Rites Of Burial

Rites Of Burial

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Written by Tom Jackman, the local investigative journalist who covered the story, and Troy Cole, the chief investigating officer, "Rites Of Burial" tells the gruesome true story of Robert Berdella, a serial killer whose inhuman crimes of murder and dismemberment might have served to inspire Jeffrey Dahmer's Milwaukee slaughter.
Published June 1st 1998 by Pinnacle (first published June 1st 1992)

Eva Leger
Maybe the fact that I haven't been reading much t.c. in the past few years has something to do with my feelings but this was a very hard book for me to read. This man, Robert or Bob Berdella, has to be one of the sickest fucks to have ever lived.
I don't remember t.c.'s ever really affecting me like this just did. There are those that were "worse" than others. There were some that I've remembered through the years. But I always processed them, stuck them somewhere in my brain and moved on. Rites...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Robert Berdella is one of the sickest serial killers I have ever read about. Known to some by "The Kansas City Butcher", he really did live u to that sick name sadly. I had never heard of him before reading this book which to be honest surprised me because his crimes were up there with the ranks of Dahmer & Gacy. The crimes were actually very similar to Dahmer in that the victims of choice were young, white homosexual males. Berdella inflicted a longer period of pain on his victims. Where Da...more
♥ Marlene♥
I've read this book years ago and then I released it to a bookcrosser or sold it, no idea and I wish I had not done that now.
It is out of print and if there is one book shocking with shocking pictures it is this one.
I collect books about serial killers and Berdella was one of the nastiest most sadistic vile creatures I have ever read about.

This book is definitely not for the faint of heart.
If someone has a copy for me I'd love one and of course would pay for shipping. thanks

Update: I managed to...more
Megan
I don't know what it was about this book but I found it very difficult to get through. It wasn't the subject matter, I can guarantee you that much. I guess the author's style of writing isn't the best for me personally- I'm not sure. The story itself is gruesome. Shocking? For some, sure. I, however, read mostly true crime and I've pretty much read it all or heard it all in documentaries and such. I suppose you can say I'm a bit desensitized.
I did find myself cringing at some of the details, but...more
Sandy
This is the story of the murders committed by Robert Berdella. Living a homosexual lifestyle, he started capturing his victims by drugging them. He would then torture and abuse them until they died or he killed them. He killed six young men in the 1980s. Berdella was sentenced to life in prison w/o the possibility of parole. He died in prison of a heart attack shortly after his incarceration.
Beth
This is a true account of the history of Bob Berdella, a serial killer who lived in the Westport area of Kansas City, MO. I love true crime tv shows, so I wasn't surprised that I found this book fascinating. Horrible, but fascinating. It's graphic, don't read it if you don't think you can handle it.
Morgaine
Interesting. A slice of KC history I was unaware of.
Sean Pratt
Riveting and gruesome
Joanna
Joanna added it
Jul 03, 2014
Guy
Guy marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Sara Metzger
Sara Metzger marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Lxapollo
Lxapollo marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Lexie Martinez
Lexie Martinez marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Mary Gilles-Schmidt
Mary Gilles-Schmidt marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Kim Hampton
Kim Hampton marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Mirjam Penning
Mirjam Penning marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Nat Holmes
Nat Holmes marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Brenda Linze
Brenda Linze marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Sandy (WI girl at heart) marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Brittany DiIorio
Brittany DiIorio marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Dani
Dani is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2014