Start by marking “Citizen Hughes: The Power, the Money and the Madness of the Man portrayed in the Movie THE AVIATOR” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in the Martin Scorsese movie The Aviator, Howard Hughes is legendary as a playboy and pilot—but he is notorious for what he became: the ultimate mystery man. Citizen Hughes is the New York Times bestselling exposé of Hughes’s hidden life, and a stunning revelation of his “megalomaniac empire in the emperor’s own words” (Newsweek).

At the heigh
Published November 2nd 2004 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Citizen Hughes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Citizen Hughes

Jeff
This book covers a narrow time period, the Vegas years (1966-1970) and the immediate aftermath, and is based largely on memos stolen from Hughes's Romaine Street headquarters (pic of the HQ that I snapped here) in 1974. Drosnin also wrote The Bible Code, that's not a good sign, but still, this book is valuable for direct, extensive quoting of Hughes memos from the relevant time frame. Many of the memos are between Hughes and Bob Maheu. Drosnin is pretty hard on the Mormons.

Best/unique things ab
Elijah Christopher
I'll begin by saying that Drosnin is an exceptional author, he kept me pulled in and loving the story of Howard Hughes. His style and dynamic were impressive. From Howard Hughes we can learn this: People seem to always be looking for power in order to get things done. So they work to obtain that power. This is good, but where do we go after having obtained that power, being in any form, (knowledge, military, intelligence, wisdom, etc.), where do we go from there. Hughes' downfall was that he had ...more
Luke
Well, a disappointment. I had thought that after Barlett and Steele's compendium on Howard Hughes, Drosnin's book would provide a bit of light relief in a kind of SHOCK! HORROR! way.

Unfortunately, given that it focuses solely on the part of Hughes's life where he was writing a lot of notes (or dictating them to his Mormon minions) it comes across as kind of flabby and boring. There's a lot of he-said, no-he-didn't back-and-forth that ends up removing the shocking nature of Hughes's decline. The
Charlene Gordon
Awesome book! I worked for Hughes Aircraft for many years and knew people that had met Hughes. I found this history of his time in Las Vegas fascinating. It was amazing that such a brilliant and charismatic man could go so far over the edge. Seeing so much of the book in Hughes' own handwriting gave it an extra look into the man. Well worth reading if you can find it.
Ted
Hughes must be one of the most fascinating people to ever live. This superbly-written book opens a window into his truly bizarre life. But that's just one side of the book. The reader also learns many little-known details about Watergate and the politics of the late 60s/early 70s. The author presents a compelling case that Hughes unwittingly played a very significant part in the Watergate scandal.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Hughes or Watergate. However, I would also reco
Angie
Apr 10, 2009 Angie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to read huge thick books about crazy people with lots of money
Having a lot of money not only does not make you happy, it can stop people from telling you the things they need to tell you to keep you from going absolutely bat-shit insane.

However it can help you control a vast empire from a completely blackened filthy vegas hotel room.

And Howard Hughes loved Mormons. At least he loved having them as servants.
Daniel Klein
Who knew Howard Hughes was this involved in politics and world events. A wonderful way to see how government was run and who had the power in the 50's, 60's and 70's. This is a critical book of hughes, but the content can be connected to many men of the time and today.
Josh
May 14, 2007 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: booksread
Wow, wow and wow again! Every American should read this book if they desire to fully understand the catalyst behind Watergate, as well as the mysteries of a very wealthy man who held the world at his fingertips, while his mind went steadily by the wayside.
Jan
What a better place to learn about someone than from their own writing. Howard Hughes own handwritten notes are used the basis to tell the story of this bizaree and reclusive man, who, by virtue of his wealth held great power in his hands.
Jamie
This may sound stupid...but a bio of Howard Hughes is kind of a downer....the political info on how he was involved with Johnson and Nixon is great...but overall I can only take so much crazy.
Steven
I really loved this book, though it was a bit creepy. Gave new context to the impetus behind the Watergate break-in, as well as nice insight into the psyche of this very disturbed individual.
Melissa
While I read this book such a long time ago, I can't really comment on how well the book was written, I do remember clearly that it was a fascinating book. A must read for any Las Vegan.
Brian Leach
Lots of details in this book that I had never heard about Howard Hughes. My gripe is the author's writing ability. In parts it is downright atrocious.
Tipsy Biscuit
Sep 09, 2010 Tipsy Biscuit added it
Shelves: 2006
If you'd like to know what I thought of this book, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

All the best,

- TB
Arwen
Luckiest reporter on earth stumbles upon storage unit filled with every last one of Howard Hughes' secret memos. Fantastic!
Brian
Read the first third, then toss it aside. The first third is riveting. The last two thirds are torture....
mary brand
Liked it but got bored half way through, maybe will pick it up later
Eric Kane
An incredible look into the secretive life of Howard Hughes!
Kevin Wellen
An interesting read from a very different perspective.
Tasha Mudd
Tasha Mudd marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Brenda Peter
Brenda Peter marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Ynot Regnirts
Ynot Regnirts marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Lee Marvin: Point Blank
  • John Glenn: A Memoir
  • The Biggest Game in Town
  • Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • The Money and the Power: The Making of Las Vegas and Its Hold on America
  • The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years (Enhanced Edition)
  • A History of US: Book 8: An Age of Extremes 1880-1917