Start by marking “Secret Warriors, Volume 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing” as Want to Read:
Secret Warriors, Volume 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing

Secret Warriors, Volume 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing (Secret Warriors #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,065 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Nick Fury and his new band of young heroes uncover the darkest secret in the history of the Marvel Universe! A secret that sends the Secret Warriors tumbling into an underworld of rogue S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, super-powered spies, and global criminal organizations.

Collecting: Secret Warriors 1-6, material from Dark Reign: New Nation
Hardcover, Premiere, 184 pages
Published September 30th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Secret Warriors, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Warriors, Volume 1

Terence
So if I'm being totally honest I read Nick Fury: Agent of Nothing for two reasons, Quake and The Secret Warriors.
description

I'm a big fan of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and at the end of last season the show revealed that Skye was in fact Daisy Johnson otherwise known as Quake. I heard she was amazing in Secret Warriors so I wanted to read at least one comic prior to Season 3 which I hear revolves around Secret Warriors.

As it so happens Quake and her team weren't featured enough for me to get a good feel o
Anne
Aug 08, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I may have a little bit of a crush on Nick Fury now.
Anthony
Nov 24, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
This has been on my radar of books to read for a long time. I finally decided to stop putting it of and sit down and read Hickmans Secret Warriors (I'm also planning to re-read all his Marvel stuff before Secret Wars hits next year, but we'll see if that actually happens or not).

And the second season of Agents of SHILED has put me in the mood for reading a good SHILED vs HYRDA comic.

Secret Warriors is the closest to a Nick Fury ongoing Marvel have done in a while. It's a team book, filled with p
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Mar 12, 2015 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, marvel

Hot-diggity, this one was a gooder!

I've always been a Nick Fury fan and have enjoyed all the various incarnations of Marvels favorite spymaster. One of my earliest memories of books that I really liked as a kid were the S.H.I.E.L.D.: Nick Fury VS. S.H.I.E.L.D. comics. That six issue series captivated me and I fell in love with Fury and Shield and I soon found myself devouring all the Nick Fury stuff I could.

The six issues presented in this volume have managed to capture all those nostalgic feeli
Aaron
Oct 22, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it
I have heard almost nothing but constant, unending praise for Secret Warriors, and I *think* I am going to love it. But, after the first volume, I'm not quite there yet. This was incredibly enjoyable, yes, and I think Hickman (and Bendis I guess, though it doesn't seem like he had a ton to do with this beyond creating the characters) does an exemplary job of mixing espionage with superheroics in a highly original way. It all just kind of moves too fast, though. I haven't felt like I've had a mom ...more
Gavin
Jan 15, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Best part of Dark Reign to come out of Secret Invasion so far...plotted by Bendis and Hickman, so it's going to be a long run story (Hickman) and Bendis helped keep it grounded and with dialogue, so pretty solid team, and the art is solid too.

I like Nick Fury in his element, and this is helping show how he ends up where he does by Original Sin...

Howling Commandos make their return, and the Caterpillars face HYDRA and HAMMER...also, one of the team gets taken out, and it's time to recruit another
Jedhua
Story Synopsis: (view spoiler) ...more
Joe Sergi
Feb 26, 2012 Joe Sergi rated it really liked it
Secret Warriors is a great series from Marvel. The book offers the best take on Nick Fury in years. The first trade, Secret Warriors Vol. 1: "Nick Fury: Agent of Nothing", offers great dialogue and action. This book is so good it shouldn't be a secret.

To understand Secret Warriors you must understand Nick Fury. Fury first appeared in the World War II combat series Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, as a cigar-chomping NCO who led a racially and ethnically integrated elite unit. (May 1963 - Dec
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I am very tardy at writing this review! I have read so many graphic novels in the past couple of months, and I've just been fatigued and sadly, writing reviews has felt like a chore lately. Having said that, I am glad to get back and review this very good graphic novel.

When one thinks of Marvel characters, your mind doesn't necessarily go right to Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, but honestly, he's a bit like the glue of the Marvel universe in some ways. Or at least the Kevin Bacon (as in Six Degree
Sonic
Jan 18, 2010 Sonic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On second thought I am re-rating this as 2 stars instead of 3. I've come to expect a lot from Bendis, his capacity for realistic and exciting dialogue is almost unparalleled in the "comics" field, with characters who seem real, are consistent, and who talk like people do. His plots are usually brilliant. This felt like something unfinished from him or else very rushed. I am rereading a "POWERS" book, and even this which I already read is awesome, and thinking back on this Secret Warriors,... it ...more
William Thomas
May 19, 2012 William Thomas rated it it was amazing
Hot damn this book is Good. With a capital 'G'. Here we get to see Bendis and Hickman use Fury to his full potential during the 'Dark Reign'. You know, doing what a super spy does- espionage, double-agent, special ops, search-and-destroy, James Bond meets Dirty Harry type stuff.

What makes them (Bendis and Hickman) such brilliant writers at times, is the fact that they can give us a completely new team, characters we have never met before, and make us really care for them, care about them. Its a
Todd
Jan 22, 2014 Todd rated it really liked it
This is Nick Fury at his most grizzled badass. He's a veteran of everything since WW2 and it shows. He looks old and tired. His work seems to have been for naught.

The Catepillars themselves are interesting premises. There isn't a lot of character development here. Thiere are hints of things to come, but this is mostly intrigue and action.

I like the art. It's comic book without being ridiculous. Everyone is defined enough to be recognizable.
Scarlett
Feb 18, 2016 Scarlett rated it really liked it
Waiting for Agents of SHIELD 3B got me like
Kei
Sep 29, 2016 Kei rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, comics
I'm torn. I enjoyed it, and I want to see where this story goes.
However, this is not my Nick Fury anymore, Marvel Studios changed that - and, additionally, seeing Yo-Yo and Quake without the rest of the team... Mac... etc.... Weirdness.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Dark Reign: New Nation #1 and Secret Warriors #1-6 (February 2009-September 2009). S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone and H.A.M.M.E.R. is now the king of defense. Nick Fury finds himself on the run as he’s become a target. When Fury digs deeper into S.H.I.E.L.D. files, Fury learns the dirty truth…S.H.I.E.L.D. is actually formed by their mortal enemy HYDRA as a puppet organization. Fury’s assembled a team of heroes under a hidden agenda to overthrow H.A.M.M.E.R. and stop HYDRA once and for all…and Fur ...more
Arno Callens
Jul 16, 2016 Arno Callens rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
Normally I tend to read the source material before I check out the adaptation, but in the case of Secret Warriors and Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s third season I missed the deadline. Deadlines, it turns out, as this book isn't just the jumping-off point for that season, but for other parts of the show as well, and a significant chunk of the films in the MCU.

I'm talking about Nick Fury and Hydra. The former steals the show as the spy of spies, a conflicted individual stuck between trusting and mistru
Michael Emond
Jul 24, 2013 Michael Emond rated it it was ok
I am a HUGE fan of the character of Nick Fury. But for whatever reason there has never been a writer to help him live up to his potential. His figure is so iconic - the rough at every edge leader. Hard as nail and tough as steel. He should be an easy write, but alas, while there have been flashes of goodness (Sternenko's run comes to mind), there is never greatness. I picked this graphic novel out of a bargain bin...and there it should have remained. First the art - Caselli is an artist that I c ...more
Jeff Lanter
Feb 24, 2016 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a pleasant surprise and while I've heard good things about Secret Warriors, I knew little about it and I think that may be true for most readers. Other than Nick Fury, the superhero team is made up of completely obscure characters and I actually found that to be pretty appealing. While I don't feel like I completely know the characters even after reading this, I still found it easy to root for them and there is a guy that wields magic, burning chains he throws around which is pretty coo ...more
Matt Anderson
May 18, 2014 Matt Anderson rated it liked it
Collects Secret Warriors issues #1-6, and material from Dark Reign: New Nation

In the wake of the Secret Invasion, S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more. Norman Osborn’s H.A.M.M.E.R. is now in power, so Nick Fury has formed a new team. They are a covert team that doesn’t work for any government. They are Secret Warriors, trying to stop Osborn (and H.Y.D.R.A.) from doing more bad.

I think part of the reason I didn’t love this book is that I didn’t feel attached to any of the characters. When I first saw Daisy Jo
Keith Davis
A lot of ideas used in the Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series originated in the comic book series Secret Warriors. The idea that S.H.I.E.L.D. was completely compromised by HYDRA and the remaining agents had to go underground. The idea that S.H.I.E.L.D. recruited a team a powered young people lead by Agent Daisy Johnson and her earthquake powers. Other than those underlying ideas the plot and characters of Secret Warriors bear no resemblance to the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series. Don't pick it up ...more
Andy
Aug 07, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it
With the teaming of Brian Bendis, Jonathan Hickman, and artist Stefano Caselli this book held promise--a promise it delivered. This series works to explain Nick Fury's actions following the Secret Invasion in the Marvel Universe. Bendis does a brilliant job of establishing both characters and drama for the events that will unfold. The change from Bendis's writing to Hickman's is almost invisible in the world of bait and switch and shirtsleeves diplomacy every action seems laden with. THe artwork ...more
Silas
Mar 04, 2015 Silas rated it really liked it
I picked this up since it featured Daisy Johnson, and I'm excited about Agents of SHIELD starting back up. This features a bunch of new characters along with Nick Fury, and thankfully is better done than the Secret War comic that I recently read that I believe introduced Daisy as a character... mostly because it doesn't involve characters I already know. I like the new characters for the most part, though I don't really have them figured out just yet. The story parallels the television show in i ...more
Mark
Jan 08, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
Again, my lack of detailed knowledge about the Marvel universe (it seems obvious to me that there's a LOT more backstory between Dum Dum & the Countessa & Nick Fury) probably lessens the impact of a basically enjoyable "our whole lives have been a lie/it's time for some payback" story. It's solid but not spectacular - though pretty cliche-ridden. If you've read many comic books and/or seen enough action films, you can predict large chunks of the dialogue.

As someone else reviewed, the cov
Ryan
Aug 09, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Brian Michael Bendis. I just don't think he's as great a writer as many people make him out to be. However, Jonathan Hickman is turning out to be one of my favorite comic book writers. He's like Grant Morrison without the "I'm-smarter-than-you-are-condescending-tone." I find his writing very similar to Neil Gaiman, in that he tells very intelligent, thought-provoking stories that may make you confused when you first read them, but turn out to be super-layered great stories ...more
Pturingan
It was ok. There were a lot of spy movie cliches and I just couldn't get myself interested in all of the new characters introduced. I kind of like the idea though of making Hydra a real threat to the Marvel Universe (as opposed to their previous status of being the whipping boys of other Marvel comic books).

This book is little more than just GI Joe vs Cobra, I mean SHIELD vs Hydra with some plot twists were quite predictable actually. Still, it was fun and I really enjoyed Hickman's trademark "
Ben Mckenzie
There's a lot of stuff to like here, even for a guy not familiar with the Secret Invasion story, but I felt the new super team working with Fury got terribly short shrift. The scene where they are are all told their fates lacked a lot of punch when I didn't know the characters well enough to know how awful I was supposed to feel. Still, solid writing, grey spy action, kick-arse bad guys and a great central premise.
Mitchell
Pretty sure I read this a couple years ago, before I started reviewing graphic novels on Goodreads. I know a little bit more about what is going on this time. Story certainly moves along. But it doesn't waste a whole lot of time telling you how we got here and who's who. A little bit more attention on the big story would have been appreciated as well as more attention on the little story. Mostly this was just plot and hints of story. But done pretty well.
Andrew Uys
Aug 10, 2013 Andrew Uys rated it really liked it
Spinning out of the events of Marvel's Secret Invasion, but really going back to Brian Michael Bendis' limited series, Secret War, SECRET WARRIORS is Nick Fury's triumphant return to the Marvel U, and the ensuing chaos as he discovers just how far HYDRA's reach has grown over the years. Great graphic novel!
Dean Olson
Feb 14, 2011 Dean Olson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is the spy story I have been waiting to read with Nick Fury for years. Hickman sets up all sorts of plots and factions in the first storyline and having read this monthly, I seen lots of hints to later events. The only downside is the main characters of the Caterpillar team are mostly undeveloped or just boring. But it also brings back an foe of Wolverine and just makes him even better.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Nov 22, 2015 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it really liked it
Art, action, and story build are strong. It was a lot of fun to watch all the pieces come together. I was strongly reminded how much I wanna punch Nick Fury in the face for refusing to tell people shit, but I also love it, so I'm conflicted. It's got some messy edges since it came out of a big event, but damn if it isn't fun and interesting.
comic 1 5 May 04, 2013 08:26PM
  • Thunderbolts, Volume 2: Caged Angels
  • Thor, by J. Michael Straczynski, Volume 3
  • X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
  • Incredible Hulk, Volume 1: Son of Banner
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Secret Warriors (6 books)
  • Secret Warriors, Volume 2: God of Fear, God of War