Start by marking “Ever After: A Cinderella Story” as Want to Read:
Ever After: A Cinderella Story

Ever After: A Cinderella Story

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  864 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Based on the screenplay by Susannah Grant. A prince in search of a princess, a domineering baroness and her two daughters, and an orphaned servant girl who sleeps in the ashes by the fireplace....

By the time Danielle is eight years old, her mother and father have died and she has been left in the care of her new stepmother, the Baroness Rodmilla of Ghent.Twelve years later...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published August 10th 1998 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever After

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
I Saw The Movie First Before I Read The Book
14th out of 86 books — 25 voters
Nightshade by Andrea CremerFallen by Lauren KateNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenFirelight by Sophie JordanUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Prettiest Girl On Cover
228th out of 669 books — 798 voters

More lists with this book...

Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
Sep 03, 2014 Karly *The Vampire Ninja* marked it as to-read
Shelves: buddy-reads
Buddy-read with my fellow genre explorer Heather ..... timing to be determined.

Milka
Jun 11, 2010 Milka rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Danielle has lost her parents. Her mother died when she was born and her father died when she was 8. Just before her father died Danielle was introduced to her new step mother and two step sisters. Danielle had always hoped that she could have a mother and she is very excited at first. But very soon she notices that her new step mother is not what she has wished for.

When Danielle's father dies her step mother starts to threat her like a servant. They start to call her Cinderella. Year after year...more
Mozzy Flacks
The book was mediocre at best. This is one of the few instances that I can definitely say that the movie was better than the book (but this book was based on the movie so... that might have something to do with it. Maybe we, as a society, should just stop basing things off of over things and then whiny high school students like me can stop complaining about them... or actually don't do that because I really like I, Robot and I really like the movie too so...).

Ever After, the movie, was beautiful...more
Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books

Here's the thing. This film was and remains one of my favorite films ever. The history is off but I just loved everything about it.

You have a sassy female MC who saves her Prince on more than one occasion:

Leonardo daVinci:

A bitchy stepmother:

And a Happily Ever After:

Winna
I haven't really watched the movie yet, but this book is very refreshing. Once in a while I love to sit back with a simple book that does not require much feelings and emotions. I read Memory Keeper's Daughter and my Sister's Keeper before this, so it's indeed very light compared to the other thought provoking books.

The character Danielle is very attractive. She's young, feisty and high spirited.. in short, likeable. The plot is fast, and it's a very quick read. I'd like to see the movie. I thin...more
PianoPlayer
the movie was great and this one is the same!!!
VampireNovelFan
Aug 20, 2012 VampireNovelFan marked it as to-read
Loved the movie. Hope I like the book!
Lanae Oquin
it was a really good book i love how daneil was her dads best friend but the sad thing was he had a hart attak and died thierfor her mother was dead so she was left with her new and i mean a month new step mother and her two mean and stupid step sisters lois and i had forgeten the other two but then she ment the prince and she had fellin in love with him but she had impostered her mother so he thought that she was her mom but she was not thierfor thier was the princes ball and she was invited bu...more
Kiera Beddes
Mena
Overall, I liked it. I've always been a fan of the movie, so once I stumbled upon this, I had to read it.

It could have been better if it included scenes that weren't in the original movie, like the Merlin books. I felt like I was reading a script. The fun of novelizations is reading new little details that didn't make it into the theatrical version. I have a feeling this was based on the final script rather than the screenplay.

I was also a bit dissappointed that the snarky "I'm only here for the...more
Carol Hardesty
Okay, I'm kind of cheating with this one since it's a movie novelization. But I read it as an Accelerated Reader book in my school library, so I'm counting it as a book. Now on with the review. "Ever After" is tied with "Ella Enchanted" as my favorite Cinderella story, which is ironic since they're polar opposites. ("Ella Enchanted" being the fantasy extravaganza, "Ever After" being the historical romance.) I guess the reason I love it so much is because it's a fairy tale update DONE RIGHT. It c...more
Lynzee
The best part is that the movie is word for word the same as the book. That's why the movie is so great! I loved it, as always. Really quick read. Took me less that 2 hours.
Samma Lynne
Sad face. This book didn't do the movie any justice at all.
Lori
This is one of those books written to fulfill a contract and nothing more sadly. There was so much potential to fill in details, for instance, on the relationship between Danielle's stepmother and the two sour-faced women in the court (I've never caught their names). The looks they give her when she and her daughters show up at court towards the end of the story suggested interesting interactions had occurred. Other opportunities were available but never followed up upon either.

Still, I like the...more
Maysaloon Abu-Zaglan
i like the new version of Cinderella Story and the adventure beneath all this suffering ..
the Disappointment of having a mean step mother along with a Jealous step sister makes her life more difficult , but the destiny give her the most beautiful gift the love of a prince appreciated and loved her to live finally happily ever after :)
Lillian
I've seen the movie so I thought it would be nice to get more into the characters, like I did with the novelization of Penelope. However, even though I didn't hate Henry as much as I did in the movie, it still wasn't stellar. Perhaps if I read this book before I saw the movie it would be a good experience.
Helmisade
OK, this book is the only one in my shelf that I consider a guilty pleasure. It's poorly written and meant for preteen girls, but it's such a lovely little fantasy romance!

If anyone is really interested, I recommend the movie. It's much better plus there's Anjelica Huston! She's always awesome.
Nhi
This book is based on the film/screenplay or whatever you want to call it. If you adore the movie, and have seen it more than once, then please skip this book. It's basically a transcript of the film.

But if you want to kill some time and relive the magic of the film, then give it a whirl.
Kisty
For once... I liked the movie sooo much better than the book! This book had a lot to live up to, since this movie is probably my All-time Favorite movie that I have seen at least 50 times... no kidding! But of course... I love Danielle and definately Henry! Fun read for me!
Katrina Sutton
I had to read the book after I saw the movie. I am a big sucker for fairy tales, especially those that are influenced by Cinderella and Belle. This one based off of Cinderella, this book was filled with delight and hope for Danielle as well as sorrow and loneliness.
Chelsea
The writing of this book was not good! How many times can an author use the word chiseled to describe a person?!?! This book seems like it was written by a teenager. It is amazing how such a great movie can have such a bad book.
Hilary
Jun 18, 2007 Hilary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a comical romance.
i liked it but i didn't. i liked that it had both comdy and seriousness in it but, it was just another fairy tale to me soo i didn't get that excited about it. the book is good though, and worth reading.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Book is based on the screenplay, not the other way around. So the movie came first. So don't expect anything in the novel that wasn't in the book. It's just a novelization of the movie.
Monkeyface
Another book read. I saw the movie 1000 times so I had to read the book. I give it a 10. I do love a Cinderella story. This one is a little different but great.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
May 16, 2013 Kagama-the Literaturevixen marked it as to-read
Shelves: fairytale
I cant imagine liking this better than the movie (wich was awesome!) but just in case I added it
Princess
It was sooooooooo CUTE!!!!! I loved it !!! They make SUCH a cute couple!!
Sunsontops
Read this when I was young. I was captivated by it then but don't know now.
Heather
Sweet book; loved the movie and this version I think is my favorite!
Mareena
Jun 16, 2007 Mareena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This version of Cinderella is not as good as the original...
LMA Reads
Mar 04, 2008 LMA Reads added it
Shelves: lmaeevee
Is theat you can find true love and romance
Was this written before or after the movie? 3 6 Jul 03, 2014 01:29AM
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • Titanic: The Long Night
Wendy Loggia is a children’s book editor and has written a number of books for children and young adults.
More about Wendy Loggia...
Princess Protection Program Junior Novel Hard to Resist (Love Stories For Young Adults, #31) Summer Love (Love Stories) Aurora: The Perfect Party (Disney Princess Chapter Books) Crushing on You (Love Stories For Young Adults, #25)