Start by marking “Cool Dog, School Dog” as Want to Read:
Cool Dog, School Dog

Cool Dog, School Dog

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
“Tinka is a cool dog, a school dog, a breaking-all-the-rules dog. A hall dog, a ball dog, a crash-into-the-wall dog.” Join Tinka, a dandy, sandy Golden Retriever, as she unexpectedly visits her owner at school and helps his class learn to read. Bright illustrations rendered in acrylic paint add to the excitement in this playful back-to-school story about a boy and his “lov ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Cool Dog, School Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cool Dog, School Dog

Alexis Demaria
Oct 14, 2013 Alexis Demaria rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for kids who love dogs, I don't know if I would read it in the classroom because then all the kids would want to bring their dog to school with them! Adorable story though.
Jane Woodside
Apr 19, 2012 Jane Woodside rated it liked it
Shelves: eced-221
Cool Dog, School Dog by Deborah Heiligman is a very cute and fun book to read. The story is basically a whole days length about a dog. It starts in the beginning of the day until the end of the school day. It is a cute rhyming book about the type of dog Tinka is, and the things she does throughout the day.

The genre of this book is definitely a poetry book. Every page there are three lines that describe the type of dog Tinka is. The setting in this book isn’t stated clearly, however through the i
Erin
Sep 12, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Cool Dog, School Dog was exactly the type of book I would've wanted in my elementary reading experience.

Cool Dog, School Dog is a book about a boy and a dog and their ever so close relationship. Tinka and his owner, a young boy, are as close as friends could ever be. But the young boy goes to school in the fall, and Tinka is left home alone with the boy's mother. Sneaky Tinka slips out the door one afternoon and heads for the school where he runs the halls and knocks everything over, making a h
Hayley Zamzow
Oct 25, 2012 Hayley Zamzow rated it really liked it
Cool Dog, School Dog by Deborah Heiligman is another adorable story that pairs dogs with reading! This rhyming story tells of a dog named Tinka who gets so lonely when his owner goes to school, that he sneaks off and scampers to find him. Wreaking havoc in the hallways, the teacher calls the boy's mother in anger, but the kids beg for Tinka to stay. They read to him and realize how much Tinka loves to read, too.

This book would be great for K-2nd graders. It would certainly be helpful for reluct
Jess
This was a fun read that my son enjoyed greatly. I loved the dog in this story because in an odd way it reminded me of how my son is at school. I have often found myself wishing that I could go sit in class like he did. I liked that this is a story about a bond between a boy and his dog. This is a wonderful book to read with your kids. If you have them. The art work is wonderful and vibrant that catches anyones attention. I think this is a great book for any school age kid to read with their par ...more
marion lightsey
Dec 24, 2014 marion lightsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for the 3-6 year old set

The kind of rhyming cadence that the young ones love; they can quickly learn and follow along.....the dog is easy to love, tugs at the heartstrings, and the story has a very satisfactory ending!
Kristen
Dec 04, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary
Cool Dog, School Dog is a good back to school book or a good introduction to the program Reading with Rover. I picked this book up at our school's Scholastic Book Fair. It is a cute story about a dog that doesn't want to get left behind when her human brother goes off to elementary school so she tags along! Tinka, the dog, gets into all sorts of trouble and gets a call home until the children start reading to her. She loves it! Then she is a "come back every day dog". Children will love the rhym ...more
Lauren
Oct 29, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I love this rhyming words book! One each page there are three phrases that all have rhyming words in it. Children love the way this book flows. Tinka is a great family dog, but he gets sad and lonely when his friend has to go to school in the morning. He finds a way to sneak out and go to the school to find him! Tinka runs through the halls and causes quite a distraction. He eventually ends up reading with the children in his friend's class and the kids love it. They plead him to come back every ...more
Rida
Oct 24, 2014 Rida rated it liked it
It was such a cute book and I love the rhymes in the story
Robin
Sep 03, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Lends itself well to a read aloud session
Elizabeth Bergin
Oct 28, 2012 Elizabeth Bergin rated it really liked it
Tinka is a dog, and Tinka is a lot of other things that are described throughout the book in rhymes. She is sad when her human has to leave for school, so she decides to join him there. She promptly makes a mess and is almost sent home, when the teacher decides that Tinka can help the class. "Cool Dog, School Dog" is a fun rhyming book that is great for beginning readers. The illustrations are very well done and add a lot to the story. After reading the book, kids can make their own rhymes about ...more
Brandy Locchetta
This book is FULL of great rhyming words! This is a great resource for adding rhyming words to a word wall, creating a rhyming word ring or extending some word families that may already be present in the classroom. There are also some great emotion words in this book and those could be used to label the way the children in the class may feel or felt the first day of school, or when they do something different that they've never tried before.
Dominique Maderitz
This story was about a dog who went to school with his owner. The dog was very bad at first until he starting liking school. I enjoyed this book and found it funny. Also I believe children would also enjoy this book. I loved how the booked rhymed and was easy to read. Children could easily relate to this book because they too may have had a hard time in school until they learned to embrace the experience.
Tatiana
Aug 13, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it
"Cool Dog, School Dog" was a rollicking good time, with fun sing-songy rhymes, and a cadence that begs to repeated louder and louder each time. On the first day of school, the house dog gets lonely in a hurry and wants to find the little boy he loves, so he takes off for school. Mayhem ensues, but the students love him and invite him to stay with them to read books.

Recommended for ages five and up.
Marianne Mitchell
Jul 27, 2012 Marianne Mitchell rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book for anyone who participates in the Read to a Dog program in schools and libraries. I take it with me when my poodle, Misty, and I meet with young readers. The text is simple and fun (giving the kids an easy, successful read), the illustrations are adorable, and the dog in the story ends up like Misty, a 'read to' dog! I've recommended it to all my fellow Pet Partners teams.
Hannah Cobb
Sep 30, 2012 Hannah Cobb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Tinka is miserable when her human gets on the bus to go to school, leaving her at home. When Tinka sees a chance for escape, she dashes off in pursuit of her human friend--and a wild day in the forbidden halls of school. Kids of all ages will love the idea of dog at school; Heiligman's brief, rhyming text and the highly emotive illustrations make this a great storytime read.
Brittany
Dec 05, 2010 Brittany rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful book to have in any teacher's classroom library, because it helps emergent readers build on their phonemical awareness. This book is full of rhyming words which makes this book very enjoyable and fun to read. This book is about a dog and the different characteristics of this dog. This book is suitable for younger children.
Jenna
Dec 12, 2011 Jenna rated it liked it
Tinka misses her little boy when he goes to school, so when Mom isn't looking Tinka goes to school. She is thriled to see her little owner, but his teacher is not thrilled to see Tinka.

This story is full of rhyming words: sneak and peek, cool and school, and even nook and book. Great for working on a ryhming lesson with students.
Malika J.
I love this book. The rhyming is great! The message of stress about school is totally relatable. The illustrations are awesome. Every time Sam and I read this book, we can usually talk about the pictures and what's going on in the story for at least 10-15 minutes. I use this book to talk about emotions and rhyming.
Nicole Flores
This story is about a dog who goes to school to see his owner. There he getis into some trouble and then he helps the students learn to read. This is a really cute story that could be used to write a creative writing story where the children can write about their pet coming to school.
Paris
I would recommend this book for developing readers. Considering its rhyming scheme, it could not only be read to teach phonemic awareness but intergrate music and movement. I like the rhythm because it reminds me of the morning meeting song from my 1st grade placement.
Anna Francesca
Nov 30, 2011 Anna Francesca rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, dogs
The rhymes in this tale of a dog who went to school are very cute, and the illustrations are similarly adorable. Sometimes, I felt that aspects of the narration were less smooth than desirable-- sacrificed for the sake of the rhyme. Still, though, I would recommend this book.
Shira Burns
Sep 19, 2010 Shira Burns rated it liked it
This book would be great for emergent readers. The rhyming pattern presented in this book will help emergent readers to easily decode words. I liked the way the voice reading each page is meant to start off low and moderate and towards the end escalate and speed up.
Shanda
My kids love this book and ask me to read it to them all of the time. It's a fun book to read and I don't mind.
Anthony Kline
Oct 20, 2013 Anthony Kline rated it liked it
I have a dog and had a dog when I was a little boy and this book really brings back memories of the times I use to run off the bus to go play with my dog after school. This book is a very good book for kids at a young age because all children love dogs.
Natalie Schmitt
Apr 22, 2012 Natalie Schmitt rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, youngsters
Tinka is a family dog. She does not like to be left alone. When the children go off to school, Tinka sneaks out of the house and follows them there. See what Tinka gets into at school. This book can teach students what is fact or ficion.
Jillian Warren
This book is about a boy who loves to spend time with his dog but the dog becomes sad when the boy starts school. Then chaos ensues when the dog goes to school to find "his boy." Would be a good book to use when studying adjectives and poetry.
Heather Summers
Feb 15, 2011 Heather Summers rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming, poetry
This is a great book for a writers workshop lesson. Simply have your students copy the format of the poetry-like stanzas and make up their own about themselves. reinforces prior knowledge of rhyming and introduces poetry at the same time.
Robin
Dec 13, 2012 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junebug-s-books
This has become one of Junebug's favorites. It has wonderful lilting rhymes, nice pictures, and a dog who goes to school. The tale spoke to Junebug on a very personal level since that is one of her most favorite things to do.
Tricia
Aug 09, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Creatively-rhyming, this title shares the experiences of Tinka--a dog who doesn't want to be separated from her boy master and follows him to school. Clever problem-solving goes into play when he finds a role at school.
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Pirates Go to School
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • Bailey
  • Zoomer
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • Me With You
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • The New Bear At School
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • The Kiss Box
  • Roly Poly Pangolin
119782
Deborah Heiligman's second job was at the Scholastic News Explorer, the 4th grade classroom magazine. There discovered that she loved writing for children and she has never looked back.

After the birth of her two children she started to work as a freelancer. She has written 28 children's books as well as articles for numerous magazines including Ladies' Home Journal, Sesame Street Parents Guide, P
More about Deborah Heiligman...