Start by marking “Childhood” as Want to Read:

Childhood is Bill Cosby country. In this entertaining and endearing book, which ranges from the warmly to the wildly funny, Cosby holds forth with the most marvellous stories he has ever told about his childhood. Here are tales you'll never forget, including his heroic quest for Spanish Fly and his day as a school crossing guard - when he fell dizzily in love that he almos ...more
188 pages
Published 1991 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Childhood

Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingBorn Standing Up by Steve MartinYes Please by Amy PoehlerAmerica (The Book) by Jon Stewart
Written by Comedians
51st out of 117 books — 71 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingDad Is Fat by Jim GaffiganYes Please by Amy PoehlerBorn Standing Up by Steve Martin
Books by Comics
104th out of 106 books — 131 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 02, 2015 Kaethe rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
After a while Cosby started getting on my nerves. His schtick got old.
I was expecting more of a laugh. It was mildly humorous. I agreed with his observation about children nowadays lacking creativity as far as free play is concerned. Too many kids play electronics and neglect their childhood. Cosby said: "I was a child when hand-eye coordination was needed only to stick your hand in someone else's eye." I loved his parents comments whenever he was up to something. His mother asked "what's that bandage for?" He answered "oh, nuthin'." "Now that's a new kinda stupid ...more
Joanne G.
It may horrify some to think that I probably culled some of my parenting skills from Cosby, but parenting is hard and one should take inspiration where one may. This book covers the battlefield of bedtime, mutual embarrassment between parent and child, and those exciting teen years. Thankfully, our children survived my mothering and turned out to be productive members of society. With quirky senses of humor...
Raina Kolluri
Jun 13, 2012 Raina Kolluri rated it really liked it
usually books dont make me actually laugh out loud, but Childhood actually forced me to cover my mouth from laughing so hard. this book is a hilarious tale of bill cosby's childhood, and although hearing his stories out loud is better, many people can't have the feel of story telling in their books. loved this book!
Aug 09, 2014 Krishna rated it it was ok
The book is a light and easy read. The writing it at a teenager or children's level novel, which is not in and of itself a bad thing. The autobiography of Bill Cosby is an interesting comical read but to me was neither great excellent or dull. It was merely mediocre. While I would not say Don't read this book...I would not recommend it either.
Jul 10, 2012 Clint rated it really liked it
I've heard many of the stories he shares through other sources (comedy tapes and as part of his comedy act). Reading them as a father though just made me chuckle a lot! His perception of children & their desire to discover is amazing. This book is an easy read, but it also encourages the thought to enjoy our own children and their mischief.
Carl Sivels
Feb 06, 2014 Carl Sivels rated it really liked it
bill cosby is the king of comedy. as you read along in this book, you read the short stories as he would say it and it constantly makes you think of how interesting it would be to know bill cosby through his adolescent years. there are some very sad parts, like when his son is murdered. but overall it is a great book that helps remind us why bill cosby is the greatest.
Jul 10, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
This was a short book on tape with Bill Cosby actually talking about his childhood. It was funny, funny. He's come a long way from life in the inner city. He did have a father that pushed him to a better life.
Jessie Bartlow
Apr 17, 2008 Jessie Bartlow rated it it was ok
I don't think Bill Cosby is a interesting writer. He didn't grab my attention in the beginning. He should stick to comedy acts.
He did have some funny stories about his childhood... but I cant really remember any good ones because they weren't that good.
Christopher Storjohann
Aug 29, 2007 Christopher Storjohann rated it really liked it
An undeniably fun read. Any fan of Cosby’s will appreciate seeing characters like Fat Albert at an early stage of development. Ultimately, a pleasant mixture of Doc Cosby’s own stories from his life and observation about the changes since then and the lunacy inherent in all of it.
Gabriel Salter
May 23, 2014 Gabriel Salter rated it it was ok
Shelves: comedy
The jokes in this book aren't quite as funny as in Cosby's book "Fatherhood" and some of them I knew from other books, but this was definitely amusing to read once or twice. Bottom line, read it and enjoy yourself, but don't buy a personal copy.
Aug 08, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
An enjoyable read, and quick, but not as good as his stand-up. I prefer LISTENING to Bill. he is a funny guy tho.
Jasmine Wilmany
Nov 20, 2014 Jasmine Wilmany rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
There's nothing "heroic" about Spanish Fly, as the blurb suggests. There's nothing funny about date rape.
Mary Lou
Aug 25, 2016 Mary Lou rated it liked it
Very humorous short stories to uplift you. Enjoyed the book.

Happy is the best way to be because then you can let other people be happy too, their own way.
Patricia Johnson
Aug 20, 2015 Patricia Johnson rated it did not like it
After reading 5 chapters I could go no further. It was narrated with typical cliches throughout. I put it down without finishing it.
George M.
Sep 05, 2012 George M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
Great memories. And who can forget stickball played with a spaldeen, where second base and homeplate were manhole covers and first and third bases were parked cars. What joy!!!
Aug 09, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
I adore his comedy….especially the childhood much of it I lived. His books are as funny as his standup routines! Recreational imagination!!
Nov 10, 2008 Sharyn rated it really liked it
I purchased this book for 25 cents - it was well worth the price! He shares stories of his childhood and stories of his children - it is quite a chuckle.
Apr 12, 2013 Alexandria rated it it was amazing
Hilarious from cover to cover. This will certainly not be the last Cosby book I read. Very cute, and kept my laughing out loud the entire way through.
Bennie rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Mike rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Winter Sophia Rose
Sep 12, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Unique & Humorous Read!
Racheal Marton
Racheal Marton rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Joel Murray
Joel Murray rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Vicki rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Vanessa rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2014
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Jeff Heider
Jeff Heider rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Joan rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • Harry S. Truman
  • I'm Back for More Cash: A Tony Kornheiser Collection (Because You Can't Take Two Hundred Newspapers into the Bathroom)
  • Delany Sisters' Book of Everyday Wisdom
  • How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published
  • Lost Mission
  • I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability
  • My Mother's Keeper
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • So Far...
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Claw Your Way to the Top: How to Become the Head of a Major Corporation in Roughly a Week
  • One More Time
  • There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say
  • Nasty: My Family and Other Glamorous Varmints
  • More Napalm and Silly Putty
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
American comedian, actor, television producer, activist, and luminary. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a vanguard role in the 1960s action show I Spy.

He later starred in his own series, The Bill Cosby Show, in the late 1960s. He was one of the major characters on the children's television show for its first two seasons, and created the humorous educati
More about Bill Cosby...