Start by marking “War Fever” as Want to Read:
War Fever

War Fever

This collection of short stories by J.G. Ballard shows this most original of writers at his best. Ironic, incisive, witty and challenging, the stories draw their ideas from today's headlines and give them striking new perspectives. The stories are: War Fever; The Secret History of World War 3; Dream Cargoes; The Object of Attack; Love in a Colder Climate; The Largest Theme ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by Isis (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about War Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Fever

Yngvild
Apr 04, 2010 Yngvild rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
There is no consistent theme running through the fourteen short pieces from the early 1980’s in J G Ballard’s War Fever. There are the familiar Ballard themes of time standing still, an abandoned Cape Canaveral with its empty motels, man-powered light aircraft and effulgent jungle flora and fauna, but there are fourteen distinct mind-expanding ideas behind the fourteen works. The tendency over previous Ballard short story collections, such as it is, is towards whimsicality and good humour. Only ...more
Adam
A collection that shows of many of Ballard’s strengths and very little of his faults (only one empty swimming pool to be found). These frequently experimental narratives find Ballard in the mode of the Atrocity Exhibition and Crash, offering a surreal and haunting vision of the tomb humanity is digging for itself with its own technology and obsessions. These texts present themselves so seriously I find them quite funny in an odd way. The Swiftian savagery of the title story is satire so true it’ ...more
Will
Jun 29, 2007 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite collection of Ballard's work, though I'd skip the first one (the title piece is the weakest of the bunch, unfortunately).

"Dream Cargoes" and "The Air Disaster" are two of the most haunting (and unsettling) short stories I've ever read, and "The Largest Theme Park in the World" is the only story told in omniscient third person plural that has ever really worked for me (I mean, there aren't many, but still).

I don't like everything that Ballard writes, but this is good, solid
David Peak
Dec 05, 2013 David Peak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very, very good collection of Ballard's short stories (blurbed by David Foster Wallace!), mainly speculative and sci-fi, and, for the most part, published in the 70s and 80s. All of his trademark obsessions appear here in full: messianic complexes, astronauts, Ronald Reagan, flight, wild distortions of time and space. There really isn't a bad story to be found. And a few, such as "The Enormous Space," "The Object of the Attack," and "Memories of the Space Age" are as good as Ballard gets. High ...more
Keith Kenniff
Jul 05, 2007 Keith Kenniff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite book of short stories. I read this all practically in one sitting, totally enthralled by each surreal world that Ballard transports you to.
Daniel Gualtieri
This is a really top-notch collection of stories; Ballard has a very unique voice, dark and subversive but also visionary and forward-looking. While many of his themes in this book involve visions of futures gone awry, he maintains an often-tragic beauty in his style. Amazing writing, with some really interesting metafictional structures (most notably in The Index, one of the best stories in the book). My favorite story overall was probably Notes Toward a Mental Breakdown, an incredible exercise ...more
Dana Jerman
Nov 21, 2009 Dana Jerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think one of my favorite stories of all time is in this collection. A group of space explorers lands on an abandoned station. They take a survey of it, only to discover that the more they explore, the bigger it gets until they are completely lost and totally consumed. RIP J.G.
Lee Foust
Oct 11, 2016 Lee Foust rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, J. G. Ballard, the sci fi writer who inspired so many of my favorite bands--Joy Division, The Normal, and Siouxsie and the Banshees, only to name a few. This collection includes, I surmise, the texts that inspired the Mekons' "Ghosts of American Astronauts." If not, it should be, if only to sooth my paranoid sensibilities. Sensibilities, I might add, which these stories both soothe and prod, like a tongue on a sorely loose tooth, provoking fantasy, pleasure, and a little--perhaps welcome?--p ...more
Del
Dec 31, 2016 Del rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Note to self: Dream Cargoes, where an island bursts into life and Memories of the Space Age, where time comes to a standstill at Cape Kennedy are my favourites (and the most classically "Ballard").
Abby
This is your quality Ballard--strange, stark scenery, satisfying sentences, shrewish wives and beautiful, catatonic babes, rends and mends in the time-space continuum, attractive loneliness. I'm mystified as usual by this strange hatred of women, and of society in general, really. Bad dialogue. But I'm also drawn along by the series of compelling premises, the acrobatics of Ballard's mind. I read the following story and the one after that because I want to know what this guy is going to do next.
Emilio
Aug 05, 2013 Emilio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my money, J G Ballard was always a much better short story writer than novelist, and this is one of his better collections, containing a fine selection of some mid-period experimental works (e.g., "Answers to a Questionnaire"), as well as his trademark portraits of minds descending to very suburban forms of madness ("The Enormous Space") or nostalgic takes on present technology ("Memories of the Space Age"). The original hardcover of this book is one of my prized possessions.
Fantasymundo
Sep 08, 2015 Fantasymundo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciencia-ficción
Impecablemente editada por Berenice, los relatos van firmados por la fecha en que fueron escritos, detalle muy de agradecer para el Habitante Incierto. Lectura imprescindible para quien quiera enfrentarse continuar leyendo
S.
He always has a cold brilliance.

"It was curious that images of heaven or paradise always presented a static world, not the kinetic eternity one would expect, the roller-coaster of a hyperactive funfair, the screaming Luna Parks of LSD and psilocybin. It was a strange paradox that given eternity, an infinity of time, they chose to eliminate the very element offered in such abundance."
Chadwick
Jul 02, 2007 Chadwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a sitting, and I felt physically disjointed for days afterwards. This is not Ballard's very best collection, but it is nonetheless amazing. The story "The Astronaut" has haunted me ever since.
Lenoir
Aug 16, 2008 Lenoir rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, sci-fi
I've had this book of short stories for years and had only read a few of them for a class I took in college. Some of them were very good and others I didn't really care for. JG Ballard passed away on the day I began the book.
Mohammed
Jul 07, 2009 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
My first JG. Ballard and its a very good collection. He is an author that makes you think about he is writing. His themes really work for me. I must read much more of him.

Quality stories in this collection War Fever,The Secret History of World War 3.
Luke
Dec 29, 2012 Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every story in this book. Ballard shines best in the short-story format, and this is a great collection. This is also a wise place to start for people not familiar with his work.
Nick
Oct 11, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of perfectly sharpened, concise little letters of hate to culture and geopolitics of the 1980s.
Gerald Lucas
Mar 22, 2008 Gerald Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Spanning sf, fantasy, and the twilight zone. These stories are what I think of when I hear J. G. Ballard.
Mike
Aug 28, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these are great, standouts even for Ballard. I don't recommend it as your first Ballard short story collection necessarily, but there's a lot of great stuff here if you're a fan.
Juan Antonio
Una sucesión de relatos cortos que me han dejado un sabor agridulce. Siempre tengo la misma sensación con todo lo que leo de este autor: podía haber estado bien.
Melissa
Jun 16, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great collection from Ballard. I especially enjoyed War Fever, The Secret History of World War 3, and The Air Disaster.
Mr. King
Mr. King rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2007
Roseann Majors
Roseann Majors rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Cullen
Cullen rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Kevin Chitty
Kevin Chitty rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Sasha Duchamp
Sasha Duchamp rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2008
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2013
  • Howard Who?
  • Beyond the Curve
  • Passages
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • Thirst
  • Gnarl!: Stories
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #2)
  • Best European Fiction 2011
  • Jump and Other Stories
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • Ribofunk
  • The Lives and Times of Jerry Cornelius: Stories of the Comic Apocalypse
  • Heavy Water and Other Stories
  • Virtually Normal
  • A Good Old-Fashioned Future
  • Mario and The Magician: & other stories
  • Memories of My Father Watching TV
  • The Knife Thrower and Other Stories
James Graham "J. G." Ballard (15 November 1930 – 19 April 2009) was an English novelist, short story writer, and essayist. Ballard came to be associated with the New Wave of science fiction early in his career with apocalyptic (or post-apocalyptic) novels such as The Drowned World (1962), The Burning World (1964), and The Crystal World (1966). In the late 1960s and early 1970s Ballard focused on a ...more
More about J.G. Ballard...