorei todos as adaptações destas histórias para cinema e estava bem curiosa para saber como seriam as originais.

Decidimos ler por ordem cronológica, por isso a primeira história foi "O Sobrinho do Mágico". Surpreendi-me desde logo pela escrita d
Micheline
Well isn't this a pleasant surprise! I should explain:I have been struggling for quite awhile with this series. Having not gone to an English speaking school, I never read The Chronicles of Narnia growing up. I have to admit I discovered the film versions first. Then,I attempted to read it right after 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' came out, but at that time, I had a hard time with C.S.Lewis' style. He tends to constantly insert the author’s voice, and I found it broke the fantasy bubb ...more
Apokripos
Mar 18, 2012 Apokripos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C. S. Lewis and Kid's Fiction
Recommended to Apokripos by: the "Voice"
The Creation of Narnia
(A Book Review of The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis)

For readers who have started their journey in the magical land of Narnia by means of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (and subsequent books in the series following the original order by publication), one can’t help but wonder how had this fantastical realm ruled by a majestic lion and inhabited by talking animals, fauns, dryads and naiads, along with equally ghastly creatures, came to be.

Previous instalments woul
P
May 18, 2015 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
หยิบขึนมาอานดวยความรูสึกทีวาตองเบือ ตองงวงๆแน เพราะนีเปนวรรณกรรมคลาสสิคทีแฝงไปดวยคำสอนทางศาสนามากมาย แตทีไหนได...แคหนาแรกกดูดเรากลับไปยังวันวานเกาๆทีคุณยายนังอานหนังสือนิทานใหฟังในวันทีฝนตกปรอยๆ(ความรูสึกเรามันเปนแบบนันจริงๆนะ) เราชอบเสียงในการเลาเรืองของลูอิสมากๆ มันคลาสสิค มันชัดเจน มันทำใหเราคลายๆวามองทังองครวมของเรืองผานมุมกลองทีคอยๆแพนแลวขยายใหญขึนเรือยๆ เราวามันเจงนะ...เพราะไมคิดวาแคตัวอักษรมาเรียงๆกันจะทำใหเรารูสึกไดมากมายขนาดนี

The Magician's Nephew แฝงไปดวยคำสอนทางศาสนาคริสต ทีเราวามันชั
Ziba
Nov 19, 2015 Ziba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Alice jumping in and out of her rabbit hole, with the Ring of Mordor at her disposal where she could transport herself between space and time interspersed with the formation of Noha's Ark -on land - that's pretty much the Magicians Nephew for you. I loved it. And knowing where that magical wardrobe from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe comes from was amazing.
Xime García
Jan 31, 2015 Xime García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reseñados
ASLAN TE AMO, SÉ MI MASCOTA, TE DARÉ TODAS LAS MANZANAS PLATEADAS QUE QUIERAS ok, no.

description

Fue una relectura preciosa. No puedo creer que hace ocho años este libro no me gustaba, incluso no logré terminarlo. ¿Cómo es que no pude gustar de esta historia? La forma de narrar de Lewis es sencilla y a la vez poética. Describe las situaciones más mágicas de manera que uno pueda sentirlas a flor de piel. Fue fácil sumergirme en estos mundos fantásticos que Polly y Digory visitaban, fue más sencillo que imag
Ferdy
May 15, 2013 Ferdy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really DULL - the writing, the story, the main characters were all utterly boring. It was a struggle to get through so short a book - I honestly thought it would never end.

The protagonists, Polly and Digory, had very little personality — they've got to be two of the blandest characters I've ever read. Them talking like adults instead of like kids didn't help matters… Maybe all kids back in the day sounded like that? Their adventures and discoveries in other worlds should have been at least somew
David Sarkies
Nov 22, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: fantasy
Narnia's Creation Myth
8 August 2013

I simply love the writings of C.S. Lewis. Okay, I may not necessarily agree with everything he writes (and I would be an idiot if I did) but I have always found his works, whether they are children's books (such as this one) or deep theological tracts (such as The Weight of Glory) to be incredibly well written, almost as if he were a master of the English language. In fact as I read this particular work it simply struck me how well he was able to use the Engli
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Pure enchantment. It's nice when you get old enough to start reading fairy tales again.

This is a prequel, meant to be read before the others in the series, but I had never read it. Now I know why there is a lamppost in Narnia, and why the wardrobe is the way to reach Narnia, and how Jadis the Witch ended up there accidentally, and all manner of other important stuff. I have to admit I got a little sniffly at the end there when the origin of the wardrobe was explained.

I thought the dialogue in t
Evan Leach
The Magician’s Nephew was the sixth Narnia book to be published, but the first chronologically. It tells the story of Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer’s trip to Narnia in the year 1900. Over the course of the story, a number of questions about Narnia are answered, as the children witness Narnia’s creation and learn the origin of the White Witch.

img: Narnia 1

I first read these books when I was around 10 years old or so, and I am re-reading them as part of my 2016 reading project. I don’t remember this book maki
Stepheny
Mar 02, 2016 Stepheny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5

*shrugs*
Raoofa Ibrahim
Jun 12, 2016 Raoofa Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-authors
actual rating:4.5
The book is divided into two parts:
1) discovering the rings: yellow and green.. one to another world and the other is to go back to your own world.
description
2)discovering Narnia: it was a bit of Adam and eve story.. well "a bit" is underrated word, it actually resembled the Adam Eve story! And that's not a strange thing because C.S lewis was known as religious author and he was a philosopher.. So surely he meant that "coincidence"
Aslan:God
Narnia: earth
The outer rim: heaven
The witch: sna
Rita
Não estava à espera de gostar tanto deste livro, porém enganei-me , este livro é tão : precioso (?)
Não sei que palavra devo utilizar para descrevê-lo, é um livro muito simples mas belo.
Eu quero dizer alguma coisa de jeito mas estou sem palavras mesmo.
Acho que a razão pelo qual gostei mesmo muito foi por estar relacionado com a Bíblia mas bem falaremos neste livrinho perfeito no vídeo das leituras do mês de Maio <3
Cheira-me que vai ser outro livro como o rapaz do pijama às riscas : irei ler,
Simona
Rating: 5+/5

"Alege-acum, străin cu armă cruntă,
Dă-n clopot și pericolul înfruptă
Sau te întreabă pân' la nebunie
Ce-ar fi urmat, ce-ar fi putut să fie." (p.49)

Cu mult timp în urmă am descoperit minunata lume a Narniei, o lume magică care îți limpezește mintea de orice, făcându-te doar să fii, să exiști, să trăiești în pace și armonie.

Nepotul Magicianuluieste prima carte din seria Cronicile din Narniade C.S. Lewis, și a apărut la Editura Arthur. Cu toate că dețin și versiunea apărută la Editura R
Cary
Mar 04, 2012 Cary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorite, 2011
Honestly, I thought I would find this book boring and uninteresting unlike the first book of the series. I have to stop at the end of first chapter because I find the story very slow and flat so I decided to try the Lion, the Witch and the Wizard first, and have a glimpse of Narnia through the adventures of the Pevensie siblings. I enjoyed the book as much as I enjoyed the movie that I decided to go back to the first book of the series and see the creation of Narnia.

My second attempt to read th
mark monday
Sep 01, 2013 mark monday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-loves
my first bookmobile book. I remember the horrible old man in the bookmobile looked at my library card and asked me "Is that a Pollack name?" and I just looked at him because I didn't know what that even was. later I read the book and developed a long-lasting crush on the villainess. poor villainess, all she wanted to do was rule all of time and space and envelop everything in endless winter. a laudable goal!
Evelina
Aug 06, 2015 Evelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
| 4,5/5 |
Nikki
Nov 07, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Narnia books have always been some of my favourites. There's always been a magic in it for me, even now I'm twenty -- I never got to the age where I was too old for fairytales. That, or I passed through it so quickly I'm already out the other side.

I know that for a lot of people, the magic is spoiled when they find out that Aslan is really Jesus, that this first book is an allegory for Genesis, that the whole thing is full of Christian themes. I nearly always knew, though, and figured it out
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • The Iron Ring
  • Glinda of Oz (Oz, #14)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst, #2)
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • Silver on the Tree
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)

“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.” 1394 likes
“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 1373 likes