Start by marking “Rites Of Burial” as Want to Read:
Rites Of Burial

Rites Of Burial

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Written by Tom Jackman, the local investigative journalist who covered the story, and Troy Cole, the chief investigating officer, "Rites Of Burial" tells the gruesome true story of Robert Berdella, a serial killer whose inhuman crimes of murder and dismemberment might have served to inspire Jeffrey Dahmer's Milwaukee slaughter.
Published June 1st 1998 by Pinnacle (first published June 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rites Of Burial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rites Of Burial

Eva Leger
Aug 06, 2011 Eva Leger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-true-crime
Maybe the fact that I haven't been reading much t.c. in the past few years has something to do with my feelings but this was a very hard book for me to read. This man, Robert or Bob Berdella, has to be one of the sickest fucks to have ever lived.
I don't remember t.c.'s ever really affecting me like this just did. There are those that were "worse" than others. There were some that I've remembered through the years. But I always processed them, stuck them somewhere in my brain and moved on. Rites
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Feb 11, 2014 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•* rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Robert Berdella is one of the sickest serial killers I have ever read about. Known to some by "The Kansas City Butcher", he really did live u to that sick name sadly. I had never heard of him before reading this book which to be honest surprised me because his crimes were up there with the ranks of Dahmer & Gacy. The crimes were actually very similar to Dahmer in that the victims of choice were young, white homosexual males. Berdella inflicted a longer period of pain on his victims. Where Da ...more
♥ Marlene♥
I've read this book years ago and then I released it to a bookcrosser or sold it, no idea and I wish I had not done that now.
It is out of print and if there is one book shocking with shocking pictures it is this one.
I collect books about serial killers and Berdella was one of the nastiest most sadistic vile creatures I have ever read about.

This book is definitely not for the faint of heart.
If someone has a copy for me I'd love one and of course would pay for shipping. thanks

Update: I managed to
Lee Paris
Oct 15, 2014 Lee Paris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a far better read than I had been led to expect. It nicely balances the various elements of the case - the police investigation, the legal (and political) ramifications, and , not to be discounted for those of us interested in such matters, the grisly details of each of Mr. Berdella's "captures" and the various sadistic treatments he imposed pre-mortem. The famous polaroids of the victims taken by their captor have been much reproduced on the internet and will not be a shock, but you wi ...more
Lauren
Aug 18, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a typical true crime book in that it isn't sensationalized. It gives you the cold, hard facts, and not much more. But those facts are pretty awful, and don't really need much sensationalization. I would recommend this to anyone doing research in this genre.
Megan
Aug 11, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
I don't know what it was about this book but I found it very difficult to get through. It wasn't the subject matter, I can guarantee you that much. I guess the author's style of writing isn't the best for me personally- I'm not sure. The story itself is gruesome. Shocking? For some, sure. I, however, read mostly true crime and I've pretty much read it all or heard it all in documentaries and such. I suppose you can say I'm a bit desensitized.
I did find myself cringing at some of the details, but
Fishface
Jan 21, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Utterly horrifying. I vowed to read this again someday but I have never been able to bring myself to do it. That was over 20 years ago now. I can't bring myself to give the book away, either. This story is THAT bad.
Sandy
Aug 11, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
This is the story of the murders committed by Robert Berdella. Living a homosexual lifestyle, he started capturing his victims by drugging them. He would then torture and abuse them until they died or he killed them. He killed six young men in the 1980s. Berdella was sentenced to life in prison w/o the possibility of parole. He died in prison of a heart attack shortly after his incarceration.
Beth
Oct 21, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
This is a true account of the history of Bob Berdella, a serial killer who lived in the Westport area of Kansas City, MO. I love true crime tv shows, so I wasn't surprised that I found this book fascinating. Horrible, but fascinating. It's graphic, don't read it if you don't think you can handle it.
Pat Shackleford
Jan 13, 2015 Pat Shackleford rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
The book stays interesting, which I not always think of true crime books. The only time it's a bit of slumping is during the confessions of the serial killer. Normally that's the most interesting part. The book doesn't needlessly attack its subject and sticks with the facts.
Morgaine
Nov 19, 2012 Morgaine rated it really liked it
Interesting. A slice of KC history I was unaware of.
Sean Pratt
Aug 03, 2013 Sean Pratt rated it really liked it
Riveting and gruesome
Spooky Mulder
Spooky Mulder marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Ronnie
Ronnie is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Mike Silva
Mike Silva rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
John Doe
John Doe rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jessi Witt
Jessi Witt marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Connie Head
Connie Head rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Jennine Ohnmacht
Jennine Ohnmacht marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
GreenSkye
GreenSkye rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Brendan Cooney
Brendan Cooney rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Mica
Mica marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Investigative journalist active in the Kansas City area.
More about Tom Jackman...