Start by marking “Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing” as Want to Read:
Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing

Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing (Secret Warriors #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  837 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Nick Fury and his new band of young heroes uncover the darkest secret in the history of the Marvel Universe! A secret that sends the Secret Warriors tumbling into an underworld of rogue SHIELD agents, super-powered spies, and global criminal organizations. This title collects 'Secret Warriors' numbered 1-6, and 'Dark Reign New Nation' story.
Hardcover, Premiere HC, 184 pages
Published September 30th 2009 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Secret Warriors, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Warriors, Vol. 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanBatman by Alan MooreRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanAkira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro Otomo
Comics I Recommend Highly
121st out of 136 books — 39 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreSoon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonHero by Perry MooreBatman by Frank Miller
Superhero Fiction
464th out of 479 books — 807 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)

Hot-diggity, this one was a gooder!

I've always been a Nick Fury fan and have enjoyed all the various incarnations of Marvels favorite spymaster. One of my earliest memories of books that I really liked as a kid were the S.H.I.E.L.D.: Nick Fury VS. S.H.I.E.L.D. comics. That six issue series captivated me and I fell in love with Fury and Shield and I soon found myself devouring all the Nick Fury stuff I could.

The six issues presented in this volume have managed to capture all those nostalgic feeli
Anthony
This has been on my radar of books to read for a long time. I finally decided to stop putting it of and sit down and read Hickmans Secret Warriors (I'm also planning to re-read all his Marvel stuff before Secret Wars hits next year, but we'll see if that actually happens or not).

And the second season of Agents of SHILED has put me in the mood for reading a good SHILED vs HYRDA comic.

Secret Warriors is the closest to a Nick Fury ongoing Marvel have done in a while. It's a team book, filled with p
Aaron
I have heard almost nothing but constant, unending praise for Secret Warriors, and I *think* I am going to love it. But, after the first volume, I'm not quite there yet. This was incredibly enjoyable, yes, and I think Hickman (and Bendis I guess, though it doesn't seem like he had a ton to do with this beyond creating the characters) does an exemplary job of mixing espionage with superheroics in a highly original way. It all just kind of moves too fast, though. I haven't felt like I've had a mom ...more
Joe Sergi
Secret Warriors is a great series from Marvel. The book offers the best take on Nick Fury in years. The first trade, Secret Warriors Vol. 1: "Nick Fury: Agent of Nothing", offers great dialogue and action. This book is so good it shouldn't be a secret.

To understand Secret Warriors you must understand Nick Fury. Fury first appeared in the World War II combat series Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, as a cigar-chomping NCO who led a racially and ethnically integrated elite unit. (May 1963 - Dec
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I am very tardy at writing this review! I have read so many graphic novels in the past couple of months, and I've just been fatigued and sadly, writing reviews has felt like a chore lately. Having said that, I am glad to get back and review this very good graphic novel.

When one thinks of Marvel characters, your mind doesn't necessarily go right to Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, but honestly, he's a bit like the glue of the Marvel universe in some ways. Or at least the Kevin Bacon (as in Six Degree
William Thomas
Hot damn this book is Good. With a capital 'G'. Here we get to see Bendis and Hickman use Fury to his full potential during the 'Dark Reign'. You know, doing what a super spy does- espionage, double-agent, special ops, search-and-destroy, James Bond meets Dirty Harry type stuff.

What makes them (Bendis and Hickman) such brilliant writers at times, is the fact that they can give us a completely new team, characters we have never met before, and make us really care for them, care about them. Its a
Matt Anderson
Collects Secret Warriors issues #1-6, and material from Dark Reign: New Nation

In the wake of the Secret Invasion, S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more. Norman Osborn’s H.A.M.M.E.R. is now in power, so Nick Fury has formed a new team. They are a covert team that doesn’t work for any government. They are Secret Warriors, trying to stop Osborn (and H.Y.D.R.A.) from doing more bad.

I think part of the reason I didn’t love this book is that I didn’t feel attached to any of the characters. When I first saw Daisy Jo
Silas
I picked this up since it featured Daisy Johnson, and I'm excited about Agents of SHIELD starting back up. This features a bunch of new characters along with Nick Fury, and thankfully is better done than the Secret War comic that I recently read that I believe introduced Daisy as a character... mostly because it doesn't involve characters I already know. I like the new characters for the most part, though I don't really have them figured out just yet. The story parallels the television show in i ...more
Anne
I think I may have a little bit of a crush on Nick Fury now.
Michael Emond
I am a HUGE fan of the character of Nick Fury. But for whatever reason there has never been a writer to help him live up to his potential. His figure is so iconic - the rough at every edge leader. Hard as nail and tough as steel. He should be an easy write, but alas, while there have been flashes of goodness (Sternenko's run comes to mind), there is never greatness. I picked this graphic novel out of a bargain bin...and there it should have remained. First the art - Caselli is an artist that I c ...more
Mitchell
Pretty sure I read this a couple years ago, before I started reviewing graphic novels on Goodreads. I know a little bit more about what is going on this time. Story certainly moves along. But it doesn't waste a whole lot of time telling you how we got here and who's who. A little bit more attention on the big story would have been appreciated as well as more attention on the little story. Mostly this was just plot and hints of story. But done pretty well.
Andy
With the teaming of Brian Bendis, Jonathan Hickman, and artist Stefano Caselli this book held promise--a promise it delivered. This series works to explain Nick Fury's actions following the Secret Invasion in the Marvel Universe. Bendis does a brilliant job of establishing both characters and drama for the events that will unfold. The change from Bendis's writing to Hickman's is almost invisible in the world of bait and switch and shirtsleeves diplomacy every action seems laden with. THe artwork ...more
Sonic
On second thought I am re-rating this as 2 stars instead of 3. I've come to expect a lot from Bendis, his capacity for realistic and exciting dialogue is almost unparalleled in the "comics" field, with characters who seem real, are consistent, and who talk like people do. His plots are usually brilliant. This felt like something unfinished from him or else very rushed. I am rereading a "POWERS" book, and even this which I already read is awesome, and thinking back on this Secret Warriors,... it ...more
April
Very well structured and easy to follow even though I haven't read comics leading up to this series. Looking forward to the rest of the volumes in this one.
Ryan
I'm not a huge fan of Brian Michael Bendis. I just don't think he's as great a writer as many people make him out to be. However, Jonathan Hickman is turning out to be one of my favorite comic book writers. He's like Grant Morrison without the "I'm-smarter-than-you-are-condescending-tone." I find his writing very similar to Neil Gaiman, in that he tells very intelligent, thought-provoking stories that may make you confused when you first read them, but turn out to be super-layered great stories ...more
Mark
Again, my lack of detailed knowledge about the Marvel universe (it seems obvious to me that there's a LOT more backstory between Dum Dum & the Countessa & Nick Fury) probably lessens the impact of a basically enjoyable "our whole lives have been a lie/it's time for some payback" story. It's solid but not spectacular - though pretty cliche-ridden. If you've read many comic books and/or seen enough action films, you can predict large chunks of the dialogue.

As someone else reviewed, the cov
Pturingan
It was ok. There were a lot of spy movie cliches and I just couldn't get myself interested in all of the new characters introduced. I kind of like the idea though of making Hydra a real threat to the Marvel Universe (as opposed to their previous status of being the whipping boys of other Marvel comic books).

This book is little more than just GI Joe vs Cobra, I mean SHIELD vs Hydra with some plot twists were quite predictable actually. Still, it was fun and I really enjoyed Hickman's trademark "
Todd
This is Nick Fury at his most grizzled badass. He's a veteran of everything since WW2 and it shows. He looks old and tired. His work seems to have been for naught.

The Catepillars themselves are interesting premises. There isn't a lot of character development here. Thiere are hints of things to come, but this is mostly intrigue and action.

I like the art. It's comic book without being ridiculous. Everyone is defined enough to be recognizable.
Ben Mckenzie
There's a lot of stuff to like here, even for a guy not familiar with the Secret Invasion story, but I felt the new super team working with Fury got terribly short shrift. The scene where they are are all told their fates lacked a lot of punch when I didn't know the characters well enough to know how awful I was supposed to feel. Still, solid writing, grey spy action, kick-arse bad guys and a great central premise.
Dean Olson
This is the spy story I have been waiting to read with Nick Fury for years. Hickman sets up all sorts of plots and factions in the first storyline and having read this monthly, I seen lots of hints to later events. The only downside is the main characters of the Caterpillar team are mostly undeveloped or just boring. But it also brings back an foe of Wolverine and just makes him even better.
Kahn
Another strand is added to the many-hued Marvel blankie, and a delightful little addition it is to.
While H.A.M.M.E.R. takes over from S.H.I.E.L.D, we find out you-know-who has infiltrated you-know-where and so Nick Fury decides to sort it out - with a little help from you'll-never-guess.
Funny, fast-paced, and a must for fans of the former cigar chewer
Andrew Uys
Spinning out of the events of Marvel's Secret Invasion, but really going back to Brian Michael Bendis' limited series, Secret War, SECRET WARRIORS is Nick Fury's triumphant return to the Marvel U, and the ensuing chaos as he discovers just how far HYDRA's reach has grown over the years. Great graphic novel!
Zach Danielson
Nick Fury is the scowlingest super-spy that ever lived. There's a subplot about global peace-keeping forces battling several anciently evil terrorist groups, but the real focus is on Nick Fury looking tough and saying grim things like "Time to grow up, kid."

Meh, Bendis has done much better.
Seth
hickman is great. really great. this isn't his best work by far, but it's good. this story isn't over yest (issues still coming out monthly), so it's hard to say how much i like it. this is a really good start though. great shield/nick fury stuff. spies in the marvel universe. it's really fun.
Kerry
I had no idea what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised when I couldn't stop turning the pages. I had volume 3 in my hands today, but I'm going to have to wait to read it because it's going to be a really long time before I can get my hands on volume 2!!!!
P Fosten
Didn't love it. I've seen Nick Fury lose control of SHIELD to HYDRA before and for it to happen again doesn't convince me he's the super spy he's treated as. The art by Caselli is great and the team is interesting so that's something in it's favour.
jeremiah
Another I didn't finish over vacation. Soap opera set in the Marvel universe. The premise was interesting in it's grand conspiracy tone, but too many characters running around makes for me not caring much about any of them. Great art.
Kyle Morris
Amazing stories... unfortunately the Secret Warriors line dwindles by volume 2 and can't keep the promising momentum that begins here. But this collection is superb, some of the best monthly non-graphic novel writing in comics in decades.
Blake Petit
Stuff like this is where Jonathan Hickman cut his teeth. He's not the best writer Marvel has, and if he doesn't get some huge assignments after he leaves Fantastic Four, they're out of their minds.
Shannon Appelcline
An excellent, and constantly surprising start to a series that really looks like it's going places. Perhaps not as shockingly good on future reads, but it remains a deep, multilayered story.
comic 1 5 May 04, 2013 08:26PM
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast
  • Agents of Atlas
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 1: The Last Iron Fist Story
  • Avengers, Vol. 1: World Trust
  • The Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Annihilation, Book One
  • Thunderbolts, Vol. 2: Caged Angels

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Secret Warriors (7 books)
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 2: God of Fear, God of War
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 3: Wake the Beast
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 4: Last Ride of the Howling Commandos
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 5: Night
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 6: Wheels Within Wheels
  • Secret Warriors Omnibus
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers